• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/605845105749065728

CGhk6dMUcAEbVut.jpg

Emma Ishta to play Captain Marvel???

She's obviously the nex Spider-Man.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's Umberto but the discussion is valid enough I think. Bear in mind this is all rumour. http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/5/31/a-look-inside-marvels-phase-2-of-netflix-shows

The next Netflix series, AKA Jessica Jones, will feature a great deal of crossover with Daredevil, partly because more actors are cast. Daredevil was in production before anyone else was cast, which is why there were no other appearances.

Netflix Phase II

Marvel is planning a Phase II that will include Defenders, however this won’t take place until 2017. As of right now, the plan is for two or three Netflix series a year, which means that we won’t get Defenders until 2017.

Daredevil season 2 is coming, but won’t air for a while. As for those Elektra rumors and the leaked audition tapes? They’re real. Elektra is coming.

The powers that be at Marvel have also been toying with the idea of adding characters like Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider, but there are risks with each of those characters. Not only are they darker and more violent, but two of them require supernatural elements in order to tell their stories. The inclusion of these characters could send Netflix over to the goofy side, which is something they’re very afraid of Ghost Rider would also rely on CGI too much for the studio’s taste.

It would also be difficult to incorporate the stories of these characters smoothly. Blade and Punisher are perceived to be rather one-note to carry a series on their own. The heavy level of violence is also perceived to be a risk. They want a “hard PG-13,” instead of an R. And since none of the Defenders actively kill, throwing Punisher into the mix could be a challenge.

It’s far more likely that we’ll see a cameo and backdoor pilot. If it were to go well, like DC did with Firestorm on The Flash this year, it could lead to a new series.

The powers that be in Marvel’s TV universe, on the Netflix side anyways, are working hard to get film actors to cameo. Right now, they are pulling hard for Dr. Strange to appear in the Defenders series. However, that’s an item on the wish list that may never come to fruition. It’s far more likely we’ll see a supporting character come over to bridge things.

The final pipe dream we’re mentioning today is a limited Netflix movie or mini-series that would feature characters like Hawkeye or Black Widow. This could feature both TV and movie characters, effectively serving as a bridge between two worlds. Because so many planets would need to align, this is also very unlikely.

When you get right down to it, the TV side of the equation has much more to lose. Because of that, they’re trying to stay relevant. No one wants to look like they’re playing second fiddle, which is hard enough when you’re going up against massive blockbusters like The Avengers.

Finally, it’s a given that Jeph Loeb will not be calling the shots forever. Right now, there are plans to find a successor for when he does retire, which will probably be within the next few years.

There are other non-Netflix series in development as well, which will only complicate things further on down the road. Titles like Cloak and Dagger, Ms. Marvel and a Hulk prequel are all coming our way. Expect more fireworks behind the scenes soon.

I'm down for Cloak and Dagger and Ms. Marvel. Hulk prequel...eh. It will be interesting to see how the TV shows handle that supernatural side we were teased in DareDevil.

J10

Banned
Replace Ghost Rider with Moon Knight and treat Punisher like a villain. Ghost Rider should be in movies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't see why The Punisher can't be done with the rating of Daredevil. I mean come on, characters were having their heads decapitated with car doors, artfully shot to get the gross across without showing everything.

The appeal of The Punisher is in his relentless attitude as much as displays of graphic violence. I agree he would work great as a villain and used as a recurring supporting character. Just show most things from the perspective of other characters like Daredevil. Make Frank Castle a force of nature that blows in and guts buildings, then rocks out again. An ever-present danger the good guys fear as much as the bad guys. Because when he shows up everything goes to hell. Keep him mysterious. Nobody knows exactly what criteria warrants a Punisher strike. Even heroes are nervous when on patrol and intervening in violence.

Neoxon

Replace Ghost Rider with Moon Knight and treat Punisher like a villain. Ghost Rider should be in movies.
Given the direction that the MCU is going in, I'd say Ghost Rider is best saved for Netflix given the violent nature of his world. Plus if The Flash proved anything, it's that you shouldn't underestimate CGI on a TV budget (or in Netflix's case, an supercharged TV budget).

TV actors regularly film movies when the show is on break. Occasionally shows will accommodate for films as well and work around the actor's schedule.

I know. But with Marvel's tight schedule and possible appearances in films other than the Captain Marvel series, I don't think they will go with her.

XAL

Given the direction that the MCU is going in, I'd say Ghost Rider is best saved for Netflix given the violent nature of his world. Plus if The Flash proved anything, it's that you shouldn't underestimate CGI on a TV budget (or in Netflix's case, an supercharged TV budget).

Moon Knight would be a cool, dark, noir, horror, trippy series - the most recent run was fucking badass. White suit, white mask walking straight at the enemy.

They can do a Kate Bishop series with pizza dog. Hawkguy will never happen because he has a family on a farm, and ScarJo wouldn't do a TV series unless her movie career bombs (it probably won't anytime soon).

Punisher would be awesome anti-hero series, could have some cool run-ins with the Defenders and Moon Knight.

Ms. Marvel would be awesome as well. Probably would have the hardest execution with her Mr. Fantastic-y abilities. She could be in a second wave of Defenders with Kate Bishop.

And freaking She-Hulk, c'mon now.

kunonabi

Would love to see Punisher, Blade, and Cloak and Dagger get shows. Hulk prequel and Ms. Marvel are of no interest to me. Not sure how I feel about Ghost Rider. I'd be up for it if it potentially leads to more Midnight Sons stuff. Darkhold is still the tv show I probably want the most.

Neoxon

I know. But with Marvel's tight schedule and possible appearances in films other than the Captain Marvel series, I don't think they will go with her.
The TV actors are gonna have to cross over to the films eventually, & I have a gut feeling that the Defenders will be the first ones to do it. This would open the door for Kamala Khan to cross between TV & film.

J10

Banned
Best part of that article is the speculation that Kevin Fiege looks down on the TV stuff. Like he doesn't wanna share the sand box with the other kids.

Neoxon

Looks like that 2nd new member of the Guardians got cut from the script, now we're only getting 1 newbie. There's also this little gem.

In another half-hour Periscope session this evening, James Gunn fielded all sorts of questions from fans and opened the discussion by emphatically stating that on a scale of 1-10, his excitement is “72” for the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 script. And it’s because it’s entirely his, using characters that are entirely his to tell a new story that’s entirely his.
Someone pointed out that 72 could mean the year that Adam Warlock took the name we know him as today in April 1972. It's probably reaching a bit, but I'm pretty sure it's Adam who's still in the script.

The TV actors are gonna have to cross over to the films eventually, & I have a gut feeling that the Defenders will be the first ones to do it. This would open the door for Kamala Khan to cross between TV & film.

My comment wasn't about the Marvel TV characters. It was about actors on totally unrelated shows.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
They can do a Kate Bishop series with pizza dog. Hawkguy will never happen because he has a family on a farm, and ScarJo wouldn't do a TV series unless her movie career bombs (it probably won't anytime soon).

I can see Renner making a cameo apperance in a Kate Bishop series.

What would a Hulk prequel even be about?

I mean, I'd be happy to watch it and all since Banner/Hulk is kinda my favorite character, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have Ruffalo in it, so I'm not sure where they'd go with it. Kid Banner, getting beaten up by his dad? Teen Banner, almost blowing up his high school?

Ms. Marvel, I feel, would probably be the best pick here. Her comic book is practically screaming for a teen drama TV show to bring in the teenage girl audience.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What would a Hulk prequel even be about?

I mean, I'd be happy to watch it and all since Banner/Hulk is kinda my favorite character, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have Ruffalo in it, so I'm not sure where they'd go with it. Kid Banner, getting beaten up by his dad? Teen Banner, almost blowing up his high school?
MCU has no real Origin... So I assume it would be about this.

MCU has no real Origin... So I assume it would be about this.

Sure they did. The intro credits to the Incredible Hulk film was the origin.

Even if that's what they were getting at, it would still be pretty weird to have yet another actor play Banner in an overlapping time period like that.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Ghost Rider could be a show easy, problem is he can travel huge distances between stories and he requires cgi making his show the most expensive by default. But basically it would be a True Detective type of show. I think you are right though MoonKnight or NightThrasher is easier to accomplish or maybe even Taskmaster! *i can dream*

Those characters are cheaper to do, usually have a "stomping ground" and dont require massive cgi to be done well.

Ghost Rider is a wanderer in the wasteland of humanity.

a Hulk tv show is a no brainer but that is also the type of show that GR would be banner wandering the country side hulk trying to be left alone etc etc. I get the feeling that marvel with TV is trying to build up NYC's seedy underground environment. That kinda place that Larry Hama lived that inspired him to create the Punisher.

TDLink

I'm okay with this.

Also, TDLink, I haven't forgotten about the plan to update the thread. I've just been busy as hell lately.

It's alright, I have been also.Lots of stuff going on in my life, sometimes things just go that way. It's still something I'm going to try to get back to sooner or later though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom