• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've been reading Deadpool lately, and there are some Black Panther appearances in the comics.

Why the fuck is there no BP movie?

Kizer

I've been reading Deadpool lately, and there are some Black Panther appearances in the comics.

Rumor has it that while Marvel understands Panther has his fans, they aren't really sure yet how the general masses would take to him and they don't know if they want to take a risk with him yet. One could argue about the Guardians of the Galaxy being an even bigger risk, but they are a gateway to get to know Thanos better.

Recon

Banned
Rumor has it that while Marvel understands Panther has his fans, they aren't really sure yet how the general masses would take to him and they don't know if they want to take a risk with him yet. One could argue about the Guardians of the Galaxy being an even bigger risk, but they are a gateway to get to know Thanos better.

I think as long as GoTG doesnt bomb, they will take a risk with BP during the "3rd phase".

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
In the post credits sequence in Thor, Selvig is walking around SHIELD HQ. Loki is seen in Selvig's reflection, invisible to Fury and apparently already controlling Selvig. This scene seems to make no sense chronologically, unless we're supposed to believe Loki had already been back on earth somehow between the events of Thor and The Avengers. But then Loki could have had the cube right then and there as no one in SHIELD HQ could have stopped him from taking it.

And it references Asgard as being in another dimension, while The Avengers says Asgard is another planet, although that can probably be written off as a misunderstanding on Selvig's part (or on Fury's part in The Avengers).

Asgard's appearance also doesn't make visual sense. It looks like a sprawling city on top of an upside down mountain the middle of space surrounded by clouds - an unlikely shape for a "planet" in our universe, but who the hell knows what worlds look like in another dimension. Jotunheim looks like a planet in it's shape though. So maybe they're both in our universe, but Asgard is a special case, perhaps not a natural formation but an artificial world built by the Asgardians.

So when Thor refers to the "nine realms," what the hell is a "realm" in the MCU exactly? Planet? Galaxy? Dimension?

in the comics Asgard is another dimension, and of the 9 realms only SOME are of another planetoid. Asgard is just a kingdom, connected to the other realms. I believe the realm of the dead, jotunheim and ...one other the realm surtur is from are separate. In the movie they based their worldview of this ...on a quote "magic is just science we dont understand" and switched some things up...and had super advanced beings riding horses. Hopefully this will be abandoned, people accept the comics for the characters not the explanation of the powers.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Thor has another brother? He was never mentioned or seen ever in the first movie.

What the hell.

Cover_of_The_Mighty_Thor_-312.jpg

Kizer

in the comics Asgard is another dimension, and of the 9 realms only SOME are of another planetoid. Asgard is just a kingdom, connected to the other realms. I believe the realm of the dead, jotunheim and ...one other the realm surtur is from are separate. In the movie they based their worldview of this ...on a quote...and now its gonna be fucked and hopefully forgotten. If they want to make space vikings ...they should make eternals. So the realms were initially kingdoms/domains in the comics i dunno about the ultimate version though maybe they are planets in that one.

to add on this, the realm of the dead is known as Hel (not to be mistaken for the Hell you probably know). It is ruled by Hela (Norse's Hades, essentially) and is protected by Garm (their Cerberus. Only one head). There are multiple hells, by the way. Not in a Dante's inferno like way, but more like a Hell for every realm of being. Asgard has hell while midgard (earth) has hell and so on, so forth. I really find the more occult aspects of the Marvel universe to be the most interesting. That is just me, though.

I've only read a couple of issues of Thor, but I guess it makes sense.

I tried so desperately to find this one example I once had to show you what really happened and what Loki claimed had happened. I regret not saving it. In any case, Loki is the prince of lies. It is kind of his thing and why he happens to get along so well with those of a more...demonic flavor. Mephisto in particular.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Thor has another brother? He was never mentioned or seen ever in the first movie.

What the hell.

Thor has...3 brothers, loki by adoption, tyr the guy on the cover is a half brother, and Baulder another half brother i think. Thor is the only child that results from odins marriage to vanaheims all mother, the rest are from concubines/hand maidens/ redbones :p.

There might be another brother Odin got it in.

Slayven

Thor has...3 brothers, loki by adoption, tyr the guy on the cover is a half brother, and Baulder another half brother i think. Thor is the only child that results from odins marriage to vanaheims all mother, the rest are from concubines/hand maidens/ redbones :p.

There might be another brother Odin got it in.
In Marvel comics Thor's mom is Gaea. That is why Thor is stronger then his half brothers.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
GotG will only do "good" if Rocket Racoon is successfully transfered to live-action.

Visually, he's the core of the crew, he stands out. If he comes out corny and cheap, people will avoid like plague.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Because while people are fine with Asgardian gods and talking trees and raccoons and people who turn into green monsters when they get angry, it's too hard for Marvel to figure out how to put a nation of smart, technologically advanced black people in Africa on screen.

Resilient

Thanks for the heads up on Iron Patriot guys.

So hopeful for Thanos bein explored int GotG instead of just being thrown into Avengers 2.

Resilient

it has been stated that he will have some involvement in GotG. Can't say how much and what though.

I'm hyped. But very interested into how they incorporate Death into the movies, if it all. It seems way too "magicy" for Marvel. But if Dr Strange is anything to go by, I'm expecting anything at this point. Does the infinity ring stuff seen plausible to you guys, or do you think they'll stick to his origins?

Because while people are fine with Asgardian gods and talking trees and raccoons and people who turn into green monsters when they get angry, it's too hard for Marvel to figure out how to put a nation of smart, technologically advanced black people in Africa on screen.
Well let's be honest. Such a movie would have to be particularly careful about being sensitive and PC in it's portrayal of Wakanda. I mean we're talking about a property that has a villain called Man-Ape that is just a big black guy in a gorilla suit. Not to mention it would unfortunately have a limited appeal to the mainstream audience due to it most likely starring primarily black people (which is stupid, I know).

I feel like it would be best if Black Panther was introduced first in another one of the movies as a supporting character, then given his own film.

Kizer

I'm hyped. But very interested into how they incorporate Death into the movies, if it all. It seems way too "magicy" for Marvel. But if Dr Strange is anything to go by, I'm expecting anything at this point. Does the infinity ring stuff seen plausible to you guys, or do you think they'll stick to his origins?

Infinity Gems? Yes very much so.

Loki
had possession of the mind gem atop his staff, after all. It it what allowed him to mind control those around him

The Gauntlet was also in the Thor movie.

Well let's be honest. Such a movie would have to be particularly careful about being sensitive and PC in it's portrayal of Wakanda. I mean we're talking about a property that has a villain called Man-Ape that is just a big black guy in a gorilla suit. Not to mention it would unfortunately have a limited appeal to the mainstream audience due to it most likely starring primarily black people (which is stupid, I know).

I feel like it would be best if Black Panther was introduced first in another one of the movies as a supporting character, then given his own film.

Man ape did get to be in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon that you all should check out if you have not because it's actually the best marvel show since spectacular spider-man.

Resilient

Infinity Gems? Yes very much so.

Loki
had possession of the mind gem atop his staff, after all. It it what allowed him to mind control those around him

The Gauntlet was also in the Thor movie.

:lol Sweet Jesus. How did I miss all this stuff? I am so giddy for these movies now. Omg! I honestly thought they were gonna take a different direction. After all, Infinity Gauntlet/Wars are a much different direction compared to that of the MCU currently. I am really psyched for GotG now. Just hope Iron Man 3 doesn't take huge risks and sticks to the Extremis plot somewhat. Thanos is gonna be really sweet now. I still don't see them including Death though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

the enemy could be someone else then. While he could make a great appearance , that great appearance would well SHOULD be in FF4 ....thats not going to happen, must keep as much stuff as possible away from Fox's taint.

Kizer

I honestly don't see a Black Panther movie for a few years, if ever. I think it may depend on his popularity in Marvel Heroes.

well His name has been getting out there a bit more for what it is worth. He is mentioned by storm a lot and appears in her ending in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Is a main role in the Avengers cartoon, and he had his own short series funded by BET a little while back. I'd say his chances are pretty strong to appear eventually. I figured more so than Falcon, and look who is coming to the party.

Man ape did get to be in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon that you all should check out if you have not because it's actually the best marvel show since spectacular spider-man.
the enemy could be someone else then. While he could make a great appearance , that great appearance would well SHOULD be in FF4 ....thats not going to happen, must keep as much stuff as possible away from Fox's taint.
Yeah I'd suggest they use someone else lol. It works ok for cartoons (kind of) but imagine that in live action. I would think they would use Klaw or someone else trying to steal Vibranium from Wakanda. I guess it would depend on how Wakanda-centric you want the movie to be.

I honestly don't see a Black Panther movie for a few years, if ever. I think it may depend on his popularity in Marvel Heroes.
I feel like they've been trying to build him up as much as possible throughout most of Marvel's media. He's in pretty much every cartoon and video game and making him a staple of the Avengers on EMH is pretty much them saying they'd like him to be part of the MCU. I really do feel like they want to make it happen but again, it's not the easiest thing to do and may not even make financial sense.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

none of the other movies have been with popular marvel heroes. Sony has the license for the popular marvel hero, for our "superman" which is spiderman, and fox has our "batman" which is wolverine. And for this current generation of movie goers its even more pronounced, the past before 2005, marvel was dominated by these two properties and all things Xmen. Every single character even the hulk wasnt nearly as popular as he used to be after 20 years of xmen and spiderman / wolverine being by far the most popular properties at marvel. People trying to equate the success of these films with some kind of general popularity are nuts. There are just decades of comics fans out there that know about these characters. But mass market wise ALLLLLLLL of their movies past, proposed or in developement now are with properties that could bow down to the Xmen/spiderman/wolverine in overall popularity.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Moreover, how to avoid political connections and connotations. That shit is a nightmare because no matter how clean you keep it there will always be some dumbass on Fox News who will slander it to the uneducafed masses.

So has any of the higher ups ever floated the idea or suggestion between the various studios of a profit sharing deal to say allow a licence to use X-Men, FF or Spider in an Avengers movie?

Moreover, how to avoid political connections and connotations. That shit is a nightmare because no matter how clean you keep it there will always be some dumbass on Fox News who will slander it to the uneducafed masses.

How/when was Black Panther created by Marvel? I always figured it was some relation, before I read comics with him in it and it was clearly obvious it wasn't.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

you SHOULD'nt try to avoid geo politics. thats what can make it interesting.

an African country with draconian control over its natural resources....MADNESS!!!

Kizer

So has any of the higher ups ever floated the idea or suggestion between the various studios of a profit sharing deal to say allow a licence to use X-Men, FF or Spider in an Avengers movie?

The only thing close to this that was announced to the public was marvel offering fox a deal. They wanted the rights back to the Fantastic Four (specifically Galactus and Silver Surfer) and in return they would give them more time with Daredevil. Fox declined the offer and decided to continue making their FF reboot movie. Marvel should have Daredevil back now. While its a shame we won't have a Surfer movie anytime soon it seems, I am pretty cool with the idea of a Daredevil movie on the horizon. Could use more street level love

I doubt anyone wants to actually "share" the rights for anything because that means sharing the profit.

I think they did talk about a possible Spider-Man cameo of some kind for Avengers. Not sure if it was as small as an Oscorp logo or as big as an actual cameo but either way they couldn't figure it out in time. So the possibility is there but I wouldn't expect anything beyond cameo appearances and I'd imagine Marvel would want to be careful about introducing that stuff in to it's own continuity.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Yeah I'd suggest they use someone else lol. It works ok for cartoons (kind of) but imagine that in live action. I would think they would use Klaw or someone else trying to steal Vibranium from Wakanda. I guess it would depend on how Wakanda-centric you want the movie to be.

Yeah, it's kinda like how they're toning down the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 from his stereotypical Fu Manchu portrayal in the comics.

The only thing close to this that was announced to the public was marvel offering fox a deal. They wanted the rights back to the Fantastic Four (specifically Galactus and Silver Surfer) and in return they would give them more time with Daredevil. Fox declined the offer and decided to continue making their FF reboot movie. Marvel should have Daredevil back now. While its a shame we won't have a Surfer movie anytime soon it seems, I am pretty cool with the idea of a Daredevil movie on the horizon. Could use more street level love

I doubt anyone wants to actually "share" the rights for anything because that means sharing the profit.

Well it's not so much sharing as a licencing agreement. Marvel pays an amount for the characters to appear in their film, doesn't effect the studios on plans (think of it as multiple comic imprints for a character) and the studio gets money for it.

I mean seriously is that any other logical way that Spiderman, FF, or the X-Men will just revert back to Marvel/Disney?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

an African country with draconian control over its natural resources....MADNESS!!!
I think to continue the broad appeal of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brand, concessions will have to be made to some degree.

Regardless, I'm not saying remove it completely, as it can definitely be a good thing for story, but they will have to make it clear it's not some political message brought to you by Marvel for the uneducated. A humorous quip or something in the first trailer or something could accomplish this.

I think they did talk about a possible Spider-Man cameo of some kind for Avengers. Not sure if it was as small as an Oscorp logo or as big as an actual cameo but either way they couldn't figure it out in time. So the possibility is there but I wouldn't expect anything beyond cameo appearances and I'd imagine Marvel would want to be careful about introducing that stuff in to it's own continuity.

Even that would be nice, but as I said, you can have two continuities at once, think of multiple imprints. Also for Fox/Sony it means free publicity for their movie character while they have projects on the backburner.

I think to continue the broad appeal of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brand, concessions will have to be made to some degree.
PG-13 Punisher....goes to cry in a corner.

Yeah, the possibilities for a Black Panther movie are extremely fresh, not just from a superhero movie POV but from just any movie POV really. There isn't really anything else out there like it.

Kizer

Well it's not so much sharing as a licencing agreement. Marvel pays an amount for the characters to appear in their film, doesn't effect the studios on plans (think of it as multiple comic imprints for a character) and the studio gets money for it.

I mean seriously is that any other logical way that Spiderman, FF, or the X-Men will just revert back to Marvel/Disney?

But that only works if the other party is willing to sell.

License, Sell, it doesn't matter. Both parties need to want to do it.
Well there is a huge difference in that in one a studio gives up the rights (not happening) and the other is allowing an appearance. I agree both parties need to want it, BUT Marvel does, and the others studios want money (and so does Marvel). So a mutual desire is there. lol

Honestly, all of that is good. Do not miss annihilation and Thanos imperative though. If you can get it all though, I really think you should.
I get them all and Thanos won't be the only one courting death. lol

LosDaddie

Banned
none of the other movies have been with popular marvel heroes. Sony has the license for the popular marvel hero, for our "superman" which is spiderman, and fox has our "batman" which is wolverine. And for this current generation of movie goers its even more pronounced, the past before 2005, marvel was dominated by these two properties and all things Xmen. Every single character even the hulk wasnt nearly as popular as he used to be after 20 years of xmen and spiderman / wolverine being by far the most popular properties at marvel. People trying to equate the success of these films with some kind of general popularity are nuts. There are just decades of comics fans out there that know about these characters. But mass market wise ALLLLLLLL of their movies past, proposed or in developement now are with properties that could bow down to the Xmen/spiderman/wolverine in overall popularity.

Popularity with the general, non-comic-reading masses due to a variety of reasons including successful cartoons, and limited live-action TV show runs. It made funding proper movies possible. Same goes for the DC superheroes.

But the casual comic book reader definitely knew of Iron Man, Capt America, and Thor. And now the Avengers are Marvel's biggest IP.

Indeed. It's a tight rope Marvel has to walk with BP if they want him in MCU.

NeonZ

How/when was Black Panther created by Marvel? I always figured it was some relation, before I read comics with him in it and it was clearly obvious it wasn't.

He started as a Fantastic Four supporting character, before making a few other guest appearances and becoming an Avenger. Only around 7 years after his creation, he finally got to star in a comic of his own.

Considering his publication history, I don't see why they even had plans to push him out on his own right at the start. It seems like that starting him as a secondary character in an Avengers or Avengers related movie would be the most natural option for him.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Oscorp Tower was to be in the Manhattan skyline, but Sony delivered the final designs too late.

Top Bottom