• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Phase Is tagline was Avengers Assembled.
What do you think should Phase IIs be? Age of Miracles?

I think it will have something to do with heroes coming in many different forms, since that's a concept Feige spoke about a lot in the run-up to Ant-Man, plus you have Guardians, it started with Iron Man 3, etc.

"What Makes A Hero?" was my first thought, but that question mark is kind of obnoxious.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24910...ition_marvel_cinematic_universe_phase_two_box
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7EMJ4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now available for pre-order, check out this limited edition box set of all the Phase Two films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe! Learn more below and head over to Amazon to pre-order your copy today, coming this holiday season.

The limited-edition, 13-disc Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection invites you to hold the greatest power in the cosmos in the palm of your hand.

Contents include:
Marvel's "Iron Man 3" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)"
Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel's "Ant-Man" (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
This Marvel fan’s dream features collectible, specially designed disc holders and exclusive Marvel memorabilia!

edit: i am idiot and did not read four posts up

jmood88

They need to start adding some extra footage or something to make these collections worth buying. I already have all the movies so an extra box that'll just take up space is a waste.

I think it will have something to do with heroes coming in many different forms, since that's a concept Feige spoke about a lot in the run-up to Ant-Man, plus you have Guardians, it started with Iron Man 3, etc.

"What Makes A Hero?" was my first thought, but that question mark is kind of obnoxious.

Phase II: Thanos Is In The Next One

LaNaranja

I'm just buying them separately. The first box set was a huge disappointment. The cheap flimsy cardboard cases for the movies was a giant bummer. Especially considering how cool the art on them was. Would it have killed them to have put the films in a standard blu-ray case?

Anyway I am firmly in the Phase 2 > Phase 1 camp.

Iron Man 3 = Age of Ultron = Ant-Man > Winter Soldier > Thor 2 = Guardians > Avengers 1 > Cap 1 = Iron Man 2 > Thor > Incredible Hulk > Iron Man

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They need to start adding some extra footage or something to make these collections worth buying. I already have all the movies so an extra box that'll just take up space is a waste.
It has an extra "top secret" exclusive disc like the Phase 1 collection, which is something (and given how barebones the Phase 2 releases have been, at least this one isn't skipping content... well, kinda, I don't like that it's called a collection and it's missing AoS, AC and Daredevil)

jmood88

It has an extra "top secret" exclusive disc like the Phase 1 collection, which is something (and given how barebones the Phase 2 releases have been, at least this one isn't skipping content... well, kinda, I don't like that it's called a collection and it's missing AoS, AC and Daredevil)
Oh ok, I didn't see that part.

Cheebo

Banned
Not sure if it's been posted, but this article about Marvel and its directors might be an interesting read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hor-why-does-marvel-clash-with-its-directors/

For the record, it was terrible to see Wright leave the project, but it ended up being fine anyway. Ant-Man is a good movie, and Peyton Reed handled it well. I'm hoping Marvel brings Peyton back for Ant-Man 2 - I really hope they make Ant-Man 2.
It's opening less than Incredible Hulk did (the previous weakest MCU opening). Unless it has fantastic legs it's going to fall short of 150 mil domestically.

Ant Man 2 is probably not very likely.

It's opening less than Incredible Hulk did (the previous weakest MCU opening). Unless it has fantastic legs it's going to fall short of 150 mil domestically.

Where did you hear that? Most estimates are at at or slightly below $60m, but I haven't heard anything about it falling below TIH's $55m opening.

Regardess, Ant-Man's word of mouth and reviews are significantly better than TIH's were.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not sure if it's been posted, but this article about Marvel and its directors might be an interesting read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hor-why-does-marvel-clash-with-its-directors/

For the record, it was terrible to see Wright leave the project, but it ended up being fine anyway. Ant-Man is a good movie, and Peyton Reed handled it well. I'm hoping Marvel brings Peyton back for Ant-Man 2 - I really hope they make Ant-Man 2.
It's an interesting article but it has a few inaccuracies that jumped to me (Branagh actually didn't do TDW due to time constraints and isn't against doing another one, TIH was actually somewhat of a bomb). I disagree on a certain point that "Marvel is so unlike anything Hollywood has quite seen before", the way the MCU films are done is like TV shows, where Feige is the showrunner (or how things were actually studio-run a long, long time ago)

Oh ok, I didn't see that part.
No worries, it's mentioned in the amazon listing, and not on the Marvel site news (although it can be inferred since it mentions 13 discs but the list only has the 12 movie discs)

It's not complete, since it's missing at least this one :p

Ant Man 2 is probably not very likely.
Considering it's much worse than TIH that's probably for the best. It should have been cancelled.

Quick

Banned
Mostly the heist friends, but especially the Luid character and the stereotypical horn. I kept expecting him to put on a sombrero and fire a gun in the air.

What the hell?

I think you have to sort some stuff out with yourself if you think the character of Luis is racist.

What the hell?

I think you have to sort some stuff out with yourself if you think the character of Luis is racist.
Seriously? My wife saw it too. The shady fast taking Hispanic guy who can't pronounce things correctly, has La Cucaracha as his horn, and is just overall stupid? I would love more Hispanic representation in the MCU, but not if it's just going to be bad stereotypes.

Seriously? My wife saw it too. The shady fast taking Hispanic guy who can't pronounce things correctly, has La Cucaracha as his horn, and is just overall stupid? I would love more Hispanic representation in the MCU, but not if it's just going to be bad stereotypes.
I'm so sick of these rose drinking, modern art loving Mexican stereotypes. When will Hollywood learn?

Frankly, in every thread you post in about this it seems like you just went to see the movie with some axe to grind.

danielcw

Full weekend estimates are 50-55 mil. Was 60 mil late last night but has dropped since.

Too bad, but still in Thor 2 territory.
Any international numbers, yet?

The shady fast taking Hispanic guy who can't pronounce things correctly, has La Cucaracha as his horn, and is just overall stupid?

He is as shady than most characters in the movie, including the hero, or even less.
This is a heist-movie, so even the good guys being robbers is par for the course.
No idea why you think he is stupid. He may only look stupid, because he is surrounded by a lot of very smart characters, who all have their specialty. But he also does his part. Also he is into fine arts and wine, a man of culture if you will, and a gamer :)
And he is the opposite of evil. He is extremely loyal to his friend Scott, helps him where he can, and did safe the guard at the end.

Yeah, he is Mexican or whatever, but in no way does the movie show him in a bad light. So how could someone in the audience get the impression, that the movie is racist towards Mexicans?

EDIT:
He was one of my favorite characters.
that too

eastx

I'm so sick of these rose drinking, modern art loving Mexican stereotypes. When will Hollywood learn?

Frankly, in every thread you post in about this it seems like you just went to see the movie with some axe to grind.

It does seem that way, yes. His complaints are silly and he's really loud about them.

Quick

Banned

But was his character overall portrayed negatively? He's misguided and a thief, who later becomes part of the good guys. He went to prison for the dumbest shit, too. The guy stole a smoothie machine,
sorry, TWO smoothie machines
. It wasn't like he's your typical Mexican drug lord or trafficker - now that would've been bad.

You overlook his character as a whole to nitpick on the stereotypical features that were presented. You do yourself such a disservice by doing that.

Why stop at Luis? Why not Dave? Black guy that steals plates? Or Kurt? The shady-looking Eastern European with the stereotypical funny accent? Or Falcon? White guy beats up black guy? Paxton? Typical cop?

You overlook a character and their intentions by reducing them to a list of stereotypes you're looking to check off so you can say you're offended. Isn't that actually racist itself?

danielcw

(X-post from Ant-Man thread.
It probably belongs here, and not there)

So now for those that have seen everything, which phase was better?
Phase 1 (Iron-Man to Avengers)
or Phase 2 (Iron-Man 3 to Ant-Man)

While I think, that Thor - The Dark Kingdom is probably the worst MCU movie,
Iron Man 3, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man and the great Winter Soldier win over Phase 1 for me. I like all of them more than any Phase 1 movie. Ultron is a nice extra.

I am not counting SHIELD and Agent Carter or the One-Shots in this comparison, but they would tip the scale for Phase 2 as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Phase I

I at least liked every movie of Phase I and has the IMO best superhero movie ever, while Phase II had two giant stinkers (Thor and Iron Man), and one disappointment (Avengers 2).
But this sounds worser than I mean, Winter Soldier, Guardians and Ant Man are still Top Tier entrys in the MCU.

whipihguh

Banned
I would definitely place Phase 2 over Phase 1. For the most part I enjoyed the established character entries more than their Phase 1 counterparts, and I enjoyed the newer team/character movies like Ant-Man and Guardians immensely. The highs in Phase 2 are higher than 1, and the lowest lows in 2 aren't as low as the lowest lows of 1. All in all a significant upgrade.

Neoxon

Both Phase 1 & 2 had a stinker each in my eyes (Iron Man 2 & Thor 2 respectively). With that in mind, the highs of Phase 2 were higher than that of Phase 1. Phase 2 had Winter Soldier, Guardians, & now Ant-Man while the likes of Iron Man 3 & Avengers 2 were just solid. The highlights of Phase 1 were Iron Man 1 & Thor 1, while Thor 1 & Cap 1 fill the "pretty good" void.

Overall, Phase 2 wins in my opinion.

jph139

Looking back, it's crazy how coherent Phase 1 is. Everything leads into the Avengers - every movie contributes something to the final plot (Iron Man movies = SHIELD, Thor = Loki, Cap = the Tesseract; even Incredible Hulk = "I'm always angry"), which honestly makes the original Avengers incredibly rewarding both as a superhero film in-and-of itself but to anyone watching the lead-up. I don't think we'll ever have something like that again, something that felt so new and came together so perfectly.

Phase 2 exists in a shared universe already - it's not six superheroes in their own worlds that combine into one team, it's a team of superheroes off doing their own things. Which is fun to follow and rewarding in its own right, but it definitely felt like the whole series was "spinning its wheels" from time to time. Age of Ultron is probably the biggest offender there. I wonder if that's a consequence of the entire phase being "Act 2" of a 3-Act story or will just be the status quo from here on out.

Overall for me it's a question between favorites - Incredible Hulk, First Avenger, and the Avengers vs. Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I think on film quality alone I have to give it to Phase 1, but even if they were slightly worse the novelty of it all would probably push Phase 1 to the forefront.

Both Phase 1 & 2 had a stinker each in my eyes (Iron Man 2 & Thor 2 respectively). With that in mind, the highs of Phase 2 were higher than that of Phase 1. Phase 2 had Winter Soldier, Guardians, & now Ant-Man while the likes of Iron Man 3 & Avengers 2 were just solid. The highlights of Phase 1 were Iron Man 1 & Thor 1, while Thor 1 & Cap 1 fill the "pretty good" void.

Overall, Phase 2 wins in my opinion.
Thor 2 was better than TIH, Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor 1. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good.
Edit: Captain America 1 is easily the best of the Phase 1 movies.

Pachimari

Man seriously gotta stop with those "eat crow" threads. I'm a huge huge huge MCU fan myself and hate reading all the cynicysm towards Marvel movies, but it is really low making crow threads, and I'm very happy that Ant-Man crow thread is backfiring.

That said, I'm excited for Ant-Man on Wednesday.

Man seriously gotta stop with those "eat crow" threads. I'm a huge huge huge MCU fan myself and hate reading all the cynicysm towards Marvel movies, but it is really low making crow threads, and I'm very happy that Ant-Man crow thread is backfiring.

That said, I'm excited for Ant-Man on Wednesday.
Seriously. Regardless of how I feel about the movie, it's a bit silly, residually considering the lukewarm box office numbers and the fact that most quotes were saying that it will perform poorly for an MCU movie, which it did. Let's just be happy that there are so many MCU movies coming out in the next few years.

200.gif

Bloomers

(X-post from Ant-Man thread.
It probably belongs here, and not there)

So now for those that have seen everything, which phase was better?
Phase 1 (Iron-Man to Avengers)
or Phase 2 (Iron-Man 3 to Ant-Man)

While I think, that Thor - The Dark Kingdom is probably the worst MCU movie,
Iron Man 3, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man and the great Winter Soldier win over Phase 1 for me. I like all of them more than any Phase 1 movie. Ultron is a nice extra.

I am not counting SHIELD and Agent Carter or the One-Shots in this comparison, but they would tip the scale for Phase 2 as well.
This is a very tough one for me because the two Phases as a whole function very differently.

Phase 1 is mostly origin movies, establishing characters in their own little worlds before gathering them all together to play in the Avengers. Most of the plot-lines come to a head in a way that completes a multi-faceted story.
Phase 2 is more about expansion. Less origins, more about taking these characters back into their worlds to take on new challenges with new perspectives. It also manages to outdo Phase 1 as far as world building.

With that in consideration, I think Phase 1 functions better as a whole. It tells a complete, gradually accumulating story with an immense payoff at the end. Iron Man kicks it off with a bang, t.I.H. teases the connected universe, IM2 brings that universe to the forefront, & Thor + CA:TFA round out that universe/timeline and set up the Grand Finale. Even though Iron Man 2 is one of my least favorite MCU films, I've come to attribute its tamed nature to Favreau being the first director forced to accommodate the larger universe--one that hadn't even been fleshed out yet but was enabled by the success of the first Iron Man. Basically, IM2's integrity was doomed so the MCU could live, but it still serves its purpose in the greater whole. Also, I'm a sucker for the simple, straightforward origin stories that establish what drives a hero, and that's half of what Phase 1 is.

Meanwhile, Phase 2 has the greater holy-shit-quotient and moment-to-moment entertainment. It really revels in itself. And on a film-to-film basis, it beats out Phase 1 for me*: Avengers = GotG, Iron Man= CA:TWS, AoU= CA:TFA, Iron Man 3 >>> Iron Man 2, Ant-Man >> Thor, ThorTDW = tIH. (*your milage may vary on these matchups)

Unfortunately, Phase 2's indulgence also came to its detriment. It was chock full of humor, which might be ok on the first viewing but annoying when it comes at the cost of a tone appropriate for the subject matter. Outside of TWS, Guardians, and Ant-Man, I think all of the Phase 2 films should have been closer in tone to what was marketed in the trailers (see: TWS or Iron Man 1 for a benchmark). Also, AoU kinda dropped the ball as far as unifying all the plotlines; it didn't wield (or weld) them as naturally as its predecessor. As a result, some of the solo films feel 'dispensable' in retrospect as well as AoU itself, all becoming stepping stones to a payoff we still won't see for a while. At best, Phase 2 has the Captain America/HYDRA/ storyline that flows though TWS, Agents of Shield, AoU, and Ant-Man, and hopefully reaches a head in Civil War. IM3 and ThorTDW feel like one offs in comparison.

My inner Marvel fan shows in how long-winded this post became, but this is the first time I've had a chance to look back at both phases as a whole. Basically, Phase 1 is the better whole, while Phase 2 has better picks for movies on a friday night.
My only hope is that Phase 3 can strike a balance with compelling movies that form a compelling epic story when assembled and ultimately have a fitting conclusion. I want enough reasons to watch these movies 10 or 20 years from now.

Crud

Banned
Had to pop in and say the Antman crow thread was horrid, and I am happy to see it crash and burn the way it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom