• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Slayven

Any Thor experts know what "The Dark World" is referencing?

Could either be Dark Elves.
127274-162115-malekith.jpg

Could be The Dark Gods, evil alien gods. Flipside of Asgardians

1546835-pk4.jpg

Or Hela
2212764-hela_in_hel_new_mutants_29.jpg

Don't worry, I'm sure the two comedy TV directors are going to do that story arc justice.

I really can't believe that Marvel would have hired them unless they really impressed with a pitch/sample footage or something, after getting pretty solid directors for all their films and knowing how much Feige really doesn't want to fuck this up.

Just catching up with the news and I'm very pleased about everything.

For Rocket... I'd want either Idris Elba (though he's already Heimdall) or actually Hugh Laurie would be interesting to hear.

TDLink

I'm sort of hoping they give Nova his own movie rather than bring him into Guardians of the Galaxy. Depending on what they do for the Guardians (Thanos-centric, I presume?), adapting Annihilation with him in the lead (and some of the Guardians making cameo appearances as part of the resistance) would be tops.

...wait, do they have the rights to Annihilus? Probably not, huh. That's a shame.

They do. He isn't in the license agreement for Fantastic Four. I don't know why but it's good that he isn't.

Ithil

I hate Marvel not having the Fantastic Four rights. X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, whatever, but Fantastic Four fits in perfectly with the MCU, and Reed Richards and Doctor Doom are such prominent characters in the Marvel Universe that it feels wrong to not have them available for the MCU.

People honestly hear Idris Elba or Michael Clarke Duncan when they read Rocket?

Blows my mind. He's a raccoon. To me that doesn't say deep voice.

Khezu

I'm upset starlord doesn't have his sweet ass helmet, but other then that, this shit is pretty awesome.

Starlord, RR, Gamora, Drex, and Groot seem like the perfect condensed roster, lots of weird characters to play up the outer space angle, but not too many to clutter the movie up. They all have simple powers and easy backstorys, nothing to crazy like putting in Adam Warlock or Phyla and Moondragon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just finished reading Guardians of the Galaxy 1-25 yeseterday. Kinda disappointed seeing Star-Lord's mask in the concept art, it's missing the medieval charm or aesthetic elements that make it charming. Hope the change that. Also RR looks odd, I wonder how they're going to pull him off.

Was Nova ever part of the GotG? I know he's part of cosmic Marvel and there's some overlap in the characters' stories, but I want to know the root of these expectations. Perhaps a Nova movie tease at the end into a full movie if GotG is successful?

So one thing the MCU doesn't really have... street level heroes. Iron Man deals with military threats and other tech threats, Thor deals with cosmic level business, Cap/Widow/Hawkeye are spec ops agents and Hulk is just a loose cannon. Who's cleaning up crime on the streets?

We gotta get Heroes for Hire down there! Daredevil! (when/if the rights come back) Spider-man! (if Sony plays nicely
lol yeah right
) New Avengers? Speedball?! She-Hulk?! Falcon, Punisher, Moonknight?

jph139

Heroes for Hire seem to be getting a push alongside Nova and the Guardians - Iron Fist in MvC, he and Luke Cage as main characters in the new Spider-Man cartoon... definitely wouldn't be surprised to see them getting their own movie soonish.

Cartman86

Banned
Read marvel super hero comics back in the early 90's, but haven't since. Going to start reading every Ultimate issue in order. What Guardians of the Galaxy should I read and is it fine to read those first?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just finished reading Guardians of the Galaxy 1-25 yeseterday. Kinda disappointed seeing Star-Lord's mask in the concept art, it's missing the medieval charm or aesthetic elements that make it charming. Hope the change that. Also RR looks odd, I wonder how they're going to pull him off.

Was Nova ever part of the GotG? I know he's part of cosmic Marvel and there's some overlap in the characters' stories, but I want to know the root of these expectations. Perhaps a Nova movie tease at the end into a full movie if GotG is successful?

He wasn't part of them but he did fight Thanos with them at one point so...

Kizer

No, but he is a close ally to them. They worked together in the Thanos Imperative story arc, for example.

Kizer

Read marvel super hero comics back in the early 90's, but haven't since. Going to start reading every Ultimate issue in order. What Guardians of the Galaxy should I read and is it fine to read those first?

I want to point out that the ultimate stuff is it's own continuity and not really related to anything in 616 (main stream continuity) in case you did not know that.

Read all of Annihilation and then you can skip right into the main Guardians of the Galaxy series that started from 2008. So, so good.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad you'll lose allot of the stuff that made Nova grow.. like that stuff that started the Civil War.. and his relationship with Namorita.

To be honest, I don't really care for the pre-Annihilation stuff. The character arc started there works just fine to flesh out and establish the character.

Ponn

Banned

I really suggest starting with Rebirth of Thanos/Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet if you are not familiar with the base characters like Adam Warlock, Thanos, Silver Surfer, Galactus and general Marvel Cosmic. Then jump to Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest. From there you can go right into Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova series. These two titles for the most part setup the back stories on the bigger events including War of Kings, Realm of Kings and then ending with Thanos Imperative. I also suggest picking up Emperor Vulcan if you find it cheap and Road to War of Kings for the Kingbreaker series which does setup War of Kings. Plus those two series have Havok and the Starjammers and who doesn't love Havok in space.

So one thing the MCU doesn't really have... street level heroes. Iron Man deals with military threats and other tech threats, Thor deals with cosmic level business, Cap/Widow/Hawkeye are spec ops agents and Hulk is just a loose cannon. Who's cleaning up crime on the streets?

We gotta get Heroes for Hire down there! Daredevil! (when/if the rights come back) Spider-man! (if Sony plays nicely
lol yeah right
) New Avengers? Speedball?! She-Hulk?! Falcon, Punisher, Moonknight?

We're gonna need a Darkhawk movie.

Kizer

Is Thanos Imperative 616 or Ultimate?

It was 616. I can't think of an Ultimate title that didn't have "Ultimate" somewhere in the name, if that helps.

Ultimate Spider-man
Ultimate X-men
The Ultimates (Avengers)
you get the point.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ah okay, I'm about to read Thanos Imperative next. Thnaks.

I highly recommend going Annihilation -> Annihilation Conquest -> War of Kings -> Thanos Imperative to get the full picture, but those are a lot of books.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There's gonna be super hero movies coming out every month for years to come? Or even every two weeks?

TDLink

To be honest, I don't really care for the pre-Annihilation stuff. The character arc started there works just fine to flesh out and establish the character.

Completely agree with this. Pre-Annihilation Nova was lame. Richard Rider as Nova Prime from Annihilation on was awesome.

Kizer

There's gonna be super hero movies coming out every month for years to come? Or even every two weeks?

Well I don't know about "Super hero movies" per say, but it seems Marvel movies done by marvel studios (X-men and Spider-man do not count) in particular come 2 each year.

sharbhund

I wonder if this will affect the MCU:

Thanos creator gearing up for lawsuit?

Jim Starlin has offered proof that he created Thanos, leading to speculation that he may launch a lawsuit against Marvel Comics.

The writer and artist has posted an early concept drawing of the Mad Titan from before he began working at the publisher, reports The Beat.

Interest in the character is growing following his cameo in The Avengers movie, the speculation of an upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film and the announcement of a Thanos: Son of Titan miniseries from Joe Keatinge and Richard Elson.

"This is probably one of the first concept drawings of Thanos I ever did, long before I started working at Marvel," Starlin wrote on his Facebook page. "Jack Kirby's Metron is clearly the more dominant influence in this character's look. Not Darkseid.

"Both D and T started off much smaller than they eventually became. This was one of the drawings I had in my portfolio when I was hired by Marvel. It was later inked by Rich Buckler."

Marvel is reportedly struggling to find records relating to the period in the mid-'70s when Thanos debuted in its comics.

e4D1M.jpg

Ponn

Banned
The biggest problem for people wanting to start reading cosmic marvel is alot of these titles were going out of print before this announcement and now they will be harder to find. I'm suspecting marvel will probably re-release the major cosmic stories and GoTG series again before release though. Probably do some sort of omnibus.

Top Bottom