• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
That's my reasoning though, it worked before because as you say Thor and Cap were wildcards. Avengers 2 however IS a surefire hit, and other than that I think if the actors get shortshafted the VFX dudes must have it really bad. Although I was wrong on the Whedon assumption.

Should their contracts should be up (RDJ's is) then Marvel should do their best to get the leading actors to return. ScarJo and Renner are expendable. But if the actors signed a contract, then they should honor it and find better agents if they want more money the next time around. ScarJo will have been in Iron Man 2, Avengers, and Capt America 2. If that's all she manages to get in, then that is fine by me so I can see more Marvel heroes making their debuts.

It's different when you are considering that Deadpool and Reynolds is dealing with Fox, who doesn't care much about their universe up until Marvel showed everyone how world-building is truly done.

Marvel did take The Human Torch and make him Captain America. I don't see Evans ever representing Torch again now that Cap is now on his business card.

Once again, it's a grey area that we have yet to see explored since DC hasn't gone too far with their universe, thus taking away potential actors from Marvel casting.

If Marvel won't cast actors (not confirmed) who have been used in recent DC movies then the following actors I like wouldn't be available:

Green Lantern: Mark Strong, Geoffrey Rush (dammit, forgot about this), Tim Robbins
Superman Returns: Kevin Spacey
Batman series: Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Ken Watanabe, Tom Wilkinson, Aaron Eckhart, Eric Roberts, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, and Anne Hathaway.
I really, really doubt they care unless they are still actively playing a high profile superhero role. Seriously.

FlyFaster

As much as I like ScarJo, if push came to shove they could get someone else for her role. The film wouldn't lose a lot. (I still think she deserves more then 200k tho)

So, I got to thinking... she's a spy right? Well, a lot of people (read:badguys) have seen her face now because she was so visibly active since Iron Man 2 and Avengers within the MCU. What if they keep Black Widow in and just get a new person to play her and say that she changed her look, plastic surgery, so she could keep spying and not lose the edge of surprise.

Then it could turn into a running feature of sorts in the MCU, who will play Black Widow next? What will black widow look like in the next film?

I think it'd be pretty cool and we get a nice rotation of girls to play the part with each movie ;)

inky

That's my reasoning though, it worked before because as you say Thor and Cap were wildcards. Avengers 2 however IS a surefire hit, and other than that I think if the actors get shortshafted the VFX dudes must have it really bad. Although I was wrong on the Whedon assumption.

Yea, it's really sad to see walls filled with the names of the VFX studio's artists during the credits, who are probably getting paid pennies when their work is so prominent in these big blockbusters. Makes it really hard to care that much for what main actors are getting, although the discrepancy between what RDJ gets and them seems abysmal for how much money these movies make. If anything, take care of your stars at least.

As much as I like ScarJo, if push came to shove they could get someone else for her role. The film wouldn't lose a lot. (I still think she deserves more then 200k tho)

So, I got to thinking... she's a spy right? Well, a lot of people (read:badguys) have seen her face now because she was so visibly active since Iron Man 2 and Avengers within the MCU. What if they keep Black Widow in and just get a new person to play her and say that she changed her look, plastic surgery, so she could keep spying and not lose the edge of surprise.

Then it could turn into a running feature of sorts in the MCU, who will play Black Widow next? What will black widow look like in the next film?

I think it'd be pretty cool and we get a nice rotation of girls to play the part with each movie ;)
That's a good idea in theory, but when they actually call attention to the fact that a cast member has changed, then it backs them into a corner when someone else changes actors. They can't just say that every character that swaps actors has had plastic surgery to keep their identity hidden. They'll just ignore it like they did when Ruffalo replaced Norton for Banner.

Anth0ny

Yeah, I'm totally fine with them letting Scar Jo go.

But Evans and Hemsworth getting only a couple hundred thousand for their roles is fucking pathetic, especially beside RDJ (who admittedly is the biggest draw by far, but still).

I feel even worse for the VFX dudes.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Keep Hemsworth and Evans and drop ScarJo and Renner instead

yup, both Hemsworth and Evans have clout after the successes thus far. When it's time to re-negotiate, Marvel would be silly to not cave unless they were moving beyond the Thor and Cpt America franchises for their staples.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Replacing multiple actors is a good way to kill the universe outright. No thanks. They can't pull a War Machine again, especially with characters and recognizable actors people care about. For the greater good, no thanks.

obin_gam

They need to keep "the big three" imo (RDJ and Chris'). Everyone else is expendable.

And seriously Disney, you're going to make a gazillion dollars with Avengers 2, give them the fucking pay increase!

So, Marvel's stingyness is going to bite them in the ass and fuck up EVERYTHING they worked hard to make towards now?

How in the flying fuck could a collection of people be so goddamn idiotic?

We're not even in executive positions and yet the vast majority of GAF can make common sense decisions that would seem like a no brainer?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
RUMOR: Joss Whedon has Saoirse Ronan in mind for Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2

SRSW.jpg

We're a good two years off before we see Marvel's The Avengers 2, but we already know that Joss Whedon is working hard on the script and it's been confirmed a week ago that the sister and brother team of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be joining the cast as the big additions to the team this time around.

There are probably a lot of thoughts about who should be cast in these roles and how they should be portrayed, but we've learned that Marvel and Joss definitely have a few ideas already and one of them is that the duo are going to be younger than the rest of the team.

Although Joss is still writing and probably not ready to send anything out to actors, for the two roles, they're generally looking for actors in their 20s and we've heard word that the "prototype" for their Scarlet Witch is none other than Irish actress Saoirse Ronan. Except something to note is that they're going "British" for the role rather than trying to have actors playing Eastern Europeans.

Interesting. I think skewing them a little younger than the rest of the group is a good idea, though not making them Eastern European is sort of a missed opportunity for more diversity. I'm really interested to see how they plan on using them especially in the context of the plot.

Macka

How are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver going to fit in with the rest of the Avengers? I mean, their backstory as mutants can't be explored in great detail, and their powers are different from the other guys...more magic based.

How are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver going to fit in with the rest of the Avengers? I mean, their backstory as mutants can't be explored in great detail, and their powers are different from the other guys...more magic based.

She's magic, he's a military experiment like the Winter Soldier. She breaks him free and they've been on the run since.

That's how I'd play it, anyway.

Tobor

Interesting. I think skewing them a little younger than the rest of the group is a good idea, though not making them Eastern European is sort of a missed opportunity for more diversity. I'm really interested to see how they plan on using them especially in the context of the plot.

They're going to be villains in A2. I'd bet money on it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

...magic like Thor and Loki??

Blader

Also, twitter Q&A with Feige reveals that Extremis will appear again and that the reason for SHIELD's absence in IM3 will be revealed in future films.

Also, twitter Q&A with Feige reveals that Extremis will appear again and that the reason for SHIELD's absence in IM3 will be revealed in future films.
Glad to know we'll get some followthrough with the Extremis plot. I assume the SHIELD absence will have something to do with Cap 2.

Tom_Cody

Black Panther being their second film for 2014, Avengers 2 leading into a Planet Hulk film, Avengers 3 being World War Hulk

All within the last few months.
Lol if that was all them. So much internet chatter generated over those fake rumors. At least they know how to invent really interest stuff.

Or he'll use a modified Extremis virus to incorporate the armor into his bones like the comic.

It's the power source that they have to figure out if they go that route.

SHIELD will probably aid in the modification of Extremis would be my guess.

Hex

Banned
They're going to be villains in A2. I'd bet money on it.

More like they will be the targets that the baddie is after and who are in hiding to begin with, and of course Quicksilver will be more inclined to start shit all over the place.

I wonder if they're going to have people simply born with powers in the MCU? Not mutants per se, just 'gifted' people, like their own skewed version. Or they could have Extremis be the cause of all kinds of genetic mutations going forward. Unlocking the potential of the brain and all that.

nomis

I wonder if they're going to have people simply born with powers in the MCU? Not mutants per se, just 'gifted' people, like their own skewed version. Or they could have Extremis be the cause of all kinds of genetic mutations going forward. Unlocking the potential of the brain and all that.

Hahahaha Fox would fucking shit themselves.

"No it's Extremis."

AMUSIX

Since Marvel owns the TV rights to Spidey, they should have him in Agents of SHIELD. Make him a douchey ultra-hip teen skater with meticulously quaffed hair that girls totally hit on, and have Coulson just mock him whenever they cross paths. Then have one of the lesser agents take down the Rhino or Electro as a B-plot in one of the episodes.

Top Bottom