• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Resilient

If Marvel honestly want Black Panther in his own feature, they are going to have to incorporate him into one of the established IPs first. Like has been said, the content of a Black Panther is very "out there", both in regards to the MCU and current movie landscape. Ask yourselves, do you honestly see a Black panther movie working in the current landscape? As much as I would LOVE to see it, I just don't :(

Resilient

Bear in mind, what seems simple from a comic book fans point of view is ver different to the mainstream Marvel fans point of view. A Black Panther movie would have to be very different to the current MCU standard. Phase 3 seems realistic IMO.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Popularity with the general, non-comic-reading masses due to a variety of reasons including successful cartoons, and limited live-action TV show runs. It made funding proper movies possible. Same goes for the DC superheroes.

But the casual comic book reader definitely knew of Iron Man, Capt America, and Thor. And now the Avengers are Marvel's biggest IP.

Indeed. It's a tight rope Marvel has to walk with BP if they want him in MCU.

im sorry what made hulk , iron man, thor, hawkeye , or BW more popular in the 2000's? ill answer that nothing. With comic book fans , whom i already accounted for in my original post, the avengers came back in a big way in the 2000's with Busiek / perez and then with Avengers Disassembled onward into Civ War and Secrect Inv etc etc. In the COMIC BOOK world yes they were back. But nothing was bigger than spiderman / xmen in mass media....nothing. Ironman became big time to the non comicbook fan in 2007, cap and thor in 2011, hulk returned to his place he used to enjoy this year. Again most of us in this thread are comic book fans so our point of view is different. But its evident that from comics to commercials Spiderman/Xmen/wolverine have been the most bankable properties at marvel until now , nothing came close, and it wasnt for lack of trying. For the past 30 years its been Xmen/spiderman/wolverine, for the past 5 months its been avengers, because marvel made them so with execution, not because they FINALLY, FINALLY gave in and gave what EVERYONE EVERYWHERE comic book fan or not, were begging for because they were truly the heavy hitters and most loved characters at marvel. Nope.

The original statement was marvel wouldnt make a BP move because he wasnt well known, and I felt thats not the issue considering Blade, Cap, Thor, Ironman and the Avengers all were able to go from very small general population awareness (none in blades case) to the big kids on the block.

This might be my favorite description of Wakanda yet.

Best description I could think of. lol

The original statement was marvel wouldnt make a BP move because he wasnt well known, and I felt thats not the issue considering Blade, Cap, Thor, Ironman and the Avengers all were able to go from very small general population awareness (none in blades case) to the big kids on the block.
Blade was done by New Line Cinema and didn't cost a ton of money. It was something done more in the "old approach" to a comic movie.

LosDaddie

Banned
im sorry what made hulk , iron man, thor, hawkeye , or BW more popular in the 2000's? ill answer that nothing. With comic book fans , whom i already accounted for in my original post, the avengers came back in a big way in the 2000's with Busiek / perez and then with Avengers Disassembled onward into Civ War and Secrect Inv etc etc. In the COMIC BOOK world yes they were back. But nothing was bigger than spiderman / xmen in mass media....nothing. Ironman became big time to the non comicbook fan in 2007, cap and thor in 2011, hulk returned to his place he used to enjoy this year. Again most of us in this thread are comic book fans so our point of view is different. But its evident that from comics to commercials Spiderman/Xmen/wolverine have been the most bankable properties at marvel until now , nothing came close, and it wasnt for lack of trying. For the past 30 years its been Xmen/spiderman/wolverine, for the past 5 months its been avengers, because marvel made them so with execution, not because they FINALLY, FINALLY gave in and gave what EVERYONE EVERYWHERE comic book fan or not, were begging for because they were truly the heavy hitters and most loved characters at marvel. Nope.

I....I think we're on the same page here.

What made each Avenger more popular in the 2000s was the backbone (and talent) to finally make a good movie for IM/Hulk/Capt/Thor. The first IM movie was the big gamble, and it paid off big time.

ReiGun

Ask yourselves, do you honestly see a Black panther movie working in the current landscape? As much as I would LOVE to see it, I just don't :(
This right here is why I'm pretty much over it. Marvel may be wanting to do it, but with Hollywood the way it is, I don't see it happening.

Yeah, isn't he smarter than Tony Stark or is it on par?

Tony is the smarter of the two, I believe. Both are in the top 10 of Marvel's big brains.

Planet Hulk (and then possibly World War Hulk) seems like a good direction they good go in for the next Hulk film(s). I don't expect them to leave Hulk out of Avengers 2 given his popularity in the first one though.

What I meant was that everyone comes back from the final battle. Use Hulk getting trapped in space from the climactic battle with Thanos for his reason to be stranded on Sakaar instead of the Illuminati blasting him into space.

J10

Banned
If Marvel honestly want Black Panther in his own feature, they are going to have to incorporate him into one of the established IPs first. Like has been said, the content of a Black Panther is very "out there", both in regards to the MCU and current movie landscape. Ask yourselves, do you honestly see a Black panther movie working in the current landscape? As much as I would LOVE to see it, I just don't :(

My president is black.

FS was sold out of the steel cases by the time I got there after class :(

Got a 4 disc edition for... some reason. I dunno. But looking forward to watching it again!

strobogo

Banned
My president is black.

Yes. I don't think the concept of Black Panther is any more "out there" than any of the other Avengers. Especially Thor. People can accept a demi-god from a different realm who is a living mythology character, but they wouldn't be able to handle black Batman who runs is own small country? I don't buy that shit for a second. A GOTG movie can be made, but Black Panther is too out there? Bullshit. BP is awesome. Americans can handle a black super hero, even if the name is Black Panther. The Black Panthers have no meaning in America anymore and haven't for decades. No one gives a shit about that. It's just people being afraid that a black hero can't make money.

Yes. I don't think the concept of Black Panther is any more "out there" than any of the other Avengers. Especially Thor. People can accept a demi-god from a different realm who is a living mythology character, but they wouldn't be able to handle black Batman who runs is own small country? I don't buy that shit for a second. A GOTG movie can be made, but Black Panther is too out there? Bullshit. BP is awesome. Americans can handle a black super hero, even if the name is Black Panther. The Black Panthers have no meaning in America anymore and haven't for decades. No one gives a shit about that. It's just people being afraid that a black hero can't make money.

From what lil I know of BP he seems nothing like Batman ...

And I think there's more to it than "what, people can't handle a "black" super hero?!?". I would be far more interested in seeing a NextWave movie than a BP film :/

But hey, I can't wrap my head around why ANYONE thinks it's a good idle to make an Ant-Man movie so w/e ...

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Just expect FOX News to jump all over a Black Panther-movie without providing context.

Well this is sort of the main problem. And it's not so much that the Black Panther is black. It's more that half of, if not most of, the supporting cast would probably be black as well. Blade proved you can have a successful black superhero franchise but how many other black people are in the Blade movies? That's why it would probably be better to introduce him in someone else's movie.

Resilient

Well this is sort of the main problem. And it's not so much that the Black Panther is black, it's more that half of, if not most of, the supporting cast would probably be black as well. Blade proved you can have a successful black superhero franchise but how many other black people are in the Blade movies? That's why it would probably be better to introduce him in someone else's movie.

This is pretty much how I see it, as fucking stupid as it is :(

Tobor

Well this is sort of the main problem. And it's not so much that the Black Panther is black. It's more that half of, if not most of, the supporting cast would probably be black as well. Blade proved you can have a successful black superhero franchise but how many other black people are in the Blade movies? That's why it would probably be better to introduce him in someone else's movie.

Take it a step further. It's that the bulk of the supporting cast would be Africans, in an African nation.

If Black Panther took place in New York with a predominant black cast, I think it would have been green-lit already.

noah111

Still Alive
As far as black panther goes, I sort of expect some easter eggs to be dropped into CA2 about that. We already had the small easter edd in IM2, and the character is almost certain to enter the mcu at some point.

I disagree with the improbability of BP being able to hold a film on his own. It's definitely possible, although it would need to have a deep connection to the modern world/shield and not be a movie that takes place in this weird tribal african high tech world cut off from the mcu. It could definitely work if done right, and I think we're overstating how much of an improbability it would be based solely on the fact that it would have a primarily all black cast.

ZoddGutts

Since Marvel Studios now has Blade movie rights, how bout a Blade and Black Panther team up! They can start filming in July 19, 2013 when Wesley Snipes gets out of jail.

Considering Joss motherfucking Whedon pulled of one of the biggest goddamn miracles of the decade with the Avengers, I'll say anything's fucking possible, in regards to BP film.

mjc

Do the Nova Corps even have spaceships shaped like the star on their helmets? That's the only thing I can think of in terms of what Roger is referencing.

Do the Nova Corps even have spaceships shaped like the star on their helmets? That's the only thing I can think of in terms of what Roger is referencing.
They don't (at least not up to the point I read) but they look too much like Nova stars to not be a reference. I wouldn't be surprised if they redesigned them though since the Nova ships look a little goofy in the comics.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Don't know if this deserves its own thread, but is Fox creating its own cinematic universe?

20th Century Fox Taps Mark Millar to Consult on Marvel Adaptations

Marking an expanded commitment to some of its most important franchises, Twentieth Century Fox has brought on comics superstar Mark Millar to serve as a creative consultant on the studio’s upcoming projects based on Marvel Comics properties.

Millar wrote several celebrated Marvel books such as The Ultimates, Civil War and Wolverine: Old Man Logan, before moving on to found Millarworld (millarworld.tv), where he continues to develop existing film franchise titles Wanted and Kick-Ass, as well as newer comic properties The Secret Service, Superior, and Nemesis — the latter also in development at Fox. Millar will work with Fox on developing new avenues for its "X-Men" and "Fantastic Four" tentpoles.

TDLink

Don't know if this deserves its own thread, but is Fox creating its own cinematic universe?

20th Century Fox Taps Mark Millar to Consult on Marvel Adaptations

All Fox has at this point is X-men, which is its own universe, and Fantastic Four. At best they can incorporate the F4 into X-men somehow, or use a X-men villain in a F4 movie since they didn't license very many of them. There's no way they can create a whole "Cinematic universe" on just these two properties though (apart from all the X-men films being in the same one, which they already do).

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
All Fox has at this point is X-men, which is its own universe, and Fantastic Four. At best they can incorporate the F4 into X-men somehow, or use a X-men villain in a F4 movie since they didn't license very many of them. There's no way they can create a whole "Cinematic universe" on just these two properties though (apart from all the X-men films being in the same one, which they already do).

Yeah, it's really a pity that Marvel/Disney doesn't have the rights to the FF, as they are a perfect fit for the MCU, especially with the cosmic direction they're going. Silver Surfer and Galactus would have been awesome additions.

sharbhund

Fox still has Daredevil for another 2 weeks. Since it wasn't mentioned in the press release (and since Rothman is now out at Fox), I guess I can stop thinking that they're going to churn out a "movie" on the cheap to retain the rights.

Fox still has Daredevil for another 2 weeks. Since it wasn't mentioned in the press release (and since Rothman is now out at Fox), I guess I can stop thinking that they're going to churn out a "movie" on the cheap to retain the rights.

I thought the rights would revert in September. What is the real date?

Top Bottom