• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Are you sure about that? Is their an official quote about that? I could have sworn after Avengers Feige said they could have used Skrulls if they wanted to but they decided to do Chitauri because they didn't want to get into the whole shape shifting thing and overcomplicate the film (even though the Chitauri in the comics could masquerade as humans as well)

super skrull is with fox, not the skrull race.

TDLink

At the end of Iron Man 3 it says "Iron Man will return" is that in reference to Avengers 2, a hint that there will be an Iron man 4, or just that one way or another there will be more Iron Man in the future?

It actually says "Tony Stark Will Return". It is obviously just saying that he will be in Avengers 2.

The other great moment in it is when Silver Surfer gets turned to 11 and unleashed on everyone. A definite FUCK YEAH moment.

Unfortunately they wouldn't be able to use him either. Using the entire GotG in the story (instead of just Gamora and Drax) can make up for it though,

How would you even do Civil War when all of the superheros in the current universe have not so secret identities? Hell, the only two people in the Avengers who don't work for SHIELD are the Hulk and Iron Man.

TDLink

Ah I see. Is there a list of what villians/charecters are part of the FF Fox deal?

The initial deal was:

Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, Galactus, and the ability to use The Skrulls are part of a separate additional deal signed with FOX that is now attached to the original FF deal. Apparently they can let this other deal go separately if they want though considering there were negotiations to do so last fall before Daredevil returned to Marvel.

FYC

Banned
What are the best Thor comics / animated shorts? There are a few animated Thor specials on Netflix that sound neat.

Unfortunately they wouldn't be able to use him either. Using the entire GotG in the story (instead of just Gamora and Drax) can make up for it though,
I know they can't use Surfer, and it sucks. That moment was totally awesome too.
And since no Galactus either, they would have to lost the whole thing of him being enslaved and weaponized.

But they have enough with Annihilus going from planet to planet and wiping out all life. That is badass enough for a film.

TDLink

I know they can't use Surfer, and it sucks. That moment was totally awesome too.
And since no Galactus either, they would have to lost the whole thing of him being enslaved and weaponized.

But they have enough with Annihilus going from planet to planet and wiping out all life. That is badass enough for a film.

Annihilus can just have a giant planet draining super weapon that isn't Galactus and that plot can more or less remain the same.

Really taking the Galactus (and also Silver Surfer/other Heralds) part out probably is better for a movie version anyways. It adds less for the audience to keep track of and would make the story tighter (even if some of that stuff is great).

What are the best Thor comics / animated shorts? There are a few animated Thor specials on Netflix that sound neat.
Get a hold of the Walt Simonson run of comics. Epic stuff.
And I am a huge fan of the Jurgens/Romita Jr. run. Especially the first twelve issues. The final showdown with the Dark Gods was so awesome. That one line of "Odin has rendered evil obsolete." just gets me every time I read the story. What Odin does to the bad guys is so awesome they can't show it. It is only a blast of light. Like a boss.

The initial deal was:

Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, Galactus, and the ability to use The Skrulls are part of a separate additional deal signed with FOX that is now attached to the original FF deal. Apparently they can let this other deal go separately if they want though considering there were negotiations to do so last fall before Daredevil returned to Marvel.

I'm pretty sure that was a bogus rumor

If Fox has the rights to that version of Nova does that prevent Marvel from using other versions of the character?

TDLink

I'm pretty sure that was a bogus rumor

If Fox has the rights to that version of Nova does that prevent Marvel from using other versions of the character?

It's a completely different character, just the same name. (Confusing I know). It's not an issue either way as it is listed in the agreement like that exactly (with the name Frankie Raye). So it is just her specifically.

The "Nova" FOX can use (that no one cares about):
250px-NovaFrankie.png

The badass Nova that is a huge part of cosmic Marvel and will likely be in the MCU:

Annihilus can just have a giant planet draining super weapon that isn't Galactus and that plot can more or less remain the same.

Really taking the Galactus (and also Silver Surfer/other Heralds) part out probably is better for a movie version anyways. It adds less for the audience to keep track of and would make the story tighter (even if some of that stuff is great).

I agree. Streamlines it with less characters from so many different things, but keeps the villain a huge threat. I wonder if they did it if they would even drag in Ronan the Accuser or Quasar.

TDLink

I agree. Streamlines it with less characters from so many different things, but keeps the villain a huge threat. I wonder if they did it if they would even drag in Ronan the Accuser or Quasar.

I think they would definitely use Quasar since that also would set up the ability to use Phyla in a future movie and what happens with him is a major character builder for Richard Rider. Plus the Quantum Bands are a big part of Annihilus' power in the final fight. Ronan they could probably go without and since they are introducing Gamora in GotG they will probably radically change her story anyways (which basically removes most of the Ronan part of Annihilation). Streamlining the movie around being Nova's movie really is the right way to go since he was the main character for the main story anyways. Throw in the GotG in the third act and it can make for a really strong film.

So now that Daredevil is back with Marvel, do you think we'll be getting a movie in phase 3?

No. Marvel is solely focused on Avengers and Cosmic (if GotG does well) at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a film post-phase 3 though or showed up on TV.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If GotG takes off, we will definitely see Nova in a sequel. He is too popular with the fans not to use him.
Or he should get his own movie, but I think this is probably more logical.

I think Nova sonning Iron Man would be cool for Avengers 2/3, and he'll just leave them to battle alone out of frustration or something.

Which leads me to believe there has to be some tie in to the current roster Cap/Thor/Iron Man/Avengers something
Apparently it's completely standalone with possibly only a joking reference to the Avengers but no more. They stress that they're on the other side of the galaxy and could care less about Earth.

TDLink

If GotG takes off, we will definitely see Nova in a sequel. He is too popular with the fans not to use him.

Yes and they basically have to use Annihilation if they want to give him his "origin story" to becoming Nova Prime (pre-Annihilation Richard is completely different and not the cool character we all want, it is that specific event that makes him the great hero he is). That is why I am pretty excited/hopeful that Annihilation on the big screen could actually happen. There have been hints that the Nova Corps as a concept will be present in GotG as well, so the audience would be able to relate to the loss if it happens in the follow up.

Which leads me to believe there has to be some tie in to the current roster Cap/Thor/Iron Man/Avengers something

No. They said there won't be. It will have the Marvel logo and perhaps "from the makers of [other mcu movies]" and that will be it. It's a space epic, they should be able to market it well enough. Thanos will almost certainly be the only "crossover" character.

Or he should get his own movie, but I think this is probably more logical.

I think Nova sonning Iron Man would be cool for Avengers 2/3, and he'll just leave them to battle alone out of frustration or something.

I agree, and that is essentially what Annihilation would be (primarily).

Blader

Shit! I completely forgot about that! It's practically the coolest thing in the whole story:

h72STfR.jpg

NSZFyBJ.jpg

MechDX

Apparently it's completely standalone with possibly only a joking reference to the Avengers but no more. They stress that they're on the other side of the galaxy and could care less about Earth.

No. They said there won't be. It will have the Marvel logo and perhaps "from the makers of [other mcu movies]" and that will be it. It's a space epic, they should be able to market it well enough. Thanos will almost certainly be the only "crossover" character.
).

Then I feel the movie will be doomed. Just my opionion and hope I am wrong but you already built something really good continue building off that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Then I feel the movie will be doomed. Just my opionion and hope I am wrong but you already built something really good continue building off that.

I think it's the toughest sell of all their movies, including Ant-Man, but I think Marvel is going for a direction where there isn't massive overlap, but moreover notions of coexistence. I think they want these movies to converge.

TDLink

Are other movies doomed just because they are original or starts of new franchises? What a ridiculous thing to say. This one even has the bonus of being able to use "part of the MCU" and things like that in its marketing. It can only help, not hurt it.

Continuing to build Avengers is great but eventually people will get sick of just The Avengers and Marvel knows that. That is why they are pushing GotG as something that can set off on its own and run as an essentially separate franchise that is yet still tied into the same Universe. It is the next step to the entire MCU plan. Merge all these franchises into one epic movie (Avengers). Now run another giant franchise next to that giant franchise. Fear of Avengers-burnout is also probably why we are getting (from all accounts) at least three "new" (though still Avengers-related) franchises in Phase 3 rather than just one (GotG) in Phase 2.

Random chance instances aside, nothing good ever happens unless risks are taken. GotG is a huge risk but I really believe it has little chance of failure with the right marketing behind it. I just cannot understand the "already built something good so just keep doing that" mentality. We wouldn't have even gotten Avengers with that mentality, just Iron Man movies.

FlyFaster

Rewatching Iron Man 2....

God DAMN was Black Widow hot in this movie.

IKR!!?!?!?! The long hair was much better then her cut in Avengers.

Ok, new question guys, Civil War idea didn't seem to go over well with most people here.

What about, doing something along the lines of the Armor Wars? Obviously this would be an Iron Man thing, but a multi part armor wars could be pretty cool.

On the contrary I think the only way to keep this whole thing fresh is to try new genres, new approaches, new franchises that can stand on their own. Space opera is back in vogue, GotG will do fine.

I wonder if the Marvel guys had any idea that the Disney/LucasArts deal was in the works?

Releasing a GotG movie the year before Star Wars Episode VII hits, with hype starting to build, seems like a very solid plan. Give people a bit of space opera to whet the appetite.

Jason Aaron's current run on Thor: God of Thunder is pretty awesome. The first story arc, "The God Butcher," just ended with issue #5. Issue #6 was a standalone (and really isn't very good), and the next arc just started with issue #7. Definitely worth checking out.

anaron

Ok, new question guys, Civil War idea didn't seem to go over well with most people here.

What about, doing something along the lines of the Armor Wars? Obviously this would be an Iron Man thing, but a multi part armor wars could be pretty cool.
Ew, anything is better than that menstrual spaghetti wig.

Oh hell naw, the shorter hair in the Avengers was way better. I liked her overall look in the Avengers more than in IM2 though the longer hair was more suited to her undercover role.

Still, I'm not totally crazy about her hair in CA2 right now...

Ovid

Oh hell naw, the shorter hair in the Avengers was way better. I liked her overall look in the Avengers more than in IM2 though the longer hair was more suited to her undercover role.

Still, I'm not totally crazy about her hair in CA2 right now...
I thought she looked better in IM2. Especially in the boxing ring with Happy. Such a babe.

I thought she looked better in IM2. Especially in the boxing ring with Happy. Such a babe.

That was good, though again she was 'undercover' as Natalie Rushman, so I didn't mind her long hair then. It was when she was BW with the long hair...eh, didn't do much for me. Her shorter hair in Avengers worked better for me overall.

I found her really attractive when she was just dressed in jeans and a jacket, though granted, I think she had better clothes in Avengers too.

FlyFaster

That scene where she steps into the "ring" with Tony and there is the silence. That, for me, goes down as classic cinema moment. Such a beauty, up there with Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Taylor, Ingrid Bergman ect. She's got the classic look from the 40s and 50s and it sings to me.

Spinluck

That scene where she steps into the "ring" with Tony and there is the silence. That, for me, goes down as classic cinema moment. Such a beauty, up there with Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Taylor, Ingrid Bergman ect. She's got the classic look from the 40s and 50s and it sings to me.

What scene are you talking about?

If Marvel had the rights I'd love a AvX storyline. Not like the actually event but something involving all those characters on the big screen would be really amazing.

Top Bottom