• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

antonz

I kid you not, they probably spent less buying Marvel as a whole than what Sony would ask for the license back.

Yeah I dont imagine Sony will let Spiderman revert back anytime soon until they literally turn the franchise into a rotted corpse that cant draw at the box office anymore

noah111

Still Alive
How much money do you think it'd take for Disney to buy the rights to Spider-Man back?
Never going to happen. Seeing how well Avengers is doing, and how well the new Spider-Man (probably) will do, there's just no incentive for them to get SM on board for any reason whatsoever.

There's viewers like use who want to see it happen, but it's just not worth the compromise that either company would have to take to make it happen.

Too much to be worth it.

If the new one just absolutely bombs they might try though considering Sony pictures' troubles.
Can't realistically see a Spider-Man film bombing though; he is the biggest superhero all across the globe afterall.

Am I the only person concerned about Iron Man 3 without Favreau?
No, Favreau's a hack.

The guy they got for Iron Man 3 (Shane Black) is absolutely amazing and knows his shit. He also has prior history with RDJ so there's that.

Never going to happen. Seeing how well Avengers is doing, and how well the new Spider-Man (probably) will do, there's just no incentive for them to get SM on board for any reason whatsoever.

There's viewers like use who want to see it happen, but it's just not worth the compromise that either company would have to take to make it happen.
Why not make a heavy investment in Spidey in the near future before things get all tangled up? He's a huge, gargantuan character that brings in the money like no other.

I just finished the first 12 chapters of New Avengers and Sentry caught my attention. How important is he in the Marvel universe and what are the chances of him appearing in a movie? His self-inflicted amnesia could make a pretty cool story I think, even if you have to cut Emma Frost out of the picture.

I also remembered how exceptionally good Spidey works with allies. Beyond frustrating that we'll never see him team up with Johnny Storm :(

I just finished the first 12 chapters of New Avengers and Sentry caught my attention. How important is he in the Marvel universe and what are the chances of him appearing in a movie? His self-inflicted amnesia could make a pretty cool story I think, even if you have to cut Emma Frost out of the picture.

I also remembered how exceptionally good Spidey works with allies. Beyond frustrating that we'll never see him team up with Johnny Storm :(

Bob was kinda a joke, with no one being able to write him effectively. Pretty sure they killed him off because of it. He is ridiculously overpowered. I dont see him ever being introduced into the MCU.

Mafro

I hated the Sentry. Bullshit origin story, dull, boring and stupidly overpowered. Was so glad when they killed him off.

Hell no. Black is amazing. I can't wait to see what he brings.

Shane Black. Amazing?

Nah, he's hit and miss, so I'm not getting to pumped for IM3 until I see the trailer. That said, his last directorial effort was good, but that was 7 years ago, so let's see if he still has any of that magic left.

noah111

Still Alive

I loved his origin story, those several issues were excellent imo. It was almost at the level of a marvel 'event' before those even started.

His standalone 'The Sentry' comics were pretty good too. Though very dark and depressing, but great stuff nonetheless. And will it ever happen? Well, if you want to believe that old MCU list leak...

I hated the Sentry. Bullshit origin story, dull, boring and stupidly overpowered. Was so glad when they killed him off.
Do you realize that you're literally shitting inside of my heart right now?

marrec

Banned

Agreed, never liked the origin ESPECIALLY the first run and I've never understand WHY the Marvel universe needed him.

Do you realize that you're literally shitting inside of my heart right now?

You're my favorite Sentry. Much better then that overweight punk from the comics. ;P

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't think Disney could buy the rights back to any of the other marvel properties, except for MAYBE Fantastic Four as they have not been as successful, but even then i bet it's a long shot.

marrec

Banned
I don't think Disney could buy the rights back to any of the other marvel properties, except for MAYBE Fantastic Four as they have not been as successful, but even then i bet it's a long shot.

They just need to licence them back for a bit so that half of them can die for the Infinity Gauntlet arc.

Should be easy to convince Fox and Sony.

Tobor

Unless of course Sony really falters, and has no choice but to sell. It's an outside chance, but Sony ain't looking too hot these days.

noah111

Still Alive
You're my favorite Sentry. Much better then that overweight punk from the comics. ;P
It's not his fault that he was amazing!! I just really liked his origins in New Avengers and The Sentry series, tbh.. his death pissed me off. I hated Thor for a while after that. Stupid bitchfuckcuntasshole.

But I forgave his ignorance, eventually. I'm just so misunderstood. :```(

It's not his fault that he was amazing!! I just really liked his origins in New Avengers and The Sentry series, tbh.. his death pissed me off. I hated Thor for a while after that. Stupid bitchfuckcuntasshole.

But I forgave his ignorance, eventually. I'm just so misunderstood. :```(

Sentry is the Superboy Prime of Marvel.

That's a bummer about Sentry. Gimping him a bit (like they'll probably do with Thanos) might work though. Regardless, Dr. Strange and a female Avenger are on top of my list for new recruits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dr. Strange could be a very good call. He's maybe the most different of characters to be associated with the Avengers of those we haven't seen, and we need to establish allies with some form of vast power if combating Thanos is at all believable.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Strange could be a very good call. He's maybe the most different of characters to be associated with the Avengers of those we haven't seen, and we need to establish allies with some form of vast power if combating Thanos is at all believable.

I want Doctor Strange played by Robert Downey Junior with grey temples in Avengers 2 and no one in the movie universe to acknowledge they look similar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want Doctor Strange played by Robert Downey Junior with grey temples in Avengers 2 and no one in the movie universe to acknowledge they look similar.
Rofl. He can't pull off the "I am unrelatably sincere" factor.

Wilbur

Banned
Alright, I'm gonna post what I would like to see of the next few films. I hardly know anything of the comics and am just basing this on what I've seen from the films, so I expect to be told all my ideas suck haha. Anyway:

* Iron Man 3 should just be its own thing, and do Extremis or whatever it's going to do, but have a post-credits scene where Mandarin (if he is IM3 baddie) gives Thanos one of the Infinity Gems from one of the Ten Rings
* Thor 2 should have a standalone story with villains backed up by Thanos who get beaten by Thor. Climax though should have Thanos come and do the job himself to steal the Infinity Gauntlet, killing Loki in the process; a) because he failed him in Avengers and b) because Loki redeems himself and tries to protect the Gauntlet.
* Cap 2 should have him and the SHIELD team developing HYDRA weapons a bit more but for the good of mankind, maybe an Infinity Gem is needed to power it. Don't know too much about Winter Soldier but I assume he could do a job as villain. Post credits has him or a surviving Red Skull delivering the final Infinity Gem to Thanos or whatever.
* Hulk shouldn't have his own film but it feels inevitable at this stage, so should just be standalone.

Then Avengers 2 should go all Empire Strikes Back on this shit and make a crazy climax for A3. Thanos is baddie and survives, killing Iron Man (closing off that trilogy and a 50 year old RDJ making an exit) to show that stakes are high and everyone won't just get away all fine. Don't really know what else could happen but that should be the end and sets up whatever else...

That's what I would like to see anyway. That with a lot more planning.

having different villain give gems to Thanos in different solo films sounds weird. I'd say do that Guardian of The Galaxy movie. have them fight Thanos, obliterated and a survivor go to earth to warn and help the avengers fight Thanos. it can also be used to tell Thanos backstory so they don't have to do that again in Avengers 2.

Metal B

* Thor 2 should have a standalone story with villains backed up by Thanos who get beaten by Thor. Climax though should have Thanos come and do the job himself to steal the Infinity Gauntlet, killing Loki in the process; a) because he failed him in Avengers and b) because Loki redeems himself and tries to protect the Gauntlet.
I also like the idea to let Loki redemption be a sidestory of the movie. He his the character, who could grow the most out of it and it would be a great pay of for his brother, who never stopped caring and persuading him. Put Loki in a prison, where Thor visited his brother every day. He talks to him, gives him food, book, etc. , while Lokis seen kind of bugged. Loki talls Thor that one day, he will stop carring and visting him, which Thor of cource refuse to belive. Then the plot is happening and Thor needs to go back to earth. Somehow a massage to Loki from Thor about his absence gets lost. Since Loki doesn't know what really happening and Thor doesn't show up to visting him, he sees himself right about his early prediction and also surprisely worried and angry about it. So much actually that he succesfully escape his prison and tries to steal the Infinity Gauntlet to get his revange. However almost shortly before he actually get the Gauntlet in his hand, he finally receive the message or the information that Thor is on earth, in big trouble and also wishing his brother to be his successor. So there he is, standing with the possibly to get his revange over his brother, reconquer his kingdom and let everbody know there place before him, but still decides to better help his brother with the power of the gauntlet. So it happends that Loki helps Thor, they got there big reconciliation scene, Loki finally acts like an adult king and sadly Loki gets killed off by Thanos for his failer and the gauntlet. Thanos revails that everything was just an big Xanatos Gambit to get the Infinity Gauntlet. The Trickser was tricked. The movie in itself is tragically concluded with a big cliffhanger for Avengers 2. Where Thor now is really looking for revange!

Avengers 2 could be a movie about every hero being seriously after Thanos, because they all, except Banner, have a good reason to get revange on him. Not only would this be a perfect fit for the name of the group, but also the big issue which splitts and challange them personally. From all people Banner should be the person at the end, who unites the group by explaing how to control there anger and unfold it healthy at one point. So that we get an Charging Ultra Thanos Thanos Volleyball-Attack from every Avenger as finall Money Shot. =)

Tobor

I think if they do use the Infinity Gauntlet, they're going to nerf it. The thing is just too powerful, and they don't have enough characters to do the original story justice. They'll take pieces of the story and make it more of a fight.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm sorry, I'm still angry at you for killing Ares.

1157562-siege_3_legion_cps_010_super.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I think if they do use the Infinity Gauntlet, they're going to nerf it. The thing is just too powerful, and they don't have enough characters to do the original story justice. They'll take pieces of the story and make it more of a fight.

I just want there to be some kind of peril behind it; I didn't feel any danger behind the Chitauri, everyone was going to make it out alive. Killing off Stark would be a huge HOLY FUCK THANOS IS BADASS

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I also like the idea to let Loki redemption be a sidestory of the movie. He his the character, who could grow the most out of it and it would be a great pay of for his brother, who never stopped caring and persuading him. Put Loki in a prison, where Thor visited his brother every day. He talks to him, gives him food, book, etc. , while Lokis seen kind of bugged. Loki talls Thor that one day, he will stop carring and visting him, which Thor of cource refuse to belive. Then the plot is happening and Thor needs to go back to earth. Somehow a massage to Loki from Thor about his absence gets lost. Since Loki doesn't know what really happening and Thor doesn't show up to visting him, he sees himself right about his early prediction and also surprisely worried and angry about it. So much actually that he succesfully escape his prison and tries to steal the Infinity Gauntlet to get his revange. However almost shortly before he actually get the Gauntlet in his hand, he finally receive the message or the information that Thor is on earth, in big trouble and also wishing his brother to be his successor. So there he is, standing with the possibly to get his revange over his brother, reconquer his kingdom and let everbody know there place before him, but still decides to better help his brother with the power of the gauntlet. So it happends that Loki helps Thor, they got there big reconciliation scene, Loki finally acts like an adult king and sadly Loki gets killed off by Thanos for his failer and the gauntlet. Thanos revails that everything was just an big Xanatos Gambit to get the Infinity Gauntlet. The Trickser was tricked. The movie in itself is tragically concluded with a big cliffhanger for Avengers 2. Where Thor now is really looking for revange!

Avengers 2 could be a movie about every hero being seriously after Thanos, because they all, except Banner, have a good reason to get revange on him. Not only would this be a perfect fit for the name of the group, but also the big issue which splitts and challange them personally. From all people Banner should be the person at the end, who unites the group by explaing how to control there anger and unfold it healthy at one point. So that we get an Charging Ultra Thanos Thanos Volleyball-Attack from every Avenger as finall Money Shot. =)
...this is good.

Tobor

I just want there to be some kind of peril behind it; I didn't feel any danger behind the Chitauri, everyone was going to make it out alive. Killing off Stark would be a huge HOLY FUCK THANOS IS BADASS

That's not going to happen, though. Feige has already said they aren't rebooting Iron Man when RDJ eventually steps down, they'll recast like James Bond and keep on going. So they can't kill him.

Of course, in Infinity Gauntlet, characters die and are brought back, that could happen. I mean, Thor already died once in his own movie for a split second. Lol.

noah111

Still Alive
That's not going to happen, though. Feige has already said they aren't rebooting Iron Man when RDJ eventually steps down, they'll recast like James Bond and keep on going. So they can't kill him.

Of course, in Infinity Gauntlet, characters die and are brought back, that could happen. I mean, Thor already died once in his own movie for a split second. Lol.
Iron Man will be dead to me if RDJ ever steps down. If he leaves before Avengers 3 is wrapped, imma be pissed.

I want this people to all live on forever goddamnit.

Wilbur

Banned

I can dream of a day when I actually find the movies unpredictable, dammit

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You doubt the power of Ryan Reynolds?
Yes. This cannot happen, ever.

He's a perfectly solid Deadpool, and I hear he portrayed some DC character as well or something, let's not muddy the waters any more!

I felt the same way about Jack Nicholson's Joker, you just never know.
Holy crap so different. The tones of those two films are completely disparate. Ledger's Joker is not supposed to be the same man as the one portrayed by Nicholson. Another actor replacing RDJ and playing Iron Man alongside the same characters within the MCU will be really tricky to pull off.

Tobor

How can anyone top RDJ as Iron Man?

Maybe no one ever will. No one has ever topped Sean Connery as Bond. If we're lucky, though, they'll find someone to give us an interesting take on the character.

I think this is a ways off, by the way. RDJ will stick around through Avengers 3, I'd bet on it.

noah111

Still Alive
So any guesses on what the blurred out titles in this leaked screen are?;

am8qN.jpg

Keep in mind it seems to be in alphabetical order... Probably bullshit all-together, but what the hell.

TDLink

am8qN.jpg

Keep in mind it seems to be in alphabetical order... Probably bullshit all-together, but what the hell.

What exactly is this supposed to be? Also if this is allegedly involved in some aspect of the MCU I would question that as Amazing Spiderman and Ghost Rider 2 are both clearly visible there and not part of it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

am8qN.jpg

Where is this from? Why would a leaked screen have stuff blurred out?

Izick

I'm not sure about Spiderman. It looks like it could either be really good, or really awful. The guy that plays Spiderman kind of just sounded really weird when he was in the suit, a little stiff. Not sure though, going to withhold judgment until I actually see it, unless it critically bombs out or something.

That's my friend's uncle's computer guys, he works at marvel and he is best friends with stan lee

tONHu.jpg

am8qN.jpg

My bet is Dr. Strange and Wolverine.

As for killing Iron Man: There's no way they could recast RDJ without it being jarring and stupid. If they're ready to be rid of RDJ, it would be the perfect time opportunity to kill off Stark in one of the Avengers movies to make the villain more threatening and raise the stakes. Then if they want to keep making Iron Man movies, they could start a new trilogy arc with a new character donning the suit (I'd say obviously to have it be Rhodey but I don't think anyone would disagree if I said Cheadle couldn't possibly carry the film).

Izick

RDJ makes Iron Man, and he was a big part of why Avengers was awesome. I feel like they have a perfect balance of personalities and egos right now, and it'd suck to lose him.

TDLink

I don't think RDJ is going anywhere anytime soon. He has stated in the past he would play the character in a ridiculous number of films (I think he said either 12 or 16 but I'd need to find the exact source to be sure of the number). I mean he was almost certainly being hyperbolic there, but RDJ loves the character. He has personally said that IM was one of his favourite heroes when he was little so this is like a dream role for him. Either way, he is still under contract for a couple more films at the very least.

Top Bottom