• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Dram

So Iron Man 3 will have four villains. Mandarin in the background, providing Aldrich Killian with resources for his experiments, which result in Firepower and Coldblood.

duckroll

You say that like it's a good thing.

Anyways, I'm sure Shane Black is doing his thing; if he's not and the movie ends up suffering because of Marvel's stringent by-the-numbers design by committee garbage I'll be shouting it over a megaphone.

I'm just saying it! Whether it's a good thing or not depends entirely on the context. :)

Slayven

Who has been a longer active member of the Avengers, Hulk or Spider Man?
Spiderman, the Avengers stripped Hulk of founder status and gave it to Cap. Hulk has spent more issues fighting an Avengers team then being a member.

Hulk has clocked more time on the defenders due to the curse that compels him, Silver Surfer, Namor, and Strange to save the world.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm really down on the whole Iron Patriot thing. Seems like this movie will be cramming way too much into one, especially by merging unrelated comic story arches and characters.

I'm sure it'll end up being fine, but am I the only one who's but hurt about an Iron Patriot without the whole Norman Osborn side of it? Just makes it feel so wrong. I don't know. :\

Isak_Borg

Didn't feige also say rdj is replaceable. Shudder

They're going to have to replace him at some point. He's going to be 50 by the time avengers 2 starts shooting and he's looking a little rough around the edges. I wish Downey could pull off the role forever but at some point you have to replace him with someone else.

I'm hoping will smith can take over the iron man role maybe Chris tucker can come out of retirement for the part ;).

noah111

Still Alive
I hope they go the Tron route and keep him looking young forever through cgi. By that time it'll have gotten 'easier', right?
one can dream, :lol

They're going to have to replace him at some point. He's going to be 50 by the time avengers 2 starts shooting and he's looking a little rough around the edges. I wish Downey could pull off the role forever but at some point you have to replace him with someone else.

I'm hoping will smith can take over the iron man role maybe Chris tucker can come out of retirement for the part ;).

0092_7m21.gif

Vega

One thing going for RDJ is that these movies allow him to do very little stunt work. Most of Iron Man is all cgi anyways. I think Downey will be around for Iron Man 4 and Avengers 2 at the very least.

mjc

Yeah there isn't much actual stunt work involved for Iron Man in a human sense, especially compared to what Hemsworth and Evans will have to keep up for their roles. (They're way younger, but you get the idea)

FStop7

Banned
So Iron Man 3 will have four villains. Mandarin in the background, providing Aldrich Killian with resources for his experiments, which result in Firepower and Coldblood.

Smells like a trainwreck in the making, same as Spider-Man 3.

They're going to have to replace him eventually if his salary keeps inflating.

Avengers 2? RDJ needs to be there for Avengers 3! Which would hit in... 2018-20? I'm sure he'll be more than capable by then.

Johnny Depp is nearing 50 and is still happy to play Cpt. Sparrow for another 2 movies. I imagine that's a much more physically intensive role.

Blader

People who think Spider-Man 3's issue was that it had too many villains are completely missing the point on what went wrong.

SM3's problem wasn't that it had multiple villains, but that it had multiple villains where each had his own separate storyline; then the writers had to contrive a way to have all of these separate plots smashed together for the end. Nolan's Batman movies have multiple villains too, but it works there because the villains' stories all dovetail in and out of each other; Ra's and Scarecrow's stories are tied together, Joker and Dent's stories are tied together, etc.

Iron Man 3 has a lot of villains in it, but it's not like they're all main characters. Sounds like Guy Pearce is the primary antagonist, Mandarin is more in the background, with Iron Patriot and the others being just grunts.

Vega

I don't think Disney is gonna let RDJ walk so easily. They know he's the bread and butter of these Marvel movies. They are gonna be prepared to pay up.

On a separate note, I hope they get Dr. Strange in production fairly soon. I'd like to see the
MCU expand outside of The Avengers.

Avengers 2? RDJ needs to be there for Avengers 3! Which would hit in... 2018-20? I'm sure he'll be more than capable by then.

Johnny Depp is nearing 50 and is still happy to play Cpt. Sparrow for another 2 movies. I imagine that's a much more physically intensive role.

RDJr could be totally Christopher Leeing his movies because Iron Man is in a suit and usually CG. So the physicality can be done without actually having RDJr doing it.

shira

People who think Spider-Man 3's issue was that it had too many villains are completely missing the point on what went wrong.

SM3's problem wasn't that it had multiple villains, but that it had multiple villains where each had his own separate storyline; then the writers had to contrive a way to have all of these separate plots smashed together for the end. Nolan's Batman movies have multiple villains too, but it works there because the villains' stories all dovetail in and out of each other; Ra's and Scarecrow's stories are tied together, Joker and Dent's stories are tied together, etc.

Iron Man 3 has a lot of villains in it, but it's not like they're all main characters. Sounds like Guy Pearce is the primary antagonist, Mandarin is more in the background, with Iron Patriot and the others being just grunts.
I would need to see iron man uppercut patriot so hard the suit undoes itself and then cap jumps into the space and it reforms around him

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hope they don't overdo it on the villain part and they mesh well. I'm one of the few people that didn't hate Spider-Man 3, but must agree the villains ended up being unfocused.
My thoughts exactly.

Not a fan of the Iron Patriot movie helmet though.

Trigger

Couldn't RDJ just die his hair black? Maybe it's me, but I've never really pictured Tony Stark as a young looking guy. RDJ could pull it of for quite awhile as long as he stayed in good shape.

Hex

Banned
They will just put another actor in it's place not even reboot it.

Thank god.
Kind of sick of origin stories, though Iron Man's in the first movie was well done and did not have the whole kid doing flips and running around rooftops and taming bullies that all of the others always have.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Real Talk: When RDJ steps down they'll probably just do the same as Spidey and reboot the series.

They can't really do this with the interconnected universe they've built, nor should they. With Spider-Man it works because it's a separate entity and even then lots of people don't like them rebooting the franchise but it'll probably still do well.

Trigger

They can't really do this with the interconnected universe they've built, nor should they. With Spider-Man it works because it's a separate entity and even then lots of people don't like them rebooting the franchise but it'll probably still do well.

I forgot about this (despite posting in a thread about said shared universe). I wonder if this create problems though. Marvel and DC routinely reboot and relaunch their comic series to invite more fans who may be wary of engaging in a series that's mired in tons of continuity. It will be interesting to see if this applies to the movies as well.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I forgot about this (despite posting in a thread about said shared universe). I wonder if this create problems though. Marvel and DC routinely reboot and relaunch their comic series to invite more fans who may be wary of engaging in a series that's mired in tons of continuity. It will be interesting to see if this applies to the movies as well.

It worked with Hulk. I know it is not considered the same but it still counts. Only way to reboot Iron Man is to reboot the rest of them. Will be odd seeing a new rebooted Tony Stark in Avengers 3 though.

shira

It's fine unless they have a baby or something. Different dad or mom might seem odd if the other parent remains

not true. DC has rebooted their line several times- once VERY recently- but Marvel never has.

All of the Avengers/Xmen/Fantastic Four/Hulk etc comics for instance are canon going back to the 1960s. Even with Spider-man and "brand new day" specific events were written out of continuity, but spidey's origin and comics all the way up to his marriage in the 80s are still the same.

There ARE alternate lines (like the ultimate universe, or 2099 back in the day) but those are separate and distinct from the "main" marvel universe and not reboots.

not true. DC has rebooted their line several times- once VERY recently- but Marvel never has.

All of the Avengers/Xmen/Fantastic Four/Hulk etc comics for instance are canon going back to the 1960s. Even with Spider-man and "brand new day" specific events were written out of continuity, but spidey's origin and comics all the way up to his marriage in the 80s are still the same.

There ARE alternate lines (like the ultimate universe, or 2099 back in the day) but those are separate and distinct from the "main" marvel universe.

What exactly is retconning then? It's essentially a mini reboot to get things right. The most recent example being Spidey's Brand New Day.

What exactly is retconning then? It's essentially a mini reboot to get things right. The most recent example being Spidey's Brand New Day.

no, Spidey's "brand new day" was one character altering a specific event in the current timeline, changing the future. it DIDN'T change any of the events in comics prior to that (the wedding) and didn't alter any of the significant events spiderman was involved in during that time (like say..maximum carnage). All of those events still happened. it's the same character.

These sort of things tend to happen when writers make a mess- they'll invent an alternate explanation for an event that's inconvenient to explain. Annoying, but fairly common. The "Thanos Clone" explanation for Thanos or "That was a doombot" for doom to explain embarrassing losses or inconsistent behavior is another example. Those are "retcons."

A Total Reboot in contrast re-writes the history of the ENTIRE line from scratch, starting over from square 1. All previous events are null and void, characters can have alternate origins or never exist at all- its essentially writing the whole slate clean and stating that every in-universe event prior to the reboot no longer counts. DC did this back in the 80s after the "crisis" (writing out entire alternate worlds from being valid) and again recently with New 52. The current superman running around is NOT the same guy who has been having adventures since the Crisis, and the superman running around prior to the 70s/80s was ALSO a totally different character from that one as well.

DC has done this a few times (which is part of the reason there are multiple flashes, green lanterns, and supermen) but Marvel has never done a complete line wide reboot in this way. Certain events may have alternate explanations, but nearly every event that's happened going back to Fantastic Four #1 still took place.

Trigger

There ARE alternate lines (like the ultimate universe, or 2099 back in the day) but those are separate and distinct from the "main" marvel universe and not reboots.

I'm only a casual comic fan, so I'll trust your knowledge on this. My greater point was pondering how continuity will be handled moving forward and whether it will ever pose a problem.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder how much that's going to cost... Blu-ray collection or no?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083SBMGW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Limited Edition collection includes:

• Marvel’s The Avengers (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
• Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
• Thor (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
• Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)
• The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
• Iron Man (Blu-ray)
• Bonus Disc - “The Phase One Archives” (Blu-ray)
• Collectible packaging with exclusive memorabilia from the Marvel Cinematic Universe

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I wonder how Disney was able to get the rights to make the boxset, considering Paramount and Universal owns the rights to the earlier MCU films. Or does Marvel/Disney now own them?

Top Bottom