• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Beta Ray Bill hate makes me confused.

I love Beta Ray Bill, but after watching him in Earth's Mightiest Heroes I realize that he's far too ridiculous to go into a movie.

He's a space horse, his name is Beta Ray Bill, and his spaceship is called Scuttlebutt. Unless they change those to something you can take seriously, it's not gonna work.

I love Beta Ray Bill, but after watching him in Earth's Mightiest Heroes I realize that he's far too ridiculous to go into a movie.

He's a space horse, his name is Beta Ray Bill, and his spaceship is called Scuttlebutt. Unless they change those to something you can take seriously, it's not gonna work.

1) There's ways to make him way more alien whilst still being recognisable. Get del Toro to work on his design.

2) True, that name sucks. They could just call him "the Korbonite".

3) Just don't name his ship.

Hawkeye isn't cheesy? Captain America isn't cheesy? IRON MAN isn't cheesy? They're all cheesy as fuck, but they handle them in a way where you get used to it.
Yeah, they call Hawkeye "Agent Barton" 98% of the time, Captain America was shown as being cheesy in his own movie on purpose and remains a cheesy relic in the present day (he is also almost always referred to as "Captain" in the film), Iron Man is called "Stark" or "Tony" and when they're talking about the suit it's referred to as "The Iron Man Suit".

Just thought I'd clarify that they generally find ways around just having the characters use their goofy names.

Slayven

Rumor that a Ms. Marvel movie is being developed:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=60176

Doesn't seem very trustworthy though.

Too bad Marvel doesn't have the rights to Spidey

2181481-tumblr_l9achsMyJ21qbladco1_500.png

tumblr_l259tr4mY91qz5y5go1_500.jpg

Khezu

Dating spider-man is the most interesting thing to happen to Ms marvel in forever, shame it didn't last.

Pete needs to seriously stick to super powered girl friends.

noah111

Still Alive
The name is not a problem, they could call her Ms. Danvers or Carol. But the costume is pretty ridiculous.
Hawkeye's is about a million times more ridiculous and they seemed to deal with it ok. The on-screen carnation would probably end up not even resembling Ms. Marvel's original costume.

Probably some cues like the scarf or little logo, but not the whole workout tights look.

Hawkeye's is about a million times more ridiculous and they seemed to deal with it ok. The on-screen carnation would probably end up not even resembling Ms. Marvel's original costume.

Probably some cues like the scarf or little logo, but not the whole workout tights look.

That'd only work if Ms. Marvel is a secondary Avenger like Hawkeye or Black Widow, not if they give her her own movie like that rumor implied. Granted, just change the tights for pants or make it a whole bodysuit and it'd be better, but probably not unique enough.

I swear I thought you lost your Junior status.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Would Ms Marvel be tied up because Carol Danvers appeared in the second Fantastic Four movie?

She was in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer? That's news to me.

And wouldn't Marvel have to introduce Captain Marvel if they're gonna do a Ms. Marvel movie?

She was in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer? That's news to me.

And wouldn't Marvel have to introduce Captain Marvel if they're gonna do a Ms. Marvel movie?
They could change the origin, but now that the Chitauri are introduced, I don't think including another alien race is too hard.

The Sentry does not age.

perma

Yeah, yeah, I know, but I thought he had been un-perma'd. Somehow.

What are you talking about? They just used Hawkeye's ultimate costume.

noah111

Still Alive
That'd only work if Ms. Marvel is a secondary Avenger like Hawkeye or Black Widow, not if they give her her own movie like that rumor implied. Granted, just change the tights for pants or make it a whole bodysuit and it'd be better, but probably not unique enough.

I swear I thought you lost your Junior status.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. She definitely wouldn't be a secondary character either, I don't think. I think they would go the whole 'norma' looking hero route with her. We don't have anyone really like that, just wearing jeans and a blouse while flying being a hero. The scarf and whatnot could be her sort of style. That could be how she's introduced, anyway, as looking normal but being super-powered. It would be a first in the MCU at least.

What are you talking about? They just used Hawkeye's ultimate costume.
I know, like I said 'they dealt with it ok'. Hawkeye is known for his 616 suit, though.

noah111

Still Alive
Yup, they would probably go with something more along those lines. Looks too Wonder Woman-esq in the comics, though. But considering we've yet to see WW on the big screen it wouldn't be an issue.

It would such if her hair was short in the movie though. Doubt that would ever happen, since she's iconic for it.

Come to think of it, new Ms. Marvel looks a lot like Maria Hill from the 616 and Ult. universes combined. She's not as 'thick' anymore either.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
What's the stance on Apocalypse in terms of his power level? Also, canonically, what are his powers? I've always seen them as limitless, but I haven't read the new stuff to know what the writers have done with him as of late. I know he hasn't aged that well in terms of popularity and storylines in the new millennium.

In terms of threat level, where does he stand along the lines of Doom, Loki, Thanos, and the rest of the big baddies in the Marvel Universe.

sharbhund

What's the stance on Apocalypse in terms of his power level? Also, canonically, what are his powers? I've always seen them as limitless, but I haven't read the new stuff to know what the writers have done with him as of late. I know he hasn't aged that well in terms of popularity and storylines in the new millennium.

In terms of threat level, where does he stand along the lines of Doom, Loki, Thanos, and the rest of the big baddies in the Marvel Universe.

Because power grids are fun:

Apocalypse
g7rxM.jpg

Dr. Doom
USNeA.jpg

Galactus
2qfAQ.jpg

Loki
SKja0.jpg

Thanos
Og93F.jpg

Slayven

Apocalypse is a bitch. His original powers was super strength and shape shifting but he jacked himself with Celestial tech.

Apocalypse mutant powers were shapeshifting, regeneration and super strength. He then jacked himself up with Celestial tech improving those said abilities and giving him whatever ones he wanted. Him and Sinister are both no joke.

Weaklings without science but with it, crazy ass strong.

They changed her name to Captain Marvel. Here's her new costume

The more I think about it the more I wish they would use the Monica Rambeau "Cap Marvel" for the movies. She has a much more interesting power-set and she's pretty much the only reason I want to read NextWave. But that aint gonna happen, any major member on the team is gonna need a movie behind them and they aint giving her a movie.

These "Cap Marvel" characters are annoying ... they go through names like shocks :/
Carol has Binary/ Warbird/ Ms. Marvel ... Monica has Monica Marvel/ Pulsar/ Daystar ... hard to keep track of that as a non-reader.

Chris Hemsworth (Thor) seems confident that Thanos will not be the villain in Thor 2 like some speculated earlier in this thread:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Thanos-Probably-Villain-Thor-2-Says-Chris-Hemsworth-31091.html

He apparently hasn't read the script yet though so I am not sure why he is so confident. I guess this is almost non-news but worth mentioning anyways.

YES!

Fighting him so soon didn't make much sense, they need to use the standalone movies to introduce the MoE and have them band together to challenge the the avengers in TA2.

Perhaps working for Thanos.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ms. Marvel in Avengers 2 would be great. Think of all the chemestry on the air with Tony Stark!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Apocalypse is a bitch. His original powers was super strength and shape shifting but he jacked himself with Celestial tech.

Not a fan of Apoc? If not, how come? Also, read that the Celestial tech opened him to evolve and awaken more with his mutant powers. He also had immortality from the beginning, too, from what I read. Plus, he has genius-level intellect.

Not a fan of Apoc? If not, how come? Also, read that the Celestial tech opened him to evolve and awaken more with his mutant powers. He also had immortality from the beginning, too, from what I read. Plus, he has genius-level intellect.
He's a great villain in theory, never in practice. His best portrayal is probably the animated series.

And silly Hemsworth, there's no bigger fish. What you need is a smaller one.

He's a great villain in theory, never in practice. His best portrayal is probably the animated series.

And silly Hemsworth, there's no bigger fish. What you need is a smaller one.

How do you build a climax with a villain Thor could backhand into a coma? Or Hulk could take out with a gentle nudge? Avengers has to deal with the big fish otherwise it wont work. And I don't think they're going to give the Avengers disposable cyborgs to smash in the third act of every movie. I mean, I hope they get to wreck havok but the climax shouldn't focus on another battle like we got in this movie.

Is Thor 2 too early for Ragnarok? I just finished reading the Ones Who Sit In Shadow story and Thor in that is fucking bad-ass with his runes and shit.

How do you build a climax with a villain Thor could backhand into a coma? Or Hulk could take out with a gentle nudge? Avengers has to deal with the big fish otherwise it wont work. And I don't think they're going to give the Avengers disposable cyborgs to smash in the third act of every movie. I mean, I hope they get to wreck havok but the climax shouldn't focus on another battle like we got in this movie.
Ultron is more than capable of challenging all of them. Or the Masters of Evil. Or Kang. Or an internal battle.

If you use Thanos there's nowhere to go but down. You'd assume their biggest villain will be in the third movie.

Is Thor 2 too early for Ragnarok? I just finished reading the Ones Who Sit In Shadow story and Thor in that is fucking bad-ass with his runes and shit.

In my mind, Thor 2 is Enchantress and Loki, and Thor 3 is when Ragnarok comes and Thor and Loki team up.

Maybe The Serpent could serve as a villain somewhere. Obviously Fear Itself wouldn't adapt well, but "Odin's evil brother who's the god of fear" has potential as a villain.

In my mind, Thor 2 is Enchantress and Loki, and Thor 3 is when Ragnarok comes and Thor and Loki team up.

Maybe The Serpent could serve as a villain somewhere. Obviously Fear Itself wouldn't adapt well, but "Odin's evil brother who's the god of fear" has potential as a villain.

Enchantress seems likely. I still want BRB. :(

noah111

Still Alive
Ultron is more than capable of challenging all of them. Or the Masters of Evil. Or Kang. Or an internal battle.

If you use Thanos there's nowhere to go but down. You'd assume their biggest villain will be in the third movie.
Yeah, i'm hoping since we know we'll be getting a Pym movie in 2014, more or less right before Avengers 2, that Ultron will be set up as the villain there. Maybe even a little Vision introduction in A2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dating spider-man is the most interesting thing to happen to Ms marvel in forever, shame it didn't last.
Pete needs to seriously stick to super powered girl friends.

What no way, Ms. Marvel during Secret Invasion was amazing, and her battles made me appreciate her even more.
War of the Marvels was damn interesting....the writing might not have been perfect but the i couldnt help buying all the Ms. Marvel books during that arc.

P.S Im glad the relationship ended, it wasnt going anywhere.

The name is not a problem, they could call her Ms. Danvers or Carol. But the costume is pretty ridiculous.
If they use her classic costume with minor tweaks(like leggings or something) i think they could get away with it, the fact that none of the other superheros are wearing spandex these days makes selling the idea of a superhero wearing such a suit in public much much harder.

Would Ms Marvel be tied up because Carol Danvers appeared in the second Fantastic Four movie?
Carol wasnt in Fantastic Four.....i believe you are thinking of Frankie Raye.

Top Bottom