• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

They're Para Demons. Darkseid's troops.

Those got a really badass redesign then. Last time I read anything with them they looked like this:
Parademon.JPG

(Yeah, I don't read DC much. Can't get immersed in their stuff as well as Marvel's, and keeping track of 2 universes is too much for me, I already have problems keeping up with Marvel alone lol).

Annihilus was not part of the Fantastic Four license agreement. Marvel Studios can still use him if they wanted.

I know the villain isn't part of the license agreement, but introducing the Negative Zone with anything but the Fantastic Four would feel wrong. Y'know what I'm saying? As said, I guess I wouldn't mind having Annihilus introduced as villain who is from this universe, I even wouldn't mind having the Skrull introduced somewhere else but the FF, but they better don't do the Galactus/Silver Surfer saga without them. That would not only be wrong, that would be offensive to me.
Yeah, I love the Fantastic Four. They're the reason we actually have Cosmic Marvel. Get at me.

And yeah, when I am talking about how awesome Nova is I mean the Annihilation onwards (ie, Modern) Nova. Richard Rider before that was pretty lame too, the point is the fixed him and made him amazing.

Yeah, well... he was part of the New Warriors, and they sucked. The only name I remember from them (sides Nova) is Speedball, and that guy actually was important too cause he was the only survivor of that event that caused Civil War, and got that badass Penance redesign, the only good thing to come out of Civil War. Sadly, after CW, he got changed back to Speedball, so bleh.

Kizer

Those got a really badass redesign then. Last time I read anything with them they looked like this:
Parademon.JPG

(Yeah, I don't read DC much. Can't get immersed in their stuff as well as Marvel's, and keeping track of 2 universes is too much for me, I already have problems keeping up with Marvel alone lol).

Just read Aquaman. It is actually really good. I recommend All-star Western too.

And Johnny Storm is great.
amazing_spider_man_680_sf.jpg

Zabka

I like the Green Lanterns as well but I think Marvel just did the same base concept in a much better and interesting way. The GL's can always help eachother out and there is never really a feeling of them being alone. Sure there is only one per quadrant but they frequently go elsewhere and help eachother to deal with threats bigger than one quadrant. With Nova (Richard Rider) being the only one left he can't do that. He has to bring justice to the entire universe...alone, which is obviously impossible. It is a lot more taxing on him as an individual and makes him a stronger and deeper character.

DC did the same story already with Kyle Rayner / Ion. All Green Lanterns are killed, one human is chosen to carry on, later he is granted all of the power of the Green Lantern Corps and struggles under the responsibility.

I loved Nova in Annihilation but he's just a Green Lantern without the creativity.

TDLink

DC did the same story already with Kyle Rayner / Ion. All Green Lanterns are killed, one human is chosen to carry on, later he is granted all of the power of the Green Lantern Corps and struggles under the responsibility.

I loved Nova in Annihilation but he's just a Green Lantern without the creativity.

I honestly haven't read that Green Lantern story and did not know it existed. I would say Nova is a bit more than "Green Lantern without the creativity" though.

Vice

I honestly haven't read that Green Lantern story and did not know it existed. I would say Nova is a bit more than "Green Lantern without the creativity" though.

It's a pretty big part of GL history. Kyle was the only GL for over a decade I believe.

TDLink

It's a pretty big part of GL history. Kyle was the only GL for over a decade I believe.

I don't deny it. Totally my bad for not knowing about it. I am admittedly more of a Marvel guy in general outside of Batman. I know I'm not the only one though. Like I said, I like Green Lantern but I haven't read all the GL comics. I recently read Blackest Night though.

Zabka

I don't deny it. Totally my bad for not knowing about it. I am admittedly more of a Marvel guy in general outside of Batman. I know I'm not the only one though. Like I said, I like Green Lantern but I haven't read all the GL comics. I recently read Blackest Night though.

Honestly a lot of those comics were pretty crap. Nova was handled better.

I think Marvel's gunshy about pushing a character named Dick Rider.

Annihilus was not part of the Fantastic Four license agreement. Marvel Studios can still use him if they wanted. And yeah, when I am talking about how awesome Nova is I mean the Annihilation onwards (ie, Modern) Nova. Richard Rider before that was pretty lame too, the point is the fixed him and made him amazing.

Right now we have gone from this:

To This:

He was created by Jeph Loeb. Of course he will be a terrible character.

I haven't kept up. Why is his bucket blue? And why would he become the Prime when there are other viable candidates.

Also, there was some other stuff going on as hinted at in War of Kings, but since Cosmic Marvel basically got cancelled, who knows if it will go anywhere.

Maybe they will revive a book or two for the movie.

Honestly a lot of those comics were pretty crap. Nova was handled better.

Rich or Richard, please.

Also, Dick Armey wasn't shy. Although his combo was a bit more impressive.

Nova has been the only Nova Centurion like three times, including before Kyle Rayner.

Or twice I think. But admittedly it wasn't a focus early on when he was an earth guy.

I just did some catching up on the last few years, and I guess Marvel did more cosmic stuff than I realized.

Annihilators 1 and 2.
And apparently Avengers Assemble will guest star the Guardians for at least an arc?

Has Star-Lord actually been revived yet, and if so how? They also need to ditch his new old costume, even if they keep him helmet-less. Any explanation of Nova? I presume Thanos is back, too?

I do fear from what I'm reading that the new Nova may be the guy they want in their cosmic push, which would suck. But Loeb is apparently allowed to ruin whatever he wants, and the rumor is he is getting Cosmic Marvel rather than DnA?

Which might result in the wrong Nova being in the film, if at all.

Sorry for the bit of a derail, but it is marginally relevant.

TDLink

This is a non-issue because he is never called Dick in the comics. Dick is technically short for Richard so fans have begun to call him Dick Rider (of course, why wouldn't they). In the comics though he is always Richard or Richie. They would just push him as that.

He was created by Jeph Loeb. Of course he will be a terrible character.

I haven't kept up. Why is his bucket blue? And why would he become the Prime when there are other viable candidates.

Also, there was some other stuff going on as hinted at in War of Kings, but since Cosmic Marvel basically got cancelled, who knows if it will go anywhere.

Maybe they will revive a book or two for the movie.

What do you mean by bucket? And yeah the DnA amazing cosmic saga unfortunately ended but they had a lot of loose plot strings that could have led to potential future arcs.

I just did some catching up on the last few years, and I guess Marvel did more cosmic stuff than I realized.

Annihilators 1 and 2.
And apparently Avengers Assemble will guest star the Gladiators for at least an arc?

Has Star-Lord actually been revived yet, and if so how? They also need to ditch his new old costume, even if they keep him helmet-less. Any explanation of Nova? I presume Thanos is back, too?

I do fear from what I'm reading that the new Nova may be the guy they want in their cosmic push, which would suck. But Loeb is apparently allowed to ruin whatever he wants, and the rumor is he is getting Cosmic Marvel rather than DnA?

There is no explanation for how they are getting out of what happened in The Thanos Imperative, at least not yet. It really sucks. And yeah, Loeb is a plague on the cosmic stuff...I swear he is a DC sleeper agent that has somehow gotten high up in Marvel even though it is blatantly obvious he has orders to destroy all he touches. If the wrong Nova gets into the MCU it will be a tragedy.

What do you mean by bucket? And yeah the DnA amazing cosmic saga unfortunately ended but they had a lot of loose plot strings that could have led to potential future arcs.

There is no explanation for how they are getting out of what happened in The Thanos Imperative, at least not yet. It really sucks. And yeah, Loeb is a plague on the cosmic stuff...I swear he is a DC sleeper agent that has somehow gotten high up in Marvel even though it is blatantly obvious he has orders to destroy all he touches. If the wrong Nova gets into the MCU it will be a tragedy.

His hat is Navy instead of gold, like every other Nova except Garthan Saal. At least to my limited knowledge of early Nova.

I guess he started in a spider-man tv show, and then he appeared in like 1 page of a comic, and now he is in Avengers vs. X-men. The worrisome thing though is this semi-reboot Marvel Now, where the focus is on movie awareness/similarity for new fans, and he is featured prominently on the announcement artwork.

Doesn't make any sense, as some of the other probies would make better sense as a Nova. I guess I could deal with it if Nova is off doing galactic stuff and they stick the new guy on some earth squad doing earth stuff.

But the new cosmic stuff is rumored to be written by Jeph Loeb. And since Loeb created Sam, that probably makes him cosmic, and the main Nova. Loeb has single-handedly cost marvel hundreds if not thousands of my dollars over the last several years. So if he is a saboteur he is successful as far as I'm concerned.

This is a non-issue because he is never called Dick in the comics. Dick is technically short for Richard so fans have begun to call him Dick Rider (of course, why wouldn't they). In the comics though he is always Richard or Richie. They would just push him as that.

Didn't Star-Lord call him Richie all the time which made Nova furious?

TDLink

His hat is Navy instead of gold, like every other Nova except Garthan Saal. At least to my limited knowledge of early Nova.

I guess he started in a spider-man tv show, and then he appeared in like 1 page of a comic, and now he is in Avengers vs. X-men. The worrisome thing though is this semi-reboot Marvel Now, where the focus is on movie awareness/similarity for new fans, and he is featured prominently on the announcement artwork.

Doesn't make any sense, as some of the other probies would make better sense as a Nova. I guess I could deal with it if Nova is off doing galactic stuff and they stick the new guy on some earth squad doing earth stuff.

But the new cosmic stuff is rumored to be written by Jeph Loeb. And since Loeb created Sam, that probably makes him cosmic, and the main Nova. Loeb has single-handedly cost marvel hundreds if not thousands of my dollars over the last several years. So if he is a saboteur he is successful as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, yeah the helmet colour is just another thing that makes no sense regarding Sam based on what we know about the Nova Corps. I agree, Loeb has been completely successful in his infiltration and sabotage of Marvel. Somehow they haven't caught on to the complete obviousness of it all though and allow him to have immense creative control. Unfortunately I am pretty sure Loeb taking control of cosmic is more than just a rumour. I can only hope it doesn't last long and/or Richard Rider ends up in the movies anyways.

Slayven

Annihilators 1 and 2.
And apparently Avengers Assemble will guest star the Gladiators for at least an arc?

Old costume. Didn't see you said old. Had a new Junior moment.
enDOJ.jpg

Dram

Why hasn't Loeb's career crashed and burned like Chuck Austin's? They pretty much do the same thing when it comes to writing and continuity don't they? Is it because he's just more likeable to the people he works with?

Slayven

Why hasn't Loeb's career crashed and burned like Chuck Austin's? They pretty much do the same thing when it comes to writing and continuity don't they? Is it because he's just more likeable to the people he works with?

Holy shit, no one should be conspired to Austin. Not even Bryne.

At their worse they don't compare tow WorldWatch.

While Worldwatch is really terrible, I think that Ultimatum is just as bad, if not worse, because it is just gruesome gory murdering of like 90% of the ultimate MU.

Hell, Ultimate maybe wasn't very good sans Spidey, but come on, that was way beyond necessary. I still can't get over the Blob eating the Wasp.

Kizer

Because when he wrote for DC his Batman stuff was actually really good. I swear DC planted him into Marvel with the purpose of ruining whatever he can.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
While Worldwatch is really terrible, I think that Ultimatum is just as bad, if not worse, because it is just gruesome gory murdering of like 90% of the ultimate MU.

Hell, Ultimate maybe wasn't very good sans Spidey, but come on, that was way beyond necessary. I still can't get over the Blob eating the Wasp.

and strange getting popped like a zit. that shit was horrible.

and strange getting popped like a zit. that shit was horrible.

Yeah. Strange was overpowered in a second. Did the Sorcerer Supreme, master of the Arcane Arts and greatest magician in the Marvel Universe ever get to accomplish ANYTHING in the Ultimate universe?
And one could argue that at least Dormammu has a cool scene, but I feel like he's been portrayed WAY off of how he is in the main MU. Yes, he's a the Dread and a demon and a badass and all that, but he's also incredibly vain, so I think that he wouldn't just have his nemesis' head explode. He's way above that.

Then again, it IS Loeb's Ultimate, where changing the magnetic poles of the Earth causes massive destruction. Wait wut?

Ant-Man could be Marvel's third film in 2014:

http://collider.com/louis-desposito-item-47-ant-man-interview/181138/

That might be an opportunity where we do a third film, depending on his schedule when he finishes World’s End. But he’s such a competent filmmaker; the script is in great shape. The test will prove a lot of things on the visual effects front: how do we handle the shrinking, obviously, and the scale issues, because when he’s small he’s a half-inch. So we’re gonna work that out, maybe that’s when we do a third film.

I figured this would be the case.

noah111

Still Alive
Either that or the first film of 2015. But yeah, the whole macro world stuff should be interesting as hell if done right. I don't even remember that last good movie to pull off that kind of scale.

Makes sense. I imagine they'd want Avengers 2 to have 2015 all to itself.

I don't think they'll have one movie as a standalone in 2015. Might be where one of the rumored/talked about topics (Hawkeye/Nick Fury/Black Widow standalones, Hulk sequel, Punisher reboot, and other, smaller franchises) come in.

Zabka

Richard Nixon told people to call him Richard too but he'll be remembered as Tricky Dick.

Nova has been the only Nova Centurion like three times, including before Kyle Rayner.

Or twice I think. But admittedly it wasn't a focus early on when he was an earth guy.
Yeah but I'm mainly talking about the Torch-bearer / Worldmind-hosting storyline. I think the first time it was destroyed was actually the end of his first series.

I think the Nova Annihilation storyline was probably the best character relaunch that I can remember. It's a shame that it was tossed aside.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, yeah the helmet colour is just another thing that makes no sense regarding Sam based on what we know about the Nova Corps. I agree, Loeb has been completely successful in his infiltration and sabotage of Marvel. Somehow they haven't caught on to the complete obviousness of it all though and allow him to have immense creative control. Unfortunately I am pretty sure Loeb taking control of cosmic is more than just a rumour. I can only hope it doesn't last long and/or Richard Rider ends up in the movies anyways.

The new upcoming Point One comic that will feature some characters that will be prominent next year has Loeb's name on the bill, so I think it's safe to say Loeb is indeed writing more Eric Fail, junior Nova.

TDLink

Richard Nixon told people to call him Richard too but he'll be remembered as Tricky Dick.

Yeah but even in the comics he is called "Richie" for short. I am not saying people won't call him Dick Rider as a fan-base, they already do a lot of the time. You'll never hear it in one of the movies though so marketing him wouldn't be an issue.

I think the Nova Annihilation storyline was probably the best character relaunch that I can remember. It's a shame that it was tossed aside.

I can't agree enough times.

The new upcoming Point One comic that will feature some characters that will be prominent next year has Loeb's name on the bill, so I think it's safe to say Loeb is indeed writing more Eric Fail, junior Nova.

Ugh.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If they do make a Runaways movie, do you think the time travel parts will be in it, or will they change it?

The Victorian era thing? That sucked and was the beginning of the end for Runaways. They're relatively late into the series though so I doubt it would be used. Movie would probably just be kids vs parents and its conclusion. Unless you're talking about Victor, but he doesn't really have a chance of making it in without them establishing a certain Marvel villain first. Only thing that gives the Victorian thing a chance of making it in is the fact that Joss Whedon wrote that arc.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

...making your own version of Lensman is creativity? GL wasnt an original re interpretation of the original Alan Scott version. They basically borrowed from the Lensman, right down to the Oans being analogues to the Arisians.

The Nova Corps however are one of MANY space forces in the marvel U , so just because recently , Nova had a good run these past few years , it doesnt exactly follow that you compare the nova corps to the GL corps. GL corps has always been the main force in DC space, Nova corps? not so much . Even though they would be the closest analogue to the universes peace keeping force...the shi'ar, kree, skrull, deviants, eternals, titans, Badoon, etc etc dont give a shit, and could care less if a fucking Nova showed up at their door.

GL doesnt have a monopoly on the whole galactic peace keeping force idea, and the nova corps are basically all the knowledge the Xandarins compiled and left as a legacy to the universe. The GL corps were formed by some of the oldest if not the oldest mortal race of beings in the universe that are trying to keep order and peace.

Dram

The Victorian era thing? That sucked and was the beginning of the end for Runaways. They're relatively late into the series though so I doubt it would be used. Movie would probably just be kids vs parents and its conclusion. Unless you're talking about Victor, but he doesn't really have a chance of making it in without them establishing a certain Marvel villain first. Only thing that gives the Victorian thing a chance of making it in is the fact that Joss Whedon wrote that arc.

Gertrude's parents are time travelers, plus her dinosaur pet.

Zabka

...making your own version of Lensman is creativity? GL wasnt an original re interpretation of the original Alan Scott version. They basically borrowed from the Lensman, right down to the Oans being analogues to the Arisians.

The Nova Corps however are one of MANY space forces in the marvel U , so just because recently , Nova had a good run these past few years , it doesnt exactly follow that you compare the nova corps to the GL corps. GL corps has always been the main force in DC space, Nova corps? not so much . Even though they would be the closest analogue to the universes peace keeping force...the shi'ar, kree, skrull, deviants, eternals, titans, Badoon, etc etc dont give a shit, and could care less if a fucking Nova showed up at their door.

GL doesnt have a monopoly on the whole galactic peace keeping force idea, and the nova corps are basically all the knowledge the Xandarins compiled and left as a legacy to the universe. The GL corps were formed by some of the oldest if not the oldest mortal race of beings in the universe that are trying to keep order and peace.
By creativity I mean the characters have to be creative because they use the rings to make constructs.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Gertrude's parents are time travelers, plus her dinosaur pet.

They'll probably keep that element, I just mean I don't think we're going to see adventures in time.

Kizer

Storm being Spidey's never gets old.

Johnny coming back from the dead was such a good move on marvel's part. We wouldn't get stuff like this, then. I honestly hope that this new FF movie that's happening turns out to be a hundred times better than the previous ones...that that it would be too difficult.
I want that "I party with Johnny" shirt

Slayven

Johnny coming back from the dead was such a good move on marvel's part. We wouldn't get stuff like this, then. I honestly hope that this new FF movie that's happening turns out to be a hundred times better than the previous ones...that that it would be too difficult.
I want that "I party with Johnny" shirt

tumblr_m5xtvgDbSs1qcgzbvo1_1280.png

tumblr_m5xtvgDbSs1qcgzbvo2_1280.png

Yes, this would deserved to be watched hard.

I'm not saying it wouldn't deserved to be watched - hard or gently. But... I just dunno how someone would watch something hard. Or gentle/soft. D:

Hard watching, is that like... pinching your eyes together and staring?

Slayven

I'm not saying it wouldn't deserved to be watched - hard or gently. But... I just dunno how someone would watch something hard. Or gentle/soft. D:

Hard watching, is that like... pinching your eyes together and staring?

With unnecessary pouches on our belts, shoulder pads, and a week worth of stubble.

Top Bottom