• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Sony will never give up the cash cow. they got such a sweetheart deal on Spidey at the expense of Marvel.

Now it's in perpetuity.... as long as they make them, they keep the rights. Which is a shame, I'd love for Marvel to get it and work their magic with it.

But who knows, with Disney at the helm they could open up the checkbook and go nuts to get attempt to get everything under one roof.

Marvel/Disney oughta use Miles Morales as the Spider-Man of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and let Sony keep Peter Parker.

It's a pity Fox still has the rights to the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer. They and Dr. Doom would fit the MCU perfectly.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Marvel/Disney oughta use Miles Morales as the Spider-Man of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and let Sony keep Peter Parker.

It's a pity Fox still has the rights to the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer. They and Dr. Doom would fit the MCU perfectly.

They can keep their FF, I want Deadpool in the Avengers.

Hightower

Banned

They can't even do that... Sony owns Spidey... all of it.

I like that hot youtube chicks idea that the film GOTG is basically just the heroes getting annihilated to show how much shit the Avenegers will have on their plate in A2. And yeah, they need to cool off with the Stark appearances.

I think they should have Thanos invade Asgard or something and just waste everyone there. That would be a good way to set up just how big of a threat he is.

Hightower

Banned
There was already supposed to be a Spidey-presence in Avengers; the Oscorp building would be in a shot as you pan around Stark tower. Unfortunatly, the go-ahead came in too late and the building could not be incorporated.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/avengers-amazing-spider-man-reference-revealed

IF Sony and Marvel came THIS close, there's no reason why a collaboration in the future is completely out of the question.

A building with a name on it is a way different thing from having a character itself in a competing property.

I doubt Sony would do it.

TDLink

They can't even do that... Sony owns Spidey... all of it.

Actually, they absolutely can use Miles Morales. They just can't give him the Spider-Man suit, or call him Spider-Man. The license agreements Fox and Sony have all specifically list out which characters are included. The agreements look like this: "Spider-Man/Peter Parker". So this means Sony has the rights to Spider-Man the character and Peter Parker the character. They don't have the rights to Miles Morales, but Marvel can't make him Spider-Man due to this agreement anyways. However...

Disney was able to use the Iron Patroit for Iron Man 3, and that belonged to the Green Goblin.

This is a good example of how Disney is using the loophole I described above to use something for the MCU. The Sony contract states "Green Goblin/Harry Osborne", it doesn't mention Iron Patriot. Hence, Marvel can use Iron Patriot so long as it isn't Harry Osborne, which they're doing.

ReiGun

Using Miles instead of Pete would be pretty genius, (especially given all the Ultimate universe influences already present in the MCU) but I imagine most people would scream bloody murder.

Nesotenso

Using Miles instead of Pete would be pretty genius, (especially given all the Ultimate universe influences already present in the MCU) but I imagine most people would scream bloody murder.

Fuck Miles Morales. If I want to see any version of Spidey mix it up with the Avengers it better be Peter Parker.

Please. The only reason the Iron Patriot was cool was because of Norman Osborn's ridiculously inflated opinion of himself.

If you want to do the Iron Patriot right you first do a Green Goblin movie, then set the Iron Patriot up, come on. Taking the design of the character but stripping away everything that makes him cool is how we ended up with movie Dr. Doom.

Miles Morales is ARACHNID DUDE

coming summer 2016

Miles is a Spider.... man!

I think Sony wouldn't object to a name drop in A2, considering they were willing to collaborate on the oscorp tower. And i think it'll be the best we get at this point.

Stark: You hear about the creepy crawler that popped up in New York? We're coming out the woodwork.
Banner: Hadn't heard of that one.

TDLink

Miles Morales is ARACHNID DUDE

coming summer 2016

Yeah they could do something like this. More likely, if they were going to attempt it, they would just never directly refer to his super hero name. Sort of like how Hawkeye was never really called Hawkeye in The Avengers. Just "The Hawk" in like one scene. Now, they could have called him Hawkeye, they just didn't. If they were going to go down this road with Miles it would be more a necessity.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
A building with a name on it is a way different thing from having a character itself in a competing property.

I doubt Sony would do it.

Having a building from a competing franchise is a first step. Both Sony and Marvel would benefit from a collaboration, but it would take some massive egos to be pushed aside in order to let awesomeness ensue.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Also, Marvel/Disney can use Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch due to their connection to the Avengers. They just can't mention that they're mutants or Magneto's children.

ReiGun

Fuck Miles Morales. If I want to see any version of Spidey mix it up with the Avengers it better be Peter Parker.
Like a said, bloody murder.

I personally would rather Spider-man not be in the Avengers at all. He's my favorite superhero, but there's other characters I'd rather.

I kinda hope Wanda and Pietro are in Avengers 2. It'd be cool! Scarlet Witch is a classic Avenger and it'd be interesting to throw a brother/sister dynamic into the middle of an already volatile team.

LosDaddie

Banned
because it gets old, fast

I love him, dont get me wrong, but the Marvel universe is so rich that basically going "IRON MAN'S EVERYWHERE" is stupid. As good an actor RDJ is, Tony Stark has a shtick, and while im still enjoying it, I dont want an overdose

*yawn*

So far Stark has really only been in IM 1 & 2, and the Avengers. Yes, he appeared in IH, but that was all but 1min long...at the very end of the movie. There hasn't been an overdose yet. You're just being a worry wort.

Well, Garfield and the producers said they wanted Spidey in Avengers 2.

But it's best for everyone to assume it'll never happen.

I'm assuming that Sony will continue being a cunt, and Spidey will never be an Avenger. Sad, but oh well. I'd much rather have Wolverine in A2, than the emo Spidey we got in ASM.

Please. The only reason the Iron Patriot was cool was because of Norman Osborn's ridiculously inflated opinion of himself.

If you want to do the Iron Patriot right you first do a Green Goblin movie, then set the Iron Patriot up, come on. Taking the design of the character but stripping away everything that makes him cool is how we ended up with movie Dr. Doom.

Agreed (though I don't think you need a whole Green Goblin movie to set that up). It's a little lame that they're essentially just using the design but at least it makes sense in context. Plus it's not like they could have done it the right way any time soon. I just look at it more like a nod to people in the know.

They can keep their FF, I want Deadpool in the Avengers.
Fox has that too :[ Though at least what they're developing at the moment sounds promising.

Hightower

Banned
Actually, they absolutely can use Miles Morales. They just can't give him the Spider-Man suit, or call him Spider-Man. The license agreements Fox and Sony have all specifically list out which characters are included. The agreements look like this: "Spider-Man/Peter Parker". So this means Sony has the rights to Spider-Man the character and Peter Parker the character. They don't have the rights to Miles Morales, but Marvel can't make him Spider-Man due to this agreement anyways. However...

Whats the point of using Miles if you cant put him in the suit, call him Spider-man or anything of that matter?

I don't really get everyone clamoring for Spidey to even BE an Avenger. He's not one of the iconic ones. He's only joined the team recently as a full time member.

If you're going to complain about Spidey not being in the Avengers, then you might as well complain about Wolverine not being in it too.

Dram

The only ones Marvel doesn't have are

Fox: X-Men and Fantastic Four

Sony: Spider-Man, Ghost Rider and I think Men in Black

Dai101

Banned
Want a superhero movie with Shuma-Gorath?

hb_141Hellboy.jpg

Watch HellBoy.

I already watched it. Now i need the real deal. Also it'll make sense since the villians had been escalating in power, from normal human in power suits to demigods to cosmic menace (Thanos) to dimmensional beigns (Dormammu) to WTFarewegoingtodoagainst that,we'refucked (Shuma)

Yeah they could do something like this. More likely, if they were going to attempt it, they would just never directly refer to his super hero name. Sort of like how Hawkeye was never really called Hawkeye in The Avengers. Just "The Hawk" in like one scene. Now, they could have called him Hawkeye, they just didn't. If they were going to go down this road with Miles it would be more a necessity.
Well I certainly hope not.

Why do you all want watered down versions of Spider-Man. Avengers was incredible without him, don't try to just add a Spider-Man if it's not the real deal.

Agreed (though I don't think you need a whole Green Goblin movie to set that up). It's a little lame that they're essentially just using the design but at least it makes sense in context. Plus it's not like they could have done it the right way any time soon. I just look at it more like a nod to people in the know.
No, I said that simply because I want a Green Goblin movie.

And I like the nod. But that's not the Iron Patriot.

And Mephisto is stronger than Dormammu in his realm but Dormammu is stronger in his. In neutrall territory, Dormammu is much more powerful.

J10

Banned
Having a building from a competing franchise is a first step. Both Sony and Marvel would benefit from a collaboration, but it would take some massive egos to be pushed aside in order to let awesomeness ensue.

It has less to do with ego and more to do with business. These are brands they have to sustain and protect. Studios will always go where the money is, and right now Marvel is printing it. Amazing Spider-Man is the lowest grossing film in that franchise; they have to be looking at ways to keep those numbers up, so a potential Avengers crossover is something to look at seriously. Then the main problems are logistical; once the continuities are merged they have to figure out how to maintain them. Marvel controls the continuity in their movies, but they wouldn't control Spider-Man's unless there's a stipulation in this hypothetical agreement with SONY that gives them authority over certain creative aspects regarding timelines, places, events, etc. This would be fairly doable if they did it right now since Spidey just got rebooted, but that window of opportunity probably shrinks the longer they wait to do it.

A Wolverine/X-Men crossover would have to be a cross-dimensional/alternate-earth type of thing. There's really no reconciling those two universes otherwise. One side visits the other, comes back home, and the mess made is minimal.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I kinda hope Wanda and Pietro are in Avengers 2. It'd be cool! Scarlet Witch is a classic Avenger and it'd be interesting to throw a brother/sister dynamic into the middle of an already volatile team.

more likely to get War Machine, Falcon, Vision, Hank Pym, Wasp, or Black Panther, fingers crossed for Ms Marvel. Id love those two but i wonder if Marvel or Fox ultimately can put them in a movie.

A Wolverine/X-Men crossover would have to be a cross-dimensional/alternate-earth type of thing. There's really no reconciling those two universes otherwise. One side visits the other, comes back home, and the mess made is minimal.

Agreed. It would be relatively easy to establish the new Spider-Man continuity in the Avengers movieverse, simply explain that the events that led to the creation of Spider-Man hadn't occurred until Avengers 2 or something. Mutants are much harder to do because they play such a major part in public focus. It's really too late at this point to pull in X-Men or Fantastic Four because their foundations, historically, should pre-date the Avengers in the movieverse by quite a long time.

But who the hell are we kidding, Sony will never agree to it unless they're given a ridiculous cut of profits or something.

more likely to get War Machine, Falcon, Vision, Hank Pym, Wasp, or Black Panther, fingers crossed for Ms Marvel. Id love those two but i wonder if Marvel or Fox ultimately can put them in a movie.

Marvel can as long as they don't mention that they're mutants. I think Fox can use them without restrictions though I'm curious why they haven't tried to yet. That's one of the weird ones in the contract because of their close ties to both Avengers and X-Men.

TDLink

Whats the point of using Miles if you cant put him in the suit, call him Spider-man or anything of that matter?

I don't really get everyone clamoring for Spidey to even BE an Avenger. He's not one of the iconic ones. He's only joined the team recently as a full time member.

If you're going to complain about Spidey not being in the Avengers, then you might as well complain about Wolverine not being in it too.

Well I certainly hope not.

Why do you all want watered down versions of Spider-Man. Avengers was incredible without him, don't try to just add a Spider-Man if it's not the real deal.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with both of you. It is pointless to use Miles without him being Spider-Man and I would want Peter over him anyways. All I'm saying is that Marvel could technically use him and thus there is somewhat of a loophole.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

My top 3 Avengers I want in the group (not announced) would be:
Vision & Jocasta
Ms. Marvel
Namor

ReiGun

Meh. Maybe I'm just not as loyal to this stuff as y'all, but I figure we've seen Pete in more than a few movies and everywhere basically. What would be the harm in using Miles instead? *shrug* Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

It's all moot since Spidey will probably not be in the mcu -- a fact I am quite comfortable with -- but still. It would be neat.

Top Bottom