• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-the-wolverine-image-features-a-bone-claw-flashback/

wolverine-scan-550x555.jpg

So The Wolverine takes place after all the other X-Men films, but has some flashbacks. That's kind of odd.

Are those bone claws?

Mengetsu

I reckon the "A" is actually the "Anarchist A", so it's a nice little ironic tattoo on the back of his neck to show that he stands against everything Cap represents.

That doesn't make a lot of sense for an Iron Man movie though. Especially since this was written to be a more personal story for Tony Stark, and they've repeatedly said that there won't be much direct connection to the Avengers compared to Iron Man 2.

This was all I could find about it.

The trailer for "Iron Man 3" was released online yesterday. And today we grabbed some screenshots from it to slow down all the action. One peculiar detail that was spotted was that The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) has a tattoo on the back of his neck that resembles Captain America's shield.

The only difference is that the tattoo has an "A" at the center, instead of a star. Marvel head Kevin Feige recently stated that The Mandarin uses "symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end."

Does this mean that The Mandarin is twisting the principles that the shield represents? And does the villain have a connection to Steve Rogers?
It's not impossible that The Mandarin will resurface in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "The Avengers 2?"

Also:

In the recently released "Iron Man 3" trailer, we got a look at The Mandarin, played by Ben Kingsley. The character is an international terrorist, who wears Ten Rings, which symbolize his terrorist organization that kidnapped Tony Stark in the first "Iron Man" film.

According to Marvel head Kevin Feige, in the third movie, The Mandarin will have a different backstory from the comics, in which he was a Chinese exile who discovers a crashed alien ship and harnesses the power of the 10 rings to unleash havoc on the world.

Feige explained that the rings won't create ice rays or fire beams, but they will definitely have a use. And despite the fact that "Iron Man 3" takes place after "The Avengers," there won't be an alien presence in the film of any kind.

JdFoX187

Banned
Sequel for first class will be in the past isn't it?

They're doing a Days of Future Past adaptation. If they're smart, they could use that as a way to explain the inconsistencies between the First Class series and the modern series, and then ultimately combine them into one large X-Men universe with a new X4 at some point in the future.

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-the-wolverine-image-features-a-bone-claw-flashback/

So The Wolverine takes place after all the other X-Men films, but has some flashbacks. That's kind of odd.

If I'm not reading too much into it, it sounds like he's in a very dark and lonely place. Jean is dead, X is dead, Cyclops is dead, Rogue decided to give up her powers and live a normal life, he's completely alone, it wouldn't surprise me if he's thinking back over past events in some drunken stupor or because he's depressed.

I was hoping that was the entire point of Thor and The Avengers, to allow those unrealistic things to exist in the entire film series. If The Mandarin has no powers whatsoever, I have very little interest in this movie.

I don't get why Marvel would be so okay with retconning one of their iconic supervillains for the movie when people accepted and embraced the Cosmic aspects of The Avengers.

No question, the Marvel U just plays everything so safe. It almost seems sterile.

How is that safe? They just dont want magic in the world and that makes sense. People want their super heroes as grounded as possible. Even if their powers could never happen they still want some kind of a "realistic" explanation.

No question, the Marvel U just plays everything so safe. It almost seems sterile.

I was hoping that was the entire point of Thor and The Avengers, to allow those unrealistic things to exist in the entire film series. If The Mandarin has no powers whatsoever, I have very little interest in this movie.

I don't get why Marvel would be so okay with retconning one of their iconic supervillains for the movie when people accepted and embraced the Cosmic aspects of The Avengers.

I agree. it's even more strange with the rumours of dr strange possibly appearing and then there's guardians of the galaxy.

not sure why they've decided to take iron man back to a moer grounded and realistic theme, maybe they are worried that people won't be happy with it going supernatural? it's more believable in something like thor because it's entire movie and its tory is otherworldly, iron man has been grounded for the last couple of movies, maybe they don't want to rock the boat too much?

some light touches of the supernatural might be possible throughout the movie with it featuring more throughout the other phase 2 movies and becoming a big part of all phase 3 movies?

I wouldnt call Mandarin iconic. He isnt well known at all outside of diehard comic fandom.

With that said, I wouldnt mind if he was a magic guy. They are planning on introducing Dr. Strange afterall right?

I wouldnt call Mandarin iconic. He isnt well known at all outside of diehard comic fandom.

With that said, I wouldnt mind if he was a magic guy. They are planning on introducing Dr. Strange afterall right?

But they havent said anything about him using magic. I am sure they could come up with a non magic explanation for his powers. Even in Thor they have him give that line about how science seems like magic to people tat dont know. It seems like they really dont want magic in these movies.

But they havent said anything about him using magic. I am sure they could come up with a non magic explanation for his powers. Even in Thor they have him give that line about how science seems like magic to people tat dont know. It seems like they really dont want magic in these movies.

I've enjoyed every one of the disney marvel movies so far but that would piss me off.

Uncle

Dr Strange, the User of Non-Specified Pseudoscientific Extradimensional Straight Up Non-Magic Powers Supreme.

ReiGun

If Doc Strange isn't using magic, there's no need for Doc Strange.

This need to have everything be "grounded" is really annoying sometimes.

Thor says that. You however have Asgardians referring to Loki as a master of magic.

The fact they want to keep magic and aliens away from the Iron Man solo movies doesn't mean the same will happen with the overall MCU. Especially as long as Whedon keeps doing the Avengers movies, as he has said he wants to keep the whackiness of comic books in the movies.

Not giving Mandarin alien powers in a movie that seems to focus on both Armor Wars and Extremis (two tech heavy plots) doesn't mean Dr. Strange is gonna suffer the same fate. Not only because Strange would be showing up in a magic heavy movie, but also because every single villain or related character to Dr. Strange is either a mage as well or some sort of demon/dimension lord.

I think they're consciously trying to keep Iron Man grounded as possible in an attempt to give all their movies distinct identities. The Iron Man movies will be about sci-fi tech while on the the end of the spectrum, Thor will be about as fantasy as possible. Throwing a magic wizard in to Iron Man sort of messes up the equation and I can see why they'd be trepidatious about it. I think even making the rings alien powered is possibly moving that needle too far as well though I personally think it mostly would depend on how crazy you made Mandarin's actual powers (ie full fire/ice blasts from his hand type stuff).

Obviously aliens exist in IM's universe but I think they don't want him dealing directly with that kind of stuff unless it's an Avengers movie.

I suppose, but it just makes the Iron Man movies that much less interesting to me. The first two movies were already about some bad dude turning Tony's technological breakthrough against him. This one is probably just gonna be more Iron Man suits fighting other Iron Man suits or something, if The Mandarin doesn't actually have any real fighting prowess. Maybe it's just me but I was actually really hoping for the Iron Man vs Mandarin laser beam fights.

Maybe if they did something cool like the Technovore, but I would imagine that's too "out there" for them as well - I just want something we haven't seen before out of these movies because Iron Man 2 was basically just a retread of the first film. I don't know what kind of conflict Extremis brings to the film, unless Guy Pearce's character is gonna be superpowered and duking it out with Tony. They don't seem to be willing to take it very far at all with this particular series, and it's kinda weird to me.

Iron Man being grounded? Even in the movies which are far more tame than the comics, the technology shown is absolutely ridiculous considering the time period. Stark's House is something you won't ever see even 10-15 years from now at the absolute earliest.

LosDaddie

Banned

MCU seems safe now, but not so much back in 2008 when it began. It (Avengers) was a huge gamble.

Iron Man being grounded? Even in the movies which are far more tame than the comics, the technology shown is absolutely ridiculous considering the time period. Stark's House is something you won't ever see even 10-15 years from now at the absolute earliest.

What specifically are your referring to? Touch panels and voice activation for smart homes is already here. Now jarvis? Yes, that's years away

Anth0ny

But he's rich.

Boom, explained. Grounded.

Can't explain magic (apparently).

MCU seems safe now, but not so much back in 2008 when it began. It (Avengers) was a huge gamble.

What specifically are your referring to? Touch panels and voice activation for smart homes is already here. Now jarvis? Yes, that's years away

I'm talking about everything screen related being made up of PURELY glass with no wires connected to it at all. And the holographic technology that he can interact with as if he were "touching" it.

And let's not get into Jarvis, who makes Siri look like it was designed by a College Programing major.

I think it's more a case of trying to differentiate the different movies as GuitarAtomik said. Iron Man is a more or less tech based franchise, Thor is fantasy, Captain America is more connected to the military/SHIELD. And yes, technology no matter how ridiculous almost always feels more realistic than magic.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm talking about everything screen related being made up of PURELY glass with no wires connected to it at all.

It's not too far fetched, actually. My company did something similar to it at Full Sail Univ. earlier this year. We used StarGlas (from Stewart Filmscreen) with a high-end projector behind the glass. It was really cool, but not commerically viable yet. But yeah, the no wires & stuff is pretend.

And the holographic technology that he can interact with as if he were "touching" it.

And let's not get into Jarvis, who makes Siri look like it was designed by a College Programing major.

I included all that as part of Jarvis. Yeah, years & years out.

mjc

The whole steering away from magic because it would turn audiences off is rubbish. The tesseract would have done that already if that was true.

"Magic" in the MCU is just advanced and/or alien tech anyway. It's not literally supernatural.

Yeah I know. Don't remember where I read it or who said it but I remember reading an explanation that Asgardian magic isn't so much our technology advanced as it is just a completely different technology that would likely never make sense to a human. Except maybe Tony Stark or something. And yes that does fall into the alien technology territory but I kinda like the example.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Given the cinematic Marvel Universe had a working hovercar prototypes in 1942, Jarvis doesn't seem too crazy for a billionaire inventor.

yeah but even in our world we had shitty turbine floating cars decades ago, which is what that was in the captain america movie, it was a pile. Granted they are trying to portray Stark as at least 10 years ahead of everyone else.

Yeah, but it's sci-fi near-future tech. It's grounded in that one day you could imagine this in your home in real life. Once you start bringing aliens and magic in you've broken in to a different barrier. Some would say a different genre.

I think it's more a case of trying to differentiate the different movies as GuitarAtomik said. Iron Man is a more or less tech based franchise, Thor is fantasy, Captain America is more connected to the military/SHIELD. And yes, technology no matter how ridiculous almost always feels more realistic than magic.
Pretty much this.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yeah I know. Don't remember where I read it or who said it but I remember reading an explanation that Asgardian magic isn't so much our technology advanced as it is just a completely different technology that would likely never make sense to a human. Except maybe Tony Stark or something. And yes that does fall into the alien technology territory but I kinda like the example.

probably Ultimate line, but in 616...the marvel universe has literally EVERYTHING, on all scales, different types of existences: Universe, Underverse, Mojoverse, Alt-Universe,Microverse, Alt-Dimensions, Limbo, Light Dimension, etc etc.

Different types of origins: Big Bang, Multiverse with central nexus, Omniverse, Oscillating Universe, Partially Eternal universes, finite universes..etc etc

and that diversity extends down to types of powers and characters/stories told. Even at the end of Fear Itself it was plainly clear that Odin had a fuck you card for Tony Stark when he restored all the people in france that were stoned by Grey Gargoyle. Asgardians dont have "tech" first of all its not even the Asgardians its the Vanir that would have the "tech" since its magic we are talking about.

Theres no reason to limit a comic book universe by saying something conceptual doesnt really exist , thats dumb its all about the stories that can be told within those universes no need for some kind of over arching worldview to govern it all.

The whole steering away from magic because it would turn audiences off is rubbish. The tesseract would have done that already if that was true.
I'm just talking about the Iron Man movies. Marvel is obviously not afraid of magic. Whether Dr Strange is or isn't in the next Thor, they have expressed that it's something they eventually want to do. They're just careful about when and where they'll use it, and stand alone Iron Man movies is where they'd rather not because they'd rather focus on the tech in that situation.

I just don't get why they'd use The Mandarin for the film if they were going to neuter him. It's actually very similar to what they did with Bane, they used the character but then changed his entire origin and background and turned him into a generic terrorist character. Why use the character if you're going to drastically change it?

I just don't get why they'd use The Mandarin for the film if they were going to neuter him. It's actually very similar to what they did with Bane, they used the character but then changed his entire origin and background and turned him into a generic terrorist character. Why use the character if you're going to drastically change it?
Because honestly, what other Iron Man villain is there that isn't another guy in armor? You can still do interesting things with the Mandarin besides have him shoots laser blasts from his fists. Besides, I think it's too early to tell if Mandarin won't be able to go toe to toe with Iron Man. I just hope they don't put him in a suit lol.

probably Ultimate line, but in 616...the marvel universe has literally EVERYTHING, on all scales, different types of existences: Universe, Underverse, Mojoverse, Alt-Universe,Microverse, Alt-Dimensions, Limbo, Light Dimension, etc etc.

Different types of origins: Big Bang, Multiverse with central nexus, Omniverse, Oscillating Universe, Partially Eternal universes, finite universes..etc etc

and that diversity extends down to types of powers and characters/stories told. Even at the end of Fear Itself it was plainly clear that Odin had a fuck you card for Tony Stark when he restored all the people in france that were stoned by Grey Gargoyle. Asgardians dont have "tech" first of all its not even the Asgardians its the Vanir that would have the "tech" since its magic we are talking about.

Theres no reason to limit a comic book universe by saying something conceptual doesnt really exist , thats dumb its all about the stories that can be told within those universes no need for some kind of over arching worldview to govern it all.

I'm talking strictly about the movies, I'm well aware of that magic exist as magic in 616.

Because honestly, what other Iron Man villain is there that isn't another guy in armor? You can still do interesting things with the Mandarin besides have him shoots laser blasts from his fists. Besides, I think it's too early to tell if Mandarin won't be able to go toe to toe with Iron Man. I just hope they don't put him in a suit lol.

Not gonna lie, I was looking forward to the laser battles. But I guess we'll see. Just no more dudes in suits, I'm already worried that most of the fighting is gonna be done between Tony's new suit and the rest of his armory, taken over by The Mandarin or something. That would be extremely boring.

Aske

Exactly. Ground the movie as much as you want, but keep it consistent with the source material, and don't rewrite established characters into generic roles. Dead simple. Win mainstream favour with conservative presentation, but maintain your existing fanbase or risk wasting your IP.

...And yes, no more suit on suit stuff. Let's see Iron Man fight more battles that aren't just tech vs tech.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Not gonna lie, I was looking forward to the laser battles. But I guess we'll see. Just no more dudes in suits, I'm already worried that most of the fighting is gonna be done between Tony's new suit and the rest of his armory, taken over by The Mandarin or something. That would be extremely boring.

That wouldn't be that bad to see... if there were more variations between armors like there are in the comics.

But I agree about seeing him fight another armored foe. It was done in the first movie. The "climactic" fight at the end of Iron Man was anything but. If it comes to an Iron Man 4, I'd rather see the Living Laser than Crimson Dynamo or Titanium Man.

Zen

Banned

Well the line was 'your ancestors called it magic, you call it science, I come from a world where they are one and the same'

It's a clever non-statement that means nothing. You're right that Marvel is scared of magic, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't give Dr Strange a pseudo explanation that doesn't directly deny the presence of magic whilst making it sound less 'magicky'.

It's all just dressing, they wouldn't make a Dr Strange movie if they basically made him a more 'magical' Tony Stark fighting Aliens that resemble Satan.

Well the line was 'your ancestors called it magic, you call it science, I come from a world where they are one and the same'

It's a clever non-statement that means nothing. You're right that Marvel is scared of magic, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't give Dr Strange a pseudo explanation that doesn't directly deny the presence of magic whilst making it sound less 'magicky'.

It's all just dressing, they wouldn't make a Dr Strange movie if they basically made him a more 'magical' Tony Stark fighting Aliens that resemble Satan.

Yeah, it was pretty much a way of writing things off. They're afraid of magic, sure, but not *that* afraid. Everything from the Thorverse is clearly magic despite that one line meant to smooth things over.

Top Bottom