• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Ovid

GotG would be a great sell with kids. Even though no one knows the characters, kids will go crazy over a space adventure starring a talking raccoon. Cap and Thor didn't have too much name recognition either, the point of these movies is to get the characters to the general audiences.

Although I also thought John Carter of Mars would be a hit with kids too, so who knows yet...

Last two Hulk movies were not financial successes. As far as Marvel is concerned, it's gonna be awhile before he has the pull to make his own movie work.
Wrong. The two movies just didn't put up big box office numbers. None of Hulk movies have put us in the red.

probably, but I think the game benefited from it. The more diverse a roster like that is, the better. It can appeal to a larger audience and all that. This being said, Where is my Dr.Strange movie?
Well, it certainly didn't appeal to a large audience.

Pym is a great character, that sadly people only remember one thing about.

Let's no go crazy here. Pym is shitty. Edgar Wright can make him great, though.

Presuming GotG, Antman and possibly Dr.Strange/Panther will be in Avengers 2, isn't that going to make the cast of superheroes infeasibly large? That would be over 10 main characters, not to mention supporting characters and the villains (one of areas Avengers slacked a bit IMO).

No Black Panther movie ;-;

My cynical theory as to why there is no Black Panther movie yet, election year.

As unhinged as conservative politcos have become over the past few years, I expect if they announced it today, then tomorrow one of hosts of Fox and Friends will be talking about how upset they are Marvel is making a movie about a foreign born super-hero whose mission is to harass white people to keep them from voting...by any means necessary.

Presuming GotG, Antman and possibly Dr.Strange/Panther will be in Avengers 2, isn't that going to make the cast of superheroes infeasibly large? That would be over 10 main characters, not to mention supporting characters and the villains (one of areas Avengers slacked a bit IMO).

GOTG won't be, Panther and Strange ain't getting movies before Phase 3.

Man, Iron Man 3 already sounds better than 2.

Iron Man 2 was looking to be awesome, in case people forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0&feature=relmfu

I do think it's not as bad as people say and it's underrated, but it seemed to be easily better than Iron Man 1.

The 6 Avengers will be joined, at most, I think, by Ant-Man, Wasp and War Machine in Avengers 2. Nova is the only GotG(ish) character I could have seen joining the roster. Without him, I fullly expect GotG to just set up Thanos, with the Guardians maybe appearing as secondary characters in Avengers 2, no more.

I'm glad that I live in a time where a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is happening.

I mean, even if it's shit, it's something that never could have happened just a few years ago. I'm glad that the success of the MCU has made stuff like this possible.

Wrong. The two movies just didn't put up big box office numbers. None of Hulk movies have put us in the red.

Yeah I know, that's why I said they were "not successes" and not "bombs".

Iron Man 2 was looking to be awesome, in case people forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0&feature=relmfu

I do think it's not as bad as people say and it's underrated, but it seemed to be easily better than Iron Man 1.

Well we can't just assume that anything that looks good has a high chance of being bad.

And here we're getting solid promises that the issues with IM2 are being addressed. It seems like Marvel has stepped back and is letting Favreau, Black and Downey Jr. just do their thing this time.

noah111

Still Alive
They'll probably have a small role in Avengers 2, in that I expect the plot of GOTG to lead right into Avengers 2, but they'll probably only have a cameo.
In certain ways it'll be a lead-in, but remember that Ant-Man is in-between GotG and Avengers 2. Ant-Man will probably have a lot of involvement with SHIELD and the like, getting ready to join the cast for A2.

Ithil

In certain ways it'll be a lead-in, but remember that Ant-Man is in-between GotG and Avengers 2. Ant-Man will probably have a lot of involvement with SHIELD and the like, getting ready to join the cast for A2.

I suppose, but Ant-Man will be all Earthly matters. GOTG is where I assume Thanos and the wider cosmic structure will really be introduced, so it's going to be very important for Avengers 2 plot wise, assuming Thanos is the villain.

Kizer

Well, it certainly didn't appeal to a large audience.

Let's no go crazy here. Pym is shitty. Edgar Wright can make him great, though.

Perhaps not, but they already have Spider-man, Wolverine and Iron-man so consider the large audience appealed for the Marvel side.

and Pym is totally a cool character. I really like him in Avengers Academy right now. Also he made Ultron, one of the best villains ever.

ib1SHu6YUvkec5.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No he is not. Read Slott's Mighty Avengers. Scientist Supreme !

I hated that so much.

Instead of just showing why Pym is awesome, he had all the other characters in the comic go on and on about how awesome he was. From Hawkeye randomly going "I love this guy" in the middle of a battle, to bringing in the physical embodiment of the universe or some such nonsense to give him a self esteem boost, it was annoying as shit.

The best part of that was when the whole team fucking walked out on Pym after he invited Loki to "join my Mighty Avengers." Everybody from Hercules on down was like "I CAN'T WITH THIS" and left, and Thor and Loki both looked at him like he'd lost his fucking mind.

What I think will happen is that those characters won't appear in A2, but will instead be in A3 when they have to help fight Thanos.

It actually all makes sense now, there's literally no way in hell that the current team could have faced off against Thanos in A2 and lived, so why not push him back to A3 and in the mean time introduce more heroes that could be added to the team to help defeat big daddy T.

I think we can all agree that big daddy T facing off against the avengers, GoTG, Ant Man and possibly Strange and Panther and losing is more realistic than hm facing off against just the avengers and losing.

noah111

Still Alive
I suppose, but Ant-Man will be all Earthly matters. GOTG is where I assume Thanos and the wider cosmic structure will really be introduced, so it's going to be very important for Avengers 2 plot wise, assuming Thanos is the villain.
I'm not fully convinced that Thanos will be the main villain in A2 at this point, especially considering he will be the big baddie in GotG for certain.

Keep in mind that the whole origins part of Avengers (which almost the entire first film comprised of) is now out of the way. The Avengers is an established group now, so that frees up a lot of screen time. The lineup would go from 6 to 8-10, depending on whether or not Wasp, Dr.Strange, or Black Panther actually make a show. I think they could pull that off just fine given the fact that the team is now established with one another.

Ithil

I think at the very least, the Avengers roster in Avengers 2 will now include Ant-Man, and possibly Wasp depending on the direction the Ant-Man movie goes (I said before they don't have to give Wasp superpowers if she's in the Ant-Man film, she can just be Janet).

It's only 1-2 more, not a big deal. Now, Avengers 3, after Phase 3, that might be different. I imagine Black Panther, Doctor Strange and others will be around in time for Avengers 3. I can't see Strange or Panther appearing in an Avengers film without a solo film first (whereas Hawkeye and Black Widow work on the team without a solo film needed). And come on, wouldn't you want to see your cinematic introduction to Doctor Strange being a full on cosmic fantasy film facing off against Dormammu?

But that's years and years away, so no need to worry about it now. I just hope they keep the level of planning and detail at the high level Phase 1 got. Between the solo films, the Avengers film, the short films and the comic tie ins, the MCU has had strong continuity so far, I hope that continues.

Morn

Banned
One of the best casting in cinema history. He IS Tony Stark.

God save us if he ever gets tired of the role, but it doesn't look like he will.

He said at the panel that his contract is up with IM3 and he's having fun. It just depends on what Brinks truck Marvel wants to give him to continue on.

Simon Pegg tweeted that Wright will shoot Ant-Man next year.

Simon Pegg as Hank Pym?

Ithil

Why is it Thor: Dark World and not Thor 2?

Why does Iron Man get numbers but Thor and Cap get stuck with subtitles?

Iron Man's naming conventions was set with Iron Man 2, but since there's going to be a lot of sequels, I'm guessing from here on out they want to keep the numbered sequels to just The Avengers (with IM 3 being last solo film with a number), with the others with subtitles. It's a bit less messy looking

As a guess anyway.

johnsmith

remember me
Well the first Captain America already had a subtitle, The First Avenger. Iron Man had already decided to go with numbers. They could have gone either way with Thor. I dont't think it's that important. People will just call them Thor 2 and Captain America 2 anyway.

Kizer

Isn't Pym the guy that beats up his wife and then shrinks really small so he can go into women's vaginas?

I don't have too much experience with Ant-Man.

He hit Jan once while he wasn't exactly mentally sound and therefore was not acting of his own free will. Since then he has been working very hard to make up for this in pretty much every way he can. As for your second remark, That sounds a lot more like Eric O'Grady than Hank Pym.

I love how people can't get over this but don't ever talk about the time Emma Frost tricked and essentially raped Scott Summers.

Yeah, I hated Hank for what he did but he definitely redeemed himself many times after. And if Jan forgave him then that's that, really. People seem to let that one thing overshadow everything else about his character, he's just "the wife beater" rather than one of the more interesting characters Marvel has created.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah...

how many characters are going to appear in Avengers 2 now?

If you put all of the Gotg guys in it could be a bit of an overkill.

Top Bottom