• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
You know, it's too bad that Captain America 2 will apparently be the Winter Soldier plot, cause I heard rumors they were thinking of using MODOK. Having MODOK on the big screen would be amazing.

brubakers run on cap is too good to ignore period. Though Mark Waid's run was awesome too , Brubaker makes a mini team out of the book, fury, cap, black widow, falcon, bucky. So many eps of good stuff , hard to overlook it. Im glad tho Brubaker has been great on the book and his take on the character revitalized Caps solo book.

Can anyone say what the CA sequel wil be about? Im not up to scratch with the character. The Winter Soldier sounds cool though.

I guess it will be based on the Winter Soldier arc. It's about a Russian super soldier/assassin - but revealing his identity would be spoilers. :p

brubakers run on cap is too good to ignore period. Though Mark Waid's run was awesome too , Brubaker makes a mini team out of the book, fury, cap, black widow, falcon, bucky. So many eps of good stuff , hard to overlook it. Im glad tho Brubaker has been great on the book and his take on the character revitalized Caps solo book.

I'm not saying it shouldn't get done! I enjoyed Brubaker's run very much, and the storyline is definitely worth doing a film over, but MODOK is one of my favorite Marvel villains, so having him get on the big screen would basically be a wet dream for me.

I guess it will be based on the Winter Soldier arc. It's about a Russian super soldier/assassin - but revealing his identity would be spoilers. :p

I'm not saying it shouldn't get done! I enjoyed Brubaker's run very much, and the storyline is definitely worth doing a film over, but MODOK is one of my favorite Marvel villains, so having him get on the big screen would basically be a wet dream for me.

I'm not greatly familiar with Cap. Brubaker did the Winter Soldier run, right? What is the premise of a MODOK/A.I.M plot?

I'm not greatly familiar with Cap. Brubaker did the Winter Soldier run, right?

Yes.

What is the premise of a MODOK/A.I.M plot?

AIM originally was the science wing of HYDRA, but it got independence from HYDRA and turned into a science terrorism organisation. You might have seen the AIM goons before, they're the yellow bucket heads.

As for MODOK, the origin story is pretty interesting, actually.
He was some low-rank AIM member (sometimes he's even just portrayed as a janitor or something of the likes), and since his contributions are easily replaced, he is chosen as a test subject for this new project. They put him into a machine that turns him from human to that grotesque shape with the HUGE head (although the limbs are still human sized, they look tiny, of course). Since he can't support his vital functions with his human organs and can't move with that huge head, the put him into the rocket chair/life support machine.
So the goal of the experiment was to make him MODOC, Mental Organism Designed Only for Computing, a supercomputer of organic version, since the human brain has so much more capacity and problem solving ability than any computer could ever achieve. So it raised his intellect to the point where he even could use psionic abilities. However, the thing also backfired; although the intellect grew, so did the bloodlust. So, MODOC became MODOK, Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing, wiped out the AIM head staff and took control over the organisation himself to use them for his goal.

While he often was not more than comic relief, his attempt to gain control of the Cosmic Cube in order to conquer/destroy the world was actually really good. He generally can be an awesome villain, but due to his looks, he usually is degraded as funny sideshow to others. He also is the driving force between many super villain teams - he was the (official) leader of the Intellegencia, a group of smart, science-y super villains,
who also are the reason for the existence of Red Hulk.

That said, I really hope they portray him more as an actual, menacing mastermind and don't use him for comic relief if they ever DO use him. He really deserves getting attention (in the good way).

The chair is only for mobility and weapons. He also has the psi band. He has clones that he obtains new organs from on a daily basis.

Him and Leader are villains who get hit by heroes always win trope. They can predict movement of everyone but lose due to other factors.

Good enough reason to leave him off for that alone.

Is that good or bad? I sometimes have trouble grasping English phrases (not native and all) - I read that as a "leave out", but the rest of the post seems more positive about him. I'm confused.

Looks would be changed to just a big headed guy I would imagine. Not sure if the plot is something they would attempt in a movie not.

Thanks for the info.

I guess establishing a villain would also need to establish an origin of that villain. He's actually a really tragic creature.

And you're welcome.

The chair is only for mobility and weapons. He also has the psi band. He has clones that he obtains new organs from on a daily basis.

Him and Leader are villains who get hit by heroes always win trope. They can predict movement of everyone but lose due to other factors.

Or that. It's been really long since I read anything with MODOK in it, to be honest.

And yes, super villains generally underestimate the abilities of certain characters (Hulk is a classic example - they think he's only that strong, but he's actually way stronger than that!), or unexpected allies pop up and help the hero. Stereotypical, really.

Red Hulk is actually a pretty great character and a logical evolution for
General Ross
as a character, outside of his stupid original arc. There's a lot going on with the character that a skilled writer could explore, and add to that he's one of the only Marvel characters who is stronger, smarter and more skilled in combat than the Hulk
due to his military background, a theme they played with in Incredible Hulk

Basically I think just because Red Hulk hasn't had a great history in the comics doesn't mean better writers should never give the character a shot again, because there is something there that could work really well in a movie.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Marvel should lay off Red Hulk for the Incredible Hulk sequel and save him for the third film. The Leader would be a perfect villain for the second film.

Kizer

Looks would be changed to just a big headed guy I would imagine. Not sure if the plot is something they would attempt in a movie not.

Thanks for the info.
They could so use him in a movie because of his origin. It sounds like A.I.M is getting introduced into Ironman 3 so naturally it would eventually lead up to M.O.D.O.K. He probably will not look exactly like he does in the comics, but I am certain they will take bits and pieces from it and make it work. Look at Loki's helmet after all. I am fairly certain that people thought it would look too stupid to see in reality.

Is that good or bad? I sometimes have trouble grasping English phrases (not native and all) - I read that as a "leave out", but the rest of the post seems more positive about him. I'm confused.
He is saying that it would be better if they do not use his character in the movies based off his origin story alone. I suppose he feels it sounds stupid or something.

Red Hulk is actually a pretty great character and a logical evolution for
General Ross
as a character, outside of his stupid original arc. There's a lot going on with the character that a skilled writer could explore, and add to that he's one of the only Marvel characters who is stronger, smarter and more skilled in combat than the Hulk
due to his military background, a theme they played with in Incredible Hulk

Basically I think just because Red Hulk hasn't had a great history in the comics doesn't mean better writers should never give the character a shot again, because there is something there that could work really well in a movie.

I feel that the concept of Red hulk will not sell to the common person though. They will probably see it as like "oh they are running out of ideas haha that is so stupid". Or consider him a "bizzaro" rip-off or something ignorant like that. As a matter of fact, I think it would be harder to sell Rhulk to people than Rocket because Hulk is an established character already.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder what role A.I.M. plays in IM3. Surely that couldn't be red herring considering the scale of that asset that was photographed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
640a4f4d787c241150f3be778e9addfbe9191d89.jpg

It seemed appropriate now.

Also I just reminded myself. The Iron Patriot? Do we have any idea what the hell that is about in the movie yet?

hfRhx.gif

Salsa

Red Hulk would be the true jump to "we're going in deep, mass audiences", I think.

I mean you could say that about Guardians, but somehow I see that really working as just a fun space adventure film for most audiences.

Red Hulk tho? people dont know shit about red hulk, it would be kinda disconnecting to see that on the screen for most people who think they know what Hulk is

Slayven

Red Hulk would be the true jump to "we're going in deep, mass audiences", I think.

I mean you could say that about Guardians, but somehow I see that really working as just a fun space adventure film for most audiences.

Red Hulk tho? people dont know shit about red hulk, it would be kinda disconnecting to see that on the screen for most people
What would be disconnecting about? Ross finally losses his shit and goes "to beat the monster I must become the monster".

Salsa

What would be disconnecting about? Ross finally losses his shit and goes "to beat the monster I must become the monster".

In my personal experience people always go WHAT THE SHIT THERE'S A RED HULK!? PFFFTTT HAHAH

Some of these characters work better for most folk because they've been established before in old TV shows and whatnot (The Hulk, for example). I just mean from the point of view of bringin something that novel for most people to the table.

I was also refering to more of a movie where red hulk is the protagonist, for some reason.. you're probably right

Of course also at this point and after the success of all they've had: they can probably do whatever the fuck they want, as they're showing

In my personal experience people always go WHAT THE SHIT THERE'S A RED HULK!? PFFFTTT HAHAH

Some of these characters work better for most folk because they've been established before in old TV shows and whatnot (The Hulk, for example). I just mean from the point of view of bringin something that novel for most people to the table.

I was also refering to more of a movie where red hulk is the protagonist, for some reason.. you're probably right

Of course also at this point and after the success of all they've had: they can probably do whatever the fuck they want, as they're showing

I imagine, if they're doing red hulk, they're not going to have him said the name "Red Hulk" out loud. the only thing ridiculous about red hulk is just the name. in the context of the movie, it might as well be just another monster with red skin that Hulk fight, just like abomination.

Tobor

That's what I think every time I hear about it.

I imagine, if they're doing red hulk, they're not going to have him said the name "Red Hulk" out loud. the only thing ridiculous about red hulk is just the name. in the context of the movie, it might as well be just another monster with red skin that Hulk fight, just like abomination.

No doubt, the fucking story writes itself and I know it's early but you could easily make this the best of the Marvel movies, which isn't saying much.

Kizer

I think Starjammers would be a sign we're in too deep. Or Nextwave.

Man, I want a Nextwave movie....
The general audience would never "get" Nextwave. I'd be lost on them.

Not really sure what else you'd call him. He is a hulk and he is red. It's what the viewers would call him.

Speaking about going in too deep...

That's actually awesome, haha. I might do something like that some time.

Red Hulk tho? people dont know shit about red hulk, it would be kinda disconnecting to see that on the screen for most people who think they know what Hulk is

Well, the only thing that makes Red Hulk "unknown" is the fact that he is a recent introduction. I mean, he's 4 years old, by most people's standards, he basically just got introduced to the universe. The same goes for the Guardians, though, really.

That said, most people are simply stuck in the 90s with their comic knowledge. I constantly see people saying stuff like "Rogue has Ms. Marvel's powers" or similar things - stuff that has been changed since over a decade. Comics simply aren't read as regularly anymore, so the majority of people don't know what's going on in the MU, and have their knowledge just from the cartoons, the comics they read when they were kids, and the movies.

I thought the transformation was involuntary, though? It's been a while.

I think Starjammers would be a sign we're in too deep. Or Nextwave.

Man, I want a Nextwave movie....

Starjammers are actually comparably well-known due to their connection to the X-Men. Corsair is Cyclops' father, and they were in the 90s cartoon during the Phoenix Saga arc. That alone makes them already better known than most other Cosmic property short of Silver Surfer, Thanos and Galactus. ;P

And yeah, Nextwave would be amazing, haha.

No doubt, the fucking story writes itself and I know it's early but you could easily make this the best of the Marvel movies, which isn't saying much.

Why do you think it isn't saying much? I haven't seen Avengers yet, but I think that Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are really good movies, and Hulk and IM2 are decent action flicks. You portray it as if all of these movies were bad. :I

They could so use him in a movie because of his origin. It sounds like A.I.M is getting introduced into Ironman 3 so naturally it would eventually lead up to M.O.D.O.K. He probably will not look exactly like he does in the comics, but I am certain they will take bits and pieces from it and make it work. Look at Loki's helmet after all. I am fairly certain that people thought it would look too stupid to see in reality.
...huh?

Horned helmets have been an iconic image since... Forever. And even if it were odd (and it isn't) the general audience is more accepting of that for comic book movies, as tough as that is for some people. Or have we forgotten Green Goblin?

MODOK is veeery different from that. Not that I think it'd matter much.

Horned helmets have been an iconic image since... Forever.

But Loki's horned helmet is a bit ridiculous, you gotta admit that much. =P

And even if it were odd (and it isn't) the general audience is more accepting of that for comic book movies, as tough as that is for some people. Or have we forgotten Green Goblin?

I can't remember anyone thinking that Raimi's Gobs looked acceptable, let alone good. They all felt that armor was pretty fucking stupid. And it was.
The movie was decent, and most importantly, Dafoe's portrayal of the character was great, that's why people overlooked that dreadful visual design.

But Loki's horned helmet is a bit ridiculous, you gotta admit that much. =P

I can't remember anyone thinking that Raimi's Gobs looked acceptable, let alone good. They all felt that armor was pretty fucking stupid. And it was.
The movie was decent, and most importantly, Dafoe's portrayal of the character was great, that's why people overlooked that dreadful visual design.
I liked it. First time he's with it on the throne seemed straight out of a comic book. And he's a supervillain from Norse mythology. It was fine.

And that's my point. After the initial "lol, that costume is ridiculous" moment, audiences don't care that much.

LosDaddie

Banned
That's what I think every time I hear about it.

Same.

Red Hulk in MCU could've worked pre-Avengers, if TIH had got a sequel. The story arc about Ross having to hulk-up to take Hulk down is doable. Kinda similar to the military stealing Iron Man's old armor/ War Machine's origin in IM2.

But now, post-Avengers, I think it'll be difficult to have Hulk still be 'the hunted' in MCU. Banner & Stark had a serious bromance going on at the end.

Kizer

Same.

Red Hulk in MCU could've worked pre-Avengers, if TIH had got a sequel. The story arc about Ross having to hulk-up to take Hulk down is doable. Kinda similar to the military stealing Iron Man's old armor/ War Machine's origin in IM2.

But now, post-Avengers, I think it'll be difficult to have Hulk still be 'the hunted' in MCU. Banner & Stark had a serious bromance going on at the end.

Perhaps that is where the desperation comes from. Because now he is considered a hero and can't be hunted.

Yeah, Ross is still probably pissed off with Banner for taking the Hulk away from his "rightful owners", so they could justify him going Rulk just to beat the shit out of Hulk and get some payback.

Course, the interesting thing about that storyline to me- if I remember this correctly- is Rulk taking over from Ross's personality, and becoming a hero. They haven't addressed the idea of the strength of a Hulk's personality yet- Hulk is still very animalistic, despite being capable of speech, and Abomination just had Blonsky's personality- so that would bring something new to the table.

Kizer

...huh?

Horned helmets have been an iconic image since... Forever. And even if it were odd (and it isn't) the general audience is more accepting of that for comic book movies, as tough as that is for some people. Or have we forgotten Green Goblin?

MODOK is veeery different from that. Not that I think it'd matter much.

Iconic doesn't actually mean much for a lot of people, though. I am not saying the helmet wasn't cool. I am saying that it was cool and many people assumed it would look stupid if attempted

Top Bottom