• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

The next Marvel film should have everyone talking in the most expositionary dialogue ever, like in the 60s. "HEY THERE'S THE MANDARIN, THE EVIL CHINESE VILLAIN! I MUST STOP HIM OTHERWISE ALL THESE PEOPLE WILL BE HURT- GOOD THING I HAVE THE MIGHTY IRON MAN ARMOUR, WITH REPULSOR TECHNOLOGY THAT I, TONY STARK, BUILT MYSELF TO FIGHT EVIL!"

Asbel

The next Marvel film should have everyone talking in the most expositionary dialogue ever, like in the 60s. "HEY THERE'S THE MANDARIN, THE EVIL CHINESE VILLAIN! I MUST STOP HIM OTHERWISE ALL THESE PEOPLE WILL BE HURT- GOOD THING I HAVE THE MIGHTY IRON MAN ARMOUR, WITH REPULSOR TECHNOLOGY THAT I, TONY STARK, BUILT MYSELF TO FIGHT EVIL!"

It was pretty dumb how someone like the Mandarin would speak broken engrish to another chinese person. As if Americans would speak broken mandarin to another american.

I see Wasp taking more of the Ultimate look so yeah Asian but with 616 personality and Wasp with a little of Ultimate.

I also want to see Tony flirt with her only for Hank to grow big and threaten to squash him like a bug.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Add some "THANKFULLY I'M NOT NEAR A BAR, BECAUSE I MAY BE TEMPTED TO DRINK, EVEN THOUGH ALCOHOLISM HAS CAUSED MAJOR RIFTS BETWEEN ME AND EVERYBODY I EVER LOVED INCLUDING MY FATHER." and you have the 90s too!

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Random thought: I wonder what ever happened to Blonsky. Is he just sitting in a cell somewhere? Even if he was, I imagine someone as dangerous as him could easily escape given a slight chance.

I'd like to see him make an appearance in one of the upcoming Marvel movies. Perhaps as a foil for Banner in the next Avengers.

Random thought: I wonder what ever happened to Blonsky. Is he just sitting in a cell somewhere? Even if he was, I imagine someone as dangerous as him could easily escape given a slight chance.

I'd like to see him make an appearance in one of the upcoming Marvel movies. Perhaps as a foil for Banner in the next Avengers.

Yeah, he's in S.H.I.E.L.D. jail, with Sterns.

Dram

Well after Thanos, the third Avenger movie could feature the Masters of Evil for enemies. You'd have Red Skull and Blonsky team up with what ever other bad guys show up in the movies.

I absolutely hate Wasp. The cartoon ruined her for me. She Hulk is cool but isn't she really just Hulk with boobs and a vagina? Its sort of a been there done that thing.
She-Hulk is unique for her personality, though. She's an amazingly fun character, but one I'm afraid only works well in comic. The best bet for a new team member is Wasp, since she can very easily be introduced in Ant-Man. Outside of that, and unless they have planned to give a superheroine a solo movie (and I really doubt it), I could only see Ms. Marvel getting some time in Captain America 2.

I asked this in the Iron Man thread, but why didnt Shield recruit War Machine over Stark? Stark was ineligible because he was all self centered and stuff, but War Machine is a disciplined soldier witht he same (or at least similar) suit of armor, so why not choose him? Or both?
Cap was chosen because he had experience with the Cosmic Cube. Thor was there because he's Loki's brother. Hulk was there because Banner is an expert in gamma radiation. And Iron Man is there because he's an expert in renewable energy sources. You have to understand that the Avengers themselves aren't created till the later half of the movie, and they had no intention to do so until The Son of Coul died.

By the time they form the Avengers, they simply go stop Loki. No time to call War Machine. I'm sure now that the team does exist, they'll give him a call for Avengers 2. Especially since he is showing up in Iron Man 3.

Well after Thanos, the third Avenger movie could feature the Masters of Evil for enemies. You'd have Red Skull and Blonsky team up with what ever other bad guys show up in the movies.
Masters of Evil would work well as a second movie, they'd really be underwhelming after Thanos. Building up the big Cosmic bad guy for some more, while giving the heroes a team of supervillains to face (something we really haven't seen on film either, outside of the Brotherhood of Mutants) seems more suited for the second movie.

You have Abomination and the Leader, Red Skull is still missing, and I'd say we have good shots at both Enchantress and Baron Zemo in Thor 2 and Captain America 2, not to mention Mandarin and whoever the villains are for the other two movies before Avengers 2 (one of which is probably Ultron for Ant-Man).

Dram

Wouldn't people get upset that Marvel teased Thanos for a sequel and then pulled a bait and switch and put the Masters of Evil instead? I'm not sure people would like the idea of Thanos showing up seven or eight years down the line.

Wouldn't people get upset that Marvel teased Thanos for a sequel and then pulled a bait and switch and put the Masters of Evil instead? I'm not sure people would like the idea of Thanos showing up seven or eight years down the line.

It's simply due to scale. Going from Loki and Chitauri to Thanos is a damn impressive jump and one they can't top to Avengers 3 (unless Thanos is beaten in 2, and back with the Infinity Gauntlet in 3). Given that Whedon has talked about how he'd like a more personal story for Avengers 2 (and he has directly mentioned how he'd think Civil War would be an interesting concept in a movie), I'm willing to bet they'll save their big villain for last. And if Thanos is indeed in Avengers 2, then I'd say they'll do something different from Avengers 3 rather than just trying to get a bigger threat, so I would't expect the Masters of Evil.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I see Wasp taking more of the Ultimate look so yeah Asian but with 616 personality and Wasp with a little of Ultimate.

I also want to see Tony flirt with her only for Hank to grow big and threaten to squash him like a bug.

Since Edgar Wright is directing the Ant Man film, he could have the actress who played Knives in Scott Pilgrim play Wasp.
285617-scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world54_super.jpg

duckroll

I think it would depend on how they do it. If after the tease Thanos no longer shows up in any future movie for 8 years, yes I think fans would be annoyed. On the other hand, if Thanos plays a bigger role in Avengers 2, but they don't actually get to fight and defeat him yet, I think most people would be okay with that. Kinda like how the Emperor was used in Empire Strikes Back.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Speaking of which:

2ssLs.jpg

Is this an actual quote or is this someone else on the internet who doesn't understand that this is actually how new elements are created?

I was actually always pretty fine with the whole "new element" angle, the way I figure it his father was able to mathematically predict that there would be perhaps a single stable atomic configuration at atomic number, oh, I dunno, 120 or 130, that he just wasn't able to create at the time. The particle accelerator in the basement though? Yeaaaaaah....

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Is this an actual quote or is this someone else on the internet who doesn't understand that this is actually how new elements are created?

I was actually always pretty fine with the whole "new element" angle, the way I figure it his father was able to mathematically predict that there would be perhaps a single stable atomic configuration at atomic number, oh, I dunno, 120 or 130, that he just wasn't able to create at the time. The particle accelerator in the basement though? Yeaaaaaah....

I'm pretty sure it's from the IM2 audio commentary.

Riposte

Here is how I would do it: (Fan fiction mode... on)

Starting with the upcoming solo films and concluding with the 2nd The Avengers film, the team's stature is slowly picked away and people lose confidence with the individuals. During these films the Infinity Gems are slowly introduced (e.g. only "Mind" shows up in Iron Man 3), building up to Thanos.

Hank Pym is introduced and along with him Ultron v0.5 in the 2nd film. Make him extremely jealous and paranoid, but just drop the wife beating part. By the end of the film Iron Man loses access to his suits. Captain America loses his shield.

S.H.I.E.L.D. movie which features a new protagonist who seems likeable enough. During the film Fury is displaced (maybe framed so he becomes an outlaw) and Maria Hill takes over. With Fury gone, SHIELD is unable to prevent the disbanding of the Avengers. At the very end of the movie the protagonist we've grown to like and find relatable, reveals himself to the audience to be an agent of Hydra under the name of "Zemo".

Rather than go into "The Avengers 3", the next Avengers film would be something along the lines of "Dark Avengers" (an adaptation of that series, more or less). Zemo goes full Iron Patriot mode and remakes the Avengers, using Tony's suits and Steve's shield, and also Hank's Ultron (which slowly makes more and more of the decisions for Zemo). From here you have some fun like they did with Dark Reign. Don't want to make a PG-13 The Punisher film? Make him the "Black Widow" of the Dark Avengers. That would garner some interest. Bullseye as Hawkeye. Etc. Have this highly dysfunctional (e.g. Frank and Bullseye trying to kill each other while on the same side) team legitimately save the world from some new threat.

THEN you have The Avengers 3, where Nick Fury resurfaces to stop Zemo's Ultron (who's really running the show at this point) from taking over the world and whatnot. Avenger vs Avenger action (without the mess that is Civil War) means a lot of hype. I'd prefer it if Ultron had a creepy father issues with Pym.

The team needs another blaster.

104788-143876-photon_super.jpg

QoqfQ.jpg

Make it happen, Joss.

I don't know much about Cap-Marvel but which one would it be if she were to get into A2? Like, are they going by a timeline?

The first one can do cool light/ energy stuff and the second can do ... other energy stuff?

Anyway, I think the "new female" to the team will be either one of the Cap-Marvels or Stature. I think they're gonna need more tank like characters and air support if they make things any bigger.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't know much about Cap-Marvel but which one would it be if she were to get into A2? Like, are they going by a timeline?

The first one can do cool light/ energy stuff and the second can do ... other energy stuff?

Anyway, I think the "new female" to the team will be either one of the Cap-Marvels or Stature. I think they're gonna need more tank like characters and air support if they make things any bigger.

We cant really get a Ms Marvel without first having Captain Marvel....so im guessing if they were going to introduce Carol they would give her and/or Captain Marvel their own movie first....cuz explaining how Carol got her powers is alot harder than any of the other avengers.

Id think it would be easier to bring Hank Pym and Jane Van Dyne into the mix and blame all their awesomeness on Pym Particles.

Carol is a hard sell.

P.S If Carol is ever introduced this is the costume she should wear....fuck the lighting bolt and fuck her new Captain Marvel suit(till ive seen more of it)

PIDWt.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really hope all this 1960's Hank Pym nonsense Edgar wanted to do has been vetoed by now. It takes waaaaaay too much stuff off the table with regards to the modern day Avengers. Not just Giant-Man and Wasp, but also Ultron, Vision, etc.

boi

Neo Member
Are they (Marvel) even recognizing The Incredible Hulk as canon anymore? The Avengers had a different character playing Banner, the Hulk looks different, they make no mention of Betty or General Ross and what happened with Banner after the end scene of TIH.

Sad to see the film being treated that way. I thought TIH was a great movie (I have only seen half of Ang Lee's Hulk and then turned it off, didn't like it. Then again I saw it only two years ago so it may have aged or something). The build-up of TIH was so cool. When they only show the silhouette of the Hulk in the engine house when he beats up those Brazil thugs and then the culver-university fighting scene were he goes completely nuts. I have never seen such an intense fighting scene in any film.

Not to mention the beautiful soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCpBIK9Wvk

noah111

Still Alive
I don't see why they would need to have any mention of Ross (both of them) when the first movie ended with him all alone and isolated from the world. That didn't change in Avengers, he was alone in India.. Maybe in A2 or a Hulk movie if it happens, they should definitely mention it, but if Thor's big love interest only gets a millisecond of screen time (through a fucking image on a monitor) then you can't be surprised if Betty gets shunned.

duckroll

There are references to Incredible Hulk in Avengers. The recorded footage of Hulk on the monitors is also from the movie. It is canon.

I don't see why they would need to have any mention of Ross (both of them) when the first movie ended with him all alone and isolated from the world. That didn't change in Avengers, he was alone in India.. Maybe in A2 or a Hulk movie if it happens, they should definitely mention it, but if Thor's big love interest only gets a millisecond of screen time (through a fucking image on a monitor) then you can't be surprised if Betty gets shunned.
Really don't wanna see Liv Tyler pop up again.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No love for Nova?

:(

It's difficult. If they do a Guardians movie I think he should definitely be in it, but then I wonder how if they would have enough time to fit in his Annihilation origin. Ideally I'd like them to just roll with that to introduce him rather than do the Green Lantern copy paste.

Blader

Me. I'm right. They're said, The World's End, targeting Spring 2013. Script is complete. Synopsis is out. Movie is shooting this year.

The interviewer asks him about Ant-Man, Wright says that things are motion and he "dearly hopes" to start shooting this year. Where are you getting The World's End out of that?

noah111

Still Alive
I don't know man, 2012 shooting for a movie that'll probably come out in late 2014 seems unlikely. :p

Things certainly are in motion, though! I wonder if it's still the old script of Pym only in the 60s. I think i'd be disappointed if that ended up being the case, tbh..

The interviewer asks him about Ant-Man, Wright says that things are motion and he "dearly hopes" to start shooting this year. Where are you getting The World's End out of that?

Why would he hope for something that's impossible. He's already booked for this year, Marvel are busy too. It doesn't matter what it sounded like, because there's facts that show he wasn't talking about Ant-Man.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pym for current day. Dont fuck this up and have shit like Ultron and Vision off the table for one films silly quirk.

Janet and Hank are such lynch pin Avengers it feels painful theyre possibly gonna be written out of the team.

Top Bottom