• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

ReiGun

Which is just audiences would have a hard time accepting a nation of advance black people. You will probably see Gorilla Grodd and Apecity before Wakanda on the silver screen. I am not mad or even disappointed.

Same here. Like I said, it's all just jokes at this point.

Also, we are long overdue for a talking primate villain in a superhero movie, considering how many DC and Marvel have running around.

ReiGun

I still want to know what TV shows people are watching.

But then, I never studied film, so they probably know more than I do.

J10

Banned
I do not get it at all, he has good moments here and there but I do not understand the hard on that Gaf has for him.
I especially do not see it being a commercially viable option, as it would either come off to the average movie goer as a black Batman rip off or they would try and go into Wakanda and the history of the character and it would come off as cheesy.
It is something that GAF wants but I do not think that they have thought through.

You sound like a wannabe studio executive. Unless you've got money invested, who gives a shit whether they can sell it or not as long as it's good. People who want to see it obviously like the character and the stories.

Hex

Banned
They should do a Marvel Knights film line. Low budget films featuring characters that don't need super duper effects. Sleepwalker, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Heroes for Hire, etc. They can do them for 25 mil a pop and make a profit.

I like the cut of your jib sir.

mandarin.jpg

Cant wait to see the trailer tomorrow.

ironman3poster.jpg

Aske

They should do a Marvel Knights film line. Low budget films featuring characters that don't need super duper effects. Sleepwalker, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Heroes for Hire, etc. They can do them for 25 mil a pop and make a profit.

I wonder if they are planning more Marvel Knights movies. Punisher: Warzone and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance were reasonably well received, though I only cared for the former.

I think Black Panther will end up in the mainline MCU. Seriously. I don't think an African ninja with tech powers is that hard to differentiate from Batman, despite a somewhat similar costume. Drop the 'Black' from his name, and he's an easy sell. I actually think we're more likely to see T'challa in the MCU than Ms Marvel.

I think Black Panther will end up in the mainline MCU. Seriously. I don't think an African ninja with tech powers is that hard to differentiate from Batman, despite a somewhat similar costume. Drop the 'Black' from his name, and he's an easy sell. I actually think we're more likely to see T'challa in the MCU than Ms Marvel.
Yeah, an African main character who leads the most powerful nation in the world (which is a remote island in Africa) is much easier to sell than a busty blonde side character.

Aske

Yeah, an African main character who leads the most powerful nation in the world (which is a remote island in Africa) is much easier to sell than a busty blonde side character.

I'm not talking about presenting them as characters with their own movies - that doesn't appear to be on the cards for either of them, at least not before Avengers 2. I'm just talking about each of them as characters who could be inserted into the franchise to add to the Avengers lineup.

An African ninja whose origins are left largely mysterious (or heavily simplified) is an easier sell than a female hero who would likely appear massively overpowered compared to the rest of the cast. Right now the only meta-human heros in the MCU are Hulk and Cap. Ms Marvel can boast hammer and tech free flight, energy absorption and projection; essentially Superman-lite powers that combine the skill sets which already serve to differentiate between Thor, Iron Man and Cap.

Even if they replace the Kree with the Chitauri, make Carol Danvers a SHIELD agent, and call her Captain Marvel, she's still a lot harder to shoehorn into the franchise than a guy who can pop up out of nowhere with an incredible brain and physical skillset that doesn't need to be explained beyond a commitment to training. T'challa can be thrown in anywhere, at any time, and he's instantly magnificent. Danvers has to be established as a regular soldier, then given her powers, and probably an adjustment period as she learns to use them. Since Marvel doesn't seem all that keen to toss her into the mix at this point, and since they need to diversify beyond Falcon, I see T'challa as a much more likely prospect.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is probably gonna get overshadowed by Iron Man 3 right now, but I found some Ant Man news. Don't know how reliable it is though:

http://www.examiner.com/article/marvel-studios-to-shoot-ant-man-beginning-january-2013-london

Arad Productions in association with Big Talk Productions are in the pre-production stages of the highly anticipated Marvel Studios action adventure sci-fi thriller feature film "Ant-Man". Walt Disney Studios, the parent company of Marvel Enterprises, announced that the film has been greenlit. Filming is scheduled to start this January, 2012 for a November 6, 2015 release date. People's Choice Award winning Canadian actor Nathan Fillion has been mentioned for the lead role of Hank Pym, also known as Ant Man. The project will shoot at Pinewood Studios in England, and other locations around London and the United Kingdom.

Ant-Man" centers on Biophysicist Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym, who becomes a superhero after discovering a chemical substance that allows him to change his size. Armed with a helmet and suit that could control ants, Pym would shrink down to the size of an insect to become the mystery-solving Ant-Man. Scott Lang became Pym's successor after stealing Ant-Man suit to save his daughter Cassie from a heart condition. At one point the film adaptation was said to involve both Pym and Lang, however this is to be seen after the film comes out in theaters.

Three-time British Academy of Film and Television Arts BAFTA Award nominated English filmmaker Edgar Wright will direct "Ant-Man" from an adapted screenplay written by himself and BAFTA Award nominee Joe Cornish. Wright has been working on the script for over 6 years, with a third draft given to Marvel in June, 2011. The studio officially presented the character Ant Man with an entertaining and riveting test video at Comic-Con 2012. Ant Man had very unique abilities where he transforms instantly from full size to tiny size and and vice versa. He is also portrayed as a trained operative.

1. I thought Avi Arad was no longer involved with Marvel Studios.
2. Nathan Fillion as Pym? That should make alot of fanboys happy.

EDIT: The source of this can be found here:

http://www.featurefilmcasting.com/2012/10/marvel-studios-to-shoot-ant-man.html

KevinCow

Banned
Didn't Nathan Fillion specifically say he wasn't interested?

Not that I wouldn't love some banter between Nathan Fillion and RDJ.

I'm not talking about presenting them as characters with their own movies - that doesn't appear to be on the cards for either of them, at least not before Avengers 2. I'm just talking about each of them as characters who could be inserted into the franchise to add to the Avengers lineup.

An African ninja whose origins are left largely mysterious (or heavily simplified) is an easier sell than a female hero who would likely appear massively overpowered compared to the rest of the cast. Right now the only meta-human heros in the MCU are Hulk and Cap. Ms Marvel can boast hammer and tech free flight, energy absorption and projection; essentially Superman-lite powers that combine the skill sets which already serve to differentiate between Thor, Iron Man and Cap.

Even if they replace the Kree with the Chitauri, make Carol Danvers a SHIELD agent, and call her Captain Marvel, she's still a lot harder to shoehorn into the franchise than a guy who can pop up out of nowhere with an incredible brain and physical skillset that doesn't need to be explained beyond a commitment to training. T'challa can be thrown in anywhere, at any time, and he's instantly magnificent. Danvers has to be established as a regular soldier, then given her powers, and probably an adjustment period as she learns to use them. Since Marvel doesn't seem all that keen to toss her into the mix at this point, and since they need to diversify beyond Falcon, I see T'challa as a much more likely prospect.

I'd honestly love to see both.

This is probably gonna get overshadowed by Iron Man 3 right now, but I found some Ant Man news. Don't know how reliable it is though:

http://www.examiner.com/article/marvel-studios-to-shoot-ant-man-beginning-january-2013-london

1. I thought Avi Arad was no longer involved with Marvel Studios.
2. Nathan Fillion as Pym? That should make alot of fanboys happy.

EDIT: The source of this can be found here:

http://www.featurefilmcasting.com/2012/10/marvel-studios-to-shoot-ant-man.html

Pym and Lang? Intriguing prospect, to be sure.

We knew that the original script involved both Pym and Lang and jumped between eras, but they have since worked on a rewrite with Marvel and it's unlikely that the concept works for a film intended to introduce Pym into the current MCU...doesn't really make sense that way.

Avengers EMH did pretty much everything right. I freakin' loved the last few episodes with the entire team fighting together, Ms. Marvel, Yellowjacket, Vision and all.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'd honestly love to see both.

Pym and Lang? Intriguing prospect, to be sure.

That was in the first draft. According to the casting call, it's subject to change.

Besides Avi Arad, it also mentions Paramount distributing the film. That makes no sense. I thought Disney bought out Paramount and is distributing all future MCU films.

RDJ is 47, so I don't see the issue? I'm not a massive Fillion fan but I do think he'd be a good fit for the role. It's a Whedon thing, he pretty much has to show up at some point.

I'm very good with a lot of these rumours for cast choices. Fillion for Pym, Mortensen for Strange, and Winstead for Carter would all be good picks IMO.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Simon Pegg could pull off a good Pym.

Also, a Black Panther movie is not totally outlandish, considering Blade also featured an Afro-American hero, it spawned 2 (inferior) sequels, so America / the world does not resent a black superhero. I think the name will be a problem though, as it's still linked to a very violent group of extremists. Its like launching a superhero called "Alquaida".

Simon Pegg could pull off a good Pym.

Also, a Black Panther movie is not totally outlandish, considering Blade also featured an Afro-American hero, it spawned 2 (inferior) sequels, so America / the world does not resent a black superhero. I think the name will be a problem though, as it's still linked to a very violent group of extremists. Its like launching a superhero called "Alquaida".
Again, the problem isn't that he's a black superhero. It's that half of the supporting cast would probably be black as well unless Wakanda played a minor role in the story which would be weird.

It is a predicament. Marvel actually didn't do too bad licensing the property to BET to make the mini-series and push it out to their audience. They should hire Tyler Perry to make a Black Panther movie.

ReiGun

Just tell the movie from Ross's perspective. This probably doesn't solve all the problems, but I love Ross.

sdp01p01.jpg

As for Ant-Man, I kinda hope they dumped the whole Hank Pym/Scott Lang as "60's/modern Ant-Man" line. Scott can still be in it, but I would rather have Hank in the Avengers.

They should hire Tyler Perry to make a Black Panther movie.
No.

How is that a problem?
Marketability. It is a sad reality that most of America (or the rest of the world for that matter which is increasingly important to BO) probably wouldn't see a movie with a predominantly black cast. At least not enough to justify a 75-90 million dollar movie.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Marketability. It is a sad reality that most of America (or the rest of the world for that matter which is increasingly important to BO) probably wouldn't see a movie with a predominantly black cast. At least not enough to justify a 75-90 million dollar movie.

Really? When I look at Tyler Perry, he get $60 million domestic for a piece of crap like Why did I get married? 2
I don't know how big the "Tyler Perry made it so I'm gonna see it"-factor is, but an all-black movie can be succesful, financially.

Ovid

I would honestly prefer if we did something with Luke Cage. He would be the shit as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

BP, Falcon, Cage I don't care. I just want a black super hero on the big screen.

Seeing as we're talking Cage and Rand, I still want my kung-fu/blaxpoitation/buddy cop pisstake movie with the original Heroes for Hire. Set it in the 70s and make something that puts Black Dynamite to shame.

I'm so convinced it's a great idea. THAT SAID, I really would love a proper Iron Fist movie.

Two of my favourite characters. The Avengers feel incomplete to me without them; along with Pym and Wasp.

BP and Carol are my second and third fav characters (following the spectacular one.

I would honestly prefer if we did something with Luke Cage. He would be the shit as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

BP, Falcon, Cage I don't care. I just want a black super hero on the big screen.

Falcon sucks. I want a quality hero on screen. BP and Cage are all good with me.

Seeing as we're talking Cage and Rand, I still want my kung-fu/blaxpoitation/buddy cop pisstake movie with the original Heroes for Hire. Set it in the 70s and make something that puts Black Dynamite to shame.

I'm so convinced it's a great idea. THAT SAID, I really would love a proper Iron Fist movie.

Black Dynamite puts Black Dynamite to shame.

I want Heroes for Hire to be the next TV show. Marvel's street-level stuff doesn't really fit into the grand Avengers plan the movies are all part of, so putting it on TV would be a great way to use all of those characters.

Black Dynamite puts Black Dynamite to shame.

OK then, they should get Matthew Holness and/or Richard Ayoade to do it

I want Heroes for Hire to be the next TV show. Marvel's street-level stuff doesn't really fit into the grand Avengers plan the movies are all part of, so putting it on TV would be a great way to use all of those characters.

Actually, yes, what I want would be great to see on TV.

Top Bottom