• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Blader

I would make the thread myself if we had anything really new there but it doesn't look like the article has all that much substance. There's no guarantee any of that will pan out. It would be flat out misleading to say that the Runaways is being developed, if you read the article it says almost the opposite.

I think Feige even outright said they decided not to do Runaways.

mjc

I'd have thought they'd save Iron Fist/Luke Cage for a TV show....but damn if I don't want an Iron Fist movie based around the Cities of Heaven tournament.

TDLink

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=79121

Ms Marvel, Blade, Iron Fist, Black Panther and The Runaways films currently under development by Marvel Studios.

None of this is new news. We have known about all of these scripts being in development over the last few years. The article even mentions as much in the actual paragraphs about each movie. It isn't an indication any of them will get made (other than Doctor Strange which at this point is essentially confirmed for Phase 3).

Dai101

Banned
http://www.herebegeeks.com/movies/p...s-role-in-captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

Robert Redford reveals a MAJOR SPOILER regarding his character in Captain America: The Winter Soldier:

“I like the idea of playing a villain… I did that just because it’s a different thing for me to do.”

I'm calling it: he's going to be
Red Skull.

HELL TO THE NO!!
The only Red Skull is and will always be Hugo Weaving

He can be Baron Zemo though

God dammit I want to highlight that. I didn't expect spoilers to start leaking already. I managed to avoid them for IM3 because I just wasn't that hyped for that movie to begin with, but they've done a good job keeping Thor locked down so far.

Tom_Cody

http://www.herebegeeks.com/movies/p...s-role-in-captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

Robert Redford reveals a MAJOR SPOILER regarding his character in Captain America: The Winter Soldier:

“I like the idea of playing a villain… I did that just because it’s a different thing for me to do.”

Red Skull.
Honestly, the first second his character was announced I assumed that his character would have a villainous turn. I just hope they get this out of the way early instead of building to an unsurprising 3rd act twist.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like GoTG is going to bomb hard and possibly start the crash of the super hero movies that have been going on for 10 years or so.

FlyFaster

I feel like GoTG is going to bomb hard and possibly start the crash of the super hero movies that have been going on for 10 years or so.

I kind of agree with you. Not bombing all of superhero movies but this one could.

I think part of the success of recent superhero movies has been the trend to try and bring them "down to earth" so to speak.

Look at Iron Man and Batman for example. 2 of the most popular superhero movies and they don't really have "powers" per say. Once you start getting too far into the supernatural, magical, ect I think you lose the mass appeal. Only comic/superhero fans are ok with things like that for the most part.

Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are just smart and rich humans. No powers. And their abilities are grounded. Even Iron Man is believable because culture at large believe in technology even if it's just fantasy. Using tech as a "power" is a free pass in a way that magic or supernatural origins isn't. It makes the characters more believable, and by extension makes buying into the fantasy easier.

I personally think this has a lot to do with the success of these movies.

Red Skull.

I feel like this makes a lot of sense and is a really easy way to recast Hugo Weaving.

Modern Red Skull can look the same and speak pretty different and it won't really make a difference. He will spend half the movie in disguise anyways so recasting Weaving makes even less sense.

I kind of agree with you. Not bombing all of superhero movies but this one could.

I think part of the success of recent superhero movies has been the trend to try and bring them "down to earth" so to speak.

Look at Iron Man and Batman for example. 2 of the most popular superhero movies and they don't really have "powers" per say. Once you start getting too far into the supernatural, magical, ect I think you lose the mass appeal. Only comic/superhero fans are ok with things like that for the most part.

Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are just smart and rich humans. No powers. And their abilities are grounded. Even Iron Man is believable because culture at large believe in technology even if it's just fantasy. Using tech as a "power" is a free pass in a way that magic or supernatural origins isn't. It makes the characters more believable, and by extension makes buying into the fantasy easier.

I personally think this has a lot to do with the success of these movies.
It's not magical, it's science fiction. It's straight up space opera. They're releasing a Star Trek movie next week you know. Also Iron Man 3 had lava people, the whole universe is nuts from top to bottom now.

ReiGun

GotG is entirely depending on the Marvel Studios marketing machine to make it a success...a machine that hasn't made a misstep yet. The movie will likely be fine. Audiences will probably love Rocket Raccoon.

And we seriously underestimate what mainstream audiences are able to get into. If the story is well written and the characters resonate, people will suspend their disbelief and let the movie take them on a ride.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think it is going to single handedly going to crash the comic based movie market, I just think it is going to be the start. It's going to bomb and people are going to realize the market has been so over saturated and I think it is going to make people stop caring. Star Trek and Star Wars can do the big space movies, because they are legacy properties. A movie with taking trees and racoons as space cops based on a comic that most people have never heard of is a big stretch. It's super hard for straight space sci-fi movies to have any traction, let alone one with such a wacky premise as GOTG.

I guess I'm just afraid in general for the super hero market. I've been thinking for at least 2-3 years that the bubble was about to pop. It's basically been going strong for 13 years, a quick count shows over 40 movies since 2000 from just DC and Marvel. About half of them were sequels/prequels/reboots. I can't believe it hasn't bottomed out yet and I'm fearful that Marvel is going to over reach with how many they want to put out in the next 2-3 years. And then adding DC no doubt trying to do the same thing, and with a greater likelyhood of fucking them up all Green Lantern, it just makes me nervous for the future of comic book movies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I don't think it is going to single handedly going to crash the comic based movie market, I just think it is going to be the start. It's going to bomb and people are going to realize the market has been so over saturated and I think it is going to make people stop caring. Star Trek and Star Wars can do the big space movies, because they are legacy properties. A movie with taking trees and racoons as space cops based on a comic that most people have never heard of is a big stretch. It's super hard for straight space sci-fi movies to have any traction, let alone one with such a wacky premise as GOTG.

You could have made the same argument for Thor. Why is Marvel branching off into fantasy when Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter already have that covered?

FlyFaster

ya but I think Green Lantern failed because GREEN LANTERN.

lol, outside of comics circles this guy is unknown. I would never have green lit this movie. He's a stupid character and they got a horrible actor to play him.

I'm pretty sure the Captain America 2 villain is going to be
Baron Zemo
because they've pretty much already indicated as much, IIRC.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see
Red Skull back from wherever he got teleported to
, but I don't think we're getting that (yet).

lol, outside of comics circles this guy is unknown. I would never have green lit this movie. He's a stupid character and they got a horrible actor to play him.

That didn't hurt Iron Man, Blade and a bunch of others doing well.

ReiGun

Okay seriously, this does not matter. I really don't know what Gaf insists on saying this every time we talk about superhero movies. You would think the success of Iron Man and Thor would have been enough to prove audiences don't give a shit how familiar they currently are with the character. At least, they don't care nearly as much about that as they do about watching a good movie.

And Green Lantern failed because it was a poorly made movie through and through. The character had nothing to do with it.

Blader

Even if GotG does bomb, it's not a big enough property that it failing would cause the whole genre to crash.

He was more well known than Iron Man & comic Thor before the movies.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Iron Man really wasn't as big in the mainstream at the time of release as you might think. Hell, Thor was an even bigger longshot.

ReiGun

I've noticed a trend of Iron Man's pre-Marvel Studios popularity being inflated more and more as we discuss these movies. Which is funny, since when I think back to 06-07 when it was announced Marvel was making movies based on whatever properties they still had, everyone who wasn't a Marvel comics fan laughed at the idea of a movie based on Iron Man or any of Marvel's other C-listers.

Of course, now that the movies have made Marvel enough money to purchase several small islands, Iron Man has now always been a beloved character with more than enough mainstream cache to warrant a movie. Funny how that works. :p

God, no. It may be petty but her face is so off-putting to me.

be844_getComingSoon_MV5BMTkzOTgxMTk5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU0NzUwNg@@._V1._SY317.jpg
936full-katee-sackhoff.jpg
Is she amazingly talented as an actress or something?

Gorillaz

I've noticed a trend of Iron Man's pre-Marvel Studios popularity being inflated more and more as we discuss these movies. Which is funny, since when I think back to 06-07 when it was announced Marvel was making movies based on whatever properties they still had, everyone who wasn't a Marvel comics fan laughed at the idea of a movie based on Iron Man or any of Marvel's other C-listers.

Of course, now that the movies have made Marvel enough money to purchase several small islands, Iron Man has now always been a beloved character with more than enough mainstream cache to warrant a movie. Funny how that works. :p

It's kind of funny tho. When I first saw that IM1 trailer I was like...

"well RDJ is in it...so thats cool but iron man....meh wait for dvd"

how much has changed in 5 years

Top Bottom