• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

sant

I haven't read the comics or anything, but from reading the plot summaries for Planet Hulk, this sounds awesome.

J10

Banned
2008: Iron Man
2008: The Incredible Hulk
2010: Iron Man 2
2011: Thor
2011: Captain America: The First Avenger
2012: The Avengers
2013: Iron Man 3
2013: Thor: The Dark World
2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2014: Guardians of the Galaxy
2015: The Avengers 2
2015: Ant Man
2016:
Dr. Strange
2016:
Planet Hulk
2017: Iron Man 4?
2017: Thor 3?
2018: Captain America 3?
2018:
The Avengers 3: World War Hulk

For fucks sake, they have to fit Black Panther in there somewhere.

Planet Hulk/World War Hulks
would be a pretty lame way to end the franchise (Avengers 3 will more than likely be the final movie for several of these actors/characters). There are so many big Avengers villians I would rather they tackle instead like Ultron, Kang the Conquerer, Masters of Evil, Kree/Skrull war, or even the Civil War storyline. Seems like the only reason they would be considering this is because of how much the audience loved the character in Avengers. So its like Boba Fett snydrome.

I'd look to Thor to see what happens in avengers 2. I think Thanos will be picked up on GOTG .

I image phase 3 will have more cosmic movie(Nova?)

pants

Summary (SPOILER WARNING):
- Hulk carried off into space by Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Illuminati at the end of Avengers 2
- Hulk gets solo film in Phase 3 in the form of Planet Hulk
- Hulk returns to Earth in Avengers 3, which is a World War Hulk adaptation

I don't know anything about those story lines as I haven't read the comics, but sounds intriguing!

Holy shit, it's beautiful

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
would be a pretty lame way to end the franchise (Avengers 3 will more than likely be the final movie for several of these actors/characters). There are so many big Avengers villians I would rather they tackle instead like Ultron, Kang the Conquerer, Masters of Evil, Kree/Skrull war, or even the Civil War storyline. Seems like the only reason they would be considering this is because of how much the audience loved the character in Avengers. So its like Boba Fett snydrome.

Fox owns the Skrulls due to the Fantastic Four films. That's why Marvel used the Chitauri in the Avengers instead of the Skrulls.

Makes sense to me. Hulk made a gigantic splash in The Avengers. People have been wondering why there hasn't been any news about him yet tons of details on everyone else. The reason is there's huge plans for him. I also get concerns about potentially less Banner but they've done the "fight within" stuff in movies 3 times now. Marvel will have established cosmic stuff by then, too. It all falls in place, plus Latino Review is very trustworthy.

J10

Banned

It won't be the end of the franchise. Stark, Thor, and Cap can finish off their trilogies but they could continue to cameo as Marvel continues to introduce new characters, and every phase can culminate in a team movie (hopefully featuring teams of villains as well someday). There's no reason the Avengers can't go on for a long time in multiple configurations, just like in the comics. What Marvel is doing is unprecedented and it could be the cinematic equivalent of a Battle Star Galactica or a Lost - yeah, it'll end eventually, but they won't have to reboot for a really long time if they keep the quality up and not muddle the continuity.

Really though, I'm just waiting for Squirrel Girl/Great Lakes Avengers.

I dunno if i'd be too thrilled with the shitting on Hulk like that, I get the comic arc but the movie just established he can control his powers and be a team player. Maybe if they pulled the hurled into space angle by a villain but I don't really wanna see him rampaging over earth on revenge. I like Banner too much :'(

Introducing Ant-Man and then not doing Ultron (or making us wait till phase 4) would be a big waste.

Here, here!

Ultron is a thing you need to build over multiple movies. I want WASP :(

I want Wasp as well, but Ultron would not need a multi movie set up. Unless you count Pym's introduction as one of them.

And somehow I think that in the movies, Ultron's AI will be based on JARVIS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No way. He needs a reason to
retaliate against earth
. And I want to see the fucking
Illuminati meeting where they vote
*shivers*. Only issue is that Marvel doesnt own the film rights to 2 of those characters.. but yeah
Reed and Xavier? (*is working of shaky memories of that scene*)

shit, sorry for the worthless double post.

Mafro

Reed and Xavier? (*is working of shaky memories of that scene*)

shit, sorry for the worthless double post.
They could probably easily replace them with Captain America, Black Panther or Nick Fury. I'm not sure who holds the rights to the Inhumans for Black Bolt, though.

I dunno if i'd be too thrilled with the shitting on Hulk like that, I get the comic arc but the movie just established he can control his powers and be a team player. Maybe if they pulled the hurled into space angle by a villain but I don't really wanna see him rampaging over earth on revenge. I like Banner too much :'(

Yeah as much as Planet Hulk could be cool, I agree with you. At the end of Avengers, Banner is the most in control he's ever been, so it's a bit weird if in Avengers 2 he's suddenly so out of control that they want to banish him to another planet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was gonna say, the MCU version of Fury would fit in with the Illuminati fine. If I remember right, Prof. X wasn't actually a part of that decision, so no biggie there?

Blader

It would probably just be the Avengers themselves who do it. There aren't enough super-powered people in the MCU for the Illuminati's gimmick to make sense.

I was gonna say, the MCU version of Fury would fit in with the Illuminati fine. If I remember right, Prof. X wasn't actually a part of that decision, so no biggie there?

Xavier was absent, yeah. Hulk spared him, but I don't know if it was because of that or if Hulk refuses to smash disabled persons.

Should be easy to have Fury replace Richards. The real problem is introducing Namor and Black Bolt and explaining who they are, where they come from, and why they're important.

It would probably just be the Avengers themselves who do it. There aren't enough super-powered people in the MCU for the Illuminati's gimmick to make sense.

This is definitely more likely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*pause for ponderance*

Can Xavier not mind-caress Hulk when he's Hulked?

edit: Oh shit, yeah. Namor was crucial in that bit.
Agh. This is a bit of a pity. If we could just consider the best of X-Men and Spidey to have been in the same universe there sure would be enough. It's so sad to think that not just obscure-but-exquisite characters, but major audience favorites and key universe players are being boxed out of this universe by something as pedestrian as "contractual studio obligations."

The MCU stuff is high-quality enough that I really wish the entire Marvel domain was fair game. I don't think any of the other films have been good enough to warrant either an unrelated universe of intrinsically-related characters or a "this is actually the only superhero in this universe" approach. It's just a damn shame.

Tobor

I think it will be the council that fought with Fury in Avengers 1. It will be a set up, so Hulk will think it was his friends that did it.

richiek

I think it will be the council that fought with Fury in Avengers 1. It will be a set up, so Hulk will think it was his friends that did it.

The short film "The Consultant" sets up the fact the the World Security Council does not like Hulk, since they preferred the Abomination to be on the Avengers instead.

FoneBone

Yeah.

Again - Latino-Review's track record is REALLY solid. And Marvel, as everyone online who even cares to post about this shit knows, is really forward-thinking/forward-looking when it comes to their plans. Everyone has crowned Kevin Feige as a goddamned genius for pulling off the Phase 1 planning, culminating in Avengers massive critical/box-office success. You think there ISN'T a plan that reaches 5-6 years into the future? You think that plan hasn't been relayed to people inside the company?

You think Mayimbe, whose site's entire reputation is almost entirely based on the fact they're one of the last websites in the film blogging world that does this sort of thing, is going to put himself on blast in this manner, without having SOMEONE inside that building (or a couple someones) confirm to him the details of that plan?

If it's wrong, it's wrong - but he's gotta be pretty confident that it's not wrong to put his ass in the wind like this.

El Mayimbe was also very, very adamant that Black Panther would be their next movie post-Captain America 2.

Tobor

The short film "The Consultant" sets up the fact the the World Security Council does not like Hulk, since they preferred the Abomination to be on the Avengers instead.

Not to mention they overruled Fury and launched a nuke at NYC to try and stop the invasion. I'm almost certain they'll be behind it if the Hulk storyline is true.

Blader

Yeah, that's a good point.

El Mayimbe was also very, very adamant that Black Panther would be their next movie post-Captain America 2.

He was also the one who revealed Thanos would appear at the end of The Avengers.

Cth

I see it like this..

The World Council are the ones responsible for shipping the Hulk off planet. Either framing Stark as the one doing it, or tricking him into doing so. They'll either have him kill someone who doesn't wanna return (Hawkeye/Widow) or frame the Hulk to get them to ship him off planet.

The Hulkbuster armor gets teased in IM3 much like Cap's shield was teased. Avengers need new members and recruit Pym who develops Ultron to proactively stop the Hulk from returning but it rebels. Hulk returns to Earth with the team torn (ala Civil War) between the decision and dealing with Ultron going nuts. Like the Ultimates, Hulk will be the thing that turns the tide when he learns the truth and fights with the Avengers one last time.

He leaves the Avengers echoing the first couple of issues over mistrust. Now that Namor and Dr Strange are around, he'll likely be shipped off to make a Defenders film.

EDIT: It gives Whedon his "more personal" angle he wants for Avengers 2 and he loves the Stark/Banner dynamic.. so there's that as well.

Tobor

The only thing I feel certain of is the WSC will be behind it, and Hulk will be convinced his friends have betrayed him, whether any of them are involved or not.

Other than that all bets are off. Does Fury know, and does he try to stop it? Are any of the Avengers in on it? Tony wouldn't do it with their friendship, but maybe someone else becomes convinced and betrays Banner? Someone new to the team? A "traitor" in the mix could fracture the team nicely.

Thankfully they have Whedon. I'm confident he'll set this up properly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If there's a traitor it's black widow. And then she has to end up not actually being a traitor. Except she is.

richiek

The only thing I feel certain of is the WSC will be behind it, and Hulk will be convinced his friends have betrayed him, whether any of them are involved or not.

Other than that all bets are off. Does Fury know, and does he try to stop it? Are any of the Avengers in on it? Tony wouldn't do it with their friendship, but maybe someone else becomes convinced and betrays Banner? Someone new to the team? A "traitor" in the mix could fracture the team nicely.

Thankfully they have Whedon. I'm confident he'll set this up properly.

I'm also guessing Thunderbolt Ross may also have a hand in this as well. I've heard rumors that William Hurt may make an appearance in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Tobor

If there's a traitor it's black widow. And then she has to end up not actually being a traitor. Except she is.

She's a little obvious, I think. It could work.

What if the person who does this thinks it's the right thing to do. A sacrifice for the greater good. And a person who's been at odds with Tony. It's flipping the original illuminati from Planet Hulk on it's head, but I can't see Iron Man being involved after A1. RDJ's Tony Stark wouldn't do it. Cap might if he thought it was the only way to save the world. And it would certainly fracture the team.

I'm also guessing Thunderbolt Ross may also have a hand in this as well. I've heard rumors that William Hurt may make an appearance in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Verrry interesting. This doesn't count out Black Widow, of course, since she's in Winter Soldier as well.

mjc

I'm having a hard time figuring out what would make the Hulk flip so hard in A2 that they Avengers have to ship him off. The World Council has to have something to do with it...but I don't know.

Slayven

Hulk mollywhopping anybody and everybody? I think now

Top Bottom