• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

nqhoPIp.gif

Exactly. I don't buy the "We can't do Planet Hulk because it has no Banner!" line at all.

ij127cjGN83mN.gif

Fixed

Exactly. I don't buy the "We can't do Planet Hulk because it has no Banner!" line at all.
Eh. We'd be talking about a movie where the main character was CG on top of a supporting cast that was all aliens that may or may not need to also be CG. Granted GotG is going to be close to that but at least the main character is human(ish) and most everyone else can get away with just makeup. What I'm saying though is that it would be crazy expensive.

Fuck Planet Hulk, hope they don't adapt it. Hulk is way more interesting as a wildcard.

And I'm gonna go against my previous post and discuss IM3 a bit. Light spoiler to follow.

Some people have been complaining about the other Avengers not showing up in Iron Man 3 and while I can see the absence of SHIELD and Cap annoying a few people I really don't understand why they expected Hulk to show up or even be useful. Hulk is in no way a precise weapon and even in Avengers he was only used to wreak havoc and smash things. Even if Banner can "aim" Hulk to some extent having him show up at the final battle would only have resulted in a larger amount of chaos. He works best as an all out brawler and should in my opinion only be used a such.

And one of my favorite moments in the film that non of my friends caught was when Tony uses the refrigerator door as a shield and then looks at it like he now understands why Cap is so fond of his shield.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
The actual Mandarin is a fairly heavy hitter. People seem to think leaving him out of the movies is a good idea based on his origins as a racial stereotype, but AFAIK the character hasn't been like that in the comics for a long, long time. I mean, he is a mustache-twirler just like Red Skull as opposed to being a properly developed character, but again they could have made him more sympathetic without changing the character (which they didn't do for Red Skull in Captain America: the First Avenger) if they'd felt like it.

It just seems to me the film's interpretation comes from someone who just plain dislikes the Mandarin and thus got a kick out of eliciting laughs at the character's expense. And yes, it's the Rha's al Ghul thing all over again. Why bother using the character's name if you're changing him so completely (even more so here)?

I'm okay with the Mandarin changes. Casual movie-goers don't have much attachment to him; he isn't the only heavy-hitter of the Marvel universe, and when compared to many of the other rogues such as Thanos, Ultron, Red Skull, Loki, Kingpin, MODOK, Mephisto, The Leader, Kang, Dormammu, Abomination, Baron Zemo, Bullseye, Enchantress, and Annihulus, I see the changes being acceptable.

And that doesn't even include those barred from X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Onslaught, etc), Spider-Man (Green Goblin, Venom, Doc Ock), and Fantastic Four (Doom, Galactus, Surfer) properties being licensed out. Of the aforementioned villains, I can see MODOK being changed drastically, along with The Leader, to the point of comic fans being disappointed.

The Mandarin character in Iron Man 3 had impact,
although he was not an imposing threat in terms of combat.
I still retain the idea that I want Madame Masque, The Hood, and Maggia to make their presence known in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now that Kingpin is back at Marvel, the underground crime syndicates can thrive.

Forever

Banned
I need some help from the hardcore nerds as I sort through the Ultimate Spider-Man read order. I think I've got everything in the right place but where do I put Ultimate Doomsday in relation to the Spider-Man issues? Here is the reading order I've got so far. Just trying to fit Doomsday in there.

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-7
Ultimate Team-Up 1-3
Ultimate Spider-Man 8-13
Ultimate Team-Up 4-8
Ultimate Spider-Man 14-21
Ultimate Team-Up 10-16
Ultimate Spider-Man 22-28
Ultimate Spider-Man Super-Special
Ultimate Spider-Man 29-45
Ultimate Spider-Man 1/2
Ultimate Spider-Man 46
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 47-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-128
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 129-133
Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160

edit: Found a list that places it between UCSM 14 and 15.

And one of my favorite moments in the film that non of my friends caught was when Tony uses the refrigerator door as a shield and then looks at it like he now understands why Cap is so fond of his shield.

Lol. Didn't really catch that even though I made a mental note of it.

I'm okay with the Mandarin changes. Casual movie-goers don't have much attachment to him; he isn't the only heavy-hitter of the Marvel universe, and when compared to many of the other rogues such as Thanos, Ultron, Red Skull, Loki, Kingpin, MODOK, Mephisto, The Leader, Kang, Dormammu, Abomination, Baron Zemo, Bullseye, Enchantress, and Annihulus, I see the changes being acceptable.

And that doesn't even include those barred from X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Onslaught, etc), Spider-Man (Green Goblin, Venom, Doc Ock), and Fantastic Four (Doom, Galactus, Surfer) properties being licensed out. Of the aforementioned villains, I can see MODOK being changed drastically, along with The Leader, to the point of comic fans being disappointed.

The Mandarin character in Iron Man 3 had impact,
although he was not an imposing threat in terms of combat.
I still retain the idea that I want Madame Masque, The Hood, and Maggia to make their presence known in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now that Kingpin is back at Marvel, the underground crime syndicates can thrive.

Sony only loaned Kingpin to fox for Daredevil so he is still not available.

Is that true? I'm guessing they would have him through Spider-Man but that doesn't make sense considering he has larger ties to Daredevil.
Yup. http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/171409-exclusive-talking-with-the-producers-of-the-amazing-spider-man

Also how much money does Tony have? His company haven't built weapons for the government since the first Iron Man (only a guess, since his whole redemption thing) it seemed like that was that was Stark Industries main source of income. Those suits most cost a fortune to build, if i remember correctly they state in a comic that each one costs about one billion dollars.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I really don't understand why they haven't. They're not nearly as conservative as they used to be when it comes to branding PG-13 fare as Disney.

They paid more than $4 billion for Marvel. They might as well get some mind share out of it.

Plus, they're almost certainly going to brand Star Wars Ep. VII as a Disney film.

As much as Disney is getting less conservative, I still think it's a bit of a stretch for them to put their logo over a movie where the main character calls a kid
a pussy for being sad that his dad left him.
Not sure what I'm supposed to spoiler or not, so playing it safe!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Yup. http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/171409-exclusive-talking-with-the-producers-of-the-amazing-spider-man

Also how much money does Tony have? His company haven't built weapons for the government since the first Iron Man (only a guess, since his whole redemption thing) it seemed like that was that was Stark Industries main source of income. Those suits most cost a fortune to build, if i remember correctly they state in a comic that each one costs about one billion dollars.

Bummer about Kingpin. In any case, sans Kingpin, the underground crime syndicate can still be used effectively with the following characters:

The Hood, Madame Masque, Jigsaw, Bullseye, The Owl, Crimson Cowl/Justine Hammer, Wizard, Mister Fear, Crossfire, Slug, Grim Reaper, Mister Hyde, and Count Nefaria.

I'm guessing Hammerhead, Tombstone, and Silvermane are under Spider-Man.

I don't know where Mister Negative or Underworld reside in terms of ownership for movie rights since they have frequented as a Spider-Man villains.

I'm guessing the SHIELD tv show will deal with HYDRA and AIM, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crime syndicates get air time in their own show with Cage/Iron First/Daredevil/Punisher/Jessica Jones or a season within the SHIELD show.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Stark Industries has shifted it's focus to other, less aggressive, technology.

That, and the patents of the stuff Tony invents over lunch make crazy money.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
As much as Disney is getting less conservative, I still think it's a bit of a stretch for them to put their logo over a movie where the main character calls a kid
a pussy for being sad that his dad left him.
Not sure what I'm supposed to spoiler or not, so playing it safe!

On the other hand, Shane Black said that he originally wanted to incorporated the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline into IM3, but it was Disney that nixed it. This is probably why we won't see an R-rated Punisher film anytime soon.

Stark Industries has shifted it's focus to other, less aggressive, technology.

That, and the patents of the stuff Tony invents over lunch make crazy money.

Yeah but the only thing we have seen them make progress in (maybe I'm forgetting something) is clean energy with the Arc Reactor, and even then Stark Tower in Avengers was only a prototype of sorts.

Bummer about Kingpin. In any case, sans Kingpin, the underground crime syndicate can still be used effectively with the following characters:

The Hood, Madame Masque, Jigsaw, Bullseye, The Owl, Crimson Cowl/Justine Hammer, Wizard, Mister Fear, Crossfire, Slug, Grim Reaper, Mister Hyde, and Count Nefaria.

I'm guessing Hammerhead, Tombstone, and Silvermane are under Spider-Man.

I don't know where Mister Negative or Underworld reside in terms of ownership for movie rights since they have frequented as a Spider-Man villains.

I'm guessing the SHIELD tv show will deal with HYDRA and AIM, but I wouldn't mind seeing the crime syndicates get air time in their own show with Cage/Iron First/Daredevil/Punisher/Jessica Jones or a season within the SHIELD show.

Man I would love to see the Crimson Cowl show up in a movie at some point.

Yeah but the only thing we have seen them make progress in (maybe I'm forgetting something) is clean energy with the Arc Reactor, and even then Stark Tower in Avengers was only a prototype of sorts.

I'd assume that Stark Industries was somewhat diversified prior to its divestment in arms, much like many other major corporations in the world. Stark Industries is probably a player in a lot of different tech markets.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I need some help from the hardcore nerds as I sort through the Ultimate Spider-Man read order. I think I've got everything in the right place but where do I put Ultimate Doomsday in relation to the Spider-Man issues? Here is the reading order I've got so far. Just trying to fit Doomsday in there.

edit: Found a list that places it between UCSM 14 and 15.

Thanks for this list, now I can go try to complete my collection. I've got all the numbered issues and Ultimate Six.

Forever

Banned
Thanks for this list, now I can go try to complete my collection. I've got all the numbered issues and Ultimate Six.

Here's my amended full list:

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-7
Ultimate Team-Up 1-3
Ultimate Spider-Man 8-13
Ultimate Team-Up 4-8
Ultimate Spider-Man 14-21
Ultimate Team-Up 10-16
Ultimate Spider-Man 22-28
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special
Ultimate Spider-Man 29-45
Ultimate Spider-Man 1/2
Ultimate Spider-Man 46
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 47-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-128
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 129-133
Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-14
Ultimate Enemy
Ultimate Mystery
Ultimate Doom
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160
I think the Miles Morales issues are relatively straightforward so far so I'm not bothering to list those.

LOL.

I want to contribute but I don't want to get in trouble.

I'm a HUGE lurker to this thread.
Is this some kind of a reason that we will eventually find out about, or is it like a kept-on-lockdown-forever type of industry thing?

Here's my amended full list:

I think the Miles Morales issues are relatively straightforward so far so I'm not bothering to list those.

Yeah the only thing they've done with UC:SM is the Spider-Men mini series, which I haven't read so I don't know where it goes. Unless it was part of the actual series.

Though to be honest you don't really need to read any of the crossover shit. Bendis does a really good job of incorporating the bigger events in the UMU in the main USM book to limit the necessity to buy like 10 different books. Buying the mini-series will give you perspectives other than Peter's, but if you're just cruising the USM series then the main events are also pretty well represented in there.

Forever

Banned
Yeah the only thing they've done with UC:SM is the Spider-Men mini series, which I haven't read so I don't know where it goes. Unless it was part of the actual series.

Though to be honest you don't really need to read any of the crossover shit. Bendis does a really good job of incorporating the bigger events in the UMU in the main USM book to limit the necessity to buy like 10 different books. Buying the mini-series will give you perspectives other than Peter's, but if you're just cruising the USM series then the main events are also pretty well represented in there.

I'm only picking stuff that Bendis has worked on as well, so that there's some actual continuity there in terms of vision and writing.

I'm only picking stuff that Bendis has worked on as well, so that there's some actual continuity there in terms of vision and writing.

Good plan. Don't get me wrong, the other books are still good. I have the Team Ups hardcover. And honestly the team ups are kind of important, but to the UMU as a whole. At the beginning it seemed that Bendis was the main force behind everything going on in the UMU, he lays some ground work for the whole universe in the Team-Up book with Hulk.

I just wasn't sure if you were trying to stay streamlined with JUST the Ultimate Spidey books, because the other stuff isn't required reading in that case.

Edit: In fact I don't think I even read any of the Ultimate Enemy/Mystery/Doom books.

And I don't know if that Doom is just doom in general or the character, but they had such an awesome, AWESOME thing going with Ultimate Doom before they just fucked the whole UFF book over. Too many writers came in and didn't understand it was a fresh take on the characters so that they didn't have to adhere to the traits of the 616 versions, and they just dicked everything over. Ultimate Doom was like a monster when he started out, now he's just a guy. Complete waste.

Edit 2: Also, the Dr Doom in the Ultimate Team-Ups gets retconned out of existence, FYI. Bendis (and Marvel) didn't know they would be doing an actual Ultimate Fantastic Four book at that time, and when they did get the real series going, they changed everything up.

Anth0ny

Eh. We'd be talking about a movie where the main character was CG on top of a supporting cast that was all aliens that may or may not need to also be CG. Granted GotG is going to be close to that but at least the main character is human(ish) and most everyone else can get away with just makeup. What I'm saying though is that it would be crazy expensive.

John_carter_poster.jpg

This movie had a higher budget than AVATAR. Disney don't give a fuck. Compare this bomba with a surefire hit from Marvel Studios.

If they wanted to make a Planet Hulk movie, expense is not an issue.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/John_carter_poster.jpg

This movie had a higher budget than AVATAR. Disney don't give a fuck. Compare this bomba with a surefire hit from Marvel Studios.

Lol, I think that movie would probably make them more hesitant. Also John Carter stars a human and largely interacts with humans (well human looking people) for a large part of the movie. Now imagine how much more John Carter would have cost had John Carter been CG 80% of the time.

Forever

Banned
I just wasn't sure if you were trying to stay streamlined with JUST the Ultimate Spidey books, because the other stuff isn't required reading in that case.

I'm really liking this stuff so I'm looking for the most complete experience possible. I'm not in any rush so there's no need to streamline anything.

Blader

John_carter_poster.jpg

Right, the problem with Planet Hulk is that Disney would be paying for a lead actor that would minimally if at all throughout the movie.

TDLink

I don't see how rocket raccoon can work. I'm unfamiliar with his character but a short raccoon with a RPG? Sames kind of stupid.

Well you can either read Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 by Abnett and Lanning or wait until this movie comes out. Ultimately, you are wrong and you will see that once you do one of the aforementioned things.

I don't see how rocket raccoon can work. I'm unfamiliar with his character but a short raccoon with a RPG? Sames kind of stupid.

It works because they play it pretty straight. Just gotta roll with it, he's a talking raccoon who likes to blow things up. He's very much his own character.

hamchan

They'll just have him there. Have someone comment on the ridiculous of it. Get some laughs. Done.

Come Avengers 2, RDJ says a funny line about how he's working with a raccoon. Done.

Top Bottom