• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

noah111

Still Alive
So, I need to see Namor all up in this universe in the very near future. He's the freaking king of the sea and his smug ass must be recognized.

Also, none of this pants of jumpsuit garbage. He needs to rock the green speedo, nothing else will suffice.
I think Ant-Man and Runaways/Guardians will be the new stuff for Phase 2, pre-A2, and then Namor and Dr. Strange for post-A2 'Phase 3', among other new franchises. I mean, after Avengers 2, what's the possibility we see Iron Man 4 alongside Thor 3 and Captain America 3? How long will the stretch those out? Seems like that would only hinder the chances of introducing new franchises/characters to the MCU.

The MCU is basically a combination of 616 and the Ultimate universes, which works. Its enough realism/modernism but still traditional. EG: IM1 opening sequence.
True. The aspects of the Ult. verse that are different just for the sake of not being like the 616 version (i.e. "Ultimates" rather than "Avengers) are thrown out, but the core 'modern' stuff is retained for the most part.

But obviously, despite the fact that they pick and choose from both universe, in the end there'll always be aspects completely new and mixed up in a unique way. The point is to still feel 'right' at the end.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Question: Outside of Mandarin, what other villains does Iron Man have left that would work well on the big screen? Many of Iron Man's villains are similar with powered suits and already have seen War Machine, Iron Monger, and a version of Crimson Dynamo that was combined with Whiplash at the end of Iron Man 2, I don't necessarily want to see more powered suits.

Question: Outside of Mandarin, what other villains does Iron Man have left that would work well on the big screen? Many of Iron Man's villains are similar with powered suits and already have seen War Machine, Iron Monger, and a version of Crimson Dynamo that was combined with Whiplash at the end of Iron Man 2, I don't necessarily want to see more powered suits.

Fin Fang Foom might work, or even MODOK but he would probably be best left for Captain America.

Caspel

Fin Fang Foom might work, or even MODOK but he would probably be best left for Captain America.

I don't see MODOK working. He's definitely not "cool" for audiences to latch onto.

175px-Iron_Man_Helps_MODOK.jpg

Fin Fang Foom would be cool to see, but I don't think they could rationally explain a magical/alien dragon as the main nemesis.
Foom-iron-man.gif

There's a lot actually. Ultimo, Titanium Man and Technovore come to mind immediately, but also other notable villains that were introduced first in Iron Man comics like Ghost, A.I.M. and even Thanos.

In addition there's Madame Masque and Spymaster who would fit into the "Tom Clancy thriller" Shane Black was aiming for, Arsenal which has ties to Howard Stark, Living Laser and Radioactive Man, and more "dudes with armor" types like Melter and Mauler. Iron Man actually has a really good list of villains, just none as big and well-known as Spider-man's or Batman's.

Here's a good list I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iron_Man_enemies

EDIT: In regards to Fin Fang Foom, I think he makes exactly as much sense as Asgardians, Thanos and the Chitauri, especially since a lot of people were speculating the Chitauri snake things in Avengers was Fin Fang Foom. He'd work best in conjunction with Mandarin, I think.

Caspel

There's a lot actually. Ultimo, Titanium Man and Technovore come to mind immediately, but also other notable villains that were introduced first in Iron Man comics like Ghost, A.I.M. and even Thanos.

In addition there's Madame Masque and Spymaster who would fit into the "Tom Clancy thriller" Shane Black was aiming for, Arsenal which has ties to Howard Stark, Living Laser and Radioactive Man, and more "dudes with armor" types like Melter and Mauler. Iron Man actually has a really good list of villains, just none as big and well-known as Spider-man's or Batman's.

Ultimo will be redundant once Ultron is introduced.

Titanium man is another dude in a suit, so is Ghost.

Living Laser and Radioactive Man will be hard to bring to the screen with their origins and powers as is.

I like Spymaster, but he is a lackey. Madame Masque is one I never considered, but she would be grounded and allow for more females to show up in the MCU.

Iron Man 3 is truly a question mark for me until details are revealed on the villains.

True. The aspects of the Ult. verse that are different just for the sake of not being like the 616 version (i.e. "Ultimates" rather than "Avengers) are thrown out, but the core 'modern' stuff is retained for the most part.

But obviously, despite the fact that they pick and choose from both universe, in the end there'll always be aspects completely new and mixed up in a unique way. The point is to still feel 'right' at the end.

Absolutely. The 616/Ultimate universe "crossover" works well on screen, and that's for the best.

Or an early version of Ultron. He's definitely the best choice for a single villain in Avengers 2 if they save Thanos for Avengers 3.

As super hyped as I am about Thanos, I think they need to save him for a third movie. Going that big in the second movie is just TOO big. There is nowhere but down after that. But I have professed my need for Ultron in an Avengers movie a lot on here. It is one of the iconic Avengers villains, and one the public does not know much about. And Ultron also means fan favorite Vision is in tow.

Best possible outcome: set up Thanos across all the movies coming out, even Avengers two. Build up the threat to be universe ending levels. Avengers 2 is the team taking on a smaller threat, then just go balls out crazy in Avengers 3 with Thanos.

Slayven

As super hyped as I am about Thanos, I think they need to save him for a third movie. Going that big in the second movie is just TOO big. There is nowhere but down after that. But I have professed my need for Ultron in an Avengers movie a lot on here. It is one of the iconic Avengers villains, and one the public does not know much about. And Ultron also means fan favorite Vision is in tow.

Best possible outcome: set up Thanos across all the movies coming out, even Avengers two. Build up the threat to be universe ending levels. Avengers 2 is the team taking on a smaller threat, then just go balls out crazy in Avengers 3 with Thanos.

They should have gone with the Masters of Evil for A2

JdFoX187

Banned
Use Ant Man movie to set up Ultron, then have an Avengers movie of the team taking Ultron on. Ultron is too badass to be wasted on a solo hero movie. Avengers or bust!

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Introduce Ultron in Ant Man and perhaps a teaser that Thanos corrupts him and turns him evil or whatever for the Avengers film. It keeps Thanos in the background, but still ever-present like a Chess master moving his pieces across the board.

The only issue I see with the Masters of Evil, is that they need to be setup/introduced. Of course, that could be done within the next wave of Marvel movies. Similar to everything Pre-Avengers.

Khezu

Tony's greatest antagonists are
Jack Daniel's and Captain America

I don't see why the main villain of a IM movie has to be one of tony's rogues, there are a lot of good villains they could pull from other properties that would probably never get into a movie otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Introduce Ultron in Ant Man and perhaps a teaser that Thanos corrupts him and turns him evil or whatever for the Avengers film. It keeps Thanos in the background, but still ever-present like a Chess master moving his pieces across the board.

If they do Ultron in the movies, I could see them using JARVIS as the AI base that goes crazy. And if they do Ultron, I want the good ole head design.
250px-Avengersultronunleashed1.jpg

The only issue I see with the Masters of Evil, is that they need to be setup/introduced. Of course, that could be done within the next wave of Marvel movies. Similar to everything Pre-Avengers.
It wouldn't be that hard... had Mandarin and Enchantress (assuming those are the villains) negotiating with an unknown person at the end of their films, have Captain America 2 set up Baron Zemo as the next hot shit with the after credits scene being him getting Abomination, then have Ultron in Ant-Man.

Then have it in a way that Thanos influenced Zemo and/or Ultron or stuff like that. There are plenty of ways to do it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If they do Ultron in the movies, I could see them using JARVIS as the AI base that goes crazy. And if they do Ultron, I want the good ole head design.
250px-Avengersultronunleashed1.jpg

Hmm that would be an excellent shortcut for the MCU.

ultron87

So I just read Avengers Forever for the first time in years. We need some Kang the Conqueror up in this movie business. They could probably drop the green and purple suit.

A2 post credits scene - Recruitment Drive at Avengers Mansion!

Scene: Avengers Mansion, typical summer day in New York. Colorful and familiar dressed heroes line up outside. *KABOOM*CRASH* Walls of the mansion explode outward with Spider-Man recovering mid-way and lands perched on a street lamp*. Hulk comes barreling after.

Hulk: Hulk SMASH spider!

Spider-Man: Don't call you, you'll call me. I got it! *thwips away into the cityscape*

It wouldn't be that hard... had Mandarin and Enchantress (assuming those are the villains) negotiating with an unknown person at the end of their films, have Captain America 2 set up Baron Zemo as the next hot shit with the after credits scene being him getting Abomination, then have Ultron in Ant-Man.

Then have it in a way that Thanos influenced Zemo and/or Ultron or stuff like that. There are plenty of ways to do it.

I meant setting up the Masters of Evil during A2 rather than taking their time with it and slowly setting them up.

random thought I had after seeing Avengers: some hardcore fans should go through all the Marvel movies, and do some fancy CG and editing to add characters from other movies into the big Avengers Manhattan battle, lol.

Or make some 4-5 hour edit that somehow ties in all the characters together. I'm sure there's somebody out there crazy enough to do it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a good writeup on how/why Marvel gave up the rights to Spiderman, X-men etc and if there is any way they could eventually get control back?

Dram

Is there a good writeup on how/why Marvel gave up the rights to Spiderman, X-men etc and if there is any way they could eventually get control back?

The basic info:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Xenix/news/?a=44445
Early on, when Marvel was near Bankruptcy, it pulled a last-ditch effort to save it's ass, in what has eventually been shown as a really, really bad idea.

Marvel decided, since they didn't have the money or time to make their own films, they'd sell several of their major properties on seven-year lease deals. If the studios they sold the rights to didn't use the properties within a seven year period, the rights would revert. The only way to reset said countdown would be to put a film in production, with a budget, cast, and etc.
Some of these properties reverted back to Marvel after lack of use, most recently Blade and Punisher, but some properties were never used, so they returned to the company, such as Iron Fist, Captain America, Thor, and Black Panther which were sold to Artisan Entertainment, which also came back when the company died in 2004. Iron Man's rights was also bounced around, from Universal who sold it to Fox who sold it to New Line, and reverted back to Marvel in 2005. Nicholas Cage and Brad Pitt were cast around as potentials for Tony Stark.

So as long as Fox and Sony make movies, with the characters every seven years, there's no way the rights will ever come back to Marvel. They could even make a cheap straight to DVD movie and still keep the rights.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I don't see why the main villain of a IM movie has to be one of tony's rogues, there are a lot of good villains they could pull from other properties that would probably never get into a movie otherwise.

A rewritten Taskmaster could be pretty cool. Admittedly if he was modernised it would be just another villain in a robot suit, but the fact that he could mimic and learn Iron Man (and the Avengers?) moves and traits could be pretty interesting.

I'm sure that's something they'd rather do with Ultron though?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm going with Hulk as the next Iron Man villain. Tony has got to wear this sooner or later.

15dwe87x1fy0.jpg

That wouldnt make sense....HulkBuster armor is an ironic name because Hulk always busts it, Tony never ever wins in Hulk buster armor cuz fighting Hulk head-on using nothing but brute force isnt how one succeeds against the Hulk.

Hulk 2s villain should be Ironman so that we can see Hulk bust yet another HulkBuster armor HAHAHA!!!!

P.S Before people post HulkBuster MK1 never actually got busted LALALALA!!!! I cant hear you, professor isnt Savage hulk so he[Tony] survived it.
But we saw that base level Professor took no damage and didnt even get stressed out in the slightest.

Tom_Cody

I had to go to a wedding last weekend so I only got around to seeing The Avengers on Saturday (and then again on Sunday). For that reason I have mostly been avoiding this thread.

What do we know regarding the chances for another Hulk film? I now as excited for that as I am about any other future Marvel films.

Top Bottom