• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

But I've subscribed to this thread. I can't be bothered to scour OT every hour of the day looking for new news on Marvel stuff. I want it aggregated here. =(

To be fair, the big news often does at least get posted in here but the actual in depth speculation and discussion on it tends to get posted in other topics.. There also hasn't been any big news for a few weeks, mostly just Civil War set photos.

It is my hope that one day this thread is going to get more lively again. But we'll see.

bengraven

I just realized that if either Martin's character survives and is in Infinity War or Dr. Strange cameos in Civil War, we're going to have the THIRD meeting of Freeman and Cumberbatch on screen.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm gonna say one of the new female members will be Mantis. She's an easy inclusion & is an awesome character to boot. Plus she's been featured in the GotG comics recently.
Gunn shits on Bendis. Her inclusion in Bendis Run makes it more realistic that she wont appear.

Neoxon

Gunn shits on Bendis. Her inclusion in Bendis Run makes it more realistic that she wont appear.
I'm not saying Gunn will include her because of Bendis. I'm actually suggesting the other way around, that Bendis is including her because Gunn is.

I was going to say that Mantis is technically from Earth so it's unlikely that it's her based on Gunn's previous comments... but I guess the same goes for Moondragon.

Neoxon

I was going to say that Mantis is technically from Earth so it's unlikely that it's her based on Gunn's previous comments... but I guess the same goes for Moondragon.
But she isn't a human (or even half human) if I recall correctly. And you could make the same argument for Drax, whose origin was changed for the movie.

Neoxon

Nikki & Phyla.
The problem with Phyla-Vell is that she's the OG Captain Marvel's daughter, so you'd have to explain that (but it would give some connective tissue for Captain Marvel). Plus you'd screw over Wendell Vaughn if you jump straight for Phyla-Vell (see Hank Pym, but at least Ant-Man mentions that Hank was originally Ant-Man in the 60's).

Then again, Gunn could just change certain details of her origin like he did for Drax. And the fact that she was in EMH gave her some public awareness.

TDLink

I hope Mantis is one of them since she's the best female GotG character. I'm guessing Moondragon will be the other (if one is Mantis) since she has a Thanos connection. Personally I'm pretty "eh" on Moondragon, but I'll tolerate it if we at least get Mantis.

I basically want Mantis and Cosmo (for real) in this movie. Everything else doesn't matter that much.

Adam Warlock would be cool too if I get a third desire.

If they put in Moondragon and Phyla but no Mantis...that would be pretty dumb. She's a core member of the GotG and it was really weird she wasn't there to begin with. Way more interesting than Gamora too.

Adam Warlock is more than locked.

Not necessarily, I read in an interview that Gunn was just flipping through some marvel art and thought the cocoon looked cool. It wasn't until after that he realized its significance to fans.

Found it:
James Gunn said:
"Yeah, there’s a cocoon that’s exactly like Adam Warlock’s. I wasn’t really thinking that much when I put that in. That was my idea to put that in there. They’re like, ‘What should we put in?" So I went in the Marvel handbook and like just picked cool things that looked neat to put into the boxes. It looked like Adam’s Warlock cocoon, so now everyone thinks he’s out of there and you know… I don’t know.

J10

Banned
Not necessarily, I read in an interview that Gunn was just flipping through some marvel art and thought the cocoon looked cool. It wasn't until after that he realized its significance to fans.

Found it:

He's lying. If he's such a fan of Abnett and Lanning then he knew exactly what he was doing, putting that in there.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He's lying. If he's such a fan of Abnett and Lanning then he knew exactly what he was doing, putting that in there.
This.
There ia no fucking way that we see a big Thanos Infinity Arc without Adam when he was teased so long.
Maybe it will be just a Aftercreditscene with a bursting cocon, but he will defenitly appear.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
People take everything Gunn says so seriously. He doesn't want human characters. That wasn't Warlock's cocoon. No Nova. Blah blah blah. He might have directed a breakout success in the MCU, but ultimately, as soon as he starts butting heads with the powers that be when he refuses to include certain things that "need" to be for larger story purposes...dude is gonna be kicked to the curb.

I also just think he's full of shit in general too. Of course he's going to say certain things to try and keep them surprises.

Quick

Banned
I'd like to think Gunn is just fucking with people with anything related to GOTG2 or future Marvel films.

Anything he tweets or posts without a direct script reference or Marvel branding, I'm taking with grains of salt.

On a related note, I'm curious if he'll have any official involvement in Infinity War. It directly affects his side of the MCU (cosmic) with the Russos (Earth-based). I'm thinking maybe a writing credit (in addition to Markus/McFeely) or producer maybe. This all boils down to if GOTG3 is happening and if he's still going to be directing and writing it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Does that mean AoS will only be 20 episodes for S3? or just have 2 movies (aka double eps) post Civil War?

Or maybe finish the 1st half with a movie, and the extra episode will extend the show for one more week before a finale movie?

No. The shows have different budget pools.

It's possible that, as ABC was figuring out the intricacies of its schedule this year, it realized that it needed Agent Carter to hold down 2 1/2 months instead of just 2 months like last year, so it's throwing a little more cash at the producers this time around to produce two more episodes.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Scott Derrickson just tweeted this:

CE3bUIFUEAA17qZ.jpg

Dat Infinity War setup:

3784084-1353443870-Thano.jpg

duckroll

No. The shows have different budget pools.

It's possible that, as ABC was figuring out the intricacies of its schedule this year, it realized that it needed Agent Carter to hold down 2 1/2 months instead of just 2 months like last year, so it's throwing a little more cash at the producers this time around to produce two more episodes.

He's not talking about budget, he's talking about schedule. There are only so many weeks in a season. So if there are 22 episodes of AoS and 10 episodes of Agent Carter, there'll have to be doubling up of episodes at some point. As it is, this time round Agent Carter and AoS both had weeks of double episodes because there weren't enough weeks.

Edit: Just calculated, and AoS S3 should start on Sep 22 this year, and there are about 34 weeks between that and May 10 2016 which is when the finale should air. It looks like Agent Carter might start in mid-Dec this time rather than Jan, because otherwise the second half of AoS will be much shorter (9 weeks if Carter starts on Jan 5 and runs through to Mar 8). Unless that's the plan?

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
I'm not sure if anyone has caught this or not, or if it's already been discussed or not, but here goes nothing.

In Avengers, in discussion of Loki's manipulation of the Tesseract/Space Stone, we find Tony Stark saying this:

"Unless Selvig has figured out how to stabalize the quantum tunneling effect."

This statement is thrown in with a barrage of other science-y terms that at the time just went over most of our heads. No harm done, right?

Fast forward to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., season two. Things have picked up, super-powered peoples are all over the place, and we see another bamfer (see Nightcrawler in X2: X-Men United) be awesome at what they do. Yes, Gordon seems to be the all-around go-to guy for the Inhumans who want anything done, which ends up working against them when he's over-utilized and is then able to be tracked by the evil H.Y.D.R.A..

How, you wonder? By something called..."quantum entanglement".

Now I am no physics/science expert by any means. I know next to nothing about any of this stuff. I tried looking for a quick answer online for the difference between quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement, and found no quick answer. After reading the first couple of paragraphs of each effect's Wikipedia page, I've found that they aren't synonamous, but are related. The question becomes, to what extent, and more importantly for this discussion, howso when dealing with the MCU's cosmic principles.

Could it be that Gordon's powers enabled him to trick natural laws into thinking his body was one particle (quantum entanglement), whereby he could teleport (quantum tunneling)? Could he be teleporting in a similar/same way that the Tesseract creates wormholes for others to move from one place to another?

If these are indeed similar/synonamous functions, then the ability H.Y.D.R.A. gained to trace these teleportations could be incredibly valuable to anyone (good or bad) who is actively seeking the Space Stone, or could possibly even be used to reverse engineer the process and create an artificial teleporter.

Just throwing this concept into your guys' laps. Hope this made sense.

J10

Banned
I like the idea that all superpowers in the universe could be traced back to the stones and people just have to find ways to tap into those energies to use them. There's an easy way to tie into beings like Celestials, Beyonders, Abstracts.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I like the idea that all superpowers in the universe could be traced back to the stones and people just have to find ways to tap into those energies to use them. There's an easy way to tie into beings like Celestials, Beyonders, Abstracts.

In the MCU, the Collector said the six stones are the essence of six primordial powers that existed before the birth of the (MCU) universe. You could see it this way: the powers are something older than the universe and do not operate within the bounds of physical laws defined in the big bang. Thus the six stones allow one to examine these alien physics and replicate them, seeming to break ordinary laws. Like conservation of mass and energy.

For example, Zola understood enough of the Tesseract/Space Stone's physics to create energy weapons that disintegrate matter without a nuclear fission explosion.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
James Gunn confirms that Kang the Conquerer belongs to Fox. Goddamit.

6wq2spo.jpg

Crosses fingers for the Fantastic Four film to bomb.

jph139

Weird that Kang would be caught up in rights issues since he's an Avengers villain 99% of the time. I guess because of Rama-Tut/Immortus having his first appearance in FF comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom