• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Tobor

I had to go to a wedding last weekend so I only got around to seeing The Avengers on Saturday (and then again on Sunday). For that reason I have mostly been avoiding this thread.

What do we know regarding the chances for another Hulk film? I now as excited for that as I am about any other future Marvel films.

All we know is that Ruffalo was signed to a 6 picture deal, and that Feige is considering it.

Slayven

A rewritten Taskmaster could be pretty cool. Admittedly if he was modernised it would be just another villain in a robot suit, but the fact that he could mimic and learn Iron Man (and the Avengers?) moves and traits could be pretty interesting.

I'm sure that's something they'd rather do with Ultron though?

Living Laser.

IM3 tackling extremis and one of his other big baddies would be a really packed movie. They have already set him up enough times having his suit pretty banged up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
IM3 tackling extremis and one of his other big baddies would be a really packed movie. They have already set him up enough times having his suit pretty banged up.

Extremis is a good story but it needs a proper villain to work in movie form. A later arc about Extremis revolved around the Mandarin so there's no reason they can't tackle both.

Slayven

Extremis is a good story but it needs a proper villain to work in movie form. A later arc about Extremis revolved around the Mandarin so there's no reason they can't tackle both.

I hope the include the scene where Mandarin peels the armor off Tony.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Would love to see the Hulkbuster in the next Avengers movie. I'd like an appearance from Banner in IM3 I also kind of want Pepper to get suited up.

If they do another Hulk movie the villain will obviously be the Leader (that's his name, right? Dude with the HUUGE forehead?) since they showed him being created in The Incredible Hulk.

Hex

Banned
Is there a good writeup on how/why Marvel gave up the rights to Spiderman, X-men etc and if there is any way they could eventually get control back?

They sold the rights when they were ass up in the air in financial issues before Disney bought them.
As long as there are films in development within a certain cycle the other companies keep the rights.
Not sure about a write up though, I believe more details were posted either earlier in this thread or the Avengers one.

If they do another Hulk movie the villain will obviously be the Leader (that's his name, right? Dude with the HUUGE forehead?) since they showed him being created in The Incredible Hulk.

U-foes or Wrecking Crew. They have done the Hulk fights one bad guy thing twice now in the movies, and neither movie was very good. I think they really need the Hulk to fight a group of villains to make it interesting.

Asbel

A rewritten Taskmaster could be pretty cool. Admittedly if he was modernised it would be just another villain in a robot suit, but the fact that he could mimic and learn Iron Man (and the Avengers?) moves and traits could be pretty interesting.

I'm sure that's something they'd rather do with Ultron though?

Nothing wrong with villians in armor as that can be Iron Man's thing. Do you groan when you see another mutant villain in x-men? IM2 simply had a boring take on an armored villain.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Would love to see the Hulkbuster in the next Avengers movie. I'd like an appearance from Banner in IM3 I also kind of want Pepper to get suited up.

God no....please God no...Is pepper still in the rescue suit?.....I pray she isnt, i stopped reading Ironman some time back(New 52 and X-Men killing my budget) but seriously ive hated nearly every appearance of Rescue....if she makes it into the movie i will just die.

A rewritten Taskmaster could be pretty cool. Admittedly if he was modernised it would be just another villain in a robot suit, but the fact that he could mimic and learn Iron Man (and the Avengers?) moves and traits could be pretty interesting.?

I actually liked modernized(streamlined) taskmaster.
Its especially cool since he outdoes Ironman during his run and im sure if the arc was slightly better he would have made a fool of a lot more avengers.

I think this is what the movieverse should use as inspiration for Taskmaster, instead of carrying around a shield and plethora of other super-hero esc paraphernalia, let him use stolen and modified Start/Shield tech to make energy based versions of everything he needs.
e.g
Energy Shield - Captain America
Claws - Wolverine
Energy grapples - Spidermans websooters
Katana - Silver Samurais err sword
Guns - Punishers specialty
Bow that fires energy arrows - Hawkeyes bow and arrows
Sticky Boots/Gloves - Spidermans ability to stick to surfaces
String Batons - Dardevils Batons

Streamlined Taskmaster:
811Uq.jpg

Orh0g.jpg

YWfA1.jpg

JI8t2.jpg

So Kevin Feige said that they're working on 2 movies they haven't announced:

We want to do two films a year. Avengers is our only film this year, but in a week and a half we begin filming Iron Man 3. By the end of the summer we’ll be working on the next Thor film, early next year the next Captain America film. Those are the three we’ve announced so far; we’ve got two beyond that that we haven’t announced yet, but we’re working on.

I think it's a fair assumption that one is Ant-Man, any ideas about the other one? Doctor Strange? Black Panther? Hulk?

If they didn't have another Hulk movie in production before Avengers came out, I guarantee they're fast-tracking it now.

Other than that, Black Panther or Dr. Strange are definitely possible, but personally I'd love to see Heroes for Hire get made. That's what I'm hoping for.

noah111

Still Alive
They have had a Doctor Strange movie on the back burner for a while I thought.
Not as much as Ant-Man. We already know for a fact what the two movies he's alluding to are on this list;

a) Ant-Man
b) Runaways
c) Guardians of the Galaxy
d) Inhumans

At this point Ant-Man seems all but confirmed, leaving the second one, in my mind, to be either Runaways or Guardians. That can go either way depending on how integral you think Thanos would be in A2.

If they didn't have another Hulk movie in production before Avengers came out, I guarantee they're fast-tracking it now.

Other than that, Black Panther or Dr. Strange are definitely possible, but personally I'd love to see Heroes for Hire get made. That's what I'm hoping for.
I'm gonna call it: None of the above will happen before Avengers 2.

noah111

Still Alive
I can see Runaways working tremendously in the MCU, specifically playing off of the events of Avengers. It could almost be like an Avengers 1.5 in the public's eyes, if they did it right.

I honestly can't se Guardians looking good or appealing on the big screen, but it can't be denied that it could serve as a really excellent Thanos backstory thread leading up to Avengers 2.

Inhumans seems irrelevant to everything, tbh, so I doubt we'll see that for a while. However, it would give Marvel their 'X-Men' equivalent in the MCU, but it's not like they need that right now anyway.

Snaku

Banned
U-foes or Wrecking Crew. They have done the Hulk fights one bad guy thing twice now in the movies, and neither movie was very good. I think they really need the Hulk to fight a group of villains to make it interesting.

I think they could have the Hulk fight the Leader and make it work, if the Leader enlists Ross to aid him. The Hulk is a hero and an Avenger in the MCU now. With public opinion and political pressure from SHIELD on his side, the Hulk is now untouchable. That is sure to royally piss Ross off, and could lead him to Mr. Blue for the means to hunt the Hulk down on his own. The Leader & Red Hulk vs Hulk would make for a hell of a film.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Red Hulk sucks from every possible angle and should never be allowed on screen. He should be given a Sentry-like send off and never be heard from again.

Let's count the ways he sucks, shall we?

- Lame palette swap? Check
- Silly power set? "I have the power to have lots and lots of powers!" Check.
- Mary Sue feats? "I can hit Thor with his own hammer! Also, I can totally just get rid of the TO virus cause I'm hot."
- Stupid alter ego? Thunderbolt Ross was the big reveal? Color everybody non-shocked.

Red Hulk belongs next to Adam X, Penance v.2 and Stacy X in the Hall of Super Lame Marvel characters who should never, ever, ever, be allowed to be represented in anything that isn't outright mockery.

LiK

Red Hulk sucks from every possible angle and should never be allowed on screen. He should be given a Sentry-like send off and never be heard from again.

- Mary Sue feats? "I can hit Thor with his own hammer! Also, I can totally just get rid of the TO virus cause I'm hot."
- Stupid alter ego? Thunderbolt Ross was the big reveal? Color everybody non-shocked.

Red Hulk belongs next to Adam X, Penance v.2 and Stacy X in the Hall of Super Lame Marvel characters who should never, ever, ever, be allowed to be represented in anything that isn't outright mockery.

i agree and toss in Red Shulkie as well

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can see Runaways working tremendously in the MCU, specifically playing off of the events of Avengers. It could almost be like an Avengers 1.5 in the public's eyes, if they did it right.

I honestly can't se Guardians looking good or appealing on the big screen, but it can't be denied that it could serve as a really excellent Thanos backstory thread leading up to Avengers 2.

Inhumans seems irrelevant to everything, tbh, so I doubt we'll see that for a while. However, it would give Marvel their 'X-Men' equivalent in the MCU, but it's not like they need that right now anyway.

Inhumans is kind of the odd one out. Actually kind of surprising they have those rights as they always seemed to be most connected to the Fantastic Four. Runaways would be awesome and an Annihilation type storyline could work well for Guardians.

Snaku

Banned

Agreed, but that doesn't mean he would be a terrible character in the MCU. The audience doesn't know who the shit the Wrecking Crew are, and have zero investment in them. You'd have to spend half the movie introducing them, making them a credible threat ( against Hulk lol), and making them something more than boring sluggers like Abomination. The audience already has an established investment in both Thunderbolt Ross (two unrelated films) and the Leader (a main character heavily hinted at being the next threat). Both are credible threats to the Hulk in their own way, they have different strengths they could play off each other, and it would take very little set up to get to the Hulk Smash™ which is honestly what everyone really wants to see but has been sorely lacking in the last two solo films.

This notion that a crappy comic villain would make for a crappy film villain is preposterous. It just depends on how the writer, director, and actor handle & portray him.

WanderingWind

Agreed, but that doesn't mean he would be a terrible character in the MCU. The audience doesn't know who the shit the Wrecking Crew are, and have zero investment in them. You'd have to spend half the movie introducing them, making them a credible threat ( against Hulk lol), and make them something more than a slugger like Abomination. The audience already has an established investment in both Thunderbolt Ross (two unrelated films) and the Leader (a main character heavily hinted at being the next threat). Both are credible threats to the Hulk in their own way, they have different strengths they could play off each other, and it would take very little set up to get to the Hulk Smash™.

This notion that a crappy comic villain would make for a crappy film villain is preposterous. It just depends on how the writer, director, and actor handle & portray him.

Sure, but then you'd still have to change his looks, because even the casual audience would think a palette swap Hulk is lame. And any villain would have to developed in the movie anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I think a Black Panther movie would work very well and very easily. They just need to make Wakanda a tiny region that is not recognized by other countries as a separate entity. It could probably reside somewhere in Congo or Uganda in the deep jungle. Have Klaw be the main antagonist for the film as a representative of the first world that exploits the third world for their minerals. It could have a theme similar to that of Blood Diamond, but with a more idealistic approach that has a representative of the exploited nation fight back and win. They could even drop in hints about Vibranium being linked to Captain America's shield. As a post-credits scene, they could show Banner going back to helping impoverished areas... this time in Wakanda.

Not a fan of her short hair. :\ Just doesn't work for Ms. Marvel, the long hair is too iconic imo. Her suit has a Wonder Woman vibe going on, though.

I'm used to the lightning bolt costume, personally, so anything else looks odd, but the bottom line for me is long hair- that's what Danvers has, it's like taking away Stark's goatee or giving Peter Parker a creepy Michael Cera 'stache- and the mask.

Her red costume is probably the best, though.

MsMarvelEMH.png

I guess the new one can be explained away given she's calling herself Captain Marvel now.

WanderingWind

Not a fan of her short hair. :\ Just doesn't work for Ms. Marvel, the long hair is too iconic imo. Her suit has a Wonder Woman vibe going on, though.

I LOVE the short hair! Too many super heroines look like they just came from Glamour magazine with perfect flowing curls. A high profile female character with short hair is super cool!

That Spider-Girl (Spider-Woman? I dunno) picture is something :lol

Wasp, Scarlet Witch, She Hulk are my big bets. The easiest to integrate into the movie.

Just IMO.

Eh... with Wasp, Pym needs to be set up. Scarlet Witch requires new origins, and given her power basically amounts to magic that'd be a hard sell without her own film or something. She-Hulk would be super fucking weird.

Ms Marvel, meanwhile, could be a SHIELD agent in Cap 2 who gets her powers at the end.

Scarlet Witch is a mutant and has more ties to X-Men than Avengers. I doubt Fox would allow that.

I absolutely hate Wasp. The cartoon ruined her for me. She Hulk is cool but isn't she really just Hulk with boobs and a vagina? Its sort of a been there done that thing.

WanderingWind

That Spider-Girl (Spider-Woman? I dunno) picture is something :lol

Eh... with Wasp, Pym needs to be set up. Scarlet Witch requires new origins, and given her power basically amounts to magic that'd be a hard sell without her own film or something. She-Hulk would be super fucking weird.

Ms Marvel, meanwhile, could be a SHIELD agent in Cap 2 who gets her powers at the end.

Heck yeah. A female SHIELD agent who is being subjected to the super serum project. Cue some exposure to the Tesseract's energy or some such mystical McGuffin and BAMMO.

Ms Marvel kicking ass and taking names.

Hex

Banned

The Hulk is not nearly as interesting by himself.
Sorry, it is true.
His character gets tedious without others to play off of.
It is possible, but I do not think it would be fast tracked.

Top Bottom