• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Slashfilm has some images

Guardians-Galaxy-Logo-550x410.jpg

dat Tomorrowland ride potential!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, one of the most beloved and most classic members of the Avengers, who wants that guy?

Oh don't get me wrong, I think its awesome. I just can't believe they're doing it. I mean, they must be really confident in their brand if they're going to try and make a blockbuster out of a movie titled "Ant-Man"

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember any Nova ship looking like their crests. I think you're kinda reaching.

I hope he is in it though.

Edit: Oh and where are the non-believers?!

None do as far as I know, but those things do look like the crests and they can take all sorts of creative license in a new medium.

Salsa

Oh don't get me wrong, I think its awesome. I just can't believe they're doing it. I mean, they must be really confident in their brand if they're going to try and make a blockbuster out of a movie titled "Ant-Man"

dude they're doing this:

they're gone off the deep end. Comic books are coming to life man, the day has come, and it's all thanks to WHEDON AWH YEAH

Cartman86

Banned

Put some Avengers references in the trailer and you're gold. Unless all the movies leading up to it suck of course.

Gartooth

Marvel just flat out owns superhero movies. Even if they don't have the rights to all their properties, the genre is just littered with Marvel characters at this point. (Nolan Batman aside)

Seriously what the hell is DC/Warner doing!?

Ithil

I'm sure it's not going to do the whole Iron Man business, they've got Edgar Wright doing it, it's probably going to be a lot smaller in scale and not released in the prime summer months. It's going to be a very different kind of superhero movie, much like GOTG.

It's an exciting time for Marvel, though, all these never before done properties getting off the ground, less mainstream superheros and teams.

The Technomancer

You know, now that Thor is on Netflix I'm going to re-watch it and see if my impressions from the first time (that it felt small in scope and was paced poorly) have changed.

Ithil

I really hope they include Wasp in this one.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They don't even have to give her powers in it, just have her as Janet Van Dyne at the least. Especially given her surge in popularity since Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they'd be fool to not include her.

And so this is the part that Marvel does well - the movies.

DC has better animated shit.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They don't even have to give her powers in it, just have her as Janet Van Dyne at the least. Especially given her surge in popularity since Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they'd be fool to not include her.

This too, I suppose. Though I imagine she won't be Wasp until late.

they must be really confident in their brand if they're going to try and make a blockbuster out of a movie titled "Ant-Man"

Captain America is probably one of the hokiest names ever if one were not used to it through years of comics/TV/movies. It's all about the marketing and how the film presents itself to the moviegoing public.

Tobor

I'm sure it's not going to do the whole Iron Man business, they've got Edgar Wright doing it, it's probably going to be a lot smaller in scale and not released in the prime summer months. It's going to be a very different kind of superhero movie, much like GOTG.

It's an exciting time for Marvel, though, all these never before done properties getting off the ground, less mainstream superheros and teams.

Yeah, they're obviously feeling very secure after The Avengers and taking some chances on smaller films to release outside of the main summer window. I love it.

Salsa

It's more of a question about how Kevin Feige pulled this off. Marvel has been EXTREMELY lucky and spot on with every single piece of casting and crew in all of the Marvel Studios films.

People are gonna remember this shit, they're just absolutely killing it. They managed to find the sweet spot in wich you please comic book fans while at the same time making the most succesfull movies ever appealing to mass audiences. It's an unbelievably hard thing to do considering the process, budget, and executives you need to go through for making a film.

Im not surprised at DC's failure, im surprised (and delighted) at Marvel's success.

Dram

Marvel just flat out owns superhero movies. Even if they don't have the rights to all their properties, the genre is just littered with Marvel characters at this point. (Nolan Batman aside)

That's what I don't get, Warner has owned DC for how many years, thirty? Yet, they don't seem to know what to do with them movie wise aside from Batman.

Man I remember a few years ago when people kept saying stupid shit like "Captain America is the worst superhero, all he has is a shield? So he just takes punches?" and then were shut up by First Avenger.

Then "lol what is Black Widow gonna do in an alien invasion? Distract the aliens with her body?" and "Hawkeye? He's not even a superhero, he's just a guy with a bow." and then were shut up by Avengers.

Now I can't wait for the idiots saying "Ant-Man, what kind of superhero is that? He's an ant? He can shrink, woah I'm so scared." to be shut up by Ant-Man.

Ant-Man test footage impressions from /Film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/antman-marvels-comedy-edgar-wright-screens-test-footage-comiccon-2012/

The footage begins in a long, Matrix style hallway with two Matrix style agents. The camera moves down the hall, through a grate, and we see a tiny man standing behind the grate: Ant-Man. He jumps through and starts running at them. Of course, they don’t see him. He then pops up into real size, they start shooting, he gets small again, jumps, runs down the shaft of the gun, jumps up and punches the guy in the face, shaking the face in slow motion. With that guy done, Ant-Man gets big again, flips the other agent over….okay, honestly by this point I was kind of freaking out and it gets fuzzy. I do know that Ant-Man takes care of business, is about to jump through another grate when the elevator pings, and he gets on it.

The way Wright shot this, with the silence of a small man running in a big hall, the slow motion, the elevator, it had a totally different vibe from the other Marvel films. It was much more like something you’d recognize from Hot Fuzz. Whether or not that’ll carryover remains to be seen though. Wright said the script, which he’s been working on since 2006 (“the Terrance Malick approach” he said) is a mix of the silver age and contemporary Ant-Man. It’s action packed and “a nod to the original tales.”

God, it's going to be so good.

The Technomancer

It's more of a question about how Kevin Feige pulled this off. Marvel has been EXTREMELY lucky and spot on with every single piece of casting and crew in all of the Marvel Studios films.

People are gonna remember this shit, they're just absolutely killing it. They managed to find the sweet spot in wich you please comic book fans while at the same time making the most succesfull movies ever. It's an unbelievably hard thing to do considering the process, budget, and executives you need to go through for making a film.

Im not surprised at DC's failure, im surprised (and delighted) at Marvel's success.

Oh yeah, what's amazing to me about the last few years of Marvel movies is the overall quality level. I mean, there are a fair number of them that were just good but I don't think I'd call a single one actually bad.

Ponn

Banned
Fixed.

Wendall is the superior Quasar, and Nova is always necessary.
LLShC.gif

I like Nova and Wendell, but they are not Guardians.

I think Phyla had potential, it was clear they were going to do something with her from Conquest but then they just kind of drove her down into the ground and that was a shame. It would be interesting to see if they had her and Moondragon in the film if they would have the balls to explore their relationship. It was great realistic relationship not pushing it unnaturally in peoples faces in a yea this is normal manner.

plus they really need more female representation in these Marvel movies and this would be a great start. Gamora is just really, dry.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Well they have Batman, and they have Superman coming out after that and..........

In the animated department they do have a better grip on things mostly. More animated movies and stuff like Batman The Animated Series and Beyond remain excellent and it helps they don't have someone like Jeph Loeb calling the shots and making bizarre decisions.

Ithil

Captain America is probably one of the hokiest names ever if one were not used to it through years of comics/TV/movies. It's all about the marketing and how the film presents itself to the moviegoing public.

Indeed. By all rights, Captain America shouldn't work, it should just be seen as stupid, but thanks to its presentation, a guy dressed in the US flag named Captain America is an awesome character and one universally respected by fans.

Superhero movies get a lot of slack when it comes to names. No need to worry about that.

Well they have Batman, and they have Superman coming out after that and..........

In the animated department they do have a better grip on things mostly. More animated movies and stuff like Batman The Animated Series and Beyond remain excellent and it helps they don't have someone like Jeph Loeb calling the shots and making bizarre decisions.

Batman is over after last week (lets face it odds are the inevitable next batman movie is either going to be mediocre or a return to schumacher era stupidity) and odds are stacking against Superman.

Salsa

Im surprised we arent getting Rocket Raccoon voice actor suggestions from GAF yet :p

fuck it, I want motion capture. I want a hollywood actor playing a raccoon. Same with Groot.

Ithil

Im surprised we arent getting Rocket Raccoon voice actor suggestions from GAF yet :p

fuck it, I want motion capture. I want a hollywood actor playing a raccoon. Same with Groot.

While you might think it sounds like a joke, any good actor with a sense of humour would be clambering to play a raccoon. How many times can you say you've played a raccoon with massive guns?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Batman is over after last week (lets face it odds are the inevitable next batman movie is either going to be mediocre or a return to schumacher era stupidity) and odds are stacking against Superman.

I know, hence my ".............." They don't seem to have anything lined up past Man of Steel and even then I'm not to excited for that one either.

Gartooth

Yeah it is just incredibly odd, Marvel and DC are polar opposites in that respect. With Marvel I'm entirely negative about the direction they are going in and lamenting that they always cancel their best shows, meanwhile DC has made some of my favorite animated series/movies ever (Batman: TAS, Justice League/Unlimited, Batman: Under the Red Hood) while continuing good TV series. (Young Justice)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
That's what I don't get, Warner has owned DC for how many years, thirty? Yet, they don't seem to know what to do with them movie wise aside from Batman.

Conversely, with Disney backing them up, Marvel Studios is gonna be a force to be reckoned with in years to come.

Salsa

While you might think it sounds like a joke, any good actor with a sense of humour would be clambering to play a raccoon. How many times can you say you've played a raccoon with massive guns?

I dont think it sounds like a joke I think it sounds fucking awesome! people are gonna be lining up

Tobor

I know, hence my ".............." They don't seem to have anything lined up past Man of Steel and even then I'm not to excited for that one either.

Don't forget the "gritty, mature" Justice League script they supposedly have. Lol.

Top Bottom