• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

I'm really nervous about Thor: Ragnarök. Feige said they want it to be their 'Winter Soldier' for Thor, but can they pull it off? I want them to go all out with Thor.

I think it really depends who they get to direct. I'd be a lot more optimistic with a writer/director with a variety of experience than if they just pinch someone from Game of Thrones again.

I think it really depends who they get to direct. I'd be a lot more optimistic with a writer/director with a variety of experience than if they just pinch someone from Game of Thrones again.
Yep, I agree. They need someone who can do a large scale epic but can also focus on the characters (the good ones).
I hope they'll get Kenneth Branagh again for Ragnarok. I seems to remember him saying he was interested to return.
He is interested, but he said Marvel hasn't reached out to him. I hope they do.

TDLink

I'm really nervous about Thor: Ragnarök. Feige said they want it to be their 'Winter Soldier' for Thor, but can they pull it off? I want them to go all out with Thor.

Doesn't seem that difficult.

• Make most, if not all of it, off of Earth
  • Make the villain memorable and an actual character
  • Don't cut the villain's actual character development scenes and leave only the inevitable confrontation with Thor
  • Use Loki from the beginning rather than shoehorning him in at the last stage of development
  • Don't have Kat Dennings
  • Make the movie actually have some sort of stakes that affect the characters and feel real rather than just a mcguffin that is bad.

• Don't cut the villain's actual character development scenes and leave only the inevitable confrontation with Thor
  • Use Loki from the beginning rather than shoehorning him in at the last stage of development
  • Make the movie actually have some sort of stakes that affect the characters and feel real rather than just a mcguffin that is bad.
Y'see, this is why I'm worried. They need to basically do the opposite of what they've been doing so far and I wonder if they'll do that.

E the Shaggy

Three words:

Beta Ray Bill.

Pachimari

I just want Thor: Ragnarok to be 100℅ away from Earth. And make Thor a bastard of a king that nobody can play around with. Make him strong like no other.

Also, 4 hours till Ant-Man.

duckroll

Really now...

That sounds really hard for Marvel Studios! :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Agreed that the next Thor needs to focus on staying out of Earth. I love that we're starting to get different genres inside the "superhero movie" umbrella. Like GotG is a space opera and Cap2 is (kind of) a spy thriller, Thor3 should go full fantasy.

Neoxon

Agreed that the next Thor needs to focus on staying out of Earth. I love that we're starting to get different genres inside the "superhero movie" umbrella. Like GotG is a space opera and Cap2 is (kind of) a spy thriller, Thor3 should go full fantasy.
This

I also hope they do a better job at showing off Thor's power. He's weak in the MCU. I want lightning and shock waves everywhere when he's fighting.

Ragnarok and Surtur will do well in providing high stakes for Asgard, but the main villain will still need to be Loki throughout the film.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I watched Ant-Man last night, so here is my updated ranking:

The One Above All
Guardians of the Galaxy

The Living Tribunal
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Galactus
Daredevil
Ant-Man
Agents of SHIELD

Celestials
Iron Man
Thor
Agent Carter

Normal Human
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger

Dog
Iron Man 2

Mosquito
The Incredible Hulk

Really now...

They should let the TV side handle them :p

Neoxon

They should let the TV side handle them :p
I think part of the reason why the TV/Netflix side of the MCU has better villains (see Kingpin) is because they have more time to develop the character. In the case of the movies, I'm usually more forgiving about less than stellar first movie villains, but Loki proved that a first movie can very well have a compelling villain (hell, he carried Thor 2).

Thats the problem, they have just not enough time for the villain
Yeah that's the unfortunate limitation of movies. Even Thanos hasn't had much development since he's only allocated at most a few minutes per movie. Ideally, they would introduce major villains in earlier movies and develop them across multiple movies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah that's the unfortunate limitation of movies. Even Thanos hasn't had much development since he's only allocated at most a few minutes per movie. Ideally, they would introduce major villains in earlier movies and develop them across multiple movies.

Thanos has two movies and most likely appearences in Thor 3 and Guardians 2, he will be good (I hope)

Would still prefered it when we had got a Thanos Quest movie.

Thanos has two movies and most likely appearences in Thor 3 and Guardians 2, he will be good (I hope)

Would still prefered it when we had got a Thanos Quest movie.

I do hope Ragnarok is basically Thanos' big coming out party. I would think things are leading in that direction and we'll get some payoff on the failed deal between him and Loki. Anyone who pays attention to my posts knows I really want Thanos to kill Loki in Ragnarok.

I think part of the reason why the TV/Netflix side of the MCU has better villains (see Kingpin) is because they have more time to develop the character. In the case of the movies, I'm usually more forgiving about less than stellar first movie villains, but Loki proved that a first movie can very well have a compelling villain (hell, he carried Thor 2).

The funny thing is, this is the case for most action movies. Unless the villain has a relation to the hero that subscribes to a Universal understanding (Loki feels like the under appreciated/overlooked son despite not having as many outwardly obvious flaws) then the villain is relatively under developed. That's why so many movies focus on villains as a group who hold a specific ideal. That way the hero is fighting against that ideal rather and the villain is just the current person pushing the ideal.

I mean villains in Taken, Rambo, nearly any WW2 movie, any movie that pits Humans vs. Non-Humans that can't cross the language barrier, most of the Die Hards, etc.. don't have much if any development. They're just bad beings doing bad things.

Why MCU movies get blasted for it more than other action movies, I don't really know.

Yrael

I do hope Ragnarok is basically Thanos' big coming out party. I would think things are leading in that direction and we'll get some payoff on the failed deal between him and Loki. Anyone who pays attention to my posts knows I really want Thanos to kill Loki in Ragnarok.

Isn't Loki going to be featuring heavily in Infinity War though?

(Dunno if that's really a spoiler but may as well tag it, since it's about Avengers IW)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why failed deal?
Loki is in power on Asgard - He has what he wants, Thanos has has kind of direct access to to the Tesseract - When I remember correctly this one, it wasnt only the ether that was given to the Collector, am I right?
Everyone is happy.

Why failed deal?
Loki is in power on Asgard - He has what he wants, Thanos has has kind of direct access to to the Tesseract - When I remember correctly this one, it wasnt only the ether that was given to the Collector, am I right?
Everyone is happy.

Thanos gave Loki the staff (containing the mind stone) in order to get the Tesseract and he failed to do so.

There's definitely a chance that Loki could just let Thanos walk right into Asgard and take the cube, but I don't see it playing out that way. He seemed totally afraid of Thanos when Thor was saying that they could work together to fix what he did. And now that he lost the mind stone to the Avengers I really don't see Thanos just being cool with him.

AMUSIX

My big worry is that they'll introduce a villain like Surtur or a story like Beta Ray Bill. Sure, people will get all excited, but Ragnarok already has to deal with Loki on the Throne, the Ragnarok event, and the lead up to Infinity War. This means that anything added will both be pushed to the back, and have to be resolved by movie's end.

What they should do is not have an outside villain/story. Instead, simply introduce the Enchantress & Executioner as Loki confederates, and have them involved in one of Loki's plots that causes the acceleration of the Ragnarok event.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanos gave Loki the staff (containing the mind stone) in order to get the Tesseract and he failed to do so.

There's definitely a chance that Loki could just let Thanos walk right into Asgard and take the cube, but I don't see it playing out that way. He seemed totally afraid of Thanos when Thor was saying that they could work together to fix what he did. And now that he lost the mind stone to the Avengers I really don't see Thanos just being cool with him.
Loki is the god of mischief, pretending stuff is what he did since the first movie, I see no reason why he should stop there.

And in the end, Thanos lost one Gem and got hands on another, I dont think that this should be a to big problem.
The Mind Gem will be most likely the reason why he is going to invade earth or something like this in Infinity War.

Since he was willingly to send a whole army for the Tesseract, I highly expect that this one is more important.

Pachimari

As of this moment, I'm pretty sure about my list. Thor: The Dark World may go up during my rewatch tonight though. Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger keeps switching places.

S-tier
1. Daredevil [S1]
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Ant-Man
4. Iron-Man

A-tier
5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [S2]
6. The Avengers
7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

B-tier
8. Thor
9. Captain America: The First Avenger

C-tier
10. Iron Man 2
11. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [S1]
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Iron Man 3

D-tier
14. The Incredible Hulk
15. Thor: The Dark World
16. Agent Carter [S1]

Just came out from Ant-Man actually, and I really loved it. They pulled off the whole heist thing better than I expected after having read impressions on here, and while it was a super funny movie - the second funniest, only after Guardians of the Galaxy - the first act was slow. Thankfully it picked up, especially during the third act. I also think Darren Cross was a good villain, and while he was nothing to write home about, he did it better than most other Marvel villains. I didn't really build a relationship to any of the ants though, which I wish I had. Also my favorite in the movie were clearly Luis, and after that Hank Pym, Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne. There were so many cool moments in the film, that I should probably discuss in the spoiler thread.

Now here's to looking forward to all the Marvel Blu-ray releases in September, and then Captain America: Civil War.

As of this moment, I'm pretty sure about my list. Thor: The Dark World may go up during my rewatch tonight though. Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger keeps switching places.

S-tier
1. Daredevil [S1]
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Ant-Man
4. Iron-Man

A-tier
5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [S2]
6. The Avengers
7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

B-tier
8. Thor
9. Captain America: The First Avenger

C-tier
10. Iron Man 2
11. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [S1]
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Iron Man 3

D-tier
14. The Incredible Hulk
15. Thor: The Dark World
16. Agent Carter [S1]

Just came out from Ant-Man actually, and I really loved it. They pulled off the whole heist thing better than I expected after having read impressions on here, and while it was a super funny movie - the second funniest, only after Guardians of the Galaxy - the first act was slow. Thankfully it picked up, especially during the third act. I also think Darren Cross was a good villain, and while he was nothing to write home about, he did it better than most other Marvel villains. I didn't really build a relationship to any of the ants though, which I wish I had. Also my favorite in the movie were clearly Luis, and after that Hank Pym, Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne. There were so many cool moments in the film, that I should probably discuss in the spoiler thread.

Now here's to looking forward to all the Marvel Blu-ray releases in September, and then Captain America: Civil War.

Come on now. Agent Carter is like A-tier at the very least.

Pachimari

Come on now. Agent Carter is like A-tier at the very least.
Ant-Man should at least be A-tier. Opinions and all. :)

I will definitely give Agent Carter another chance when it arrives on Bluray. I didn't dislike it mind you, and I really think it picked up at around Episde 5 but the episodes that came before that bored me like no other Marvel production. And when something have a hard time keeping my attention it goes to the bottom. :)

I liked Agent Carter but thought it was really poorly paced. For a short season, it dragged its feet quite a bit in the middle, and lacked a central antagonist for most of it. Needed something more focused than another secret organization.

Ant-Man should at least be A-tier. Opinions and all. :)

I will definitely give Agent Carter another chance when it arrives on Bluray. I didn't dislike it mind you, and I really think it picked up at around Episde 5 but the episodes that came before that bored me like no other Marvel production. And when something have a hard time keeping my attention it goes to the bottom. :)

Yeah yeah, I know. It just bums me out that so few people seem to share my love for that era. I was hooked from the very first episode. It's no Daredevil, mind you, but it was pretty great for what it was. Of course, my favorite part of Ant-Man, aside from the great depiction of shrinking, was the very beginning with CG Michael Douglas, Howard Stark, and Peggy Carter. It's a bummer that we couldn't get a movie with Hank Pym as the main Ant-Man, but I understand why they went this route.

Pachimari

I liked Agent Carter but thought it was really poorly paced. For a short season, it dragged its feet quite a bit in the middle, and lacked a central antagonist for most of it. Needed something more focused than another secret organization.
This.

Yeah yeah, I know. It just bums me out that so few people seem to share my love for that era. I was hooked from the very first episode. It's no Daredevil, mind you, but it was pretty great for what it was. Of course, my favorite part of Ant-Man, aside from the great depiction of shrinking, was the very beginning with CG Michael Douglas, Howard Stark, and Peggy Carter. It's a bummer that we couldn't get a movie with Hank Pym as the main Ant-Man, but I understand why they went this route.
Make no mistake. I'm still super excited about Season 2 of Agent Carter, especially after having read the details we have gotten so far. I also like that era and LOVE a movie with the foundation of S.H.I.E.L.D. and for it to feature Hank as Ant-Man, Howard Stark and Peggy Carter. Wonderful idea.

TDLink

Three words:

Beta Ray Bill.

Eh, I mean he'd be cool to see but just including him in the movie wouldn't really suddenly fix the problems Dark World (and to a lesser extent, the original) had.

Really now...

Fair enough, and that is indeed something the films at large are justifiable slammed for. But I feel like Winter Soldier avoided all of those things and Ant Man did a pretty decent job as well.

And Surtur please. I want to see a huge Thor villain, especially after programming the DS game a while back.

I believe Surtur is already confirmed, and he'll be cool to see. But it still won't mean much other than a cool CG fight unless they give it stakes.

guek

Banned

I still think the AI in the mind stone was a trojan horse sent by Thanos as a contingency plan in case Loki failed.

The funny thing is, this is the case for most action movies. Unless the villain has a relation to the hero that subscribes to a Universal understanding (Loki feels like the under appreciated/overlooked son despite not having as many outwardly obvious flaws) then the villain is relatively under developed. That's why so many movies focus on villains as a group who hold a specific ideal. That way the hero is fighting against that ideal rather and the villain is just the current person pushing the ideal.

I mean villains in Taken, Rambo, nearly any WW2 movie, any movie that pits Humans vs. Non-Humans that can't cross the language barrier, most of the Die Hards, etc.. don't have much if any development. They're just bad beings doing bad things.

Why MCU movies get blasted for it more than other action movies, I don't really know.

Because of the Joker

Vibranium

Banned
I'll be happy with Thor Ragnarok if Sif is Thor's love interest and we see them destroying shit together. And yeah, Earth needs to be minimal, audiences are totally fine without it.

Hopefully he gets to unleash and really use crazy powers. If he fights powerhouses Marvel should let Thor do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom