• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

What was the reference in IM2 about Fing Fang Foom?

No clue about IM2, but he's on a poster in IM1.

mrBV2.jpg

Seriously. Why cast Ben Kingsley in this role? There were no asian actors available?

I seem to remember hearing that The Mandarin in the movie is suppose to represent a bunch of different cultures/races, hence Ben Kingsley (a man of all races, lol) and the clothing mixed with the odd 'Agent Smith' style accent he seems to have.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Seriously. Why cast Ben Kingsley in this role? There were no asian actors available?

Considering that IM3 is partially financed by a Chinese studio, it would be a bad idea to make the villain a Chinese guy.

Here's a good article outlining the race politics of the Mandarin in IM 3

http://io9.com/5955239/how-big-is-iron-man-3s-fu-manchu-problem

One interesting theory is since the Chinese are currently fighting the Uighur separatists, making the Mandarin into a Central Asian/Middle Eastern ethnicity is supposed to play well with Chinese audiences.

I only like Cobie for the role because she's a cutie...I think she was off to a decent start in Avengers but she needs to grow some balls if she wants to portray the REAL Maria Hill. Hopefully there's a bigger part for the character to develop into the hardass she should be.

Tobor

I only like Colbie for the role because she's a cutie...I think she was off to a decent start in Avengers but she needs to grow some balls if she wants to portray the REAL Maria Hill. Hopefully there's a bigger part for the character to develop into the hardass she should be.

Did you watch the deleted scenes?

I only like Cobie for the role because she's a cutie...I think she was off to a decent start in Avengers but she needs to grow some balls if she wants to portray the REAL Maria Hill. Hopefully there's a bigger part for the character to develop into the hardass she should be.

How%20I%20Met%20Your%20Mother%20-%20Robin%20101.jpg

I think she'll be okay...

Asbel

Grow some fucking balls, the Mandarin is Chinese so make him fucking Chinese. Finance this shit yourself Disney.

If he's fully Chinese, how is he a descendent of Genghis Khan? A bunch of difference cultures might work..

Also, are they really using the name Mandarin? Could of went with one of his alias names and still be the same awesome villain. Iron Man comic fans are used to him having multiple names and the general audience wouldn't know the difference. It's past time to update his name anyway.

J10

Banned
They already took liberties with merging Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash. I doubt they'll even call him the Mandarin. They've been setting Mandarin up to not be a specific ethnicity since the first Iron Man film; Yensin (changed from Chinese in the comics to Afghani in the film) told stark the Ten Rings organization was made up multiple Asian, European, and middle eastern cultures. It probably makes storytelling a little easier to parallel the films with real world current events, making him a middle eastern-looking boogieman. I'm OK with this - the only real disappointment for me is the abandonment of the magitech of the alien rings.

raindoc

could someone explain a non-comic-book reader what "the winter soldier" is about/who said winter soldier is? google comes up with a char called "bucky", who replaces the cap?

J10

Banned
could someone explain a non-comic-book reader what "the winter soldier" is about/who said winter soldier is? google comes up with a char called "bucky", who replaces the cap?

You saw Captain America, right?
Bucky, Cap's best friend, died in the train sequence. Winter Soldier is basically bionic Bucky, reborn as a villain.

You'll have the movie spoiled for you pretty much if you want an answer, but here goes:

When Bucky Barnes fell off the train in Captain America: The First Avenger, he didn't die but was presumably found by Russian operatives, where he was fitted with a bionic arm to replace the one he lost, and brainwashed to serve as a master assassin, The Winter Soldier.

On a mission to retrieve the Cosmic Cube (Tesseract in the movies) he kidnaps Agent Sharon Carter (Peggy Carter's niece) and Cap sets out to save her, and notices that The Winter Soldier looks a lot like Bucky. He confronts Bucky and helps him realize who he is, but ashamed of his past he runs away.

Eventually things are settled and Bucky becomes Cap's partner once again, and when Cap is "killed" by The Red Skull, Bucky takes up the shield and becomes the new Captain America. He and Black Widow have a romantic past from when they both served Russia.

raindoc

cheers guys, it's been a while since i saw captain america, i didn't remember cap's friend falling from the train was called bucky...

richiek

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=69509

Before we received confirmation that actor Frank Grillo was joining Marvel's anticipated sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, comedian and radio host Matthew Aaron had revealed, a week earlier, that the End of Watch actor was testing for the villain Brock Rumlow, Crossbones. Well, during a recent episode of Matthew Aaron's radio show, the host personally called up Frank Grillo, who was in the middle of filming Homefront, to congratulate him on landing the villainous role. And attempting to verify his “sources,” Aaron asked Grillo was he making more Crossbones appearances after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, to which Frank modestly confirmed.

“Yeah, it's a good run,” Frank Grillo said. But more interestingly, after he left the chat to “finish beating [actor] Jason Statham's ass” for Homefront, Matthew Aaron said that, according to the same ‘Marvel rat’ that informed him of Frank Grillo's involvement, one of the future films that Crossbones will appear in post-The Winter Soldier is Joss Whedon's Marvel's The Avengers sequel. Aaron added that Grillo will apparently portray Crossbones in three films total, with the inevitable third Captain America movie presumably being his final one

Crossbones in Avengers 2 makes me think we're gonna see a government-controlled superpowered team a la Thunderbolts. He was recently a member, and he got new powers in the process which would put him more in line with Avengers power levels.

Also worth noting that Crossbones (Civil War plot point)
assassinated Captain America.
Three films minimum for that character makes me feel we're gonna go there in some way, shape or form...not in Avengers 2, though. I certainly don't think Cap 2 --> Avengers 2 --> Cap 3 is the only logical way the character could appear in three films, as the article implies.

richiek

According to Stan Lee, there will be a Dr. Strange movie, and that a Black Panther movie is under development.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=69586

This made me LOL.

Lee also talked a little bit about his Executive Producing responsibilities, by saying he really doesn't do anything. "I have very little control. I don’t see the script, occasionally I will have lunch with the director or a star, like the guy making Antman,I don’t remember his name- I don’t remember names, or Robert Downey Jr., for Ironman and we talk about the characters," he explained. Lee also said that doing his cameos is really the only time he has something to do with the movies. Getting excited to go to the premieres and see the film it's self was also something he touched on.

Yeah, I doubt he knows more about the status of the Dr. Strange or Black Panther projects than we do. Wouldn't surprise me to learn the source he's using is Rich Johnston or Harry Knowles.

noah111

Still Alive
True or not, i'm going to believe it just so I can eventually bitch about it if it's actually not anywhere near our foreseeable future.

I hate real Maria Hill so much.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

ib033aFARrGtUG.gif

Although honestly you dont want a more accurate Maria Hill in the movies.....she is really really really dis-likable.
Unless she has recently been redeemed recently Maria Hill got character assassinated a long time ago....I dont know anyone who likes the real Maria Hill......shes a damn bitch and would probably grate on me as the movie went on.

Maria Hill isnt even a nice bitch who i can try understand she is straight up bitchy and I want to kill her....if she was in Avengers ida wanted her to die instead of Coulson, and it would have been logical to kill her too.....

(again unless she has been redeemed recently no one wants to see REAL Maria Hill)

Yeah, last month.
Thank god, DareDevil returns......now just make a DareDevil: Reborn movie

richiek

From the official Marvel Cinematic Universe Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MarvelCinematicUniverse

In a recent interview with Brazilian entertainment website Omelete, Simon Philips, President of Marvel Entertainment International and Consumer Products, has let it be known that........

Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts will indeed don her own suit of armor, become her armored alter-ego Rescue from the comics.

The scene in the trailer where Stark is in the hospital bed is when he indeed gets injected with the Extremis Virus.

Stark will have an underground Hall of Armors, revealing 16 new armors, including a few classic designs from the comics.

Holy shit @ number 1 and 3.

Top Bottom