• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Give him a nice little goatee and I'd agree.

OXtkp.jpg

I think GotG's Adam Warlock would be good for Viggo

If this were ten years ago, I'd say fuck yeah without hesitation, but I think Viggo is a bit old for Warlock.

Viggo Mortenson in a Marvel film would be so sweet. Watched him in Eastern Promises recently, so badass.

It'll never happen, but Flash Thompson (as Agent Venom) should join the Avengers. That'd be awesome to see in film.

Uncle

• Marvel has a Black Panther Script like Latino Review claimed but it hasn't gotten a greenlight because they don't know if the character can draw enough of an audience for his own film.

As excited as I am about GOTG movie, it's kinda sad that a movie like that is seen as a safer bet than an african superhero. I mean are the Guardians really that much more popular/recognisable than Black Panther?

Has anyone else watched Item 47 yet? What did you think about it? To me it felt kind really short, even though I knew it would be but oh well.

Also watched the "Making of a Cinematic Universe" documentary included on the two disc blu-ray. Pretty interesting and offered some new insights, although it could've easily been more in depth and an hour longer in my opinion.

I knew from before that a lot of the bigger actors in Thor (Hopkins, Portman) was interested/came on board because of Branagh, but I didn't know that it was when Downey was cast that more high profile actors wanted to get involved in Iron Man.

TDLink

As excited as I am about GOTG movie, it's kinda sad that a movie like that is seen as a safer bet than an african superhero. I mean are the Guardians really that much more popular/recognisable than Black Panther?

In terms of current mainstream recognition they are probably close to the same in that they both aren't all that recognizable by the average person. This definitely, and unfortunately, feels like Hollywood shying away from making a film with a black lead once again. Guardians of the Galaxy is a fantastic concept though and does have wide appeal (it's a space epic like Star Wars) so I can understand why they would want to turn it into a movie. In a better world we could have both films. Maybe in time we'll get the Black Panther film anyways, Hollywood's typical casual racism does get a bit old.

Kizer

In terms of current mainstream recognition they are probably close to the same in that they both aren't all that recognizable by the average person. This definitely, and unfortunately, feels like Hollywood shying away from making a film with a black lead once again. Guardians of the Galaxy is a fantastic concept though and does have wide appeal (it's a space epic like Star Wars) so I can understand why they would want to turn it into a movie. In a better world we could have both films. Maybe in time we'll get the Black Panther film anyways, Hollywood's typical casual racism does get a bit old.

I don't think it is even about that. I think that they want to explain Thanos a lot and GoG is a great way to do it while Black Panther would not be. It also shows that Marvel is more than just Earth and Asgard too. It's possible that Black Panther can show up in a movie and then get his own as well, right?

noah111

Still Alive
Another website is speculating Dr. Strange in Thor 2 and that Viggo Mortensen would play him:

http://screenrant.com/thor-2-dr-strange/all/1/

Also interesting is that Marvel Studios initially wanted Joel Edgerton to play Strange.
That would be incredible. They probably have a lot more pull now after Avengers, which might be why they'd opt for Viggo over Joel. Good choice imo.

viggo-mortensen-1-300x225.jpg

He could definitely pull it off. But realistically, him having a relatively small roll for a movie like Thor could make the casting seem unbalanced. It'd probably never happen. But here's to hoping..

How is that latest Venom book anyway? Good?

It's AWESOME!

Remender's run on the book recently ended and a new writer's picked it up, so I dunno how this new guy will fare. But Remender's run was fucking good. I loved his last issue, it's brilliant.

But the book itself is pretty great.

TDLink

New from the twitter account, he posted:

The numbers will lead you....9876541

It seems a few others figured it out as he positively responded to these three things:

Avengers Issue 54 And Deliver Us From The Masters Of Evil! released 7/1968

In July, 1968, the Avengers #54 was published and was by coincidence the first appearance of Ultron

April, June, and August 1975. The release dates of the first few issues of the Universal Church of Truth arc in Strange Tales.

The way I am reading this is Ultron is definitely going to have a presence soon in the MCU. The Masters of Evil -may- have a presence (the positive response to the first quote may just be referring to Avengers #54, which as the second quote points out is where Ultron is introduced). Also, the third thing would seem to indicate that the Universal Church of Truth will be involved in the films...which makes total sense as they were antagonists for the Guardians of the Galaxy in multiple stories. With the possibility of Adam Magus we may actually be seeing the final story Abnett and Lanning wanted to do for GotG but had to cut, rewrite, and compact into Annihilators: Earthfall instead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It seems a few others figured it out as he positively responded to these three things:

The way I am reading this is Ultron is definitely going to have a presence soon in the MCU. The Masters of Evil -may- have a presence (the positive response to the first quote may just be referring to Avengers #54, which as the second quote points out is where Ultron is introduced). Also, the third thing would seem to indicate that the Universal Church of Truth will be involved in the films...which makes total sense as they were antagonists for the Guardians of the Galaxy in multiple stories. With the possibility of Adam Magus we may actually be seeing the final story Abnett and Lanning wanted to do for GotG but had to cut, rewrite, and compact into Annihilators: Earthfall instead.
This is seeming increasingly awesome.

WHOO HOO! Best news!

DOUBLE WHOO HOO! Now get Fillion as Starlord. I know it is cliche to ask for him in these movies, but Starlord is actually a great fit for him.

This is actually the one time where nerds asking for Nathan Fillion would be pretty appropriate.

Exactly. I love Fillion and all, but the constant "Fillion for (whomever)" thing was tiresome. However, Starlord is a perfect fit. And it would make the nerds happy.

Cmon, don't you want to see Fillion interacting with a gun toting raccoon?

Soodanim

My only exposure to Dr Strange is the 2007 animated film, but coming into this thread and seeing that it's happening excites the hell out of me. Now I need to read the rest of the thread and see what else I wasn't aware of before.

GotG sounding wonderful still. Ultron makes me happy too.

Fillion would be a good choice for Star-Lord- he'd be appreciative enough of the job to wear the mask too. :p

The best news here is Marvel still has that top tier decision making in them.

Thank you based Feige.

Speaking of which I remember Chris Baker (the Marvel rep that oversaw MvC3) said that it was Alan Fine's idea to cast/give Rocket Raccoon his Cockney accent. I really hope that carries over into the movie. Even if they don't use the same actor, I think it would still work very great.

In terms of current mainstream recognition they are probably close to the same in that they both aren't all that recognizable by the average person. This definitely, and unfortunately, feels like Hollywood shying away from making a film with a black lead once again.

Personally, I don't like how it feels like people place all their hope for a Chocolate "lead character" on Black Panther. There's a lot of shit they would have get over for that to work out and having the main character be African would only be one of many factors to over come for a big budget "Super Hero Comic" Marvel movie. Best way I see that playing out would be them doing a "District 9" kinda thing where they make it cheap and pretty by using No-Name actors and call it an experimental film so that it can make a profit and possibly lead to something else.

If their goal is to make a Chocolate Main Character in a big budget film along the lines of their other films then I say Nextwave (Monica Rambeau) is a far better pick. It's over-the-top big, surreal, really funny, set in America and has kind of a "Non-Hero Heroes" twist using a diverse ensemble of unique characters (most of which are female) with powers and enemies that would be sweet eye-candy in a big budget summer flick. Kinda what I assume they're trying to pull with GotG ... but set on earth with more of a human element.

Blader

iirc, the biggest hurdle Marvel has faced in making Black Panther has less to do with race and more to do with making Wakanda. It's not something they can shoot on stages and it's not a place that automatically lends itself well to location shooting either.

T Dollarz

I wish the next Thor took place on Earth just in a regular context. My favorite parts of the movie were with him on Earth interacting with humans, whereas the scenes in Asgard with Odin, Loki, and Idris Elba's just felt so ridiculous.

TDLink

iirc, the biggest hurdle Marvel has faced in making Black Panther has less to do with race and more to do with making Wakanda. It's not something they can shoot on stages and it's not a place that automatically lends itself well to location shooting either.

What? How is it "not something they can shoot on stages" nor a place that lends itself well to location shooting? No place is impossible to put on film.

Blader

What? How is it "not something they can shoot on stages" nor a place that lends itself well to location shooting? No place is impossible to put on film.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that (allegedly) the main problem was how to visualize Wakanda and where to shoot that.

Top Bottom