• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Damn, I like Jan's design in EMH. As far as something more realistic goes though, I always liked the last design she had in the comics with the pixie haircut. I miss her. :(

Damn, I like Jan's design in EMH. As far as something more realistic goes though, I always liked the last design she had in the comics with the pixie haircut. I miss her. :(
I think it looks pretty terrible. It's mostly the antennae and the hair though. Something about it makes her look like she's from a different cartoon than all the other characters. That and she looks/sounds like a teenager instead of an adult.

The Captain America thing is driving me insane. You can clearly see it in two scenes in the trailer, and it's definitely the shield with an A in the middle. WTF IS GOING ON?!? Aaaaaaaaaaah. :)

Any chance it's just the effects house having some fun with us?

Remember this from Iron Man?

mTIXR.jpg

My younger cousins and brother are re-watching Iron Man 2. This movie wasn't as good as the first one, but it's still pretty good. And Mickey Rourke as Vanko/Whiplash is awesome.

Mickey-Rourke-as-Whiplash-in-Iron-Man-2_gallery_primary.jpg

Eh, I just want them to pull off that hairstyle in live action.

Also, from the Iron Man 3 trailer:

captat.jpg

So...that's interesting.

WTF AT THE CAP SHIELD...

LOL @ people in the trailer thread saying the CG looks bad. Movie is still seven months out and if they didn't know ILM wasn't doing it they wouldn't even be second guessing it.

The clip of Tony's house being blown up is fucking horrible.

duckroll

Maybe the storyline for Iron Man 3 is really that one of Captain America's biggest fans got wind of the poor treatment Steve got from Stark in the Avengers, and he's on a personal vendetta to fuck Stark up. The reason why he can't run to SHIELD for help is because he thinks that they might be in on it too! OMG!

I'd love to see Ms Marvel, T'challa, and Pym in the next film. something tells me we might get Falcon, War Machine (this is cool), and another shield agent maybe mocking bird or something easy on the budget :D. I wonder if Fox has the rights to the Kree because they have the FF4...which is basically the rest of the marvel U. Might not be able to do Ms Marvel.

Nope, the only aliens Fox can use are the Skrulls (well and Galactus/Silver Surfer). It's one of those weird instances where both Fox and Marvel can use them, according to Feige. Hell, Fox's hold on X-Men are only limited to Mutants (and a few related Humans). In theory, Marvel could technically use the Brood or Shiar if they wanted to.

You like giant boobs on a kids show?

If anything that VA gets her character.

I'm still amazed Disney allowed that. I'm going to miss her ;_;

noah111

Still Alive
On the topic of the CG: It is noticeably different, even to my laymen eyes. Different. That doesn't mean it looks worse per-say, just that from what we've seen it looks and feels different from the previous CG.

We'll see how it turns out at the end, but it's pretty fucking stupid of them to drop ILM after all this time, and due to money of all things, when they are racking in more money now than ever before. I don't get the logic.

noah111

Still Alive
The Captain America thing is driving me insane. You can clearly see it in two scenes in the trailer, and it's definitely the shield with an A in the middle. WTF IS GOING ON?!? Aaaaaaaaaaah. :)
I assume that is a tattoo related the old time days of Captain America, not related to Avengers. Probably a guy who looked up to cap during the war or something.

Ithil

Is there some reason someone at Marvel has a hard on for Falcon? I don't think anyone in the world outside of the company cares one iota about Falcon. Feels like the booker of a wrestling company endlessly pushing his talentless son who no one cares about.

If they're that desperate for a "young audience surrogate" that you don't even need because the solo movies already introduced the audiences to each character's worlds, just go with a live action version of the EMH Wasp, since she's actually, like, popular. I don't know how old she's supposed to be in EMH, but she comes off like she's in her early twenties. Find a (good) actress from that age bracket and model her on the EMH version of the character and there, you have your young audience surrogate that actually has a connection to one of the team, or future member, that is, in Ant-Man.

I wonder how old they're planning to make Ant-Man actually.

duckroll

I reckon the "A" is actually the "Anarchist A", so it's a nice little ironic tattoo on the back of his neck to show that he stands against everything Cap represents.

That doesn't make a lot of sense for an Iron Man movie though. Especially since this was written to be a more personal story for Tony Stark, and they've repeatedly said that there won't be much direct connection to the Avengers compared to Iron Man 2.

That doesn't make a lot of sense for an Iron Man movie though. Especially since this was written to be a more personal story for Tony Stark, and they've repeatedly said that there won't be much direct connection to the Avengers compared to Iron Man 2.

They said that, but then the way Tony is acting seems a direct response and reference to Avengers.

Is there some reason someone at Marvel has a hard on for Falcon? I don't think anyone in the world outside of the company cares one iota about Falcon. Feels like the booker of a wrestling company endlessly pushing his talentless son who no one cares about.
Two things:

1] Falcon is a pretty established buddy of Cap in the comics and a sometimes member of the Avengers. It's only natural that they'd eventually want to bring him in to the universe especially when trying to fill out the supporting cast for a Cap movie.

2] I'm sure Marvel would like to get a few more people of color in the movies and maybe on the team. Falcon is again a natural choice for that given his history.
I feel like I'm always talking about black people in here lol

I know Falcon is kind of a lame character in the comics but I'm sure they'll at least attempt to make him interesting in the movies. Not being tied to so much continuity and him being not that popular in general frees them up to play with his character more.

I kinda like Falcon, but only in the Brubaker Captain America books where he is a real big part of the Cap/Bucky dynamic. He's there for both of them, and he's there for Bucky when he takes up the shield.

I'm totally okay with Falcon being there for The Winter Soldier becasue I really like the idea of Cap heading up a team of SHIELD operatives in the movie, but I don't want him to be a part of the Avengers team in the films as he's simply not that major of a character. He doesn't have the history and following of superheroes who eventually became core members of The Avengers.

I'm of the opinion that the next additions to the film team need to be Hank and Janet, T'Challa and Carol. No one else.

I kinda like Falcon, but only in the Brubaker Captain America books where he is a real big part of the Cap/Bucky dynamic. He's there for both of them, and he's there for Bucky when he takes up the shield.

I'm totally okay with Falcon being there for The Winter Soldier becasue I really like the idea of Cap heading up a team of SHIELD operatives in the movie, but I don't want him to be a part of the Avengers team in the films as he's simply not that major of a character. He doesn't have the history and following of superheroes who eventually became core members of The Avengers.

I'm of the opinion that the next additions to the film team need to be Hank and Janet, T'Challa and Carol. No one else.

Given the movies seem to be a mixing of universes, it would be interesting to see what balance they would strike with Ultimate Hank and Janet and their counter-parts. I can't see audiences warming up the Ultimate Hank and Janet dynamic.

Dead Man

So I finally got around to watching The Avengers, it seems everybody liked it a lot, I thought it was messy and silly compared to the other MCU movies though (IM2 excepted). In fact, it and IM2 are vying for most disappointing movies I have seen this year. Yes, I am slow at these things.

Did anyone else not enjoy Avengers? Well, enjoy is maybe the wrong word, I enjoyed it, it was just not as good as I was expecting.

Aegus

Given the movies seem to be a mixing of universes, it would be interesting to see what balance they would strike with Ultimate Hank and Janet and their counter-parts. I can't see audiences warming up the Ultimate Hank and Janet dynamic.

Waiting on Ultimate Black Widow sex tape storyline.

Aske

2] I'm sure Marvel would like to get a few more people of color in the movies and maybe on the team. Falcon is again a natural choice for that given his history.
I feel like I'm always talking about black people in here lol

The hilarious thing is that the Falcon has a whole Avengers story arc devoted to his inclusion on the team just to create diversity, yet that is one of the major reason's he's being added to the MCU roster.

Marvel.com said:
At a later point, Wilson was offered membership to the premier superhero team Avengers. However, he was uncomfortable that his presence was due largely to the government's "affirmative action" policy, and he returned to his social work almost immediately after some stern words with his fellow heroes. Despite his feelings, he has helped the Avengers on occasion as a provisional member.

Unlike most people, I quite like Falcon. He's not one of my favourites, but there's a lot you can do with the character, and I think he has the potential to be a good fit for the MCU.

Did anyone else not enjoy Avengers? Well, enjoy is maybe the wrong word, I enjoyed it, it was just not as good as I was expecting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JqF1sYyTm-k#t=54s

duckroll

So I finally got around to watching The Avengers, it seems everybody liked it a lot, I thought it was messy and silly compared to the other MCU movies though (IM2 excepted). In fact, it and IM2 are vying for most disappointing movies I have seen this year. Yes, I am slow at these things.

Don't worry, EviLore didn't care for it either. I'm sure he has your back!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
They said that, but then the way Tony is acting seems a direct response and reference to Avengers.

...we are talking about a line of dialogue in the first trailer man come on now... lets not jump ship too early. The way he's acting is how Iron man acted during the Armor Wars, or when he was getting shit faced drunk all the time, or when he had to go in suspended animation because of his health and came up with the modular suit. Tony Stark being paranoid about his enemies and people trying to take his tech is kinda core to his character.

KevinCow

Banned
You like giant boobs on a kids show?

If anything that VA gets her character.

I'm all for giant boobs in any context, but it bugs me that they are clearly several cups larger than her normal costume.

I mean look:

Those are clearly not the same boobs. The bottom ones are small and perky, while the top ones are veritable knockers.

...Or maybe she just came up with a creative new use for Pym particles.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You are now thinking of the terrifying implications of Hank Pym saying "your turn" in that panel.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/min...-pilot/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Deadline said:
EXCLUSIVE: Joss Whedon has recruited ER alumna Ming-Na Wen for one of the leads in his ABC drama pilot Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., which he is co-writing and directing. The project, from Marvel TV and ABC TV Studios, is based on a peacekeeping group found in both the comic book and feature film universes, including the blockbuster 2012 movie The Avengers. Ming-Na will play Agent Melinda May. Soulful and slightly damaged by her combat experiences, Melinda is an ace pilot, a weapons expert and a soldier who can — and has — gone beyond the call of duty. The character was originally listed on the pilot’s casting breakdown as Agent Althea Rice, aka The Calvary. Ming-Na is the second actor cast in S.H.I.E.L.D., joining Clark Gregg, who is reprising his Iron Man, Thor and Avengers role as Agent Phil Coulson.

Whedon is co-writing the pilot script with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. The three executive produce with Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb. Ming-Na, who is reverting to her full name, Ming-Na Wen, comes to S.H.I.E.L.D. with solid sci-fi credentials after recent stints on Syfy’s Eureka and Stargate Universe. She is repped by Innovative Artists, KLWGN and Jackoway Tyerman.

Aske

Oh God, I've never thought on that before.

Why

How could you read that last panel and not immediatly speculate? I imagined something like a miniature bull ride/crocodile wrassle/Japanese gameshow.

ER alumna Ming-Na Wen

Please, Street Fighter alumna Ming-Na Wen. No mention of that in the press release? For shame. I can't see her name and not think of Chun-Li.

Please, Street Fighter alumna Ming-Na Wen. No mention of that in the press release? For shame. I can't see her name and not think of Chun-Li.

It's funny, I associate her voice as Mulan but the actress herself as Chun-Li...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the new S.H.I.E.L.D. show. Just make it like The Lone Gunmen and I'll be happy.

Ithil

I'm all for giant boobs in any context, but it bugs me that they are clearly several cups larger than her normal costume.

I mean look:

Those are clearly not the same boobs. The bottom ones are small and perky, while the top ones are veritable knockers.

...Or maybe she just came up with a creative new use for Pym particles.

At the risk of over thinking this, she can always just" pad down" for the costume. It is for fighting, after all.

Dead Man

Please, please.

Clearly you guys mean FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN alumna, Ming-Na Wen.

Also, I take no issue with big boobs on Jan. I like small and peppy girls with huge knockers.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oh god, something must be wrong here, I don't think I've agreed with Evilore on anything.

I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the next round of movies, but it just does not live up to the reviews for me.

Avengers is a "spectacle" movie that does lose a bit of its punch when viewed at home, by yourself. I've watched in 3x at home now (2x in 2D, 1x in 3D) and it's not the same without an IMAX screen, and full crowd cheering.

That said, Avengers is still my #1 movie this year. :)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.slashfilm.com/new-the-wolverine-image-features-a-bone-claw-flashback/

wolverine-scan-550x555.jpg

Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all… Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there’s a tremendous sense of isolation for him.

I wanted to be able to tell the story without the burden of handing it off to a film that already exists and having to conform to it. The ideas of immortality reign very heavily in this story and the burden of immortality weighs heavily on Logan. For me that’s such an interesting part of Logan’s character that is nearly impossible to explore if you have a kind of league or team movie.

So The Wolverine takes place after all the other X-Men films, but has some flashbacks. That's kind of odd.

JdFoX187

Banned
So present day X-Men is dead as long as the movies set in the past movies continue to make money.

This one is post-X-Men: The Last Stand. I actually wouldn't be surprised if there's not some way or them to use it to segway into X-Men 4. Wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. Perhaps have a teaser that leads into the sequel of First Class and then go on from there.

This one is post-X-Men: The Last Stand. I actually wouldn't be surprised if there's not some way or them to use it to segway into X-Men 4. Wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. Perhaps have a teaser that leads into the sequel of First Class and then go on from there.

Sequel for first class will be in the past isn't it?

Top Bottom