• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Yeah. We need to see more people unable to lift it first. That will really sell it to the audience when cap does lift it.

And what better moment to lift it than to kick Thanos's ass from here to over there.

Whenever they do it, and if Whedon stays on board it WILL happen, it will be a HUGE audience moment.

I could see Avengers 2 borrowing the Fear Itself plot point where the good guys got to use weapons from Odin's armory. Tony Stark with the Cosmic Cube implanted in his chest? Yes plz.

Thor buster armor

V6zZg.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
They'll want to release movies between Avengers 2 and Avengers 3. If Thanos is the villain in Avengers 2, he's going down. That's why I think they should save him for last.

They most definitely won't use Avengers to set up GotG, or any other movie for that matter. Avengers is the movie they use other movies to set up.

If Disney is smart, they'll shoot Avengers 2 & 3 similarly like they did with Pirates 2 & 3. But then again, it would break up their marketing plan of having films build up to an Avengers flick.

I do think it would be great to shoot 2 & 3 back-to-back and introduce new Avengers ala the Fellowship of the Ring type of way and then have them splinter off until the end of Avengers 3 where the teams unite for the big battle. This scenario only works out if they have 2 bridge into 3.

Hulk/Iron Man/Wasp
Captain America/Thor/Hawkeye
Widow/Ant-Man/Black Panther or Doctor Strange or Vision

It's a dream scenario -- shooting back-to-back -- and the new Avengers that are added can be swapped out with your favorite Avengers.

KevinCow

Banned
Could Dr. Strange work in the movie-verse? Thor worked because they established that Asgardians were aliens, not gods, and their "magic" was actually extremely advanced science.

Dr. Strange's magic doesn't seem as flexible. It seems pretty straight-up magic.

Could Dr. Strange work in the movie-verse? Thor worked because they established that Asgardians were aliens, not gods, and their "magic" was actually extremely advanced science.

Dr. Strange's magic doesn't seem as flexible. It seems pretty straight-up magic.
It could be retconned (or rather just reimagined) as him being able to tap into cosmic energy from alternate dimensions/worlds.
And he has an encyclopedic knowledge of ancient powerful civilizations (like the asgardians and frost giants).

I feel Marvel will definitely be making a GotG movie based on recent comments, but I don't think it has any chance of coming out 2 years from now. GotG is Avengers-level in scope. It's too tough to bring together in such a short period of time. Maybe they won't have as much setup but I can't imagine having none. Even if they only use A2 to set up Thanos that is at least something. Maybe they can have the Avengers lose to Thanos and thus introduce the GotG as a more powerful force that has a chance at stopping him...this would effectively carry the Avengers audience over to GotG. I could definitely see GotG as a "Big" film between A2 and A3. 2013 is locked down, we know it is just Thor and IM. I definitely think 2014 will be Cap, Ant-Man, and something else. The only question is what that third 2014 film is. I think Doctor Strange has the best shot honestly unless they fast track another Hulk film due to his recent Avengers praise.
I imagine guardians will mainly be thanos movie and show how dangerous he is, at theend some survivor from guardians go to earth and warn avengers. It will lead directly to avengers 2

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wanna see Iron Man in IM3 and Avengers 2 go HAM on specialized suits. Give me all of that sweet, sexy, CG goodness. Stealth suit, Hulkbuster, gimme it all. Give Hulkbuster a brief cameo if you must. Would be a great nod.

Dead

well not really...yet
IM3 needs a new UBER special suit.

The barely different incremental upgrades that amount to nothing more than adding a bit more silver is getting a bit tiring.

TDLink

Ah, damn. It's hard to keep track of them all. Anyway, they're not going to end the Avengers with the Avengers fucking losing, are you insane? :lol They aren't going to want to know "Man, what does Thanos do know?", they're going to go "Man that film was poop" and never see a Marvel film ever again. Spoiler warning, because here's how Avengers 2 ends: the Avengers fucking kick Thanos's teeth in.

As others mentioned, you obviously haven't seen The Empire Strikes back. Using a second film in a trilogy (or second act of a 3 act story) as the heroes' low point is not unheard of and is actually typically effective in storytelling. People expect the Avengers to win every time because they are the good guys. By defying expectation, even once, you completely throw the formula off balance and get people even further invested in how the matter will be resolved. Besides, Thanos -is- the most powerful enemy they could throw at them (basically, anyways) it would only make sense for him to actually be victorious the first time around...especially since Thanos has "won" multiple times int he comics as well. If anything it would be keeping in character and it will only make when they -do- defeat him more satisfying. I can honestly see Thanos being the "main" badguy in the MCU from here on out...that includes in A2, GotG, and A3.

Anyway, your second point is null by way of Cap 2 having basically nothing attached to it at the moment either, beyond a bunch of potential directors, the screenwriters and Chris. Likewise, Doctor Strange has nothing for it either. Beyond Thor 2, all projects are pretty much up in the air- Cap 2 could go in like a million different directions. They haven't even said if Sam Jackson is back, or Renner or Johansson or Smulders. At least Thor 2 has a confirmed list of returning duders. Things don't say secret- except when things are too early for anything to leak, just like Cap, just like Doc Strange (they hired writers in 2010- not a peep since), just like Ant-Man and just like Guardians.

My point isn't null. You are right that no director has been confirmed for Cap 2 yet but there -is- a script and some actors -are- signed on already. Plus there is a solid release date already locked in for it. Cap 2's cast list has not been fully announced yet but that is because casting isn't complete. Thor 2 is the exact same way at the moment. Ant-Man also has a script and director attached but nothing further. Last we heard Doctor Strange has a rough script. GotG, as far as we know, has no script, no director, no actors, and no release date. It is a completely different matter than Cap 2, Doc Strange, or Ant-Man.

I imagine guardians will mainly be thanos movie and show how dangerous he is, at theend some survivor from guardians go to earth and warn avengers. It will lead directly to avengers 2

It depends largely on what GotG is. If it is an adaptation of Annihilation or Annihilation Conquest then that won't happen (in fact he is only in one of those...and the actual Guardians are in the other....but I can see them branding both as "GotG" for a trilogy of -that- franchise, then using Thanos Imperative as the last film). If however GotG is a new story simply utilizing the characters (which I am also all for) then anything can happen. I do highly doubt though that GotG will be used to set up Avengers. Maybe the other way around or just completely disconnected other than possibly Thanos being in both. Either way though the GotG are supposed to be more powerful than the Avengers collectively so it doesn't really make much sense to have them being the ones losing to Thanos first. I could see a situation where both lose and then have to come together or something but it would be redundant probably to have Thanos win both times. Anyways, this is all just speculation at this point.

The bottom line is Thanos makes a great antagonist for the MCU as a whole and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in both GotG and Avengers, possibly with completely different stories. I still don't expect GotG to happen any time before A2 is out though.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Outside of Thanos (and potentially Ultron, if he somehow doesn't fit into the Ant-Man storyarc), what are the top 3 villains that are most wanted for Avengers follow-ups, should Thanos be a one-and-done baddie.

Mine would be:
1. Skrulls & Kree
2. Masters of Evil
3. Kang the Conqueror

I would love to see Sentry converted to a villain with his Void personality.

That's apparently what the original script for this one was, before Joss came in and completely rewrote it.

Yeah, that was also implied by this early quote from Jeremy Renner on Hawkeye:
Renner said Hawkeye is not insecure about his humanity. "Quite the opposite, he's the only one who can really take down the Hulk with his [tranquilizer-tipped] arrows. He knows his limitations. But when it comes down to it, there has to be a sense of confidence in any superhero."

Though as we know, this never actually happened in the movie.

As far as I know Marvel has movie rights to all of their properties with the exception of:

• The Fantastic Four and most of their villains, with the exception of the Skrulls
  • Daredevil, Elektra, and most of their villains
  • Spider-man and his related characters
  • The X-Men and their related characters, with the exceptions of Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch
  • Ghost Rider and his villains

So this is confirmed then? I keep seeing people mention this, but don't know if there's a legitimate source behind it or was just speculation. Pretty awesome if true. I remember reading an issue of Wizard. I always got a giggle from their fantasy movie casts and really liked the idea of Melina Kanakaredes as Wanda (it was the one that stuck out the most to me). Of course there's no way she'd play her now.

Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy and why would they make a movie about them?

I know who Adam Warlock is from the Infinity Guantlet but you mean to tell me there is a Raccoon too?

The latest episode of the Avengers cartoon had them. You should look it up.

They'll want to release movies between Avengers 2 and Avengers 3. If Thanos is the villain in Avengers 2, he's going down. That's why I think they should save him for last.

This is what I was thinking, if he is the villain of A2 and they do take him down...who will be the big bad in A3?

Ultron will seem like a big step down in comparison to Thanos, maybe the MoE?

Apart from Galactus, which other villains rival Thanos in the power/intelligence, etc stakes?

What are the chances of ever seeing Apocalypse in a Marvel movie?

I want to see him bust some dudes up and cause chaos
He's part of the X-men so... He'd be in an X-men movie not a Marvel Studios one.
It'd be great if he showed up in an X-men movie, but the X-men movies are so scattered in terms of consistency (in terms of quality/story/over-arching plots) that I dunno if they could pull it off.

Seeing Magneto fight alongside the X-men against apoc would amazing though.

noah111

Still Alive
Just how tied in to Guardians of the Galaxy is Thanos? Since it seems like the whole Thanos thing was an more of an idea than anything concrete in terms of future iterations/planning, i'm not sure how much it matters..

Runaways would arguably the best for the big screen, but that leaves no space epics.. really wonder what that 2014 slot is going to be.

Just how tied in to Guardians of the Galaxy is Thanos? Since it seems like the whole Thanos thing was an more of an idea than anything concrete in terms of future iterations/planning, i'm not sure how much it matters..

Runaways would arguably the best for the big screen, but that leaves no space epics.. really wonder what that 2014 slot is going to be.

Silver Surfer. (or do they not own the rights to that either?)

As bad as the last FF movie was, it did a good job of SS and showing he has potential for his own movie.

Silver Surfer. (or do they not own the rights to that either?)

As bad as the last FF movie was, it did a good job of SS and showing he has potential for his own movie.

Uhm, if it was in FF it's probably in Fox' hands.

But don't worry, Marvel will get FF back and make a Doom origin story, mark my words.

it will never happen ;_;

What does Marvel not have the rights to other than Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four? And how do they get any of those back? Someone explained it to me vaguely a few years back, so I don't really remember.

Well rumor has it the Extremis is coming in IM3. So get prepared, ready for one of the most badass suits ever.
I just read it and his suit looked the same or extremely close didn't it? Also am I reading that right and Ironman
can move at hundreds of miles per hour, regenerate, and basically have super human strength even without the suit?

I just read it and his suit looked the same or extremely close didn't it? Also am I reading that right and Ironman
can move at hundreds of miles per hour, regenerate, and basically have super human strength even without the suit?

he isn't really without the suit when the suit is basically in his body :)

But I doubt that they'll
turn Stark into a cyborg with "NANOTECHNOLOGY"
it would be just too hard and fucked up to show in a live action movie.

vferrel said:
What does Marvel not have the rights to other than Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four? And how do they get any of those back? Someone explained it to me vaguely a few years back, so I don't really remember.

They sold the licenses to Fox (X-Men & F4) and Sony (Spider-Man) who retain the rights as long as they can prove that a movie is in production. They can either buy the rights back, which won't happen because they're cash cows to Fox and Sony (except for F4 maybe), or they can wait until Fox or Sony magically forget for 5 years (I think) that they own these franchises, which won't happen either. It's a lost cause.

noah111

Still Alive
So what's the possibility that when Feige said two out of those four (Ant-Man, Runaways, Inhumans or Guardians) will be coming pre-A2, that Ant-Man isn't one of them? Is that even possible? I'm just worried that it is, and we'll get Runaways+GotG instead... I don't know, really hope Ant-Man makes it in time for the sequel but i'm becoming doubtful myself.. Also, wasn't a Runaways movie for 2012 cancelled before?

Wright is afaik working on the last part of his trilogy with Pegg and Frost which releases early next year so that leaves him enough time to do Ant-Man. I dunno, him teasing it on twitter makes it almost a lock for 2014 I think.

noah111

Still Alive
You're probably right, two 'team' films leading up to the third (avengers) would seem excessive.

But if there's 3 movies in 2014, and one of them are CA2, one of them Ant-Man, and one of them a team and/or cosmic movie, i'm sure they won't be putting the team movie right before A2. That wouldn't make much sense.

Probably CA2, GotG or Runaways, Ant-Man, then Avengers 2.

Solo

IM3 is supposed to have a shitload of armors in it, going up to
Mk. 20something

I was mulling this through my head yesterday............have we seen all the suits? Mk. VII was used in the Avengers, so this is just my guess:

Mk. I - Iron Man 1, cave suit
Mk. II - Iron Man 1, unpainted protoype
Mk. III - Iron Man 1, finished suit /w circular chestpiece
Mk. IV - Iron Man 2, finished suit /w triangular chestpiece
Mk. V - Iron Man 2, briefcase suit
Mk. VI - The Avengers, finished suit /w circular chestpiece
Mk. VII - The Avengers, deployment-in-air suit

Correct?

I was mulling this through my head yesterday............have we seen all the suits? Mk. VII was used in the Avengers, so this is just my guess:

Mk. I - Iron Man 1, cave suit
Mk. II - Iron Man 1, unpainted protoype
Mk. III - Iron Man 1, finished suit /w circular chestpiece
Mk. IV - Iron Man 2, finished suit /w triangular chestpiece
Mk. V - Iron Man 2, briefcase suit
Mk. VI - The Avengers, finished suit /w circular chestpiece
Mk. VII - The Avengers, deployment-in-air suit

Correct?

Mk. IV looks virtually identical to Mk. III (circular chestpiece), and it's the one he's wearing at the beginning of Iron Man 2.

Mk. VI is the one with the triangular chestpiece in both Iron Man 2 and Avengers.

The only new one is Mk. VII, which is the one with circular chestpiece, is the one deployed in air.

All others are correct.

Top Bottom