• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Cartman86

Banned
Cross post!

IGN got an interview with exec producer Jeff Bell and he probably says more than anyone has about this show so far.

IGN TV: So how would you describe this show week-to-week? What kind of adventures will S.H.I.E.L.D. be having?

Jeffrey Bell: Well, we’re kind of hoping we’ll do kind of like we did on Angel: every week different. I mean, spy, action, monsters, alien, sci-fi -- it’s ABC, so romance. But tonally, big Marvel, aspirational heroes trying to help people -- not dark or cynical -- but changing every week. Hopefully with a lot of humor.

IGN: And I’ve got to ask about J. August Richards…

Bell: Killed it! He’s so good. He’s so good, because we were looking for this character M-- I almost said his name. It’s not the one people are talking about.

[Editor's Note: Yes, it kind of sounded like Bell was about to say a name beginning with an M... but maybe he just made a strong "HMM" sound when he stopped himself! Ah, so much to ponder.]

IGN: He’s not! So I’m going to say Luke Cage, and you’re going to say...

Bell: I’m going to say that’s an interesting Marvel character, but no. But he came in and killed it. Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, look, all our parts are open to all diversity. So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn’t like, “You know who…!”

IGN: Should we assume it’s someone familiar if you read Marvel comics?

Bell: You know, not necessarily. I mean, we’re going to draw from it, but Marvel has its thing, and we’re also going to be expanding forward, and this world is different since The Avengers. So I think there will be people showing up, some from the Marvel Universe and some not. But to commit to anything more would be telling.

IGN: We know the focus is on people without powers. Will we see J, or other characters with powers, pretty frequently though?

Bell: J’s a guest star in it, and we talk about it like this: If you take all the Marvel movies, really only Captain America and the Hulk are the only real “superheroes” in all those movies. You’ve got an alien god, but in all those movies, there’s been, like, three [superheroes]. So if we trot out a superhero every week, it would be weird. But we’re saying the world is different and things are changing, so we will be finding other people -- so whether it’s science or whether it’s a result of [what happened in] New York or whether they're from somewhere else, we’re open to everything. Whatever makes cool stories.

Not Luke Cage. Possibly not a Marvel character, and if it is a Marvel character his race might not even be a hint. They don't seem to cast based on the prior race of a character.

What happens after avengers 3? Do they stop making avengers movies, change the lineup, reboot, or just recast everybody?

Hard to tell at this point. If they manage to pull off another two Avengers movie with the original cast, including RDJ, they'll probably try for A4 before they reboot. If the second two are as succesful, no reason they wouldn't at least attempt.

Gorillaz

I thought alot about Marvel and Phase 3+.....I really wonder what would be next for them since they have been planning out only 3 of them. Though they could do a Phase 4 but I don't think they are positioned or prepared to go THAT long with the same team of people.

Maybe a Illumanti Avengers storyline? I forgot who said it but I agree in a wa that the next storyline needs to shy away from the galactic stuff. At least to a point where it doesn't feel like a reskin.

Also speaking of GotG I still think it is the Dark Horse of Phase 2. Feeling optimistic about it.

EDIT: Black Panther will probably have a cameo in A2. It's seeming more and more likely that he will show up in some form.

I just read that in the Fantastic Four, reboot movie, Johnny Storm and probably Susan Storm will be Black?

Is this true? because it would be kinda awesome if it's true.

AMUSIX

Avengers 2 will obviously carry over heroes from A1, will add some, and will lose some. I'd expect the same to happen in A3, and again in A4. In fact, by the time A4 rolls around, the Avengers cinematic line up might look decidedly different than it is now.

Something along the lines of:
A1 - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye
A2 - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Falcon
A3 - Captain America, Antman, Wasp, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther
A4 - Captain Marvel, Antman, Sentry, Nova, Daredevil, Iron Man
A5 - Moon Knight, Squirrel Girl, NFL Superpro, Spider Woman

People seem to think that without Iron Man, there is no MCU, and while he is, without a doubt, the biggest draw (by far) Marvel knows that they will have to both write him out of the central continuity and find a star-power replacement. We don't know how popular Antman or Black Panther or Nova or Daredevil or Captain Marvel might be. Sure, we can speculate based on the popularity of the character in comics, but every movie has the potential to be a break-out hit (which is what Iron Man was).

TDLink

I thought alot about Marvel and Phase 3+.....I really wonder what would be next for them since they have been planning out only 3 of them. Though they could do a Phase 4 but I don't think they are positioned or prepared to go THAT long with the same team of people.

Maybe a Illumanti Avengers storyline? I forgot who said it but I agree in a wa that the next storyline needs to shy away from the galactic stuff. At least to a point where it doesn't feel like a reskin.

Also speaking of GotG I still think it is the Dark Horse of Phase 2. Feeling optimistic about it.

EDIT: Black Panther will probably have a cameo in A2. It's seeming more and more likely that he will show up in some form.

My hunch is that if GotG takes off like they want it to they could use a GotG 3 (or another Cosmic movie if they go into Annihilation in Phase 3 instead of GotG 2) in Phase 4 as the big last movie. That would give Avengers a break. Then bring Avengers 4 in for Phase 5. With the larger time-gap it will be enough time for fans to be more understanding of actor changes.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...arlet-witch-and-iron-mans-roles-in-avengers-2

Also, Joss Whedon talks Avengers 2. He confirms Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in the screenplay.

Whedon had previously alluded to a brother/sister duo being in the film, which EW later said was indeed Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. When I brought up Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch to Whedon, he confirmed they were the characters in question, explaining, “You know, they had a rough beginning. They’re interesting to me because they sort of represent the part of the world that wouldn’t necessarily agree with The Avengers. So they’re not there to make things easier. I’m not putting any characters in the movie that will make things easier.”

He also talks about Iron Man's role in the film:

When I asked Whedon if that made it a challenge putting Iron Man in Avengers 2, he remarked, “Well, I feel like in Iron Man 3, even though he said, ‘I’ve changed' -- he blew up his remote suits, but I don’t think anybody thinks he doesn’t have one anymore. The question is, if The Avengers are called, does he show up? And the answer is, ‘Yes!’”

THE ROCK IS LUKE CAGE U GAIZ

yAkCzbO.png

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Avengers 2 will obviously carry over heroes from A1, will add some, and will lose some. I'd expect the same to happen in A3, and again in A4. In fact, by the time A4 rolls around, the Avengers cinematic line up might look decidedly different than it is now.

Something along the lines of:
A1 - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye
A2 - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Falcon
A3 - Captain America, Antman, Wasp, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther
A4 - Captain Marvel, Antman, Sentry, Nova, Daredevil, Iron Man
A5 - Moon Knight, Squirrel Girl, NFL Superpro, Spider Woman

Dat one black guy at a time quota

Gorillaz

It was only a matter of time until The Rock was part of MCU. He is one of Disney's fav and him being mixed allows flexible choices for alot of heroes.

fader

I just read that in the Fantastic Four, reboot movie, Johnny Storm and probably Susan Storm will be Black?

Is this true? because it would be kinda awesome if it's true.

you know, i saw that they were talking to Michael B. Jordan for Human Torch, people gonna complain though...

You should have higher aspirations that holding water for Black Panther.

whaaa-

fader

The more I think about it, Runaways would make so much more sense as a TV show. Especially now that they're venturing in to that territory with SHIELD. That series will never make sense as part of the greater Avengers strategy and the premise works perfectly for more serialized story telling.

I think that would make more sense now that you mention. I would just love for them to make a Runaways media, I really enjoy that series.

They should keep Renner as Barton, but they should take cues from Fraction's run.

I think a Hawkguy one-shot in the MCU written by Fraction and played by Renner would do wonders.

inky

Nah Michael Jai White.

EDIT: Beaten like a jive ass muthafuuuuuckkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

He can still be BP, right? RIGHT!?

They should keep Renner as Barton, but they should take cues from Fraction's run.

I think a Hawkguy one-shot in the MCU written by Fraction and played by Renner would do wonders.

I finally read the first 3 issues of this run and now I know why it comes up that much in this forum. It's pretty fun and well written.

Maybe by Phase 4 they'll have access to X-Men and Spiderman and F4.........and they can do Onslaught!

The budget for an Onslaught movie would have to be like 500 million dollars due to the number of characters :p

TDLink

Maybe by Phase 4 they'll have access to X-Men and Spiderman and F4.........and they can do Onslaught!

The budget for an Onslaught movie would have to be like 500 million dollars due to the number of characters :p

If Sony goes under, which is possible (but would be horrible), then Spider-Man is possible. I could see FOX giving up Fantastic Four eventually also.

X-Men will never leave FOX though. I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Men license was still held by FOX 50 years from now.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about it, Runaways would make so much more sense as a TV show. Especially now that they're venturing in to that territory with SHIELD. That series will never make sense as part of the greater Avengers strategy and the premise works perfectly for more serialized story telling.

You're absolutely right. A tv show covering Vaughan's run would be ace.

Top Bottom