• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

TDLink

I actually liked Iron Man 3 but I still think it stands a good chance of being the worst of Phase 2.

Guardians will be the best no doubt, but I'd give second to either the 70s thriller or the medival fantasy.

These are my thoughts too. I really liked Iron Man 3 quite a bit. GotG is going to rock peoples' faces and Cap still feels kind of like an unknown at this point...it could go either way. Thor is looking solid.

The "worst" of these movies is still going to end up being damn good though, I am pretty confident of that.

Mafro

Hey guys, I read Ultimates 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them. Are there any other good runs in that universe?
Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimate Galactus trilogy are all very good. I haven't read Ultimate Fantastic Four, so can't comment on that.

BigDes

The Ultimate stuff post Ultimatum by Hickman is pretty good

Ultimate Spider-Man is really good though does depend entirely on your ability to tolerate Bendis talk

Because seriously Bendis sort your Rocket Raccoon writing out

So I picked up the Mark Waid/Ron Garney Captain America Operation Rebirth Hardcover for 50% off at my comic book store and I must say this story would be a good basis for the third Cap movie.

kai3345

Banned
Has there been any word if Hawkeye is going to be sidekickin' it in any of the movies leading up to Avengers 2? Similar to Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and Cap 2

Has there been any word if Hawkeye is going to be sidekickin' it in any of the movies leading up to Avengers 2? Similar to Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and Cap 2

Doesn't seem like it.

Renner's on a bit of an acting break at the moment, so we won't see him until Avengers 2 at the earliest.

Honestly its the most logical decision. Renner wants out of acting for a while, Hawkeye is unfortunately the most expendable character (considering he's 1 of 2 B-listers while the other is the only female Avenger) and the roster is about to bulge even more. I bet they Cyclops his ass.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Screw you guys, i'm still hoping for a Renner/Barton redemption. Or coolness. Or purpose. Or reason :(

I think Thor was a good reveal lead-in but after the first half of The Avengers they've got a lot of work to do to get him back on track. Have him guest star in the SHIELD show!

ZeroFate

IM3 was... terrible. I tried to like it GAF, I really did. The more time that passes (been a week) the more I just hate how LAZY it is. The twist was lazy, the ending was lazy, and RDJ was lazy (phoned in every single somewhat emotional moment). Not to mention it was so "try hard' with the jokes this time around. Re-watch IM1 and you'll immediately notice a stark (fry.jpg) difference in the amount of humor both films had.

Luckily I wasn't expecting much after the abysmal IM2 (which 3 is barely barely beats out). I'm sure Cap and Thor will save this lackluster start to phase 2. They're looking much more promising, that's for sure.

First post here, so excuse me if this has been posted: http://www.superherohype.com/featur...erherohype-chats-with-marvel-prez-kevin-feige

SHH: You’re very meticulous about how you’ve introduced things into the Marvel Universe whether it’s technology or magic. What aspect of the Marvel Universe would you want to introduce next that’s still out there and how can that be connected to what you’ve done before? Is there a way to bring Daredevil and street crime into this current world or is that too far off from what we’ve already seen?

Feige: No, I think that frankly would be easy. We’re still exploring the stuff that’s not as easy, which is we’ve been to Asgard, we’ve been through the Bifrost. We peeked a little bit through that portal at the end of the Avengers and now obviously in “Thor: The Dark World” and particularly in “Guardians of the Galaxy” we’re going full bore through that portal to literally the other side of the Marvel Universe, the entire universe, to explore the cosmic side of our characters and our storylines. That I think we’ve only still experienced the surface of that, and there’s much more to be done there.

SHH: Some of the cast have been saying that they don’t think there will be an “Iron Man 4.” Is it too early to make a statement like that? How do you feel about that? Do you feel it’s time to allow another character to step into the spotlight? Does Tony Stark need a rest?

Feige: Well, no, I think people say that because we’re not developing “Iron Man 4.” Currently, as you may imagine, Iron Man is a big part of “Avengers 2” and that’s what we’re focusing on and what Joss (Whedon) is focusing on. So where we go after that remains to be seen, but certainly, “Avengers 2” being the next appearance, the next storyline for Iron Man. Do I think there will be another Iron Man movie? Of course I do. Who will be in that movie and who will be a part of that movie? Who knows? And how far down the line will it be? Will it be right after “Avengers 2,” will it be a few years after “Avengers 2”? Who knows? For as advanced as we are in terms of the advanced planning that we do, we’re already looking out to 2015, 2016 and that’s further than most people look out. Beyond that, we’re still not sure.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Namor should be the villain in one of the FF reboot sequels.

...Fox doesnt have the rights to him...please no , he pre dates the FF4 by 20 or so years , Namor has tons of material on his own besides his role of being an a dick to all other characters in the marvel U.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Feige talks Dr. Strange and Hulk in Phase 3

Dr. Strange
"Within the next year or so we'll really start the advanced planning on post - Avengers 2, and I would love Strange to be a part of that. There's a whole supernatural/magic dimension going on in Marvel comics that we haven't ever touched on."

Hulk
" There's no script in the works or anything, but we are talking about it. All the Hulk energy right now is on Avengers 2, but Mark Ruffalo is signed up [for more films]. What we're excited about exploring and expanding is Mark - and Bruce Banner is not in Planet Hulk at all. The fun of Hulk is his interaction with humans."

So no Planet Hulk. Thank God.

J10

Banned
" There's no script in the works or anything, but we are talking about it. All the Hulk energy right now is on Avengers 2, but Mark Ruffalo is signed up [for more films]. What we're excited about exploring and expanding is Mark - and Bruce Banner is not in Planet Hulk at all. The fun of Hulk is his interaction with humans."

Much the same way Mandarin isn't in Iron Man 3. Just shut the fuck up and put Banner in a Planet Hulk movie. You're a producer.

nomis

Seeing the film this Tuesday. If it's like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Lethal Weapon 2 I'll be more than happy. So glad my mom introduced me to those films when I visited her last year.

It's 50% Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and 50% Lethal Weapon 2. With iron-suits and
lava people

Pre

It takes the brilliant dialogue of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and attaches a plot that actually makes some kind of sense to it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
the casting for these movies have been AMAZING. Especially stoked for Cap 2, not only is my favorite actor Captain America himself (Chris Evans <3) but Emily Van Camp is the female lead in the film I've read :) and Anthony Mackie rocks too!

Pre

the casting for these movies have been AMAZING. Especially stoked for Cap 2, not only is my favorite actor Captain America himself (Chris Evans <3) but Emily Van Camp is the female lead in the film I've read :) and Anthony Mackie rocks too!

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for Cap 2. Iron Man is my favorite MCU hero, but Captain America is my favorite overall Marvel hero.

I prefer the street-level Marvel books (Cap, Daredevil, Punisher, etc.) because they're more grounded and not as prone to the excesses we see in the cosmic Marvel universe, and that naturally carries over to the MCU. I'm excited to see Falcon and Crossbones on the big screen. Cap 2 will be a blast.

Anth0ny

wat

I'm pretty sure he is. There's the brief period before he gets sent into space, and they could extend the stuff between Bruce and Caiera if they really MUST insist that Ruffalo gets x amount of minutes on screen. On the whole, the Hulk should dominate screen time in a Hulk movie. No one gives a shit about puny Banner.

And no, the fun of Hulk is watching him smash shit. I've never heard a louder pop in the movie theatre than

s9OKtub.gif

And Planet Hulk/World War Hulk is the very definition of Hulk smashing shit.

Nelo Ice

Banned
wat

I'm pretty sure he is. There's the brief period before he gets sent into space, and they could extend the stuff between Bruce and Caiera if they really MUST insist that Ruffalo gets x amount of minutes on screen. On the whole, the Hulk should dominate screen time in a Hulk movie. No one gives a shit about puny Banner.

And no, the fun of Hulk is watching him smash shit. I've never heard a louder pop in the movie theatre than

http://i.imgur.com/s9OKtub.gif

And Planet Hulk/World War Hulk is the very definition of Hulk smashing shit.

Yup, this right here got such a huge pop when I saw Avengers during opening weekend. It was so loud I couldn't hear the "puny god" line.

FYC

Banned
What's everyones opinion on Thor? I've not seen many superhero films yet but I'd like to give 'em a shot. Thor is one of the few I have available to me on Netflix, curious about the consensus.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Same here. Both thunderous laughter and applause for at least 10 seconds. So good.

Speaking of which love watching the MCU movies in theaters, just for the pops. During IM3 everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves during with all the quips and jokes. Of course nothing has topped seeing all the pops during the Avengers.

Forever

Banned
Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimate Galactus trilogy are all very good. I haven't read Ultimate Fantastic Four, so can't comment on that.

Ultimate Spider-man

Yes read ultimate iron wars by warren Ellis and ultimate spider man by bendis

Thanks for the recs guys. I already knew to stay away from Ultimates 3, but I was hoping there was more worthwhile runs in the universe. I read Ultimate Galactus and thought it was just okay but it seems that everyone likes Ultimate Spider-Man so I'll go with that next.

While I'm soliciting advice, what's the best of animated Marvel? The only cartoons I've ever watched are DC. I hear that EMH is pretty good but I watched the Captain America episode and wasn't really impressed. What are the best movies/episodes?

Pre

What's everyones opinion on Thor? I've not seen many superhero films yet but I'd like to give 'em a shot. Thor is one of the few I have available to me on Netflix, curious about the consensus.

I think it's down there with Hulk as one of the weakest MCU films. It's not bad, but I think it suffered from the need to set things up for the Avengers. Not much time is spent exploring Thor as a character or the other realms. Thor 2 seems like it'll fix that.

In my opinion it's the second best solo film of Phase 1 behind Iron Man, and then only by a narrow margin. I love it. It's an artistic approach by an artistic director with some good humor thrown in. The casting is fantastic and the aesthetic is beautiful. The only weak point is the romance.

Anth0ny

While I'm soliciting advice, what's the best of animated Marvel? The only cartoons I've ever watched are DC. I hear that EMH is pretty good but I watched the Captain America episode and wasn't really impressed. What are the best movies/episodes?

this

all of it!

Pre

Thanks for the recs guys. I already knew to stay away from Ultimates 3, but I was hoping there was more worthwhile runs in the universe. I read Ultimate Galactus and thought it was just okay but it seems that everyone likes Ultimate Spider-Man so I'll go with that next.

Ultimate Spidey is the only Marvel book I read with any consistency (though the recent Ultimate X-Men run has been solid). I like Bendis best when he's not doing seventy-five Avengers books.

Hey guys, I read Ultimates 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them. Are there any other good runs in that universe?

Ultimate Spider-Man is probably my favorite super-hero comic, period. I love the way Bendis writes the dialogue, since the entire universe is a reboot he has all kinds of really great ideas to revisit/tweak/refresh storylines from the 616 world, lots of his own great ideas and new characters too. I think it is the most consistant of all the Ultimate books, I've been reading it since #1 and I can't think of a time when I've ever been let down. I always save it for last when I get my books because I know I'll finish reading satisfied.

Ultimate Fantastic Four started out really, really great. They were taking their time building the team up from scratch, really going in depth into the science and biology of how their powers work, where they got their names from, all that stuff. It was so cool and interesting. They Kierkman started that fucking Marvel Zombies bullshit, and the universes crossed, they switched writers and all that team building and exploration took a big shit goodbye. Suddenly and abruptly they went from exploring their powers to just being a team, because that's what Zombie Universe Reed told Ultimate Reed to do.

Like, Mister Fantastic is such a stupid name, but they were doing a really good job of building up to Reed getting named that by Johnny and Ben, (he'd build things and call them the Fantasti-something, and you could tell that Mister Fantastic was going to be a name given to him to mock him). They got into the science of how Johnny's skin was able to catch on fire, and how Reed's guts enabled him to stretch without crapping everywhere. And then in a single instant it was all just gone and everyone had their names and they were a team. That really really bothered me.

I hope they don't do World War Hulk/Planet Hulk. They already dealt with Hulk as a pissed off monster that could be dangerous and untrustworthy. And it'd be lame in the aftermath of Thanos.

Screw you guys, i'm still hoping for a Renner/Barton redemption. Or coolness. Or purpose. Or reason :(

I think Thor was a good reveal lead-in but after the first half of The Avengers they've got a lot of work to do to get him back on track. Have him guest star in the SHIELD show!

They should get Matt Fraction to script a Marvel one-shot with Renner. Give him something fun and lively to attempt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really wonder what IM3 means for the rest of the MCU when you look at the reception. It's doing good numbers, but it's also the Marvel film with the most mixed reception I've ever seen, and is very love or hate. I'm still conflicted myself as to what side of the fence I'm on but the reaction has been unanimously split from what I've seen, and that goes for IRL took not just on GAF. A lot of disagreements when exiting the theatre. I wonder if this will impact how well the future of the MCU is received or if fatigue will set in earlier.

In Feige we trust.

I wonder. If we get a Captain Marvel movie, will she be played by a super-A-lister, or will Marvel continue with the amazing casting choices that aren't huge names? Latter is obviously preferable.

ScarJo and Sam Jackson are the only two that fit the huge name definition (maybe RDJ...? Where was he before IM1?), and while they're good, I would prefer casting choices like... well, everyone else.

Top Bottom