• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Damn Jarvis as Ultron would really work. Pym builds the body and comes to Stark for the AI and fucks it up somehow.

Would suck to lose Jarvis but that would be a really emotional twist that I don't think a lot of non-comic readers would see coming.

We won't be losing Jarvis. We'll just be making him more...perfect.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I really doubt the studios care that an actor was in a DC movie. Especially when they aren't playing that character anymore. Again as an example, I'll point to Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern was before that and still actively trying to play Deadpool.

It's different when you are considering that Deadpool and Reynolds is dealing with Fox, who doesn't care much about their universe up until Marvel showed everyone how world-building is truly done.

Marvel did take The Human Torch and make him Captain America. I don't see Evans ever representing Torch again now that Cap is now on his business card.

Once again, it's a grey area that we have yet to see explored since DC hasn't gone too far with their universe, thus taking away potential actors from Marvel casting.

If Marvel won't cast actors (not confirmed) who have been used in recent DC movies then the following actors I like wouldn't be available:

Green Lantern: Mark Strong, Geoffrey Rush (dammit, forgot about this), Tim Robbins
Superman Returns: Kevin Spacey
Batman series: Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Ken Watanabe, Tom Wilkinson, Aaron Eckhart, Eric Roberts, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, and Anne Hathaway.

It's different when you are considering that Deadpool and Reynolds is dealing with Fox, who doesn't care much about their universe up until Marvel showed everyone how world-building is truly done.

Marvel did take The Human Torch and make him Captain America. I don't see Evans ever representing Torch again now that Cap is now on his business card.

Once again, it's a grey area that we have yet to see explored since DC hasn't gone too far with their universe, thus taking away potential actors from Marvel casting.

If Marvel won't cast actors (not confirmed) who have been used in recent DC movies then the following actors I like wouldn't be available:

Green Lantern: Mark Strong, Geoffrey Rush (dammit, forgot about this), Tim Robbins
Superman Returns: Kevin Spacey
Batman series: Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Ken Watanabe, Tom Wilkinson, Aaron Eckhart, Eric Roberts, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, and Anne Hathaway.

Wasn't JGL rumored for Star Lord a while back?

Caspel

Wasn't JGL rumored for Star Lord a while back?

We all know how that turned out.

Chris-Pratt.jpg

Reiko

Banned
This appeared in my Facebook news feed... WTF...

UPDATE: Scarlett Johansson May NOT Return

Hey, I know a lot of you guys are disappointed that Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth may not return to reprise their roles as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Thor, respectively, in The Avengers 2. We hate to kick you when you're down, but reports are coming in that Scarlett Johansson may not return as Black Widow in The Avengers 2. She told her castmates that she's “not going to cut her quote” for the sequel. It is also being said that Chris Evans is asking for a pay raise, but there's no reports saying that's he's not going to return as Captain America.

Both Chris's (Hemsworth and Evans) were both payed $200K for their role in 'The Avengers' and only received $500K for returning for a sequel for 'Thor' and 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and will only earn $500K more if their movies hit the $500M mark. One rep still can't believe Marvel is only paying them that much saying "Are they out of their minds?" and calling it "the weirdest experience". The topic was brought up that Chris Hemsworth earned $5M alone for starring in 'Snow White and the Huntsman', to which Marvel replied, "”I don’t know why you’re complaining when Marvel only has hit movies.” To which the rep responded, “He’s happier working at a place like Universal.”

So, what do you make out of all this drama? Are you siding with Marvel, who are threatening to re-cast certain roles if they don't cooperate with the payment? Or are you siding with the actors, who are asking for the money they deserve. Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

Source: Deadline.com (via WorstPreviews)
-------

I think it's horseshit.

This is her in Captain America 2.

scarlett-johannson-blwquvd.jpg

anaron

She's the only fucking female and Whedon did an amazing job in rescuing the character from how shitty she was in Iron Man 2. Losing her now would be so idiotic on Marvel's part.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Hey, I know a lot of you guys are disappointed that Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth may not return to reprise their roles as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Thor, respectively, in The Avengers 2. We hate to kick you when you're down, but reports are coming in that Scarlett Johansson may not return as Black Widow in The Avengers 2. She told her castmates that she's “not going to cut her quote” for the sequel. It is also being said that Chris Evans is asking for a pay raise, but there's no reports saying that's he's not going to return as Captain America.

Both Chris's (Hemsworth and Evans) were both payed $200K for their role in 'The Avengers' and only received $500K for returning for a sequel for 'Thor' and 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and will only earn $500K more if their movies hit the $500M mark. One rep still can't believe Marvel is only paying them that much saying "Are they out of their minds?" and calling it "the weirdest experience". The topic was brought up that Chris Hemsworth earned $5M alone for starring in 'Snow White and the Huntsman', to which Marvel replied, "”I don’t know why you’re complaining when Marvel only has hit movies.” To which the rep responded, “He’s happier working at a place like Universal.”

So, what do you make out of all this drama? Are you siding with Marvel, who are threatening to re-cast certain roles if they don't cooperate with the payment? Or are you siding with the actors, who are asking for the money they deserve. Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

-------

I think it's horseshit.

This has been discussed in depth in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554930&highlight=marvel+cinematic+universe

-------

I think it's horseshit.

Ack, please don't mess this up Marvel. I know this is going to happen eventually, but it's just too soon.

EDIT: While it could be false, the article is talking about Avengers 2, not Cap 2

FlyFaster

What the fuck Marvel. How are you paying yours stars so little. Jesus christ.

Ya, I don't get it.

I mean come on! I think actors are generally overpaid but the stars of the show are getting 200k? That's pretty weak.

I really hope Marvel doesn't fuck this up. Avengers 2 with an entirely new cast would be almost the lamest thing I can think of.

edit:

Comparison pic.

3scarjos![/QUOTE]

thanks for the pic man. saved.

Caspel

If they signed the contract for less money and all of sudden want more, then they should hire a better agent. I don't feel bad for an actor that signs a multi-picture contract and then halfway through wants more money.

Pay:
RDJ
Hemsworth
Evans
Ruffalo

The Marvel universe is large, so Black Widow is not needed. They can give more screen time to Maria Hill.

Plus, these cutie is debuting in Winter Soldier:

So Marvel doesn't need ScarJo or Black Widow. She's not selling tickets for Avengers 2. Plus, Marvel is potentially going down the route of Ms. Marvel, Wasp, Gamora, and Scarlet Witch; all of these roles will most definitely command screen time. Perhaps one day Tigra, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Elektra, Firestar, or Valkyrie will get their time in the sun, too.

There's also the chance that Mockingbird (if the TV pilot gets picked up by ABC Family) makes an appearance in the movies.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They did a huge gambit by picking sort of B or C-list actors and it paid off extremely well. The thing is, you can't really do this type of thing when your movie makes billions. Great way to kill all the enormous momentum they've had. Wonder what Whedon's cut was. If those were the actors' paychecks I dread to think what the rest of the crew got.

Dai101

Banned
I'd like to believe that all this salary disputes are just a ploy to keep the hype running, there's no bad publicity after all

J10

Banned
They did a huge gambit by picking sort of B or C-list actors and it paid off extremely well. The thing is, you can't really do this type of thing when your movie makes billions. Great way to kill all the enormous momentum they've had. Wonder what Whedon's cut was. If those were the actors' paychecks I dread to think what the rest of the crew got.

He will have been paid a hundred million after the next few years. That includes directing, writing, producing and consulting duties.

inky

Whedon's cut is apparently 100 million for the whole time he'll be there, so 3 movies and a lot of production work for the universe itself.

Edit: damn you J10 and your edits!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Comparison pic.

scarlett-johansson-60iwuk5.jpg
They really are just trying to make her hair look as horrible as possible, aren't they? Jesus Christ.

I expected her to demand more money after I heard she was making $40k a week on Broadway. That never happens. I want her agent.

I think (based on nothing but my own opinion/speculation) that everyone will return for Avengers 2 but that some recasting might happen during Phase 3.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to believe that all this salary disputes are just a ploy to keep the hype running, there's no bad publicity after all

Hugely doubt it, Disney does not like that type of publicity. No bad publicity thing is also a bit of a myth. If you're an unestablished entity and people suddenly start talking about the crappy thing you're doing: great, you're getting your name out there. When you're one of the world's biggest companies, and they're talking shit about you, entirely different story as it hurts a very measured established brand image.

Caspel

Sure they can -- Thor and Capt America weren't guaranteed hits. Ant-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy are the next on the docket that are questionable. Why overpay for actors when not many actors are guaranteed to bring in viewers?

The biggest shame for Hollywood in general is underpaying the visual effects crews.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sure they can -- Thor and Capt America weren't guaranteed hits. Ant-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy are the next on the docket that are questionable. Why overpay for actors when not many actors are guaranteed to bring in viewers?

The biggest shame for Hollywood in general is underpaying the visual effects crews.

That's my reasoning though, it worked before because as you say Thor and Cap were wildcards. Avengers 2 however IS a surefire hit, and other than that I think if the actors get shortshafted the VFX dudes must have it really bad. Although I was wrong on the Whedon assumption.

JdFoX187

Banned

-------

I think it's horseshit.

The story is just speculation based off the original Deadline article, which does not even mention any of the actors refusing to come back. It's a bunch of horseshit, as you say.

Top Bottom