• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

If i was Disney right now id be saying. Jackman Cameo in A2, Full FF Rights back including doom and you can have an extension of both Daredevil and X-Men rights.

I just want to see Civil War or AvX with the current actors playing the roles, The vast majority of virtually iconic in the role at this point.

That's never happening. Fox will never let go of the XMen franchise.

TDLink

If i was Disney right now id be saying. Jackman Cameo in A2, Full FF Rights back including doom and you can have an extension of both Daredevil and X-Men rights.

I just want to see Civil War or AvX with the current actors playing the roles, The vast majority of virtually iconic in the role at this point.

FOX already is fine on the X-Men rights. They don't need an "extension" because every time they make a film with the property it resets the "counter" to 7 years. They have The Wolverine, X-Men Days of Future Past, and Deadpool all in the works (at least) so they really had no fear of losing that for the next decade. There is no way they consider Daredevil worth even half of that stuff either. Silver Surfer + Galactus probably would have been a fair trade but as it stands Daredevil is the least valuable of the properties FOX has at the moment anyways. If they have to lose something it is probably best for them if it is that. Disney isn't really in the position to make a ton of demands.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Putting a tin foil hat on for a moment, what's stopping Disney from covertly paying key personnel like the writer for the new FF movie a huge amount of money, to purposely miss the renewal deadline?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't that hurt the writer's career if he missed the deadline?

Entirely depends on how much money they'd offer and the writer's integrity. Hypothetically they could give him enough to retire on 5 times over, which would still be a measly amount of money compared to the sum that would be required to get the rights back from Fox cleanly.

Putting a tin foil hat on for a moment, what's stopping Disney from covertly paying key personnel like the writer for the new FF movie a huge amount of money, to purposely miss the renewal deadline?
Fox would have another writer or script lined up and ready just in case.

fox has money and lawyers, and there's gotta be some kind of corporate interference/tampering precedent that would make winning a suit over that reallll easy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
With the previous exception of The Punisher...no. I do like the X Men movies Fox has mad...but fuck I want an AVX movie.

Why can't Fox just do a share arrangement for a film, shit tons of cash, huge leverage for future movies, free press of the property, and it doesn't hurt their movie.

There's almost no way they can agree to work together. Haven't seen any X-men movie besides the first and second one. But even if they're quality movies I just want to see what Marvel can do at full power and with every storyline readily available. I just absolutely love the idea of the MCU and how everything is connected.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are there any female villains they could plausibly use? Female villains hardly ever get screen time in films.

Having said that, outside of Batman's Harlequinn and Poison Ivy (Catwoman is really an anti-hero), I'm struggling to think of any from any comic franchise!

For a DareDevil movie we need Typhoid Mary god damn ive had a crush on Typhoid Mary since forever.
AC7Lb.jpg

Other decent Villainesses(is that even a word).
Morgana Le Fe - though she would be hard to explain

Madam Masque - Very low level, but still her having a relationship with Tony would be awesome
BqeQ9.jpg

Screaming Mimi - Even though she isnt a villain anymore, we could still have her on a team

Titania - For the sake of the movie verse she can hold her own physically against Hulk and Thor
d9cJM.jpg

Superia - Would be interesting if she had an organization rivalling shield behind her...plus shes damn hot
HmvxL.jpg

DeathBird - Complete costume redesign and sure, we could get some deathbird in us
lPHrk.jpg

Moonstone - She has been towards the upper end of the female villain list for a while, its about time she actually got a movie version of herself.
jSXx8.jpg

Umar - Could probably solo all the Avengers, so they would need to tune her down
DgkGU.jpg

If Marvel got Mutants bank, or atleast the really obscure ones, we would have a slightly better list.

Anth0ny

Fantastic news all around.

I'm really looking forward to the TV series. I might actually watch TV for something other than sports for the first time in years.

I can't imagine seeing Iron Man or any of the other big players on the TV show, so who would that leave? Would it just star obscure characters? Would people tune in for that? Could they tie it into Avengers 2 effectively without using Nick Fury or any of the Avengers?

TDLink

Fantastic news all around.

I'm really looking forward to the TV series. I might actually watch TV for something other than sports for the first time in years.

I can't imagine seeing Iron Man or any of the other big players on the TV show, so who would that leave? Would it just star obscure characters? Would people tune in for that? Could they tie it into Avengers 2 effectively without using Nick Fury or any of the Avengers?

It is unlikely the TV series will be Avengers-related. Popular theories are on a Jessica Jones, Heroes for Hire, SHIELD, or cop-drama in Avengers new york. All of them are possibilities...my personal hopes are on Heroes for Hire. We should find out more in a few months if they are developing it specifically for next year's slate of new shows, but it may be for the 2014-2015 season instead.

Anth0ny

Just rewatched Avengers. Somehow, it's still playing at my local cinema.

Fuck does it hold up well on a second viewing. I've now watched Batman, Spiderman and Avengers twice in theaters, and I can say without a doubt Avengers is the best movie of the year so far. September 25th can't come soon enough.

Ponn

Banned

Ohh...wonder what the TV series is. I think I would give up GoTG as a movie if they turned it into a TV Series by Joss Whedon and keep the confessionals in it every episode. That would be so amazing. They could have tons of cameos and have more time to build up the universe like the Kree, Shi'ar and Nova Corps. Every season could be a different arc and they could get more obscure things like the Church of Universal Truth. Holy Shit, I just imagined a whole season of Annihilation Band of Brothers style.

It is unlikely the TV series will be Avengers-related. Popular theories are on a Jessica Jones, Heroes for Hire, SHIELD, or cop-drama in Avengers new york. All of them are possibilities...my personal hopes are on Heroes for Hire. We should find out more in a few months if they are developing it specifically for next year's slate of new shows, but it may be for the 2014-2015 season instead.

I think it's between Jessica Jones, Heroes for Hire (those general concepts worked for Angel back in the day) or Runaways (apparently he wrote for this comic at some point in the past)

NeonZ

Could they make an X-Men live action tv series? Or do the movie rights that they sold also include live action tv shows?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I'd like an X-Men live-action show but i'd be worried it would be too 'safe' or end up a lot like the teen drama/villain of the week nature of early Smallville.

Something new outwith comic lore could be good though- I do like the idea of a SHIELD/NYC serial. Either could be really useful at introducing lesser heroes before their film debuts for instance.

bill0527

Someone at AICN got a look at the Iron Man 3 trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57600?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It opens with a voice over of Tony Stark talking about how the events of New York (I’m assuming the Avenger Movie) changed him, and how he’s just not “into it” anymore. First scene is Iron Man with battle damage, laying down amid rubble and taking of his faceplate to show a bleeding Stark. Scenes of him arguing with Pepper Potts in the armory (cool shots of alternative Iron Man suits including the red white and blue one we’ve seen on your site already), press conferences, Tony looking solemn, Tony talking with someone who looks like a psychiatrist, and a short shot of Don Cheadle in military uniform (no War Machine in the preview). Also one scene of who I presume is the Mandarin, forcefully landing and cracking the ground. However, it looked like a silver Iron Man. I was unable to tell in the brief view who it was (maybe due to unfinished CGI).

We then get a voice over from Ben Kingsley, talking about how there there are no heroes and how he will teach everyone, especially Stark, a lesson. This is over scenes of the alternative Suits getting blown up, Stark going into surgery, and a fleet of helicopters launching missiles which blow Stark’s home up and apart (the CGI looked nearly finished) and sending Stark and Pepper into the sea below. Then a close up of Kingsley with no helmet in the Mandarin armor.

It ends with Iron man underwater swimming towards what looks like his “heart reactor thing”. Then the logo, then stark walking in the snow dragging a large bag, then the logo again.

All and all, a somber trailer, dark and humorless, which seemed more in tone with The Dark Knight Rises than with any of the other Iron Man movies or the Avengers.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Do we know exactly how long the period of inactivity has to be for a property's rights to go back to Marvel?

I mean 10 years has got to be it right? 15 would be way too ludicrous to ever sign on.

Edit: Oh I see, theyve got until October. So it is 10 years then or 11/12, if it goes from when the movies start production, Daredevil (2003) presumably started prod in... what, October 2002? Seems a bit short.

Still one of the oddest fucking license deals ever made.

Caja 117

Do we know exactly how long the period of inactivity has to be for a property's rights to go back to Marvel?

I mean 10 years has got to be it right? 15 would be way too ludicrous to ever sign on.

Edit: Oh I see, theyve got until October. So it is 10 years then or 11/12, if it goes from when the movies start production, Daredevil (2003) presumably started prod in... what, October 2002? Seems a bit short.

7 Years is by law how long an intellectual property can be without a big/small screen appearance, Daredevil made cameo appearance in Elektra movie (2005)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well yes, obviously money had to be made, but for it to be so open ended is crazy, and to now have even fueled shitty films just to hang onto licenses. God only knows what Daredevil terrible Fox may try and shit out in a month's time.

7 Years, Daredevil made cameo apperance in Elektra movie (2005)

Oh that counts... probably not because of the cameo but the 'character movie from the license' though surely? 7 years is pretty good then! Just need to assassinate all Fantastic Four writers and crew for another 2 years!

Caja 117

Oh that counts... probably not because of the cameo but the 'character movie from the license'. 7 years is pretty good then! Just need to assassinate all Fantastic Four writers and crew for another 2 years!

Too late, that FF movie is going to be released no matter what before the 7 years period expire, BTW, on an interesting note, the company may hold de copyrights if the movie goes into production.

Bleepey

Well yes, obviously money had to be made, but for it to be so open ended is crazy, and to now have even fueled shitty films just to hang onto licenses. God only knows what Daredevil terrible Fox may try and shit out in a month's time.

Oh that counts... probably not because of the cameo but the 'character movie from the license' though surely? 7 years is pretty good then! Just need to assassinate all Fantastic Four writers and crew for another 2 years!

Oh lord, I fear they will shit out an abomination to keep the rights.

Too late, that FF movie is going to be released no matter what before the 7 years period expire, BTW, on an interesting note, the company may hold de copyrights if the movie goes into production.

Daredevil looked to be a sure thing, but now it's shelved. Fantastic Four doesn't even have a script yet. With Fox, there's never a sure thing.

Moonstone - She has been towards the upper end of the female villain list for a while, its about time she actually got a movie version of herself.

I think Moonstone would be a fantastic villain for a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie. They're both Kree-powered and have a bit of a history in the comics, plus introducing Moonstone is the first step towards a Thunderbolts movie.

Besides, there still hasn't been a good superhero movie starring a woman. Someone's gotta make that happen sooner or later.

TDLink

Could they make an X-Men live action tv series? Or do the movie rights that they sold also include live action tv shows?

No, same as the movie rights. The rights that are different are animation.

It's 7 years from when the last film released in theatres. However, they need to get a new film into production, but not necessarily release, before the deadline in order to extend the contract.. Elektra counts as a movie using the Daredevil license.

ericexpo

So what happens when you have a character which was invented after the rights contract was written. ie. Miles Morales could they use the character but not mention the name spider-man? what i'm trying to say is if a Fantastic four villain was made just last year is it covered under Fox's rights?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So what happens when you have a character which was invented after the rights contract was written. ie. Miles Morales could they use the character but not mention the name spider-man? what i'm trying to say is if a Fantastic four villain was made just last year is it covered under Fox's rights?

Well Marvel/Disney was able to use the Iron Patriot armor and Sony seemed OK with it. Also, to the general public, Peter Parker IS Spider-Man, so I could see Miles Morales and his black and red suit as existing in the MCU and distinct from the "classic" Spidey.

Bleepey

It was posted a while back and I can find it if I can be bothered, but there was a detailed breakdown of who owns what by studio.

Bleepey

They are really up against it, aren't they? No script, no director, has there even been any type of casting rumors?

The risk i0now is they will shit out any old tripe which they threatened to do.

TDLink

Marvel owns any rights to characters created after the agreement was signed. In the actual agreement the characters are specifically named, typically, like this: "Peter Parker/Spider-Man". Because of this Marvel can not have Miles Morales be "Spider-Man" but they can use Miles Morales if they wanted since he was created after the agreement. They are essentially doing this by using the Iron Patriot armour in Iron Man 3 without using Norman Osbourne.

sharbhund

Probably not, since Fox sued Marvel over the Mutant X TV show.

Marvel owns any rights to characters created after the agreement was signed. In the actual agreement the characters are specifically named, typically, like this: "Peter Parker/Spider-Man". Because of this Marvel can not have Miles Morales be "Spider-Man" but they can use Miles Morales if they wanted since he was created after the agreement. They are essentially doing this by using the Iron Patriot armour in Iron Man 3 without using Norman Osbourne.

I don't think it's that simple. X-Men: First Class used characters created after the Fox agreement was signed. For example, Darwin was created in 2006.

Blader

They are really up against it, aren't they? No script, no director, has there even been any type of casting rumors?

They have a script.

The problem is they have to start shooting it by October 10th. Even if they hired a director and put together a whole cast and crew by tonight, they wouldn't be able to meet that deadline.

TDLink

Probably not, since Fox sued Marvel over the Mutant X TV show.

I don't think it's that simple. X-Men: First Class used characters created after the Fox agreement was signed. For example, Darwin was created in 2006.

IIRC the X-Men license agreement has a special clause that covers all "mutants". This means "mutants" created after the agreement are still covered by the agreement. This type of thing is not true of the other licenses still out there. Also, there are some characters who have special exceptions due to association with other Marvel properties and thus can be used by either Marvel or FOX, namely Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

They have a script.

The problem is they have to start shooting it by October 10th. Even if they hired a director and put together a whole cast and crew by tonight, they wouldn't be able to meet that deadline.

Well with having shelved a script it means they now don't have that either. They really have nothing at this point which is why it is an almost certainty that Daredevil will return to Marvel.

I'm worried, when Whedon's left to his own devices we end with crap like Firefly, Dollhouse and Angel.

Here's hoping he's reigned in a little.

Joss was never left to his own devices. Except maybe on Season 1-4 of Angel. Firefly and Dollhouse were severely hampered by studio interference.

A little late on this, but I'm hoping for something like Heroes for Hire. I could really see it work if it was similar to Burn Notice but with more Fisticuffs (Villain/Job of the week with an overarching plotline)

Of course I still would like to see Cloak and Dagger come to fruition. Joss or not.

Top Bottom