• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

I want to see a Kiling Joke movie :/
I heard there is a rumor or fan-theory that the origin of the Joker in Dawn Of Justice / Suicide Squad is like Killing Joke, if I understand it correctly.

I'm currently watching Thor: The Dark World and half an hour in, I'm really enjoying it. I think even this one seems better on rewatches.

Did you finish the movie?
For me it is fine until the escape
Loki dies
scene.
Great world building, mistery, some fun, a gripping death.
But most that happens after that, and the execution of that, ruins it for me, and makes it my least liked MCU movie.
For example, it bothers me, that the Warriors Three and Sif are just forgotten after the escape, and their scenes during the escape did not feel like worthy final scenes to me.
They could have at least gotten a coda at the end, close to the final Odin/Thor scene, for example.

TDLink

What do you think Marvel is going to do after Infinity War?

Further Expansion of Cosmic Marvel starting with Inhumans (already confirmed) and continuing with Guardians 3 and probably Nova. Possibly leading into a Thanos Imperative story (or something similar).

Also sequels to phase 3 films (Spider-Man 2, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, etc).

rexor0717

I wonder if there will be a bit of a hiatus after Infinity War Pt.2
No way the MCU disbands, but I can imagine a bit of a cool off to let there be a timeskip since stuff is in real time.

Further Expansion of Cosmic Marvel starting with Inhumans (already confirmed) and continuing with Guardians 3 and probably Nova. Possibly leading into a Thanos Imperative story (or something similar).

Also sequels to phase 3 films (Spider-Man 2, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, etc).
Don't miss out AntMan!

TDLink

Don't miss out AntMan!

I'd love a sequel since I enjoyed the movie (and that could fall under the "etc.") but I do think right now that one probably isn't looking good. While not a failure, it's the worst performing MCU film at opening, but maybe it will improve.

No way the MCU disbands, but I can imagine a bit of a cool off to let there be a timeskip since stuff is in real time.

0% chance this happens. Inhumans is already scheduled for after it and Feige has said there are plans through 2028.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think there's gonna be a third 2019 movie, they just won't announce it for a while. Could be Spidey 2.

I think you're right about a third movie that year — they probably intend to slot in a movie for that November, but it might be a little late in the game to get the ball rolling on a July 2017 movie's sequel in time for a November 2019 launch. Unless they start working on a script before the first one's even out.

I think they're probably waiting to see how Ant-Man and Doctor Strange perform, and whichever does better will get a sequel in November 2019. There's enough time to develop a film in four-plus or three years.

Maybe they could even put Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 there, only because James Gunn probably already has an idea in his head of what he wants the third one to be.

mreddie

I'd love a sequel since I enjoyed the movie (and that could fall under the "etc.") but I do think right now that one probably isn't looking good. While not a failure, it's the worst performing MCU film at opening, but maybe it will improve.

It's still over Hulk 2008 but man...

X8IvNiP.gif

I think you're right about a third movie that year — they probably intend to slot in a movie for that November, but it might be a little late in the game to get the ball rolling on a July 2017 movie's sequel in time for a November 2019 launch. Unless they start working on a script before the first one's even out.

I think they're probably waiting to see how Ant-Man and Doctor Strange perform, and whichever does better will get a sequel in November 2019. There's enough time to develop a film in four-plus or three years.

Maybe they could even put Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 there, only because James Gunn probably already has an idea in his head of what he wants the third one to be.
I think they'd save Guardians 3 for a May '20 release, since they're obviously treating it as their flagship summer release by putting the second one in the May spot like The Avengers, Iron Man, Cap etc.

Yeah I am a bit surprised they haven't tried another Hulk movie after his resurging popularity after The Avengers.

After coming off a universal threat, Marvel have to go back to just keeping it simple. It's just about saving the town or fulfilling a personal vendetta. I also wonder about the state of the Avengers after that. Will they stop altogether? My friends mentioned something about New Avengers, but I'm not familiar with what that is. I'd think it be interesting to see Squirrel Girl or She-Hulk in this universe and I also wonder what was the point of them doing a Howard the Duck after credits scene. I can't see a Howard the Duck movie, but you never know.

tomtom94

Yeah I am a bit surprised they haven't tried another Hulk movie after his resurging popularity after The Avengers.

One issue is no-one's really sure but there's something about Universal having the distribution rights to a solo Hulk film that might be stopping Marvel from wanting to take the plunge.

Unless Disney tires of making millions of dollars every few months, this isn't ever going to happen.

Dr. Strange 2 would be a given I'd imagine, as are Spidey 2 and Guardians 3. Ant-Man 2 is a bit up in the air at the moment, as are Cap Marvel and Black Panther. And of course there's always the fact they'll probably introduce new characters, most likely on the cosmic side.

E the Shaggy

I wanted Kang but now we know that can't happen :(

So Red Skull coming back and forming the MoE is the next best thing

Also, considering Zemo is being introduced in Civil War, that too.

My lineup for the Cinematic Universe of the Masters would be:

Zemo
Crossbones
Abomination
Iron Monger
Loki
Baron Mordu
Ultron

Anth0ny

What do you think Marvel is going to do after Infinity War?

man I can't think that far into the future

I just want to be alive for Infinity War Part 2. Worry about what comes next then!

Seriously though, Spider-Man 2 is a given. Unless GOTG2 somehow under-performs, I think we'll see a number 3. We probably need to wait and see when it comes to sequels for everything else: Ant-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel and Inhumans. I really think they'll give in to the demand and make a Planet Hulk movie at some point. Maybe Avengers 4 will be World War Hulk?

That's the other thing that's tough to imagine: How does an Avengers movie work after 3? How do you one up Thanos after building him up for 6+ years throughout many movies? Who's another big bad they can use, assuming the rights to X-Men and F4 still belong to Fox? (that's an honest question, I don't know much about the comics and the various, cosmic-tier villains that exist).

you have to wonder what's going to happen with the OG crew (RDJ, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and I guess Scar Jo and Samuel L Jackson). Evans will be 40 and Hemsworth 35, so I'm sure they can stay on board provided Disney is willing to pay them. RDJ though... do they want to pay $70 mil a movie to a 55 year old? I want to say yes if every movie he's in brings in $1 billion, but you never know.

I think they just do Time Runs Out/Secret Wars after Infinity War, but they need Doom and the FF to make that work. Opens the door to recasting an aging team of Avengers.

jph139

I think they just do Time Runs Out/Secret Wars after Infinity War, but they need Doom and the FF to make that work. Opens the door to recasting an aging team of Avengers.

I'm picturing an MCU Illuminati right now - Panther, Strange, and Black Bolt will all be set up nicely by Phase 4. An aging Tony Stark and/or Bruce Banner. Work Namor in there... really you're just short Reed at that point, and I think Tony could fill that role nicely.

I think Dark Reign is my biggest hope for post-Infinity War. Bring the scale back down by making the Avengers outlaws.

Pachimari

I would love to see more of the Quantum Realm in Dr. Strange, I'm really hype about that movie, and have been waiting for it a long time.

Also, I have a hard time even remembering villains like Iron Monger (Iron Man 1?) and Justin Hammer (was he the chill guy with the glasses in Iron Man 2?).

Marvel really have to put it together when it comes to their villains. They're probably gonna kill off Baron Zemo in Civil War instead of building him up in numerous films. Yellowjacket were decent, actually only worse than Wilson Fisk and Loki.

Did you finish the movie?
For me it is fine until the escape
Loki dies
scene.
Great world building, mistery, some fun, a gripping death.
But most that happens after that, and the execution of that, ruins it for me, and makes it my least liked MCU movie.
For example, it bothers me, that the Warriors Three and Sif are just forgotten after the escape, and their scenes during the escape did not feel like worthy final scenes to me.
They could have at least gotten a coda at the end, close to the final Odin/Thor scene, for example.

No, I haven't finished it yet. I barely remember anything from the first time I watched The Dark World. I'm probably gonna finish it tomorrow if I got nothing else to do.

I also really wonder if they're gonna end Phase 3 with Inhumans on July 12 in 2019, or if they'll slot in another film to end Phase 3. Hopefully Ant-Man 2 since they already got ideas for that one.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think they'd save Guardians 3 for a May '20 release, since they're obviously treating it as their flagship summer release by putting the second one in the May spot like The Avengers, Iron Man, Cap etc.

That makes sense and is more likely.

Also, I have a hard time even remembering villains like Iron Monger (Iron Man 1?) and Justin Hammer (was he the chill guy with the glasses in Iron Man 2?).

I think Justin Hammer is one of the more memorable Marvel villains just because he was so funny and love-to-hateable.

Pachimari

It is unbearable to wait a whole TEN months until the next MCU film. :(

Captain America: Civil War can't come soon enough, and then still, we "only" get two movies next year, but at least that other one is Dr. Strange.

I think Justin Hammer is one of the more memorable Marvel villains just because he was so funny and love-to-hateable.
So which villains have we had in the whole MCU so far?

Iron Monger
Abomination
Whiplash
Justin Hammer
Loki
Red Skull
Crossbones
Winter Soldier
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Ronan
Ultron
Wilson Fisk
Darren Cross

Hydra bosses from Agents of Shield
Leviathon mind bender guy from Agent Carter

Captain America: Civil War can't come soon enough, and then still, we "only" get two movies next year, but at least that other one is Dr. Strange.

Iron Monger
Abomination
Whiplash
Justin Hammer
Loki
Red Skull
Crossbones
Winter Soldier
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Ronan
Ultron
Wilson Fisk
Darren Cross

Don't forget Alexander Pierce, who I think is pretty underrated. He really worked for me as a behind-the-scenes kind of villain.

Vidiot

Iron Monger
Abomination
Whiplash
Justin Hammer
Loki
Red Skull
Crossbones
Winter Soldier
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Ronan
Ultron
Wilson Fisk
Darren Cross

I guess they could bring the leader in at any time if they wanted to since he was kinda in TIH.

Iron Monger
Abomination
Whiplash
Justin Hammer
Loki
Red Skull
Crossbones
Winter Soldier
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Ronan
Ultron
Wilson Fisk
Darren Cross

You're missing Batroc, the Destroyer, and Thanos.

Got to catch Ant-Man last week. Really enjoyed it. It's hard to decide where it falls in the rankings but I'll give it a go:

GOTG
Iron Man
Winter Soldier

Age of Ultron
Avengers
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Thor

Thor: The Dark World
Capt: First Avenger

Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Not sure how I feel about this, the only takeaway is that it will focus on comedy which is not necessarily a terrible thing.
Yeah we need more than one joke per film. And genuinely funny ones at that.

Save us based Netflix gods. And ABC if that's your thing...

Got to admit, a little bummed we seemingly can't have MCU threads in the main OT. Not a whole lot of traffic in here.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This Fall is Jessica Jones time and I think we should get another Netflix show around the time Daredevil dropped next year.

Enough to go alive to this ten months :D

Nonsense, they could do the same basic story with some modifications. Different villain instead of Annihilus being the main one. It's basically the perfect Nova origin movie.
Dick Rider would have to be part of the Nova Corp already if Annihilation is adapted. In the comics he joined when he was in high school and Annihilation didn't happen until he grew up.

TDLink

Dick Rider would have to be part of the Nova Corp already if Annihilation is adapted. In the comics he joined when he was in high school and Annihilation didn't happen until he grew up.

Yeah exactly. Pre-Annihilation Nova is boring. We have tons of heroes who grew up on earth and were in high school. Heck, we're already getting that with Spidey.

Nova Prime Richard Rider, born out of Annihilation, is the best version of the character.

Yeah exactly. Pre-Annihilation Nova is boring. We have tons of heroes who grew up on earth and were in high school. Heck, we're already getting that with Spidey.

Nova Prime Richard Rider, born out of Annihilation, is the best version of the character.

To be fair, Annihilation could be adapted into a "trial by fire" origin story for Richie.
True that. They could just mention that he's been among their ranks for years so we don't have to slog through his origin story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom