• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Fry

Why is there talk of RDJ not playing Tony Stark in future movies? Don't try to give me a heart attack GAF.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm really not seeing it. I'm open to see what you have in mind though. Maybe you could propose it in the MCU thread. I really think the entire idea is terrible to the core. :p
You can't see how it could translate well on the big screen? Do you not remember Civil War at all? Here are some plot elements that could be injected into an Avengers 3 or 4 movie, in terms of Civil War;

-Honest disaster directly caused by a super hero trying to do something good
-The public turning on all the superheroes in MCU, including Avengers
-SHIELD no longer run by Fury, Maria (and thus SHIELD) going against supporting Avengers
-A hero somehow getting hurt or turned on by civilians, food thrown at them or something, etc
-Funding for the Avengers tower cut and Stark industries suffering a hit
-Some heroes going rouge
-Avengers (by this point, we'll have a bunch of characters already) and heroes turning on each other
-Government using super-powered villains to do their dirty work, CIA controversy style
-Inevitable in-fighting between heroes, etc

It wouldn't have to take on the comics version verbatim, but that general event could happen when enough characters come to light. FOR ONCE the public not being in support of Avengers, for example.

It doesn't even need to be the MAIN plot point, just something they need to hurdle or something. Hell, in the end it could be revealed as the Skrulls being behind it all and cue the Secret Invasion!

duckroll

You can't see how it could translate well on the big screen? Do you not remember Civil War at all? Here are some plot elements that could be injected into an Avengers 3 or 4 movie, in terms of Civil War;

I really think Civil War is just entirely stupid. Almost every bit of it. It tries too hard to do the same shit that X-men has done for decades on their own. It's not new or original or even entertaining to me anymore.

-Honest disaster directly caused by a super hero trying to do something good
-The public turning on all the superheroes in MCU, including Avengers
-SHIELD no longer run by Fury, Maria (and thus SHIELD) going against supporting Avengers

The problem here is that in the MCU none of these are even factors. There would be no real drama because we have already seen the Hulk go wild, every time Iron Man goes out to fight he is causing an "honest disaster", and honestly the public doesn't really factor in who the heroes really are in this case.

We're looking at a small spectrum of guys who have huge egos and really don't care. There are no everyman heroes in the MCU today. SHIELD is not even established to be a major factor in how the Avengers operate. In fact, they only became the Avengers in the movie after bailing out of SHIELD, literally.

-A hero somehow getting hurt or turned on by civilians, food thrown at them or something, etc

This is just dumb. I'm trying to imagine this happening to any of the heroes in the MCU right now, and I'm just laughing at the result. :(

-Funding for the Avengers tower cut and Stark industries suffering a hit

Wut? In the MCU it's established that Stark is able to pretty much fund everything himself. He doesn't give a fuck.

-Some heroes going rouge

Which heroes? Even 10-15 years from now, I really don't see the MCU having this huge staple of heroes where some can randomly go rogue for no reason and for it to be believable or compelling.

-Avengers (by this point, we'll have a bunch of characters already) and heroes turning on each other

We will? I don't think they'll be adding anything more like 2 characters max in the next 5 years. After that they might not even want to add any more depending on how they're developing sequels.

-Government using super-powered villains to do their dirty work, CIA controversy style
-Inevitable in-fighting between heroes, etc

Yeah I don't see how any of thsi is compelling either. We've already seen it in previous MCU movies, and it's not really anything new or different.

I basically see zero point in actually doing anything that actually draws from the Civil War crossover arc because it is boring, unimaginative, forced, and honestly dumb.

Slayven

Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy and why would they make a movie about them?

I know who Adam Warlock is from the Infinity Guantlet but you mean to tell me there is a Raccoon too?

You damn right there is a raccoon, he is the Guardians heavy weaposn expert. And he got balls.

detail.jpg

I really think Civil War is just entirely stupid. Almost every bit of it. It tries too hard to do the same shit that X-men has done for decades on their own. It's not new or original or even entertaining to me anymore.

The problem here is that in the MCU none of these are even factors. There would be no real drama because we have already seen the Hulk go wild, every time Iron Man goes out to fight he is causing an "honest disaster", and honestly the public doesn't really factor in who the heroes really are in this case.

We're looking at a small spectrum of guys who have huge egos and really don't care. There are no everyman heroes in the MCU today. SHIELD is not even established to be a major factor in how the Avengers operate. In fact, they only became the Avengers in the movie after bailing out of SHIELD, literally.

This is just dumb. I'm trying to imagine this happening to any of the heroes in the MCU right now, and I'm just laughing at the result. :(

Wut? In the MCU it's established that Stark is able to pretty much fund everything himself. He doesn't give a fuck.

Which heroes? Even 10-15 years from now, I really don't see the MCU having this huge staple of heroes where some can randomly go rogue for no reason and for it to be believable or compelling.

We will? I don't think they'll be adding anything more like 2 characters max in the next 5 years. After that they might not even want to add any more depending on how they're developing sequels.

Yeah I don't see how any of thsi is compelling either. We've already seen it in previous MCU movies, and it's not really anything new or different.

I basically see zero point in actually doing anything that actually draws from the Civil War crossover arc because it is boring, unimaginative, forced, and honestly dumb.

I agree on all counts, but it seems like this is the story almost everyone wants. All my coworkers, and lots of GAF seem to keep desperately wanting Civil War in a movie. The arguments you bring up are more than enough to point out why it would not work in the movies, regardless of how anyone feels about the original story (which sucked overall, but had an interesting premise behind it).

The only good thing to come out of Civil War was Cap beating Iron Man's ass into the ground.

And is what started the path to delusional Norman Osborn, which was so damn awesome.

I will agree on that as well.

But the end of Civil War with Cap walking away in tears just pissed me off.

And to people wanting a Civil War movie: do you want to see RDJ playing a fascist asshole in the movies? I sure as hell don't. I have a hard time reading anything Iron Man in the comics after Civil War because I hate the character of Stark so much now, where I love the movie version.

noah111

Still Alive
That argument is irrelevant on the big screen. We haven't seen an X-Men movie in forever (if you count First Class as even exploring the civilian hate, which it does't), and you can't really say it isn't entertaining without seeing it come to life. The difference here is that they adored them, and then turned on them. It's like what the Green Goblin says to Peter in SM1, "But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying."

Not only does this make me feel like you forgot everything about Civil War, but you're viewing it in the context of occurring RIGHT after Avengers 1, which it wouldn't. These things will change by Avengers 2 and 3, guaranteed. Not only the role of SHIELD, but the public perception of Avengers. That is hinted at during the end of the movie, with mass hysteria taking place, looking at Avengers as super stars. When I say disaster, I mean tragedy, something deep and serious, not Hulk destroying a building or something. Remember the comics...

It is laughable if you're thinking about the characters in place NOW. This is obviously for a world when many more heroes come to the big screen, and they have more characters/personalities to play with.

Right, but Stark Industries is still a company, and you could have the shareholders all back out, for example. Similar to what happened during Avengers disassembled (with the Mansion).

Who knows, I could see someone like Black Widow, for example, going rouge Ultimates style. That's not necessary, but it's possible to do. It's not essential to the overall gist but you got my point.

Feige himself has said it would be interesting to do a Civil War style thing for post-Avengers 3, and he has practically promised many new heroes being brought the big screen. By 2020/2024 there'll be enough.

No one can honestly say this without seeing how the MCU progresses first. Saying it would be forced without knowing the progression of the Avengers first, seems biased. We got a hint of the government demanding to know where the Avengers are now and how they need to pay for the destruction they caused, and that's not even mentioning what the Council said. It doesn't need to be forced or unimaginative. I think you just hate Civil War so much, you can't imagine it being good on the big screen.

Slayven

I will agree on that as well.

But the end of Civil War with Cap walking away in tears just pissed me off.

And to people wanting a Civil War movie: do you want to see RDJ playing a fascist asshole in the movies? I sure as hell don't. I have a hard time reading anything Iron Man in the comics after Civil War because I hate the character of Stark so much now, where I love the movie version.

I rather have a Secret Invasion or a Fear Itself movie.

duckroll

I guess this entire debate centers around how big we think the MCU would be by 2020. I simply don't see it growing enough to make this remotely worthwhile (plus I -hate- Civil War. :p). It's 8-10 years away, so it'll be a while before either of us is proven wrong.

I rather have a Secret Invasion or a Fear Itself movie.

Secret Invasion could work well as a movie, but would need to be set up through all the individual character movies to work well. I still hope they use those to do set ups for Avengers 2, much like they did with this one.

But doing Secret Invasion after the first Avengers movie would seem repetitious. Just another alien invasion, except this time they are shape shifters.

noah111

Still Alive
I guess this entire debate centers around how big we think the MCU would be by 2020. I simply don't see it growing enough to make this remotely worthwhile (plus I -hate- Civil War. :p). It's 8-10 years away, so it'll be a while before either of us is proven wrong.
Don't get me wrong, it's like i'm dying for it or anything.. it's just that I can see it actually happening, and that's not even in question if Feige says so (which he has). In his words, "it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when".

Secret Invasion could work well as a movie, but would need to be set up through all the individual character movies to work well. I still hope they use those to do set ups for Avengers 2, much like they did with this one.

But doing Secret Invasion after the first Avengers movie would seem repetitious. Just another alien invasion, except this time they are shape shifters.
That could work amazingly some day, i'd love to see some real twists of not knowing who is who and really "feeling" that sense of uncertainty about everyone, along with each character.

Doubt it'll ever happen, though.

Slayven

Don't get me wrong, it's like i'm dying for it or anything.. it's just that I can see it actually happening, and that's not even in question if Feige says so (which he has). In his words, "it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when".

That could work amazingly some day, i'd love to see some real twists of not knowing who is who and really "feeling" that sense of uncertainty about everyone, along with each character.

Doubt it'll ever happen, though.

Plus random generated Super Skrulls!!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hope none of the big cross over events are used in these movies... there are lots of good, self contained stories in the Marvel vault. Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc are all pretty bad stories when you really think about it.

I hope none of the big cross over events are used in these movies... there are lots of good, self contained stories in the Marvel vault. Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc are all pretty bad stories when you really think about it.

I think they will use Infinity Gauntlet as a strong inspiration when Thanos shows up. The series is too big and made Thanos bigger than he ever was before for them not to use it as inspiration.

If they use Mandarin in Iron Man 3 they could just do a little rewriting and use the infinity gems as his power source instead of 10 rings.

If they use Mandarin in Iron Man 3 they could just do a little rewriting and use the infinity gems as his power source instead of 10 rings.

But then why even have The Infinity Gauntlet if Mandarin has the gems?

I am thinking they might have only one of the gems. Drop the gems into all the other Marvel movies coming out, culminating with Thanos getting them all together in time for Avengers 2.

duckroll

Iron Man 3 is supposed to be a very self-contained story about Tony Stark, so I doubt they'll do that. I doubt the villain will be the Mandarin either, since they're co-producing with China, and you're not going to make the bad guy someone who might make China look bad. :p

LiK

my thoughts exactly except those gems are the source of the rings' powers.

Iron Man 3 is supposed to be a very self-contained story about Tony Stark, so I doubt they'll do that. I doubt the villain will be the Mandarin either, since they're co-producing with China, and you're not going to make the bad guy someone who might make China look bad. :p

not a big deal if Stark cooperates with Chinese govt to fight Mandarin's forces.

Wilbur

Banned
But then why even have The Infinity Gauntlet if Mandarin has the gems?

I am thinking they might have only one of the gems. Drop the gems into all the other Marvel movies coming out, culminating with Thanos getting them all together in time for Avengers 2.

I said this, yeah

Hex

Banned
http://www.abload.de/img/tdk-jim-gordon-screenv2u2c.jpg

"Joker wanted to be caught. He wanted us to lock him up in the MCU!"

That...was kind of dumb.

As far as Civil War, there are just not enough heroes/baddies are developed to make it remotely engaging.
Maybe after Marvel got more rights back, or set up new properties.

Hex

Banned

Yeah, they said the next three Marvel movies (Cap 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2) will all be self contained and not feed toward anything which I think is kind of blah.
I wonder if this success of the Avengers will change things.

They can't do Infinity Gauntlet for the same reason if you ask me.

In the respect of having hundreds of characters trying to take on Thanos, no. They cannot.

But Thanos becoming god like and threatening the entire universe, they can do that rather quickly.

Still think they should have him go in and wreck Asgard and have Thor call in The Avengers to help. Maybe they fix the Bifrost and call in help from all nine realms to fight Thanos. Frost Giants, The Destroyer, The Warriors Three, The Avengers, etc. all going to town on Thanos.

Tobor

They can't do Infinity Gauntlet for the same reason if you ask me.

They could do IG, you can write around it. You'd have to nerf the Gauntlet, but it's possible. You can't write around a superhero registration act for 10 people.

marrec

Banned
In the respect of having hundreds of characters trying to take on Thanos, no. They cannot.

But Thanos becoming god like and threatening the entire universe, they can do that rather quickly.

Still think they should have him go in and wreck Asgard and have Thor call in The Avengers to help. Maybe they fix the Bifrost and call in help from all nine realms to fight Thanos. Frost Giants, The Destroyer, The Warriors Three, The Avengers, etc. all going to town on Thanos.

I think a big reason Infinity Gauntlet is still so remembered is because he killed off half of everyone with a snap of his fingers. You can't do that effectively with only 6 on your main team.

Something like you suggest would probably work better and would be entertaining, but it wouldn't be Infinity Gauntlet in the strictest sense.

My most perfect movie ever:

First this happens:

Ultron gets introduced at the end of Ant-man.
Ties with Vision appearence in Ironman 3.
Thor 2 has no villains, it is a love story!
Captain America 2 is a cop movie.
Guardians of the Galaxy happens.

Agent Coulson was a Kree!
Marvel anounces Namor.

Then Avengers 2 is made in two split movies:

Thanos is heading to earth, destroying whole galaxies in the way. The Guardians fail miserably, Nova gets to know his intentions and flees to warn earth.
Meanwhile Ultron is going crazy because Hank Pym(p) is a fool.
Globetrotting while Avengers get severely fucked up, but defeat Ultron.
Nova arrives saying Earth is fucked.
End of movie 1.

Movie 2 begins.

On the way, Thanos wreck shit on Asgard and finds the Gauntlet. He now has an even bigger thirst for death.
Thanos arrives rumbling. Kills an entire continent.
All the ruckus disturbs Namor. He brawls along Nova.
The presence of Thanos boils Agent Coulson kree blood, who was in a 'sleep' (death lol).
He enters the fight. Avengers reassemble all fucked up, give Thanos a run for his money.
Thanos is on the verge of losing. Some loser (probably Hank Pym and Thor) say Thanos will never get the gem that is in location X. Thanos flees and manages to get the gem, leaves Earth.
But he says at the very end:
I'll rape you all out of existence soon enough.

Movie ends.

Post credits scene: Silver Surfer appears flying and says to a huge purple skirt man eating a planet: I sense this universe is coming to an end.

Post post credits scene: Spidey appears and says "That gauntlet would fit me awesomely!"

I think a big reason Infinity Gauntlet is still so remembered is because he killed off half of everyone with a snap of his fingers. You can't do that effectively with only 6 on your main team.

Something like you suggest would probably work better and would be entertaining, but it wouldn't be Infinity Gauntlet in the strictest sense.

Not in the strictest sense, but would still be large scale enough. Just having him threaten all the known realms of Asgard or something and all of them having to work together to stop ONE bad guy (not an army) would be so great to see on screen.

duckroll

Yeah, they said the next three Marvel movies (Cap 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2) will all be self contained and not feed toward anything which I think is kind of blah.
I wonder if this success of the Avengers will change things.

They didn't say they wouldn't feed towards anything. They said the stories are self contained, which means they're not like Iron Man 2 where SHIELD is in 1/3 of the entire movie talking about the Avengers Initiative and Captain America's shield, or whatever. But I'm sure they'll still have little hints hidden in the background and in the post-credit scenes.

marrec

Banned
Not in the strictest sense, but would still be large scale enough. Just having him threaten all the known realms of Asgard or something and all of them having to work together to stop ONE bad guy (not an army) would be so great to see on screen.

Watching Thanos wreck the Avengers would be a sight to behold ya. Especially in the ruins of Asgard.

They didn't say they wouldn't feed towards anything. They said the stories are self contained, which means they're not like Iron Man 2 where SHIELD is in 1/3 of the entire movie talking about the Avengers Initiative and Captain America's shield, or whatever. But I'm sure they'll still have little hints hidden in the background and in the post-credit scenes.

Yup. Gotta build up the hype to justify the Avengers assembling again.

Watching Thanos wreck the Avengers would be a sight to behold ya. Especially in the ruins of Asgard.

We have not yet had a comic book team movie where the entire team is fighting a single bad guy at the same time. It is always the team split off into groups, etc. Avengers did it best, but I still want a super hero movie with one insanely powerful villain fucking up the entire team at the same time. I think we will finally get that with Thanos.

Tobor

I liked the way Cap and Thor lead in. The Cube is set up in Cap, Loki in Thor, and they come together in The Avengers.

Blader

I don't think the MCU will ever be big enough to do a total Civil War movie, but I could definitely see Avengers 2 having something to do with the government or World Security Council or whoever overthrowing SHIELD, labeling the Avengers rogues, hunting them down with their own team (Masters of Evil/Liberators/Thunderbolts/whatever). This has already been set up to a small degree with the council not approving of the Avengers initiative, some of the public being distrustful of the team, etc.

It would fit Whedon's statement about the threat in the sequel having to be smaller and more personal.

I don't think the MCU will ever be big enough to do a total Civil War movie, but I could definitely see Avengers 2 having something to do with the government or World Security Council or whoever overthrowing SHIELD, labeling the Avengers rogues, hunting them down with their own team (Masters of Evil/Liberators/Thunderbolts/whatever). This has already been set up to a small degree with the council not approving of the Avengers initiative, some of the public being distrustful of the team, etc.

It would fit Whedon's statement about the threat in the sequel having to be smaller and more personal.

Yeah and more "painful" I think he said too. Could possibly tie in with The Hulk getting out of control, the relationship between Thor/Loki discovered etc.

We didn't see the public in Avengers 'till the very end. The human race, the ones the Avengers were fighting for in the first place. And correct me if I'm wrong, but in that newsreel montage they showed of the public reaction to the Avengers, weren't some saying they were more of a menace than a good? Sounds like foreshadowing to me.

Tobor

That would be amazing if Whedon made a kick ass X-Men movie starring the Avengers.

Top Bottom