• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Fox still has Daredevil for another 2 weeks. Since it wasn't mentioned in the press release (and since Rothman is now out at Fox), I guess I can stop thinking that they're going to churn out a "movie" on the cheap to retain the rights.
Daredevil is as good as Marvel's now if it isn't already. The fact that Joe Carnahan's take is dead means they won't be able to have anything in production in time.

TDLink

Fox still has Daredevil for another 2 weeks. Since it wasn't mentioned in the press release (and since Rothman is now out at Fox), I guess I can stop thinking that they're going to churn out a "movie" on the cheap to retain the rights.

The date is October 10th but it is literally impossible for FOX to churn out a daredevil film in 2 weeks. Even "on the cheap". They have already conceded that the property is going back to Marvel. It is a 100% certainty now.

noah111

Still Alive
Meh, it's a shame that the rights finally revert and marvel has their hands waaay to full to put any work into churning out a new daredevil movie.. We won't see anything of it for many years if it reverts.

Bitter sweet I suppose.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Any news on the possible Fantastic Four reboot? I know they have a director attached but nothing else. They have two years before it falls back into Marvel's hands.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Any news on the possible Fantastic Four reboot? I know they have a director attached but nothing else. They have two years before it falls back into Marvel's hands.
Two years? It'll get made. This Mark Millar announcement all but confirms that, in my opinion.

Nesotenso

I think the Millar hire has a lot to do with the Rothman leaving Fox and the execs looking at the success of the Avengers. I hope everything at Fox crashes and burns.

Slayven

I think the Millar hire has a lot to do with the Rothman leaving Fox and the execs looking at the success of the Avengers. I hope everything at Fox crashes and burns.

With Millar it has a good shot at doing just that. Love to sit in on the meetings though. Where he asks them how they feel about through babies out windows.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Alright Mark, what do you suggest?"
"We need a scene of Magento raping a female member of the X-Men. Preferably a younger one"
"... Why?"
"Rape = Drama, duh"
"... I think we made a mistake"

Nesotenso

Why? Don't you want more good comic adaptations?

Millar has been shit for a long time. If Kick ass was adapted exactly like the comic it wouldn't been the surprise succes that it was. His Ultimates only influenced The Avengers and if you did a faithful adaptation of that there would be no 1.5 billion. The guy loves writing about dicks in costumes. This whole Nemesis BS ? I wonder if anyone working on the film version has read the stupid comic.

Slayven

"We need a scene of Magento raping a female member of the X-Men. Preferably a younger one"
"... Why?"
"Rape = Drama, duh"

"Get this, Johnny and Sue are having an affair behind Reed's back."
"Aren't they brother and sister?"
"Exactly why it works."

sharbhund

After the success of Avengers, it looks like all the studios are looking to bring in comic writers. There was a rumor posted on Bleeding Cool a few days ago that WB was going to have Frank Miller work on Justice League:

Undercover Warner Bros marketing people walk into a comic shop. Stop me if you’ve heard this one. The name of the shop has been removed to protect the guilty.

They entered posing as fans, but it was obvious to staff by the time they finished their first question that they were not. And about half way through they abandoned all pretence and were asking questions like “what superhero films have had good Facebook pages?”, “Do you think comic fans would accept a superhero film without Nolan’s involvement, would him serving as a producer suffice?” “What do fans think of Aquaman? He’s lame isn’t he?”, “What is regarded as the strongest lineup of the Justice League and would work as a film?” boiling right down to “What should DC do film wise?”

They asked for comics that best represented how the fans perceived the Justice League. One of them was wearing a box fresh Batman T-shirt – it still had the wrapping crease marks. They knew nothing about comics but corrected a member of staff on the year the Justice League film was due, 2014, not 2013. They mocked the Ant Man movie and looked a bit worried when they were assured by staff it was probably going to be all right.

And they looked glum when they were told DC should “just do what Marvel have done”.

The biggest give away for the staff was when they asked what impact films had on comics sales. The staff replied that it was very little, unless it was an unknown character. Their immediate response was “Oh, like Jonah Hex” which didn’t fit with the rest of their limited knowledge – and they didn’t seem aware that the Green Lantern and Jonah Hex movies were not well regarded.

The staff explained how Marvel could make a movie out of any character but because it would tie into the bigger picture, it stood a greater chance of success. The interlopers were really interested in what obscure characters were related to the League… and then they asked the big one.

“What would fan reaction be to a Justice League movie with Frank Miller’s name attached?”

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
"... Why?"
"Rape = Drama, duh"

Mark Millar would have Magneto form a dildo out of the metal in his victims blood if something like Nemesis is an indication.

Did someone say Mark Milliar?

Good god, no!

With Millar it has a good shot at doing just that. Love to sit in on the meetings though. Where he asks them how they feel about through babies out windows.

"... Why?"
"Rape = Drama, duh"

"Exactly why it works."

LMAO! At what point will someone exactly ask Mark Millar, "WTF is wrong with you?!" Or did someone finally ask and they got scared by the answers?

KevinCow

Banned
"Exactly why it works."

What? This didn't actually happen, right?

Also on that comic shop story, it's amazing how completely out of touch the people who are in charge of those decisions are.

Quick

Banned
Yeah.....good luck with that one WB.

"Okay, guys, we need to bring in comic writers. Let's all write down ones we know, and we'll go from there."

*a few minutes later*

"OKay, let's see them."

FRANK MILLER, FRANK MILLER, FRANK MILLER, FRANK MILLER...etc.

"He wrote Sin City! It was so edgy and cool! Then he wrote and directed The Spirit! So unique and edgy!"

"Well, I'm sold."

Isn't it amazing how these billion dollar studios don't have the ability to know which comic creators are great and which ones are hacks? Like for example, it took a giant box office bomb/turd of a movie in the form of The Spirit for studios to realize that okay, Frank Miller is actually a crazy person who should not be given free reign over a project. Any comic book fan who is in touch with the artform in its current state could have advised them against it, but then how do you hire a person like that? You randomly hire a big name in the industry is how, and in the case of Fox they picked the wrong fucking number so this cycle of cluelessness will continue for at least awhile. I find this shit fascinating. In other words, all the money in the world can't buy good judgement.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not Johnny and Sue, but Quiksilver and Scarlet Witch. Millar's Ultimate X-Men had an incest plot between the two of them.

Pretty sure that was Jeph Loeb, at least I think he started it in Ultimates 3. Could be that Millar hinted at it, but Loeb was super overt about it.

Pretty sure that was Jeph Loeb, at least I think he started it in Ultimates 3. Could be that Millar hinted at it, but Loeb was super overt about it.

Ah, I just read it on GAF, could remember the plot but not the specifics. Probably wasn't even Ultimate X-Men, now I think about it.

Isn't it amazing how these billion dollar studios don't have the ability to know which comic creators are great and which ones are hacks? Like for example, it took a giant box office bomb/turd of a movie in the form of The Spirit for studios to realize that okay, Frank Miller is actually a crazy person who should not be given free reign over a project. Any comic book fan who is in touch with the artform in its current state could have advised them against it, but then how do you hire a person like that? You randomly hire a big name in the industry is how, and in the case of Fox they picked the wrong fucking number so this cycle of cluelessness will continue for at least awhile. I find this shit fascinating. In other words, all the money in the world can't buy good judgement.

Fox is notorious in the industry for shitting all over their properties

T Dollarz

A nice fan art, some great avatars for anyone that wants 'em.

b14e6b9e1c8f121f92df14d3da1d126d-d30lm93.jpg

Fox is notorious in the industry for shitting all over their properties

Believe me I know, as a longtime comic fan they have broken my heart on many occasions.

My point was that they need someone like Joss Whedon or Kevin Feige, but instead they made the mistake of hiring Mark fucking Millar. Which ironically is a decision born of the very cluelessness that they were trying to address by hiring a consultant in the first place.

It's a really weird choice considering they can't do with it what it was meant for in the comics. Without knowing the narrative intentions, it comes off as kinda random and silly.

Mariolee

Seeing as how I'm not exactly proficient in comics, does the Iron Patriot armor confirm some sort of Captain America cameo in the film? Or is this something completely different?

Top Bottom