• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

You know, it's too bad that Captain America 2 will apparently be the Winter Soldier plot, cause I heard rumors they were thinking of using MODOK. Having MODOK on the big screen would be amazing.

I'd rather see MODOK in an Iron Man movie, as a villain who can actually outthink Tony Stark.

Take him out of the rocket chair and make him look really gross and monstrous, and I think they could make MODOK work.

Kizer

I'd rather see MODOK in an Iron Man movie, as a villain who can actually outthink Tony Stark.

Take him out of the rocket chair and make him look really gross and monstrous, and I think they could make MODOK work.

More like the current MODOK?
MODOK-700x636.jpg

More like the current MODOK?

Maybe, but I think it'd be kinda cool if MODOK didn't move at all. He's just a huge swollen head plugged into AIM's mainframe acting as an organic supercomputer, then halfway through the movie he becomes aware and takes over. He doesn't need to fight by shooting energy blasts out of his head, he uses AIM as his weapon.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
You know, it's too bad that Captain America 2 will apparently be the Winter Soldier plot, cause I heard rumors they were thinking of using MODOK. Having MODOK on the big screen would be amazing.

Arnim Zola could make an appearance in Cap 2 considering that his android body is foreshadowed in the first film.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure how I feel about him playing Falcon tbh. Feels a tad too young and he doesn't have the right look imo, but I think he can act well enough to pull it off at least.

TDLink

So, there just happens to be a planet out there with organisms 100% identical to the raccoons we have here on Earth?

Rocket comes from Halfworld, a planet that was populated by Humans from Earth as a mental institution/prison. They also put a ton of Earth animals there as pets for the patients. Eventually, through generations, the animals gained sentience and essentially became the caretakers of the humans. Rocket is one of those...so technically he is identical to an Earth raccoon since he is descended from one. If you are interesting in the Halfworld stuff check out the 4 part Rocket Raccoon series from the 70s and/or Annihilators 1-4.

Re: Falcon. He's boring and dumb and I am sad they are putting him in Cap 2 (and inevitably Avengers 2). If they wanted another black guy on the team (which let's be honest, is the only reason to bring Falcon into this) they could have used War Machine or Black Panther...both of which are infinitely better.

Kizer

Maybe, but I think it'd be kinda cool if MODOK didn't move at all. He's just a huge swollen head plugged into AIM's mainframe acting as an organic supercomputer, then halfway through the movie he becomes aware and takes over. He doesn't need to fight by shooting energy blasts out of his head, he uses AIM as his weapon.

They might not do that because that sounds too much like the Supreme Intelligence (who those of you who don't know what that is will should this Inhumans rumor turn out to be true).

MODOK is actually a pretty jumpy villain; he belongs to the Avengers, but also made his way through Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and SHIELD-related things. I guess that comes with being leader of a terrorist organisation.

The idea sounds interesting, but as Kizer pointed out, that sounds a lot like the Supreme Intelligence of the Kree.

406px-Supintel.jpg

I generally would like MODOK get some recognition, and hopefully an actually menacing portrayal for once. He started out as a really good villain, but in recent decades has more become of a comedic relief among the villains just because he looks so grotesque.

Arnim Zola could make an appearance in Cap 2 considering that his android body is foreshadowed in the first film.

I hope he does. Love me some Arnim Zola.

Not sure how I feel about him playing Falcon tbh. Feels a tad too young and he doesn't have the right look imo, but I think he can act well enough to pull it off at least.

I agree with this - he definitely seems to young for Falcon.

johnsmith

remember me
Serious question. How are guys with guns and knives supposed to prevent cosmic level threats? Aren't those at god-like levels of power?

Gartooth

I knew Falcon would appear sometime soon in the MCU because of his presence in Avengers Assemble. (animated show replacing Avengers: EMH)

Regardless, I still hate it with every fiber of my body. Terrible character, and if you are going to have the token black guy (lets not kid ourselves) then at least put in a character people actually like. (hint: Black Panther)

I knew Falcon would appear sometime soon in the MCU because of his presence in Avengers Assemble. (animated show replacing Avengers: EMH)

Regardless, I still hate it with every fiber of my body. Terrible character, and if you are going to have the token black guy (lets not kid ourselves) then at least put in a character people actually like. (hint: Black Panther)

^Yup. Fuck Falcon.

Tobor

Serious question. How are guys with guns and knives supposed to prevent cosmic level threats? Aren't those at god-like levels of power?

Did you not watch the movie? Cap, Hawkeye, and Black Widow all contributed just fine against an alien invasion.

Dram

Did you not watch the movie? Cap, Hawkeye, and Black Widow all contributed just fine against an alien invasion.

In the next Cap movie, I hope they improve his hand to hand combat training. Something that we'll show he has super strength.

johnsmith

remember me

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant the Guardians of the Galaxy. They all seem to be on the Black Widow/Hawkeye side of the power spectrum as opposed to the Hulk/Thor side. I've only read the Infinity Gauntlet and all those cosmic deities seemed a hell of a lot stronger than the chitauri invasion.

Ponn

Banned
Sorry, I should have specified that I meant the Guardians of the Galaxy. Except for maybe Drax they all seem to be on the Black Widow/Hawkeye side of the power spectrum as opposed to the Hulk/Thor side.

Well groot is pretty damn powerful. And Gamora was raised and trained by Thanos to be the cosmos most lethal assassin. I do admit that without Adam Warlock, Quasar or even Starhawk on the team they are missing some extreme heavy hitters but depending on the type of movie they make they might have been a hard fit. Budge may also be a concern.

Slayven

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant the Guardians of the Galaxy. They all seem to be on the Black Widow/Hawkeye side of the power spectrum as opposed to the Hulk/Thor side. I've only read the Infinity Gauntlet and all those cosmic deities seemed a hell of a lot stronger than the chitauri invasion.
Wiki can only provide so much info.
oJvqL.jpg

e3DaJ.jpg

Nothing is more laughable than observing comic book fanboys drool over complete mediocrity, lol.

Honestly, how can anyone become excited over these films? They pump them out like it's lunch hour at Portillos....

- The color processing is always playing it safe
- The style is always uninspiring
- The direction in these films are completely run-of-the-mill
- The plots are all cookie-cutter; it's amazing to me it still garners peoples interest....

Most impressive of all is the fact people in Gaf seem extremely excited to embrace this shallow, dull, simple-minded, schlock.

Step up your expectations FanboyGaf

johnsmith

remember me
Well groot is pretty damn powerful. And Gamora was raised and trained by Thanos to be the cosmos most lethal assassin. i do admit that without have like Adam Warlock, Quasar or even Starhawk on the team they missing some extreme heavy hitters but depending on the type of movie they make they might have been a hard fit. Budge may also be a concern.

See, Groot is one of the ones that seems pretty weak. According to wikipedia:

Can absorb wood to feed, to rebuild himself, and to enhance his strength. He can also control trees and is resistant to fire.
Genius Level Intellect

How many trees are there in space? Also every other character in the Marvel universe has genius level intellect as one of his abilities, either that or master tactician. Hopefully they'll release their run in an omnibus so I can read up on these guys. I don't feel like buying individual volumes.

Slayven

Nothing is more laughable than observing comic book fanboys drool over complete mediocrity, lol.

Honestly, how can anyone become excited over these films? They pump them out like it's lunch hour at Portillos....

- The style is uninspiring
- The direction seems boring
- And the plot retreads like every other super hero plot; it's amazing to me it still ganars peoples interest....

Most impressive of all is the fact people in Gaf seem excited to embrace this shallow, dull, simple-minded, schlock.

Cause they are fun?

Vega

Not necesarilly MCU related, but The Punisher property is back with Marvel now so I suppose I can post this here.

New Punisher short film starring Thomas Jane reprising his role as Frank Castle. Also features Ron Perlman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc&feature=youtu.be

This is awesome. Hopefully, Feige watches this. Though, I wonder if Marvel Studios/ Disney would even consider making an R-Rated film.

Either way, Tom Jane is a badass. Props to him for doing this.

johnsmith

remember me

- Lastly, the plots retreads like every other super hero plot; it's amazing to me it still ganars peoples interest....

Most impressive of all is the fact people in Gaf seem extremely excited to embrace this shallow, dull, simple-minded, schlock.

The criterion collection thread is over this way .

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

- Lastly, the plots retreads like every other super hero plot; it's amazing to me it still ganars peoples interest....

I bet you hate Super Smash Brothers too.

Dai101

Banned

g74dK.jpg

If superhero fanboys had and respect at all, they would hold Marvel accountable and force them to create innovative/interesting films. Instead...

...you accept easy carbs.

It is a 'direct' translation of the source. If you can't understand that or believes it could be more, you found a great way of making intelligence dumb.

Slayven

If superhero fanboys had and respect at all, they would hold Marvel accountable and force them to create innovative/interesting films. Instead...

A shared cinematic universe isn't innovative or interesting? Whedon ain't no Ingmar Bergman, but he did alright.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

- Lastly, the plots retreads like every other super hero narrative; it's amazing to me it still garners peoples interest....

You sound more befuddled than the fanboys you question.

- Lastly, the plots retreads like every other super hero narrative; it's amazing to me it still garners peoples interest....

5166465451_ded900eaf8.jpg

That said, did you ever consider not everyone wants to see French people dancing ballet in artsy greyscale if they wanna see an action flick based on fictional characters they've come to love?

What does that have to do with respect?

- The plots are all cookie-cutter; it's amazing to me it still garners peoples interest....

One thing that's funnier is a person like you shouting for everyone to stop having fun. On that note, does anyone have that xkcd strip?

Top Bottom