• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I won't do my tier list until I have rewatched The Dark World and probably Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk.

I can't count how many times I have watched all of these movies.

At least I'm going to the premiere of Ant-Man tomorrow. It'll be my first Marvel premiere.

tomtom94

I'll need to rewatch the movies (and actually see TIH) before I can rank most of them.

...Actually that might not be a bad thing to do next year in the run-up to Civil War.

I'll need to rewatch the movies (and actually see TIH) before I can rank most of them.

...Actually that might not be a bad thing to do next year in the run-up to Civil War.

TIH CGI does not hold up well. His first change is good still. I still like the story and performances.

Anth0ny

The only MCU film I straight up dislike is Hulk. Doesn't even feel like a MCU film when you go back to watch it.

Since Iron Man 1 they've hit it out of the park for me every time.

jmood88

The only MCU film I straight up dislike is Hulk. Doesn't even feel like a MCU film when you go back to watch it.

Since Iron Man 1 they've hit it out of the park for me every time.
Yeah, The Incredible Hulk was awful. I'm not a huge fan of the first Captain America but Hulk is the only MCU movie that I haven't bought the Blu-Ray for and haven't watched since it was in theaters.

jph139

Man, I love TIH. I've seen it three or four times now and it's always engaging. Plot is super basic but the cast is great and I'm a sucker for a classic "fugitive Banner" storyline.

The favelha chase is easily one of my top 5 MCU scenes, bar none.

E the Shaggy

Winter Soldier still remains my favorite Marvel movie of all time.

That continuous highway action scene is perfection. When that guy opens up with the chain gun at Cap, and he just keeps running toward him with the bullets flying off the shield?

f0Hlx.gif

Quick

Banned
Alright thanks. I guess I'm gonna watch those two in IMAX. Haven't tried it before anyway.

The IMAX versions of each movie isn't anything to write home about, but they're not too bad now.

The only 3D/IMAX releases I actually had an issue with were Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. Both movies looked too dim, which I attribute to the method of conversion at that time.

jmood88

Winter Soldier still remains my favorite Marvel movie of all time.

That continuous highway action scene is perfection. When that guy opens up with the chain gun at Cap, and he just keeps running toward him with the bullets flying off the shield?

f0Hlx.gif
Yup, Winter Soldier has yet to be surpassed and I can only Civil War or Black Panther becoming my new favorite MCU movie.

Aceun

Allow me to adopt the new ranking style.
  • S-Rank: Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • A-Rank: Iron Man, The Avengers, Ant-Man
  • B-Rank: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor
  • C-Rank: The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World
  • D-Rank: Iron Man 2

This is it

danielcw

I was just wondering what SABCD meant.

A B C D E F is a typical rating system like U.S. school grade, with A being the best.
But many arcade-style video games who rated your performance used A B C D E F, but also used S as a special rating even better than A.

There is no advantage for visitors of ordinary cinemas, I assume?
Depends on the equipment of the cinema and how good the camera actually is.
Even on Blu-ray many home cinema enthusiast claim, that IMAX scenes look better.

So if the camera is as good, as the technical specs promise, and the director of photography, etc do their job right, you might see an improvement in quality even in cinemas who can only project in 2K

AMUSIX

Just rewatched TIH last night. Still so weak. From the complete lack of story to Betty whispering every line to one set up after another not going anywhere. The movie really is just a sequence of barely connected scenes.

Blonski is good, though. And the action sequences work very well.

Pachimari

When I rewatched The Incredible Hulk last time, it actually grew on me. It had great performances by most actors and an action packed climax that was worth it. Still one of the weaker MCU films.

Less than a day till I'll go watch Ant-Man. 21 hours to be exact!

kunonabi

Just rewatched TIH last night. Still so weak. From the complete lack of story to Betty whispering every line to one set up after another not going anywhere. The movie really is just a sequence of barely connected scenes.

Blonski is good, though. And the action sequences work very well.

Didn't help that Norton basically played himself, he had 0 chemistry with Tyler and their attempts at humor completely bombed. I was also never a fan of his Hulking out being tied to his heart rate.

Pachimari

I'm currently watching Thor: The Dark World and half an hour in, I'm really enjoying it. I think even this one seems better on rewatches.

And I might even end up with a new favorite Avenger, as I don't like Steve Rogers too much, and Tony Stark have become a little too obnoxious, though I'm still very much a fan of Tony.

Best: IM, GoTG,TWS, Ant Man
Avengers: not that technical but spectacle and all that
Good(aka have some flaws): Captain America, IM3, AoU(aka bad pacing and editing the movie)
Meh: Thor, Thor 2
Bad: TIH, IM2

inm8num2

Great - Iron Man, CA: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy
Pretty good - CA: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Ant-Man
Good - Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3
Okay - The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor: The Dark World

haven't seen AoU yet

I'm currently watching Thor: The Dark World and half an hour in, I'm really enjoying it. I think even this one seems better on rewatches.

And I might even end up with a new favorite Avenger, as I don't like Steve Rogers too much, and Tony Stark have become a little too obnoxious, though I'm still very much a fan of Tony.

Yeah it's really underrated.

Anth0ny

Real talk, Loki carries Thor 2. I found myself smiling every time he was on the screen, like a baby Dark Knight Joker.

And that final shot... boss as fuck. Dark World is underrated.

Real talk, Loki carries Thor 2. I found myself smiling every time he was on the screen, like a baby Dark Knight Joker.

And that final shot... boss as fuck. Dark World is underrated.

Seriously. He did a fantastic job. It's a shame the MCU can't have more villains with the depth of Loki.

kunonabi

Saw the movie originally on an international flight and I enjoyed it despite the tiny screen. It still held up when I got around to watching it again before AoU to get my friend up to speed(he missed it and Iron Man 3)

It really isn't the insult to cinema that Gaf makes it out to be.

TDLink

The Dark World isn't "bad" but it is thoroughly mediocre. The final fight is very creative and enjoyable but most of that film is just very forgettable and unexciting. Honestly I blame Marvel though. By all accounts they mutilated the film last minute by removing a lot of Malekith/main story stuff and pandering to fans with adding in more Loki than planned 2 months prior to release. Loki "carried the film" because less than 90 days out they literally restructured the film around him.

It's a shame, I really would have liked to see what the original film was. As it stands everything is really underdeveloped and boring except for the final action scene (but that's not enough to carry a film).

I honestly think it's the weakest of all the MCU films except, arguably, Iron Man 2.

The large usage of Kat Dennings, depending on who you talk to, also either made or completely ruined the film. Which is a very large and polarizing problem.

Pachimari

I like The Dark World so far. I'll finish my rewatch later today, right before I go see Ant-Man.

I currently have the original Thor ranked at #5. It is not appreciated enough honestly.

mreddie

My top 5 as of this moment.

Iron Man - Best superhero origin film next to Batman Begins. Downey shines, Bridges goes HAM and is memorable, Paltrow is cute, Howard is okay. Has the best build up to the third act climax. It's really surprising how much the cast went off script for this, it helps the film big time.

Winter Solder - A film that ups the stakes in a good way. Evans, Johansson and Mackie have great chemistry with each other. Bucky is a great equal to Steve and it's the best film to follow up the Avengers.

Avengers - Rewatchable as hell. It's solid. Hawkguy gets fucked over but everyone else shines though. So much little things that work and leads to the best third act since Empire Strikes Back.

Guardians - The weakest third act and 2nd weakest villain next to Thor 2 but it helps that everything else clicks. My only gripe is Gamora pretty much does jack all. Batista surpassed my expectations though. Nebula and Yondu are so underrated. Can't wait for Vol. 2.

Antman - Might be tied with First Avenger but it's humor beats it. I'm kinda miffed what they did to Janet.
There's still Hope for Wasp in the MCU though.
But I loved every character in this, Stroll doesn't do much but he does try to be memorable and he succeeds in being a decent one note villain. I think it does need a good fix on some things but overall dug it.

Pachimari

I disagree with The Winter Soldier being super rewatchable. I think it is one of the hardest MCU movies to rewatch. It kind of drags, or maybe that's the wrong term, but I get bored during the first to second act.

I'll give it another rewatch next month I think. I'm just not as excited about it as most others.

Pachimari

I actually thought about putting all of my MCU Blurays on my phone, to rewatch when I have nothing else to do.

Avengers was so much worse the second time around. I still loved WS and GOTG on subsequent viewings, though.
The Avengers seriously grew on me the third time around or so. First I thought it were one of the worst MCU flicks but if is actually well put together, though a little slow in pace. Definitley better than Age of Ultron though.

Yrael

The Dark World isn't "bad" but it is thoroughly mediocre. The final fight is very creative and enjoyable but most of that film is just very forgettable and unexciting. Honestly I blame Marvel though. By all accounts they mutilated the film last minute by removing a lot of Malekith/main story stuff and pandering to fans with adding in more Loki than planned 2 months prior to release. Loki "carried the film" because less than 90 days out they literally restructured the film around him.

It's a shame, I really would have liked to see what the original film was. As it stands everything is really underdeveloped and boring except for the final action scene (but that's not enough to carry a film).

I honestly think it's the weakest of all the MCU films except, arguably, Iron Man 2.

The large usage of Kat Dennings, depending on who you talk to, also either made or completely ruined the film. Which is a very large and polarizing problem.

Would've been better if they'd had Loki playing a bigger part from the beginning of development. He's by far and away the best thing about the Thor franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom