• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

ReiGun

I'm curious to see what Marvel has planned for Daredevil now that they have the licence back. If they do decide to do a "Marvel Knights" type thing, hopefully he'll be at the forefront of it.

This should be the after-credits scene for Avengers 2

*Roaming shot of piles upon piles of dead aliens ending with a shot of a mysterious figure holding a spear standing atop them all before cutting to black with a feline roar*

I just got hard a little.

Really? When I look at Tyler Perry, he get $60 million domestic for a piece of crap like Why did I get married? 2
I don't know how big the "Tyler Perry made it so I'm gonna see it"-factor is, but an all-black movie can be succesful, financially.
Tyler Perry movies are marketed towards the black community at large. They are family movies that even grandma can go see. My grandma isn't going to see a Black Panther movie. It would be like a niche within a niche.

Now I should clarify, it could work. Maybe the mainstream audience isn't as shallow as everyone believes and they'd go see it in droves. But I don't blame the studio for not betting 75-90 million dollars on it even though I'd personally love to see it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Major spoilers on Iron Man 3 and Thor 2:

http://screenrant.com/iron-man-3-thor-2-spoilers-rumors/all/1/

Iron Man 3:

“Well, there’s going to be a big fight sequence with The Mandarin, who’s the main villain, which will involve none other than forty different iron man suits. There’s an amazing rescue where The Mandarin basically wants to bring down the American government and kill the President, and he launches an attack on Air Force One. All of them – the President and his men and staff – get sucked out of the plane, and Iron Man rescues them by forming this amazing human chain in the sky.

“There’s some pretty spectacular stuff that goes on. There’s an amazing sequence where he has this rooftop house that he builds to store all his Iron Man suits, and it gets attacked by The Mandarin and these gunships [...] I was shocked to discover there are like forty Iron Man suits written into this feature in various ways…so that’s going to be pretty impressive. But apparently he needs this Iron Man army to go up against The Mandarin’s forces.”

Thor: The Dark World:

“Thor becomes reunited with Jane who becomes possessed by a Dark Spirit, which is connected with the Dark Elves; a race the Asgardians have fallen out with many years beforehand [...] The Dark Elves attack Asgard, and they take a huge hit. So Thor has to rebuild Asgard by putting together an army to go and take the battle to the Dark Elves and defeat them. But the only way he can do this is – he needs to cross over to the Dark World, and the only person who has access to the dark side of Asgard is his old brother Loki, who at the beginning of the film is locked up in prison.

“So what happens is Thor basically has to negotiate this truce with Loki, and he goes on this great trek with Jane, all three of them. They go to this far side of Asgard, which is being shot in Iceland, where they train and assemble an army to go and attack the Dark Elves’ world.”

“But the exclusive twist…is that one of the things that happens during the Asgardian attack is that Thor’s mother gets killed. So it becomes like a vengeance thing. And they were keeping very tight-lipped about what actually happens with Loki, you don’t know whether he redeems himself or he’s still the bad egg.”

Recon

Banned
Thor 2 sounds fucking great. Loki was a dumb cackling villain in Avengers, but I love how he has real depth(well, as much as a superhero film character can have) in the Thor films.

sn00zer

Get ready for the shit storm if the bad guy is really called the Mandarin....i imagine many a liberal arts college essays written about him in the future

Resilient

Get ready for the shit storm if the bad guy is really called the Mandarin....i imagine many a liberal arts college essays written about him in the future

The essays have probably already been written. Iron Man v The Mandarin has been about American Capitalism v Chinese Communism since forever.

Going to be curious to see what's so amazingly formidable about the Mandarin in this (given what Tony Stark has gone up against so far), and whether they make him a magical villain or not. Also going to be curious to see how the Iron Patriot suit figures into it all.

4BtJA.jpg

duckroll

Marketability. It is a sad reality that most of America (or the rest of the world for that matter which is increasingly important to BO) probably wouldn't see a movie with a predominantly black cast. At least not enough to justify a 75-90 million dollar movie.

I'm not sure if this is really a reality though. I mean let's look at a movie like Bad Boys 2. BOM says the budget is 130 million bucks. The two main leads are black. The leading ladies are black. Much of the supporting cast are also minorities. The movie made 138 million in the US, and 134 million overseas. I guess we can look at that and say "well Marvel probably wants more money back than that", but keep in mind that Bad Boys 2 was a hard R-rated movie.

Recon

Banned
I'm not sure if this is really a reality though. I mean let's look at a movie like Bad Boys 2. BOM says the budget is 130 million bucks. The two main leads are black. The leading ladies are black. Much of the supporting cast are also minorities. The movie made 138 million in the US, and 134 million overseas. I guess we can look at that and say "well Marvel probably wants more money back than that", but keep in mind that Bad Boys 2 was a hard R-rated movie.

After the success of the Phase 1 films, Black Panther would be an easy sell. Show some Avenger related cameos in the trailer. Then keep it at a Thor level budget, and its almost guaranteed to make some money.

I mentioned this before, but Will Smith as Black Phanter. lol

shira

Major spoilers on Iron Man 3 and Thor 2:

http://screenrant.com/iron-man-3-thor-2-spoilers-rumors/all/1/

Iron Man 3:

“Well, there’s going to be a big fight sequence with The Mandarin, who’s the main villain, which will involve none other than forty different iron man suits. There’s an amazing rescue where The Mandarin basically wants to bring down the American government and kill the President, and he launches an attack on Air Force One. All of them – the President and his men and staff – get sucked out of the plane, and Iron Man rescues them by forming this amazing human chain in the sky.

“There’s some pretty spectacular stuff that goes on. There’s an amazing sequence where he has this rooftop house that he builds to store all his Iron Man suits, and it gets attacked by The Mandarin and these gunships [...] I was shocked to discover there are like forty Iron Man suits written into this feature in various ways…so that’s going to be pretty impressive. But apparently he needs this Iron Man army to go up against The Mandarin’s forces.”

Thor: The Dark World:

“Thor becomes reunited with Jane who becomes possessed by a Dark Spirit, which is connected with the Dark Elves; a race the Asgardians have fallen out with many years beforehand [...] The Dark Elves attack Asgard, and they take a huge hit. So Thor has to rebuild Asgard by putting together an army to go and take the battle to the Dark Elves and defeat them. But the only way he can do this is – he needs to cross over to the Dark World, and the only person who has access to the dark side of Asgard is his old brother Loki, who at the beginning of the film is locked up in prison.

“So what happens is Thor basically has to negotiate this truce with Loki, and he goes on this great trek with Jane, all three of them. They go to this far side of Asgard, which is being shot in Iceland, where they train and assemble an army to go and attack the Dark Elves’ world.”

“But the exclusive twist…is that one of the things that happens during the Asgardian attack is that Thor’s mother gets killed. So it becomes like a vengeance thing. And they were keeping very tight-lipped about what actually happens with Loki, you don’t know whether he redeems himself or he’s still the bad egg.”

Pretty sure the IM3 stuff was posted months ago.

Thor is whatever. That story doesn't have to make sense. That character barely does anything.

A BP movie would hardly take place in Wakanda anyways. Think about it - Ultimate Avengers 2, Avengers EMH. They both start with T'Chaka being killed, and then where does T'Challa head? America. Not only that, but he studied in America as well before returning to Wakanda. It would be like Thor, in a way - it'll begin and end in the fantastical city, but that's not where the middle stretch is.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
A BP movie would hardly take place in Wakanda anyways. Think about it - Ultimate Avengers 2, Avengers EMH. They both start with T'Chaka being killed, and then where does T'Challa head? America. Not only that, but he studied in America as well before returning to Wakanda. It would be like Thor, in a way - it'll begin and end in the fantastical city, but that's not where the middle stretch is.

So basically, a Marvel version of Coming to America.

And if it's anything like Thor the mid-part will suck because of it.

Nah. Make it Tony Stark visiting Wakanda. Call it "Coming to Wakanda" and have RDJ play multiple roles in the film, and Black Panther is the McDowell's guy.

Ithil

Like I've said, the ideal movie team would be this

avengers-assembled.jpg

+ Ms. Marvel, Widow, and Vision. For me anyway.

It's very comic booky, but I would hope they use a design like that if Wasp ever makes it into these films. I don't really like many of her actual comic book designs.

I hate Wasp's design and character in general in that cartoon. Her powers are 100% ineffective against every bad guy they encounter. She flies around in shrunk down form cuz thats what she does. Plus her weird earmuff/attenae thing just doesn't make any sense. And her outfit makes her look like Charlie Brown

Ithil

Eh, I just want them to pull off that hairstyle in live action.

Also, from the Iron Man 3 trailer:

captat.jpg

So...that's interesting.

J10

Banned
LOL @ people in the trailer thread saying the CG looks bad. Movie is still seven months out and if they didn't know ILM wasn't doing it they wouldn't even be second guessing it.

Recon

Banned
LOL @ people in the trailer thread saying the CG looks bad. Movie is still seven months out and if they didn't know ILM wasn't doing it they wouldn't even be second guessing it.

You are right, it is 7 months out. The second part you are full of shit, since you cannot actually prove that.

duckroll

The Captain America thing is driving me insane. You can clearly see it in two scenes in the trailer, and it's definitely the shield with an A in the middle. WTF IS GOING ON?!? Aaaaaaaaaaah. :)

Recon

Banned
The Captain America thing is driving me insane. You can clearly see it in two scenes in the trailer, and it's definitely the shield with an A in the middle. WTF IS GOING ON?!? Aaaaaaaaaaah. :)

Lol. Who doesnt love Cap? Bet Loki has caps face on his left buttocks.

J10

Banned
You are right, it is 7 months out. The second part you are full of shit, since you cannot actually prove that.

I don't need to prove it. Seems like a rational assumption given that people were already gearing up to be negative about it before the trailer was even shown.

duckroll

I don't need to prove it. Seems like a rational assumption given that people were already gearing up to be negative about it before the trailer was even shown.

Trying to generalize and start shit like that doesn't do anyone any good. This "us" vs "them" mentality is kinda rotten to begin with. In the end, so what if someone is negative about something you don't agree with, or positive about something you're down on? We can all still get along and talk about the stuff we like without flinging mud. Right?

Weeeelllllll, even if you don't like America I'm sure you would be grateful to one of the Americans who helped save the whole world (which includes you).

I see nothing wrong with being a Cap fan after the shit he pulled off in the Avengers :)

Recon

Banned

Well, considering on this page we have another person calling it bad, seems Im not the only one. My eyes dont give a shit who made the CG. I see what I see. Its not like ILM didnt have some odd looking CG in the past films too. Its probably just unfinished. If you find it acceptable, thats fine, others can have problems with it.

J10

Banned
Trying to generalize and start shit like that doesn't do anyone any good. This "us" vs "them" mentality is kinda rotten to begin with. In the end, so what if someone is negative about something you don't agree with, or positive about something you're down on? We can all still get along and talk about the stuff we like without flinging mud. Right?

You speculating on my intent isn't any better than my assumption about folks with negative opinions. Wasn't trying to "start shit." We're both commenting on comments.

duckroll

You speculating on my intent isn't any better than my assumption about folks with negative opinions. Wasn't trying to "start shit." We're both commenting on comments.

I'm not speculating on your intent. I am telling you what sort of posts are discouraged here, and how you can better make yourself useful in the community here. If you do not want to take the advice well, then it is unfortunate and will probably result in something neither of us want in future.

Bad Boys came to mind while writing my other post but I think it's an exception to the rule. First, we're talking about a Will Smith movie. Second, Bad Boys 2 being a sequel gives it a little leeway with the audience. Also keep in mind the leading lady in Bad Boys 1 was not black. Third, it's a Will Smith movie.

In other words, Will Smith should play Black Panther
:p

Now maybe I'm wrong. I think Marvel under Disney's banner has enough money to at least try and see what happens. But it's not my money at stake.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Like I've said, the ideal movie team would be this

avengers-assembled.jpg

+ Ms. Marvel, Widow, and Vision. For me anyway.

I'd love to see Ms Marvel, T'challa, and Pym in the next film. something tells me we might get Falcon, War Machine (this is cool), and another shield agent maybe mocking bird or something easy on the budget :D. I wonder if Fox has the rights to the Kree because they have the FF4...which is basically the rest of the marvel U. Might not be able to do Ms Marvel.

Top Bottom