• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

TDLink

Those screenshots with Thor are really cool looking. They ooze with style, even though they are just set photos and haven't been gone over with effects work.

This one especially:

11195m.jpg

I didn't say it was impossible, just that (allegedly) the main problem was how to visualize Wakanda and where to shoot that.

I don't really see how it's an issue. Tons of films and television programs have filmed in Africa and/or have made up sets to look like Africa. The technological stuff is just more on top of that and/or CGIed in. You realize much of "New York" was just composited in The Avengers, right?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
lookin cool...hopefully they will fall back from the super science star trek view of asgard and go to something a bit more fantasy, because crazy as it sounds THAT makes sense, as opposed to super advanced culture with stuff that looks like magic (we just dont get it yet yeah thats it!). Leave the super hi tech stuff for the kree/skrull/eternals/ guardians of the galaxy where it belongs.

Slayven

lookin cool...hopefully they will fall back from the super science star trek view of asgard and go to something a bit more fantasy, because crazy as it sounds THAT makes sense, as opposed to super advanced culture with stuff that looks like magic (we just dont get it yet yeah thats it!). Leave the super hi tech stuff for the kree/skrull/eternals/ guardians of the galaxy where it belongs.

Adam Warlock quantum mage.

Vega

Speaking of which I remember Chris Baker (the Marvel rep that oversaw MvC3) said that it was Alan Fine's idea to cast/give Rocket Raccoon his Cockney accent. I really hope that carries over into the movie. Even if they don't use the same actor, I think it would still work very great.

I hope they get Jason Statham for Rocket Raccoon's voice. Would be such a perfect fit and a riot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Speaking of which I remember Chris Baker (the Marvel rep that oversaw MvC3) said that it was Alan Fine's idea to cast/give Rocket Raccoon his Cockney accent. I really hope that carries over into the movie. Even if they don't use the same actor, I think it would still work very great.
Yeah having played UMvC3 and then read GotG afterwards, I think it's a really good fit. I'm not sure of the history of the character pre- the most recent series, but I think the accent was a really good idea.

Maybe they'll stick with it considering how involved Marvel has been, and Marvel's recent approaches to branding across different media. A lot of strangely coincidental stuff popping up over and over in UMvC3 in relation to movie projects and other stuff.

Slayven

Yeah having played UMvC3 and then read GotG afterwards, I think it's a really good fit. I'm not sure of the history of the character pre- the most recent series, but I think the accent was a really good idea.

Maybe they'll stick with it considering how involved Marvel has been, and Marvel's recent approaches to branding across different media. A lot of strangely coincidental stuff popping up over and over in UMvC3 in relation to movie projects and other stuff.
Before GotG Rocket was a security guard for a planet asylum.

TDLink

This has to happen every time from now on, hahahaha.

So excited for Thor 2. I loved Thor the most out of all the MCU films before Avengers (though RDJ's performance as Iron Man is the best out of all the films in the first IM film).

You know, I am not so sure RDJ fits (or acts as) Tony Stark/Iron Man better than Chris Hemsworth fits Thor or Chris Evans fits Captain America. All 3 seem perfectly casted in my eyes. RDJ stands out the most because his character stands out the most (and is well written). Thor and Captain America both look and act exactly as they should though, just like Tony Stark. Marvel has really done a great job with casting all around. Hawkeye is basically the only odd/sort-of-off casting (not that Renner was bad, just that he was way different from normal Hawkeye).

You know, I am not so sure RDJ fits (or acts as) Tony Stark/Iron Man better than Chris Hemsworth fits Thor or Chris Evans fits Captain America. All 3 seem perfectly casted in my eyes. RDJ stands out the most because his character stands out the most (and is well written). Thor and Captain America both look and act exactly as they should though, just like Tony Stark. Marvel has really done a great job with casting all around. Hawkeye is basically the only odd/sort-of-off casting (not that Renner was bad, just that he was way different from normal Hawkeye).

I agree. Marvel films are always cast so perfectly.

Given that Edgar Wright is directing Ant-Man, do you think it could be Simon Peg playing Pym, I don't really know the character so I am just basing this speculation off their past collaborations together.

Recon

Banned
Given that Edgar Wright is directing Ant-Man, do you think it could be Simon Peg playing Pym, I don't really know the character so I am just basing this speculation off their past collaborations together.

I highly doubt Peg would be Pym. But I definitely could see him playing some other part. Though, I wonder if he would hesitate at being cast as yet another wise cracking side character in a major franchise.

Blader

I don't really see how it's an issue. Tons of films and television programs have filmed in Africa and/or have made up sets to look like Africa. The technological stuff is just more on top of that and/or CGIed in. You realize much of "New York" was just composited in The Avengers, right?

:lol, why are you talking to me like I have anything to do with this? I'm only reposting what I read.

TDLink

:lol, why are you talking to me like I have anything to do with this? I'm only reposting what I read.

Well, all I'm saying is if someone actually at Marvel Studios actually said this it is complete and utter nonsense based on both what they have accomplished in the MCU already and film-making in general.

Mariolee

Nathan Fillion in my MCU? Yes please. Can't because of Castle? Well...on the bright side we get more Castle. :D win win situation.

Beth Cyra

I wish the next Thor took place on Earth just in a regular context. My favorite parts of the movie were with him on Earth interacting with humans, whereas the scenes in Asgard with Odin, Loki, and Idris Elba's just felt so ridiculous.

I was on the other side. While the Asgard stuff was hurt abit by the weird Aliens route they took, it was far, far better then the earth stuff.

The relationship between Thor and Loki and more importantly Thor and Sif was a million times better then forced awkwardness between Thor and Jane. In fact my biggest gripe with Thor in MCU is they decided to follow through with Thor and Jane instead of using Sif who could be amazing and thus far is probably my favorite Marvel Female in any of the movies.

Tobor

He just didn't want to get locked up in the MCU I guess.

More not wanting to leave a sure, steady job. He's on a hit show, it's hard to walk away from that, unless you're an idiot like Shelly Long or David Caruso.

I'd love to see Fillion in the MCU, but I get where he's coming from.

More not wanting to leave a sure, steady job. He's on a hit show, it's hard to walk away from that, unless you're an idiot like Shelly Long or David Caruso.

I'd love to see Fillion in the MCU, but I get where he's coming from.

He is also looking out for all of the crew most likely. A whole lot of people with steady work because the show is a hit.

I was on the other side. While the Asgard stuff was hurt abit by the weird Aliens route they took, it was far, far better then the earth stuff.

The relationship between Thor and Loki and more importantly Thor and Sif was a million times better then forced awkwardness between Thor and Jane. In fact my biggest gripe with Thor in MCU is they decided to follow through with Thor and Jane instead of using Sif who could be amazing and thus far is probably my favorite Marvel Female in any of the movies.

I have to agree with this, ESPECIALLY in the Deleted Scenes Asgard (and characters) was much better than Earth.

antonz

Very interesting. With the Marvel Universe set delayed Amazon just sent me an email apologizing and giving me a promo code to get a free Avengers 2 Disc Blu Ray pack.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We're writing to let you know that the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One-Avengers Assembled Collection will not be released by Marvel as originally expected. Instead, Marvel is planning to offer a similar collection in new packaging. The new collection will include the original titles offered with the first version of the item, and is expected to be available in the spring of 2013. To make this easy for you, we updated your order for the original collection and will ship the new collection when it becomes available. The price of the new collection will be the same as the original collection.

To show our appreciation for your understanding, we are providing you with a promo code to receive a free copy of Marvel's The Avengers (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging). To be eligible, you must have placed your order between June 1, 2012 and August 28, 2012. Any cancelled orders are not eligible to receive the free copy. Codes must be redeemed by October 15, 2012.

Recon

Banned
Very interesting. With the Marvel Universe set delayed Amazon just sent me an email apologizing and giving me a promo code to get a free Avengers 2 Disc Blu Ray pack.

Thank you for posting that. My amazon account is tied to a email i dont use much. I got the same email. Pretty fucking good on amazon's part to give us free blu rays.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
same email here, Amazon is awesome. glad i didn't cancel the Phase One collection :D

Same :)

I was thinking they might give like $10 store credit which is why I didn't cancel, never expected this.

Yep, same here. Just placed an order! The really awesome thing for me is that it's got an included DVD copy which I can bring with me when I visit my mom and brother in New Zealand as they;ve been really itching to see it (and they have a region free dvd player). Something I wouldn't be able to do if I got the Bluray Only Boxset.

Got my email from Amazon and redeemed the code. Was gonnna pick up a regular version on top of the 10-disc set anyways, but a free one from Amazon because they felt bad is kinda awesome too.

Yeah, I'm pretty amazed at this. I guess they figure keeping us on the hook for a relatively overpriced (on a per movie basis) is worth the initial outlay. Or maybe Marvel is footing part of the bill. Either way, I'm pretty excited.

Except Amazon checkout is not working right now, at least not for me.

Hindle

Banned
I don't know much about The Thor comics, bust based on what we know about the sequel what kind of monsters can we expect?

TDLink

I don't know much about The Thor comics, bust based on what we know about the sequel what kind of monsters can we expect?

Based on what we know so far it appears the primary villains will be Dark Elves with the main antagonist being Malekith the Accursed. Surtur (a fire demon) is also rumoured to appear, but is probably just a set up for being the main bad guy in Thor 3.

Evans also indicated he’d like to make a cameo in the currently shooting "Thor: The Dark World".

"[Chris] Hemsworth and I even talked about that. I would love to do a little thing in Thor 2. It is obviously going to be tricky trying to work out the plot, the reason why I am not there to help him, and why he is not there to help me."

So if the actors are talking about it then its not outside the realm of possibility. A passing cameo could work inside the narrative but anything greater than that and shit falls apart.

TDLink

I wouldn't mind seeing these heroes cameo in others' films. I do think getting Captain America into Thor 2 sounds a bit difficult though with all we know about the film so far (and how it will likely be on Earth for barely any time at all). There is already going to be a lot going on too if they are introducing Doctor Strange alongside all the Thor stuff going on. I think cameos in pretty much any of the other films would work better than this one, but we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom