• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

TDLink

I don't think it is going to single handedly going to crash the comic based movie market, I just think it is going to be the start. It's going to bomb and people are going to realize the market has been so over saturated and I think it is going to make people stop caring. Star Trek and Star Wars can do the big space movies, because they are legacy properties. A movie with taking trees and racoons as space cops based on a comic that most people have never heard of is a big stretch. It's super hard for straight space sci-fi movies to have any traction, let alone one with such a wacky premise as GOTG.

I guess I'm just afraid in general for the super hero market. I've been thinking for at least 2-3 years that the bubble was about to pop. It's basically been going strong for 13 years, a quick count shows over 40 movies since 2000 from just DC and Marvel. About half of them were sequels/prequels/reboots. I can't believe it hasn't bottomed out yet and I'm fearful that Marvel is going to over reach with how many they want to put out in the next 2-3 years. And then adding DC no doubt trying to do the same thing, and with a greater likelyhood of fucking them up all Green Lantern, it just makes me nervous for the future of comic book movies.

You are so wrong.

First off GotG, while based off a comic book, is not a traditional "super hero movie". It's a big Space Opera. Star Trek is doing great, Star Wars has done great and will do so again no question. Now sure you could say that GotG doesn't have the brand recognition that those do. Consider though that once Star Trek was niche and people were essentially stigmatized for even liking it. Now with more recent films it has become completely accepted by the mainstream as something "cool".

GotG does not have a stigma like that to break out from, it can hit the ground running as something really popular with the mainstream and niche audience alike.

Green Lantern failed because GL as a series is also more of a space opera but they just set the film on Earth like your typical comic hero movie. GotG will not be doing that. Also, the GotG are an entire ensemble, rather than just one character. So even if one is miscast, or perhaps can't carry the entire film, it doesn't really matter because they have other characters to help them out with that.

Regarding talking trees/raccoons/dogs being ridiculous...I really don't see how that is any more ridiculous than more human-like (or humanoid) aliens in other big sci-fi franchises. Did people balk at Chewbacca? No, they didn't. Just because they are talking versions of real animals does not mean they are going to terrible characters (spoilers: they aren't).

Now, maybe GotG will bomb, who really knows. If they make it and market it right (which Marvel has proven they know how to do on both fronts with multiple movies now) I don't really see how that has any chance of even happening though. The movie is going to be a success.

In the remote case it did bomb all it would spell doom for is further entries in GotG and the Cosmic Marvel Universe. That would be an absolute shame considering how amazing and character rich the Cosmic side of their Universe is, but it would not kill the traditional superhero film as a genre at all since it is essentially completely different apart from being based on comic books from the same company.

God, no. It may be petty but her face is so off-putting to me.

That is petty. Also, really?

Well... maybe in Riddick. I could see your point.

sackhoff11120102127.jpeg

She looks like she may shatter me in two.

Is she amazingly talented as an actress or something?

I've always thought she was a pretty damn good actress. I found her quite pretty in Battlestar Galactica. Also, badass.

Alright, alternative suggestions for Ms Marvel?

Oh! Got it.

Yvonne Strahovski for Ms Marvel

Strahovski's a damn fine actor. Gorgeous and can pull off being badass fairly effortlessly. Plus, she's already popular with sci-fi fans I think.

exYle

That is petty. Also, really?

Well... maybe in Riddick. I could see your point.

She looks like she may shatter me in two.

I've always thought she was a pretty damn good actress. I found her quite pretty in Battlestar Galactica. Also, badass.

Alright, alternative suggestions for Ms Marvel?

Oh! Got it.

Strahovski's a damn fine actor. Gorgeous and can pull off being badass fairly effortlessly. Plus, she's already popular with sci-fi fans I think.

Mmmmm... yes please

anaron

While yes, Ms.Marvel's strength is superhuman and not related to her own physique, it'd be refreshing to have a superheroine with one that is convincingly strength based and shared by with an insanely talented actress.

aka, Katee Sackhoff

NopXraM.jpg

lIQ4CiO.gif

While yes, Ms.Marvel's strength is superhuman and not related to her own physique, it'd be refreshing to have a superheroine with one that is convincingly strength based and shared by with an insanely talented actress.

aka, Katee Sackoff

NopXraM.jpg

I think either Yvonne or Katee getting the role would be okay with me. Both are awesome

If we can't get Jensen Ackles as Hawkguy, he should play Scott Lang in Ant-Man. If they are going with him being a burglar who steals Pym's retro shit. If they aren't doing that and Pym is in modern day, I'm unsure who should play him.

movies-marvel-phase-two-preview-stills-1.jpg

supernatural_s8_e1_jex3sad.jpg

Supernatural-Season-8-Episode-18-Freaks-and-Geeks-06.jpg

tumblr_llts4teNQR1qbdfj5.gif

Great actor, plus he has a wicked sense of humor and great range. He can bring the tears and the funny and the badass. I think he'd work fantastically with Wright.

Only thing I want from Ant-Man in regards to the bigger MCU is a memorable Wasp and a set up for Ultron. Couldn't give a damn about the actual Ant-Man.

Also Nova on GotG would be great, but I heavily doubt they'll use him.

TDLink

Olyphant as Nova would be so goddamn amazing.

I agree.

Only thing I want from Ant-Man in regards to the bigger MCU is a memorable Wasp and a set up for Ultron. Couldn't give a damn about the actual Ant-Man.

Also Nova on GotG would be great, but I heavily doubt they'll use him.

I don't doubt that the Nova Corps will be in GotG. Unsure if Richard Rider will show up...but I am pretty sure they will put him in the MCU sooner than later if GotG is a success (which it probably will be).

Khezu

Green Lantern failed because it was hideous looking, the CG was terrible, and the movies color palette was just down right ugly. Everything about that movie was visually unappealing.

Green Lantern failed because it was hideous looking, the CG was terrible, and the movies color palette was just down right ugly. Everything about that movie was visually unappealing.

A shame. They had great actors.

Just a terrible script and awful direction.

Mark Strong for Hank Pym.

Or Ewan MacGregor for Hank Pym.

Wonder if they'd use this Ultron cat as an Avengers villain or as one specifically for Ant-Man.

You know who should play the Wasp?

Susan Sarandon.

BOOM.

Ideally, starting off as an AI Pym designed for security in an Ant-Man movie before he went rogue and becomes a villain in an Avengers movie.

Maybe just for Ant-Man before he goes gets adamantium all up this bitch.

Ideally, starting off as an AI Pym designed for security in an Ant-Man movie before he went rogue and becomes a villain in an Avengers movie.

Well, it would be cool if they dealt with Thanos in Avengers 2 and the stinger is Pym creating the AI. But I dunno, it feels like Thanos will be something that stretches beyond A2. Not sure why. It seems like the Marvel universe is opening up cosmically. Isn't Ultron something that would regress that a bit?

Definitely sounds like an interesting villain though.

I wish Ant-Man was part of Phase 2 so that we could get Ultron for Avengers 2, with Thanos still lurking in the background.

Leading up to an epic finale in Avengers 3 with Thanos. Let's face it, where do you go after you use Thanos, especially if the Infinity Gauntlet is involved?

Maybe just for Ant-Man before he goes gets adamantium all up this bitch.
Pym works at Stark tower. After all, it is candy land. He builds a robot, using JARVIS as the basis for the AI. It goes rogue, chaos ensues.

I do have a serious geek hardon for Ultron in a movie. I need it.

If we can't get Jensen Ackles as Hawkguy, he should play Scott Lang in Ant-Man. If they are going with him being a burglar who steals Pym's retro shit. If they aren't doing that and Pym is in modern day, I'm unsure who should play him.

Great actor, plus he has a wicked sense of humor and great range. He can bring the tears and the funny and the badass. I think he'd work fantastically with Wright.

I'd love to see him as a superhero. Any superhero really. Scott Lang would be a pretty good choice.

I wish Ant-Man was part of Phase 2 so that we could get Ultron for Avengers 2, with Thanos still lurking in the background.

Leading up to an epic finale in Avengers 3 with Thanos. Let's face it, where do you go after you use Thanos, especially if the Infinity Gauntlet is involved?

Yeah, I think the question of scale is what's problematic here. Either they blow their load with Thanos in Avengers 2, or they have to use some other (presumably cosmic) villain in Avengers 2 while saving Thanos for A3. Ultron seems like a step down from Thanos in that regard. It leaves that character to be dealt with in a future Ant-Man film as a primary villain or it means that A3's scope feels smaller than A2's or the wait for Ultron just becomes super long (A4?).

Well, it would be cool if they dealt with Thanos in Avengers 2 and the stinger is Pym creating the AI. But I dunno, it feels like Thanos will be something that stretches beyond A2. Not sure why. It seems like the Marvel universe is opening up cosmically. Isn't Ultron something that would regress that a bit?

Definitely sounds like an interesting villain though.

Problem with using Thanos is that there's nowhere to go but down afterwards. He's the biggest bad of them all.

Ideally, Ultron could be used in Avengers 2, as he's a good midway point between Loki+Chitauri and Thanos.

Pym works at Stark tower. After all, it is candy land. He builds a robot, using JARVIS as the basis for the AI. It goes rogue, chaos ensues.

Depends on what they do with Ant-Man, really.

Are they still gonna have Pym set up in the 60s? Ultron could appear in an Avengers 2 movie, then, with the Avengers talking to him regarding what the hell to do. It'd give Ant-Man some publicity.

If Pym is a modern character, then it seems like there's no choice but to make Ultron a post-Thanos villain. And I mean, sooner or later we're gonna need to have one, Ultron is probably the best choice. And giving the character some proper build up could really pay off. Show Ultron as a good AI in Ant-Man, have Ant-Man+Wasp thwart his first attack, and then in an Avengers movie it turns out he now has an Adamantium body, he controls JARVIS and just about every important defense network in the world, and he's fucking shit up.

I think the Avengers EMH show really did him justice.

nomis

If we can't get Jensen Ackles as Hawkguy, he should play Scott Lang in Ant-Man.

supernatural_s8_e1_jex3sad.jpg

Great actor, plus he has a wicked sense of humor and great range. He can bring the tears and the funny and the badass.

Yeah man, WE GET IT. Tim Olyphant would totally kick ass as Space Raylan AKA Nova. And if Ackles started "saving people, hunting things" with a bow and quiver in Avengers 2, the wide audience would just think that Rat Face Renner magically got cooler and better looking. Now put away your man-crush boner like everyone else.

because my soul will be crushed when none of what you suggest ends up happening

Yeah, I think the question of scale is what's problematic here. Either they blow their load with Thanos in Avengers 2, or they have to use some other (presumably cosmic) villain in Avengers 2 while saving Thanos for A3. Ultron seems like a step down from Thanos in that regard. It leaves that character to be dealt with in a future Ant-Man film as a primary villain or it means that A3's scope feels smaller than A2's or the wait for Ultron just becomes super long (A4?).
Avengers need to take on Ultron at some point. Then you use Ultron In a GotG film in an adaptation of Annihilation: Conquest.

Maybe Ultron and the Masters of Evil would make for a good movie. Not as cosmic in scale, but still could be a potentially huge threat.

Problem with using Thanos is that there's nowhere to go but down afterwards. He's the biggest bad of them all.

Ideally, Ultron could be used in Avengers 2, as he's a good midway point between Loki+Chitauri and Thanos.

Depends on what they do with Ant-Man, really.

Are they still gonna have Pym set up in the 60s? Ultron could appear in an Avengers 2 movie, then, with the Avengers talking to him regarding what the hell to do. It'd give Ant-Man some publicity.

If Pym is a modern character, then it seems like there's no choice but to make Ultron a post-Thanos villain. And I mean, sooner or later we're gonna need to have one, Ultron is probably the best choice.

I'd favor that option the best. Set up Phase 3 and Ant-Man (Hank Pym and Scott Lang), save Thanos for A3 (as the universe continues to venture into the cosmic), and still have a wicked villain to utilize (cause as awesome as Loki is, he's still kind of incompetent when you think about it).

Maybe Ultron and the Masters of Evil would make for a good movie. Not as cosmic in scale, but still could be a potentially huge threat.
Ultron would not stoop so low as to work with the Masters of Evil. Those fleshy beings are beneath him.

But I do want the Masters of Evil in a movie.

I think Ultron would kinda make for a boring villain for an Avengers movie.
Ultron Unlimited says otherwise. So does Annihilation: Conquest.

If Pym is a modern character, then it seems like there's no choice but to make Ultron a post-Thanos villain. And I mean, sooner or later we're gonna need to have one, Ultron is probably the best choice. And giving the character some proper build up could really pay off. Show Ultron as a good AI in Ant-Man, have Ant-Man+Wasp thwart his first attack, and then in an Avengers movie it turns out he now has an Adamantium body, he controls JARVIS and just about every important defense network in the world, and he's fucking shit up.

You edited this after I posted, but I like this idea as well.

Yeah man, WE GET IT. Tim Olyphant would totally kick ass as Space Raylan AKA Nova. And if Ackles started "saving people, hunting things" with a bow and quiver in Avengers 2, the wide audience would just think that Rat Face Renner magically got cooler and better looking. Now put away your man-crush boner like everyone else.

because my soul will be crushed when none of what you suggest ends up happening

QCPN0.gif

Edit:

I like this that someone cobbled up. I've always liked MacGregor.

TDLink

I actually agree with this. Using JARVIS as the MCU's Ultron basis would be perfect and a great way to get the mainstream invested since they have been familiar with him since the original Iron Man/the conception of the MCU. Paul Bettany could definitely pull it off too. I would like to see it happen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh! Got it.

Dear god this would be great casting.

And dear god is she beautiful or what. Damn.

J10

Banned
Never seen Strahovski act in anything, but I do vaguely recognize her likeness from Mass Effect. She's got the look at least.

Anth0ny

I don't think GOTG will bomb if they market it right, but I can't see it doing extremely well.

Hoping I'm wrong and the fact that it's a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is enough to get people watching.

Top Bottom