• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

duckroll

From the Avengers thread:

JkbbV.jpg

I've been holding off on getting the other films on blu-ray because I suspected they will do this. I am so going to get that. OH BOY ! :D

I wonder how Disney was able to get the rights to make the boxset, considering Paramount and Universal owns the rights to the earlier MCU films. Or does Marvel/Disney now own them?

All Marvel Studios films are owned by Marvel. Paramount and Universal are just distributors. Paramount also distributed The Avengers.

noah111

Still Alive
You think Avengers or the MCU will ever go an X-Men Last Stand route and kill off a bunch of heroes? I'm talking way down the line, of course.

You think Avengers or the MCU will ever go an X-Men Last Stand route and kill off a bunch of heroes? I'm talking way down the line, of course.

If its Joss Whedon then definitely. He likes to kill off people that fans like and plays in contrast to audience expectations.

Dram

I could see them killing a lot of minor characters, but none of the main money earners. Though I could see them killing off Nick Fury and having Maria Hill taker over Shield.

KevinCow

Banned

I doubt it. They want this to be a long-term thing. If and when they kill off heroes, they're going to think about it really hard ahead of time, and I doubt they'll ever kill off a bunch at once.

X-Men Last Stand did it for shock value (or in the case of Cyclops, contractual bullshit) and didn't really consider the future implications of anything that they did. They depowered and killed so many characters that there wasn't really anywhere else to take the series, hence why they've done nothing but prequels since and will probably go for a full reboot before they do an actual X-Men 4.

If and when Marvel starts to kill off heroes, I hope they never fall into the crap comics have and start bringing characters back to life or retconning deaths, thus ruining any impact those character deaths would have. Instead of, "Oh shit he died!" it's, "Well is he really dead?" or, "Gee, I wonder how long until they bring him back to life."

Incidentally, X-Men Last Stand managed to also make the mistake of stupid retcons and ruining the concept of character death in the same movie, when Magneto seems to be getting his powers back at the end and Xavier somehow lives on in the post-credits scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if some characters die eventually, but they'll probably do unlike the comics and have planned how they'll bring them back.

For example, if they eventually do Thanos, I could see them killing a big bunch of heroes but restoring them to life at the end with the Infinity Gauntlet. I wouldn't be surprised if, rather than doing Edgar Wright's original idea of two Ant-Man, have Pym, kill him in an Avengers sequel, then have Scott Lang take his place.

If they kill somebody it ought to be because it serves the story and not just a cheap way to create shock or make the bad guy seem really powerful. This would only really work if you developed these characters over the course of the franchise where the death would mean something. Otherwise its on the level of fanfic.

Cartman86

Banned
I don't think we will know in any way what will happen with replacing RDJ until that day comes. The movies that come out right before he is replaced will decide it. They will help determine if they full on reboot (if the Marvel universe is in a dire place financially), replace the actor, or full on replace Tony Stark with a new character who just wears the suit.

I'm hoping before that day comes (and it will) we will get an aging Tony Stark on film.

I doubt it. They want this to be a long-term thing. If and when they kill off heroes, they're going to think about it really hard ahead of time, and I doubt they'll ever kill off a bunch at once.

X-Men Last Stand did it for shock value (or in the case of Cyclops, contractual bullshit) and didn't really consider the future implications of anything that they did. They depowered and killed so many characters that there wasn't really anywhere else to take the series, hence why they've done nothing but prequels since and will probably go for a full reboot before they do an actual X-Men 4.

If and when Marvel starts to kill off heroes, I hope they never fall into the crap comics have and start bringing characters back to life or retconning deaths, thus ruining any impact those character deaths would have. Instead of, "Oh shit he died!" it's, "Well is he really dead?" or, "Gee, I wonder how long until they bring him back to life."

Incidentally, X-Men Last Stand managed to also make the mistake of stupid retcons and ruining the concept of character death in the same movie, when Magneto seems to be getting his powers back at the end and Xavier somehow lives on in the post-credits scene.
fuck what they did to 'Psylocke'

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

noah111

Still Alive
Hmmm, then why did Feige say that two of the four movies (Ant-Man, Guardians, Inhumans, Runaways) would be talked about in the coming weeks, i.e. coming very soon?

I'd take Black Panther over Runaways/Guardians/Inhumans any day, though.

They must have FLOORED Feige with their pitch or something, what a left field choice that is.
Marvel's really not interested in any real creative direction (Joss Whedon, Shane Black and Edgar Wright/Joe Cornish are the exception), getting two small time directors like that basically means you can expect to be able to boss them around accordingly while they produce something totally by-the-numbers and generic.

Really not holding out hope for Thor 2 and Captain America 2 being anything beyond their predecessors. Ant-Man and IM3 should be great. Hopefully they put some good creative talent and vision behind Black Panther considering it's quite an unusual tale for a superhero movie.

Caboose

Marvel's really not interested in any real creative direction (Joss Whedon, Shane Black and Edgar Wright/Joe Cornish are the exception), getting two small time directors like that basically means you can expect to be able to boss them around accordingly while they produce something totally by-the-numbers and generic.

Really not holding out hope for Thor 2 and Captain America 2 being anything beyond their predecessors. Ant-Man and IM3 should be great. Hopefully they put some good creative talent and vision behind Black Panther considering it's quite an unusual tale for a superhero movie.
I thought Branagh had some creative direction too, no? All those Dutch angles and father and son, kings and princes scenes?

That are quite a few exceptions to your rule there ;)

Beth Cyra

God, X-Men 3 was ass. Its like a turd dipped in 90s cheese and allowed to bake in the blistering sun all day.

Wasn't as good as X2, but I do think that outside of Juggs that X3 gets more hate then it needs.

Wolverine was awkward as a leader, but really that is a good thing in my mind as Wolverine shouldn't be leading, even more when it's Wolverine leading the younger team. Plus the scene with Magneto and Pyro when Pyro talks down about Xavier is easily my favorite in any X movie period.

duckroll

I don't agree with what Bob says, although I totally agree with where he's coming from. Marvel Studios does give creative freedom to their directors, but it is creative freedom in a framework which Marvel controls tightly.

They approach it much like how they approach comics, where individual artists and writers are free to come up with good ideas and to inject their own personal styles into the designs and the narrative flow they're working on, but at the same time they have to stay consistent to the overall Marvel Universe, and there are specific requests made include or exclude certain elements as Marvel sees fit for the given story of a movie.

What this means is that some directors who are more familiar with working within frameworks like this will be more capable of flexing their creative muscles than others who are not. It's also possible that some directors sign on to such projects without wanting to do anything particular creative of their own on the movie, just cashing a paycheck.

I do not agree for a moment that if a director has something creative to contribute to a project in a good way, that Marvel Studios will actually work against him and just want him to "follow instructions" instead. A lot of it is about how you collaborate, and some people are better at doing it than others. If Marvel really wants nothing but yes-man directors, there are a lot more choices for them. Instead they have been more actively looking for directors who in fact fit the tone of the movies they are looking to make.

Thor and Captain America are actually great examples where the directors they picked were selected to bring a specific creative style to the movies which both directors had done before, but within the framework of the Marvel Universe.

I do not agree for a moment that if a director has something creative to contribute to a project in a good way, that Marvel Studios will actually work against him and just want him to "follow instructions" instead.
Except this has already happened: See Jon Favreau's fall out with Marvel during the filming of Iron Man 2.

Blader

Except this has already happened: See Jon Favreau's fall out with Marvel during the filming of Iron Man 2.

There was no falling out, Favreau would have returned for IM3. It just came down to money. Marvel didn't want to pay him (they'd already resisted the raise they gave him for IM2) and Disney offered him a better deal for Magic Kingdom.

Tobor

I don't agree with what Bob says, although I totally agree with where he's coming from. Marvel Studios does give creative freedom to their directors, but it is creative freedom in a framework which Marvel controls tightly.

They approach it much like how they approach comics, where individual artists and writers are free to come up with good ideas and to inject their own personal styles into the designs and the narrative flow they're working on, but at the same time they have to stay consistent to the overall Marvel Universe, and there are specific requests made include or exclude certain elements as Marvel sees fit for the given story of a movie.

What this means is that some directors who are more familiar with working within frameworks like this will be more capable of flexing their creative muscles than others who are not. It's also possible that some directors sign on to such projects without wanting to do anything particular creative of their own on the movie, just cashing a paycheck.

I do not agree for a moment that if a director has something creative to contribute to a project in a good way, that Marvel Studios will actually work against him and just want him to "follow instructions" instead. A lot of it is about how you collaborate, and some people are better at doing it than others. If Marvel really wants nothing but yes-man directors, there are a lot more choices for them. Instead they have been more actively looking for directors who in fact fit the tone of the movies they are looking to make.

Thor and Captain America are actually great examples where the directors they picked were selected to bring a specific creative style to the movies which both directors had done before, but within the framework of the Marvel Universe.

Exactly. Well said.

There was no falling out, Favreau would have returned for IM3. It just came down to money. Marvel didn't want to pay him (they'd already resisted the raise they gave him for IM2) and Disney offered him a better deal for Magic Kingdom.

Our source says Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie Jon Favreau wanted to make. Marvel interfered heavily with his work on the movie and turned the project into an infomercial for The Avengers. Favreau felt the movie was rushed into production (and if you followed the development process you know it was) and they pushed him into making it without a fully realized script. Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie he wanted to make and because of that, if there’s an Iron Man 3, there’s every reason to think he won’t be back. Marvel doesn’t want to pay him and Favreau may not want to deal with more Marvel interference.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...Favreau-s-Relationship-With-Marvel-20003.html

Top Bottom