• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Fox1304

Seeing as how I'm not exactly proficient in comics, does the Iron Patriot armor confirm some sort of Captain America cameo in the film? Or is this something completely different?

In comics, the Iron Patriot armor is a Stark armor stolen, redesigned, and used by Norman Osborn when he basically takes control of the world, becoming the head of SHIELD and other various entities.

RichieS99

Banned
To make things easier on you guys;

VrScQ.png

ksxFb.png

fScSD.png

Y3B9u.png

CgcZF.png

lhEab.png

QDIj3.png

4nzfb.png

fm6Nw.png

kmqns.png

udHDn.png

wxm5B.png

Thanks Man, I will be having the Thor one!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They sure are using a lot of full practical suit shots on the next IM. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that we're not working on it. Hopefully the CG suits look good.

Kizer

Seeing as how I'm not exactly proficient in comics, does the Iron Patriot armor confirm some sort of Captain America cameo in the film? Or is this something completely different?

No it does not. To give the the long story short, it took place during the dark reign story arc. For reasons seen at the end of the secret invasion story arc before it, Norman Osborne is loved and trusted again. He is given Tony Stark's job and basically makes up his team of Avengers. The majority of said Avengers are actually villains that he felt he could control in some way/shape/form and he had them dressed up like previous Avengers to fool the public. Bullseye was Hawkeye, Daken was Wolverine, Venom was Spider-man, Moonstone was Mrs Marvel, etc, etc.

He himself went into Ironman's armor storage and gave it the stars and stripes paint job. He was going to represent what the "Knight" and the "Soldier" did. You will not be seeing this story at all in Ironman 3

Pachimari

Seems I have only seen Iron-Man, Thor and The Avengers of the Marvel Universe films.
I gotta see Iron-Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America as well before the sequels.

Would it be possible for Marvel to incorporate the likes of DareDevil, Punisher and Black Panther into an eventual The Avengers 3? I don't think they would be able to blend them together, their universes are too different?

ReiGun

Would it be possible for Marvel to incorporate the likes of DareDevil, Punisher and Black Panther into an eventual The Avengers 3? I don't think they would be able to blend them together, their universes are too different?

Black Panther would be the most likely of the three, given his long history as an Avenger in the comics.

Punisher wouldn't fit at all on a team like the Avengers.

Daredevil...I think they'll add him, but I personally would rather they didn't.

Pachimari

Black Panther would be the most likely of the three, given his long history as an Avenger in the comics.

Punisher wouldn't fit at all on a team like the Avengers.

Daredevil...I think they'll add him, but I personally would rather they didn't.

Why is that? Just curiosity. =)

JdFoX187

Banned
The characters also don't have to be part of the core Avengers team. They could just show up in the movies for story purposes. I remember reading a rumor that Frank Castle was going to be in the new Captain America film, but I imagine that was just fan wankery.

ReiGun

Why is that? Just curiosity. =)

I just think DD doesn't really "fit." Even though he is an Avenger in the comics now, I just don't think the team is really his style. I like him hanging on his own in Hell's Kitchen, working with local heroes like Spidey on occasion.

Plus, his addition would add another "martial arts guy with minimal powers", of which we already have quite a few.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Joss Whedon presents Shadowland, do it.

So Marvel gets DareDevil back and the first thing they do is assassinate the character?
Thats like saying as soon as Marvel wanted to get shit popping with IronMan they should have started with Civil War.

Not Shadowland not any time soon, heck not ever....im sure most of us would rather imagine Shadowland just never happened.

The best thing about Shadowland was it gave us DareDevil: Reborn.

You want to make a good movie, start from DareDevil: Reborn, we dont need the whole origin(again) just start it here.
The opening of the movie can tell the whole life story the same way that brilliant opening montage of Wolverine did.......do the first few chapters of Reborn then have him hit up a crazy New York

Mark 47 and Iron Patriot armors:
WEgjX.jpg

What armor is the Iron Patriot armor based off?
That doesnt look like the Mark 1 from Iron Man 2.....anyone have inside information about how and/or why this armor pops up?

We don't really know the details about the film version. The Iron Patriot in the comics was an older armor confiscated by Norman Osborne (The Green Goblin). Since he can't appear in MCU films, we don't know the specific reason why it's being used in this movie.

In the books it was less powerful than Stark's armor. It was an older model and Osborne replaced the repulsor tech with the Unibeam hardware because he didn't have the technical expertise to make use of the more powerful weapons.

Tobor

We don't really know the details about the film version. The Iron Patriot in the comics was an older armor confiscated by Norman Osborne (The Green Goblin). Since he can't appear in MCU films, we don't know the specific reason why it's being used in this movie.

In the books it was less powerful than Stark's armor. It was an older model and Osborne replaced the repulsor tech with the Unibeam hardware because he didn't have the technical expertise to make use of the more powerful weapons.

I thought it was already confirmed that the Iron Patriot armor is the new War Machine armor. It's Rhodes in there.

Black_Stride

Yeah yeah, Dark Reign and Siege are my favorite events in recent Marvel history, more so than even AvX.
But im curious about this armor in this universe.

I thought it was already confirmed that the Iron Patriot armor is the new War Machine armor. It's Rhodes in there.

Ahhh, but its not a repainting of the Mark 1 right, cuz it looks vastly different....I forget the end of Iron Man 2 didnt Rhodes like run away with the War Machine armor or something?

So did the military repaint and respec the War Machine armor?

noah111

Still Alive
They sure are using a lot of full practical suit shots on the next IM. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that we're not working on it. Hopefully the CG suits look good.
Wait wait wait. WHAT?

[edit] I'm quite clueless as to how it all works, what's the 'bidding' process? I would just assume that if you did an amazing job in one movie, they'd have you back on for another..

shira

Wait wait wait. WHAT?

[edit] I'm quite clueless as to how it all works, what's the 'bidding' process? I would just assume that if you did an amazing job in one movie, they'd have you back on for another..
Outsourced to China ILM

Haha even Jarvis is a real person now.
paul-bettany-670x350.jpg

Wait wait wait. WHAT?

That's what I thought, too. ILM did a fantastic job on IM1 and 2. It'd make sense for you guys to do IM3

Tobor

.Ahhh, but its not a repainting of the Mark 1 right, cuz it looks vastly different....I forget the end of Iron Man 2 didnt Rhodes like run away with the War Machine armor or something?

So did the military repaint and respec the War Machine armor?

Yeah. Rhodes kept the suit at the end of IM 2. I'd assume there is a story element that explains the new paint job and upgrades.

Nizz

Maybe it's been mentioned before but how the hell is Stark up to Mark 47 as far as armors? In Avengers the last armor he wears was a Mark 7, no?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait wait wait. WHAT?

Studios rarely enter multi-film contracts with VFX houses. Each project goes out for bid separately.

Some basic descriptions on how the whole process works:

VFX Bidding and Preproduction
Budgeting VFX

Black_Stride

Maybe it's been mentioned before but how the hell is Stark up to Mark 47 as far as armors? In Avengers the last armor he wears was a Mark 7, no?
Maybe the 47 means something else than what number in the line it is?

Unless im mistaken this suit is akin to when Iron Man used his techno powers to control multiple Iron Man armors.

So there are possibly 40 other Armors that Iron Man will be controlling using the Mark 47.
An army of Iron Men to fuck shit up.....i wonder if he will keep the ability for The Avengers 2?

Beth Cyra

Wait Rhodey is in Iron Partiot?

That makes me kinda sad. I love the basic black/grey and War Machine name so I was hoping they would just keep him in that.

Black_Stride

Wait Rhodey is in Iron Partiot?

That makes me kinda sad. I love the basic black/grey and War Machine name so I was hoping they would just keep him in that.

Was he ever called the War Machine in Iron Man 2 even in the credits i dont think theres any mention of War Machine.

Also, is it confirmed he is called the Iron Patriot?
Couldnt he still be called War Machine while having this paint job?

Beth Cyra

Was he ever called the War Machine in Iron Man 2 even in the credits i dont think theres any mention of War Machine.

He certainly could.

Also I don't think he was ever given a Hero name in movie. The closest thing was Tony asking him if he wanted to be a War Machine. The line was most certainly created to be a name drop but if he offically gets it as a title I don't know.

They did however use it for all the marketing stuff and all his toys so I had hoped the name would be offical as far in universe goes.

S1kkZ

wtf???
ilm did an amazing job with the iron man suits (and other effects), why change now?

Tobor

He's never officially called War Machine. Tony mentions it almost as an insult in a line of dialogue.

Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes: [aiming their repulsar beams at each other] Put your hand down.

Tony Stark: You think you got what it takes to wear that suit?

Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes: We don't have to do this, Tony.

Tony Stark: You wanna be the War Machine, take your shot.

S1kkZ

Cheaper budgets. Or at least, they're hoping.

oh boy...this will bite them in the ass. scanline is a good studio, but no chance in hell they can produce visuals on the level of the iron man suits in 1,2 or avengers.
i hope the effects are not as bad as in captain america...

i really hope ilm will be back for avengers 2 or iron man 4.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
In honor of the new IM3 photos, I'll take the Iron Man avatar.

Tony Stark calls Rhodes "The War Machine" during their fight in the mansion.

Also, Marvel copyrighted the name "Iron Patriot" just for the film.

J10

Banned
oh boy...this will bite them in the ass. scanline is a good studio, but no chance in hell they can produce visuals on the level of the iron man suits in 1,2 or avengers.
i hope the effects are not as bad as in captain america...

40 Iron Men, Mandarin, Radioactive Man, Firepower, Coldblood, War Machine, plus Downey's newly inflated pay rate. The budget probably blew up and they had to cut corners somewhere. Could still be good though.

Vega

Deadline is reporting Scarlett Johansson will be in Captain America 2. Also the following actresses are in the running to play Cap's love interest.

• Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
• Jessica Brown Findlay (Downton Abbey)
• Teresa Palmer (I Am Number Four)
• Imogen Poots (Fright Night)
• Alison Brie (Mad Men, Community)

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

Top Bottom