• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Khezu

Captain America 2 should be about Steve finding out Namor is still alive and still fucking awesome. Then they reminisce about how the two of them and the human torch fucked some nazi shit up back in the day.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Fixed in support of superior aquatic superhero.

I prefer Namor, but that's besides the point. Marvel is taking chances with their characters, while DC isn't currently, especially after Green Lantern. I'd put my money on Namor showing up on the big screen before Aquaman. If I was Marvel, I'd go through with it in some fashion to get the one up on DC.

ReiGun

Oh no doubt. Namor will be on film long before Aquaman. And it burns me up inside.

Is it too much to just want Aquaman to get some shine? Or hell, any DC hero whose not Batman? :'(

Who is Marvel's answer to Mongul?

Sadly, the closest and most well known greedy alien entrepreneur would be Mojo who's primarily associated with the X-Men.

Of course there's Grandmaster, but he's a little more like Marvel's Q and I doubt he'd be able to carry a movie.

KevinCow

Banned
Aquaman is a joke. No one takes him seriously.

I want to see an awesome Aquaman movie. It would be hilarious - not necessarily the movie itself, but the concept of a an Aquaman movie coming out and being awesome.

I think it could be done well if the right people were behind it. Treat it kinda like Thor, except Atlantis instead of Asgard. Use crazy, bearded, shirtless, hook-hand, King and Guardian of Atlantis Aquaman, not boyscout, clean-shaven, fish suit, Superfriends Aquaman. Ignore his fish-summoning power for the most part, except have a scene where he summons a shark to eat a dude.

Plot could basically be, humans start to encroach on Atlantean territory, Aquaman tries to set them straight, conflict between humans and Atlanteans. Suddenly, SUPERVILLAIN! Humans and Atlanteans settle their differences and combine forces to defeat the supervillain. Fin.

Mainly I just wanna see crazy bearded Aquaman leap out of the water and stab a dude with his hook-hand.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I'm rewatching Iron Man 2 right now and it really does seem like a much stronger film then everyone gives it credit for. I liked it when I first saw it, but upon rewatching I'm really appreciating the slow build and the character development they have going on.

I think it could be done well if the right people were behind it.

aquaman_james_cameron_variety_story.jpg

Mr. Sam

So I'm rewatching Iron Man 2 right now and it really does seem like a much stronger film then everyone gives it credit for. I liked it when I first saw it, but upon rewatching I'm really appreciating the slow build and the character development they have going on.

To an extent, I can see why people were disappointed. However, the amount of vitriol has always confused me. The quality difference between the first and the second just doesn't seem that great to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
To an extent, I can see why people were disappointed. However, the amount of vitriol has always confused me. The quality difference between the first and the second just doesn't seem that great to me.

I think that I'd call Iron Man 2 the stronger movie overall, but Iron Man 1 is still better because it does the origin story so fantastically, even if the rest of the movie is a bit weak.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been saying this forever. Most of the complaints for Iron Man 2 are hyperbole and dissonant across the MCU. Different movie. It actually shares a lot with the Avengers in terms of the fun quality and the playfulness of it all. I think it was a pretty perfect sequel to Iron Man without being Iron Man 1 redux which is what people were expecting I guess. The tonal shift is justified, and sensible.

ReiGun

I've always enjoyed Iron Man 2, but I see the problems people have with it. I didn't mind the Shield stuff, but the movie definitely needed a stronger villain. Hammer was cool, but Whiplash was terribad.

I want to see an awesome Aquaman movie. It would be hilarious - not necessarily the movie itself, but the concept of a an Aquaman movie coming out and being awesome.

I think it could be done well if the right people were behind it. Treat it kinda like Thor, except Atlantis instead of Asgard. Use crazy, bearded, shirtless, hook-hand, King and Guardian of Atlantis Aquaman, not boyscout, clean-shaven, fish suit, Superfriends Aquaman. Ignore his fish-summoning power for the most part, except have a scene where he summons a shark to eat a dude.

Plot could basically be, humans start to encroach on Atlantean territory, Aquaman tries to set them straight, conflict between humans and Atlanteans. Suddenly, SUPERVILLAIN! Humans and Atlanteans settle their differences and combine forces to defeat the supervillain. Fin.

Mainly I just wanna see crazy bearded Aquaman leap out of the water and stab a dude with his hook-hand.

Fuck that. Classic orange chainmail and green pants or no sale. Also, Superior Classic Aquabro leaping from the water to stab dudes with a trident >>>>>>>> hook hand bro douche Aquaman.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Been saying this forever. Most of the complaints for Iron Man 2 are hyperbole and dissonant across the MCU. Different movie. It actually shares a lot with the Avengers in terms of the fun quality and the playfulness of it all. I think it was a pretty perfect sequel to Iron Man without being Iron Man 1 redux which is what people were expecting I guess. The tonal shift is justified, and sensible.

The villains could have gotten a little more playtime but besides that I really liked it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
He wa the glib sort of douche you're meant to hate and he played it brilliantly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The villains could have gotten a little more playtime but besides that I really liked it.
I feel like this is an issue with his rogues gallery in general. Whiplash definitely does not hold up as well on repeat viewings, and although I thought Stane was a great choice, I never found Iron Monger to be very compelling or even formidable, especially during the final sequences of IM1.

Mandarin should provide something interesting and different. I think the marriage between the Extremis and Mandarin arcs could be beautiful. I'm not too familiar with Mandarin myself (Comics-GAF, suggested marquee readings plz?) but I think they could still be magical rings in MCU, as audiences are eased up to the idea of the supernatural now after the rest of the MCU movies, but harnessed through technology. He could also lead the terrorist group that steals the Extremis virus and uses the subject to do his bidding, possibly augmented by the power of the rings. There are your two villains that can provide for a few small action sequences and 1-2 big ones as well. The technological/supernatural contrast is great to build a plot around. Fake edit: Shit, bring Hammer back as a benefactor, he was absolutely fantastic in IM2. Great performance.

I'm more worried about audience reception to Extremis armor than to 10 magical rings. Can be either "OMFG SO BAD ASS" or "So what he's an X-man now?"

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I prefer Namor, but that's besides the point. Marvel is taking chances with their characters, while DC isn't currently, especially after Green Lantern. I'd put my money on Namor showing up on the big screen before Aquaman. If I was Marvel, I'd go through with it in some fashion to get the one up on DC.

if DC were smart they'd go for someone like Blue Beetle. Can target a younger crowd, comic book fans know him so thats another built in demographic. And he's a genuinely good character. I would also say Static Shock...oh YES, original run in milestone comics was legit stuff. i would actually like anything Milestone comics, Static, Hardware, Icon , even Blood Syndicate.

Salsa

oh speaking about villains, i never voiced this:

The Chitauri were boring. Probably the only part of the movie i didnt necesarelly liked , although it didnt really harm the movie, i felt it was sort of a wasted opportunity.

Besides not being very interesting and quite generic, their design was pretty boring, specially the snake things. One could argue about the Transofmers comparissions but in that particular element i can see where they're coming from.

Would have loved to see actual Skrulls instead of earth-1610 equivalents.

if DC were smart they'd go for someone like Blue Beetle. Can target a younger crowd, comic book fans know him so thats another built in demographic. And he's a genuinely good character. I would also say Static Shock...oh YES, original run in milestone comics was legit stuff. i would actually like anything Milestone comics, Static, Hardware, Icon , even Blood Syndicate.

You know the executives are going to want to emphasize that Blue Beetle and Static are both ethnic characters. Which will result in plenty of slang and whatnot.

Static Shock the movie though. It sounds glorious

Tobor

oh speaking about villains, i never voiced this:

The Chitauri were boring. Probably the only part of the movie i didnt necesarelly liked , although it didnt really harm the movie, i felt it was sort of a wasted opportunity.

Besides not being very interesting and quite generic, their design was pretty boring, specially the snake things. One could argue about the Transofmers comparissions but in that particular element i can see where they're coming from.

Would have loved to see actual Skrulls instead of earth-1610 equivalents.

You really wanted them to take screen time away to better explain the Chitauri? Or worse, waste a ton of screen time on a shapeshifting sub-plot?

Salsa

You really wanted them to take screen time away to better explain the Chitauri? Or worse, waste a ton of screen time on a shapeshifting sub-plot?

I never said i wanted them to be better explained, i just didnt really enjoyed the approach, and i mostly didnt care for their design at all

Tobor

I never said i wanted them to be better explained, i just didnt really enjoyed the approach, and i mostly didnt care for their design at all

You said you wanted Skrulls. Skrulls mean shape shifting, which means a completely different story. One with more of a focus on the villains and less time for the hero's.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You can have a douche character that doesn't play stupid to the point that you can't believe he would ever be in a position like that.

He solely as a tool for the script, it's terrible. He accomplishes nothing for himself. He does shit for other people so the plot moves a little bit and then disappears. It's transparent as hell. Marvel really fucked IM2 by rushing that film out.

Salsa

You said you wanted Skrulls. Skrulls mean shape shifting, which means a completely different story. One with more of a focus on the villains and less time for the hero's.

Eh, i guess. Im not trying to go as far as to say how i could make it work since im not trying to pretend i would know, im just mentioning it since i dont have anything else bad to say about the movie really.

So, I need to see Namor all up in this universe in the very near future. He's the freaking king of the sea and his smug ass must be recognized.

Also, none of this pants of jumpsuit garbage. He needs to rock the green speedo, nothing else will suffice.

duckroll

I think he just wanted them to be more interesting on-screen, which is a feeling I think most people share about the movie. The army was lame and boring, even if the action is interesting. They were total canon-fodder and were never interesting in terms of their weapons, design, or anything they did on screen. All the fun was due to the Avengers themselves, as an invading army, the aliens were shit.

Salsa

I think he just wanted them to be more interesting on-screen, which is a feeling I think most people share about the movie. The army was lame and boring, even if the action is interesting. They were total canon-fodder and were never interesting in terms of their weapons, design, or anything they did on screen. All the fun was due to the Avengers themselves, as an invading army, the aliens were shit.

yup.

boi

Neo Member
Am I the only one who thought that the movie wasn't really satisfying?

When I read a few years back somewhere that Zak Penn would be writing the script, and that it would use The Ultimates as a base for the story, I couldn't believe it. The first comics I read were The Ultimates 1 & 2 and instead of reading I felt like I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster movie all the time. It's just so good. The part where Iron Man drains away the electricity from an entire state, the part where Thor goes nuts in the sky and battles thousands of aliens, the part where they beat down the Hulk, the part where Thor transports the bomb to another realm. sogood.gif

When I saw the movie I saw a small shitty army, not worthy of being called an invasion, and some childish conversations between grown-up men (especially when they are all in the SHIELD-room arguing with eachother like a they're having a fight on the playing grounds at school). Also, I think the costumes (except the Iron Man-one, which I think is better in his traditional form) from the comic books are much more fitting for this time and age as the ones used in the film.

What happened? It seemed to me The Ultimates were the best source material ever for a feature film, but none of the elements that made it so great were translated to the big screen.

Khezu

Probably because 616 is a much better representation of the marvel brand, makes it a lot easier to market there stuff and create a big universe full of movies.

The ultimate brand is damaged goods, though there doing some interesting things with miles, and making Reed into the western version of Aizen.

They probably could have fleshed out the alien army more or whatever but honestly i felt like by that point the movie was ready to END almost so there just was no time left...

can't fit all of it in just one movie.

duckroll

They probably could have fleshed out the alien army more or whatever but honestly i felt like by that point the movie was ready to END almost so there just was no time left...

can't fit all of it in just one movie.

I don't think it's about fleshing out anything. Just make it visually interesting or something unique and cool. Instead they went for the laziest route there is - a humanoid alien army who for whatever reason have almost no actual protective armor, they fire generic laser beams, and there's nothing interesting or unique about them at all. The most creative part of their invading force is a huge fish carrier which looks like the one from TF3. Boring!

Loki could have summoned an army of colorful alien insects to attack the city and it would have been an improvement.

Mr. Sam

What happened? It seemed to me The Ultimates were the best source material ever for a feature film, but none of the elements that made it so great were translated to the big screen.

Well, Bryan Hitch's two designs for the Captain America costume were used in Captain America - but woefully left out of The Avengers - but otherwise the borrowing from The Ultimates has been fairly indirect.

I have a fondness for The Ultimates as well, but I'm also very pleased with what we've got. Thor as a hippy/cult leader who may or may not be insane is a neat idea, but I also like Thor the fish-out-of-water, boisterous Asgardian god. Captain America as the curmudgeonly old, jingoistic grandpa sounds neat, but I also like boy scout, embodiment of the American ideal Captain America. Bruce Banner as a neurotic, envious nerd could be interesting, but I think Mark Ruffalo's more assured Banner makes more sense for the character at this point in his history.

Obviously, we haven't seen how (or if) they're going to tackle Hank Pym and The Wasp yet, and Hawkeye and Black Widow only got any real characterisation in The Ultimates 2.

Tizoc

Captain America 2 should be about Steve finding out Namor is still alive and still fucking awesome. Then they reminisce about how the two of them and the human torch fucked some nazi shit up back in the day.

...but...but...THE CONTINUITY!

noah111

Still Alive
Iron Man 3 will show you guys how a real sequel to Iron Man should be.
I have a feeling IM3 is shaping up to be something really good as well. They've certainly learned a lot, not just from the mistakes in IM2 but all the MCU films and reception on each.

I'm more worried about CA2 than IM3 or Thor 2, and I think by them sticking it in 2014 behind both of those sequels, they know this as well, and are trying to get it right with the extra time given.

Tobor

I understand that, I was replying to his proposed solution. Which wasn't possible for the reasons I gave.

Top Bottom