• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes so much more sense now why they chose Derrickson. Just imagining what this movie is gonna look like, after the microverse scene in Ant-Man...its gonna be such a spectacle.

giphy.gif

Edit: I wonder what has happened to BLACKLAC.

Well considering the 2015 F4 film's apparent suckiness, here's hoping that this finally happens in the future.

hulk-vs-the-thing-pinup-l_1502.jpg

And that will only depend on its box office performance.

I was hoping that Doctor Strange would be their take on the horror genre in the way that they've done spy thriller/heist/etc with the other movies from Phase 2. Glad they're keeping that theme going.

I am getting really hyped for Strange. Maybe even more than Civil War? Like Spidey is my favorite Marvel character and I can't wait to see him finally done justice but his actual movie isn't even till 2017 and Doctor Strange is gonna be a completely new and unique experience. Guhhhhhh!!!!!!

I wonder if they'll show anything at D23, or if they'll focus on just Civil War? I mean we haven't even actually seen the real version of Black Panther's suit yet...

This article is kinda itsfuckingnothing.gif but oh well:

John Ridley’s ABC Marvel show almost certainly isn’t about Ms. Marvel

“The only thing I can say about it is that I’m really in love with that project,” said Ridley. “I continue to give Marvel and ABC credit because within their system they’re still trying to bring in other voices. I’m in the development stage where I get down on my knees and pray that it goes forward.”

“My only connection to social media is my lovely wife, who is dialed in, and I can tell you that 99.99999 percent of everything that was put on social media was so phenomenally off-the-mark,” Ridley said. “Not to be arcane, but the rumors are truly off-the-mark. But it’s in a fun way. I’m just glad to be part of the conversation.”

Please be Cloak & Dagger?

Depends what they have finished already, it doesn't start filming until November.
Oh I meant like maybe concept art of what MUC Strange will look like, or some of the artwork people have been describing in other quotes, or even a photo of the costume. I feel like we got the artwork for Black Panther's MCU look quite a while ago, by comparison.

I'm mainly wondering what exactly they'll show off so that certain things don't get overshadowed. Show off the actual BP costume? A clip revealing the BP costume? If they do that would they reveal Spidey, or would that take away all the attention from Panther? And would they even show anything related to Strange at all, would that overshadow the Civil War stuff, or would it be lost in the bustle from a potential BP/Spidey reveal?

Anth0ny

Okay MCU gaf, let's get serious for a moment. About comic book movies.

Fantastic Four looks fucking atrocious, and is taking a beating critically. It's currently at 8% on RT, which is lower than Batman and Robin.

Now lets say it bombs commercially.

You guys think it could happen? You know what I'm getting at here. After 3+ attempts, Fox has been unable to find success with this property. Do they consider selling the rights back to Marvel, and more importantly, does Marvel bite? Personally, I feel like whatever price Fox asks, Marvel makes that back with one, awesome, well executed, well advertised Fantastic Four movie. Plus, you now have a bunch of compelling characters (and more importantly, villains) to use in future Avengers films.

Alternatively, is it possible they pull off a deal similar to Sony x Marvel with the Spidey rights?

ASM2 grossed $709 million at the box office and was still deemed a failure to Sony. They scrapped all plans with the franchise and went to Marvel, where the new deal to put Spidey in MCU was put in place. Lets say the new F4 bombs even harder than the mid 2000s F4 flicks. At that point, I have to imagine Fox at least looks at what Sony did with Spidey and considers it. If not, where exactly do you go with the Fantastic Four franchise from there? Put out a sequel to a critical and commercial bomb? Place the characters into an X-Men film and potentially poison that well? Another reboot?

tl;dr:

1. If the new F4 bombs, does Fox consider selling the rights back to Marvel? If yes, does Marvel even want them at this point?

2. Alternatively, does Fox look at what Sony did with Spidey and Marvel and try to pull off a similar deal with F4?
Does Marvel say yes, but only if they can use Wolverine and Magneto in Avengers 3? /dream

3. If Fox does not approach Marvel with regards to the F4 franchise, where exactly do they go from here?

sorry if this is off topic, but after the whole deal with Spider-Man I think we can all agree that anything is possible and dreams do come true. Marvel being able to use the characters of Fantastic Four could mean big things for MCU phase 4.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i guess its possible they could sell it back or let it lapse and hope marvel comes to buy them back after 3 movies that were smedium good at best.

I could also see Fox keeping the property because they have lie another 7 or so years to mess up the FF4.

Where is Mark Millar at btw he was supposed to be tying the xmen and ff4 together.

I doubt Fox will let Marvel get the license back since the two are not in friendly terms like Sony so they'll keep it out of spite and try again in few years before the license expires again

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Fox is just going to sit on the license. There's no way they're going to let it lapse. If they're really done with it, they're try to sell it or negotiate something for it. In the meantime, there's no harm in just sitting on it until they figure out what their next move is.

I don't see a Spider-man situation happening. Don't think Marvel has as good of a relationship with Fox as they do with Sony.

Neoxon

Nobody's gonna trust Fox with the Fantastic Four anymore, so Marvel regaining the rights in the near future isn't as unlikely as one would think.

Fox is just going to sit on the license. There's no way they're going to let it lapse. If they're really done with it, they're try to sell it or negotiate something for it. In the meantime, there's no harm in just sitting on it until they figure out what their next move is.

I don't see a Spider-man situation happening. Don't think Marvel has as good of a relationship with Fox as they do with Sony.

That's being too kind, I think. Isn't it more antagonistic/hateful?

I said this in the review thread, but Fox won't give it back. My reason: Daredevil.

Fox had Daredevil and couldn't get anything going and gave it up. Marvel turned it into a very successful property. I think they will hang onto the rights and try again in 7 years rather than ever let that happen again.

I doubt Fox will let Marvel get the license back since the two are not in friendly terms like Sony so they'll keep it out of spite and try again in few years before the license expires again

It's crazy to me how pervasive this line of thinking is. Giant corporations do not generally act out of spite. If the right deal comes along Fox won't snub it to spite Marvel. It's all about money and brand power...these are the things motivating Marvel as well, on their end, to diminish the presence of the FF and the X-Men in their own products. Not spite.

Dalek

completely amateur question-why does the Marvel logo appear before FF and X-Men movies? Doesn't Marvel Studios feel that creates confusion as the logos are so similar? What does Marvel get by adding their logo to films they don't necessarily approve of?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
completely amateur question-why does the Marvel logo appear before FF and X-Men movies? Doesn't Marvel Studios feel that creates confusion as the logos are so similar? What does Marvel get by adding their logo to films they don't necessarily approve of?
Because they are Marvel propertys?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Nobody's gonna trust Fox with the Fantastic Four anymore, so Marvel regaining the rights in the near future isn't as unlikely as one would think.
But who is "nobody?" If you're talking about the general movie-going populace, they don't care who's putting them out. The only people who cares if Fox is doing it or not were already wary of this adaptation, and they're in the minority.

That's being too kind, I think. Isn't it more antagonistic/hateful?

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I can't remember any examples of it... outside of maybe the Daredevil/FF negotiations falling through.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey guys, there is a X-Men Live Action TV Show coming up.
Maybe the already exchanged the rights!

Most likely they just didn something different

Anth0ny

I understand that Fox and Marvel are not on "friendly terms"... but money is money. If there's money to be made by both parties, I think a deal will be made. It's exactly what happened with Spider-Man, and I can see it happening with Fantastic Four.

From what I've gathered, Marvel refuses to advertise the Fantastic Four and X-Men characters as much as their MCU cast of characters because it's "free advertising" for film properties they don't own. You have Marvel cancelling F4 and X-Men comics, refusing to release any kind of toys for billion dollar X-Men films like Days of Future Past, and even stuff like erasing the characters off their lineup artwork:

LHBAC99.jpg

SWwDAEH.jpg

Fox can't be happy about this. Marvel really has them by the balls.

Maybe the failure of Fantastic Four could lead to Marvel and Fox talking about this stuff and finally working out a deal together. Maybe Marvel says we'll release Hugh Jackman Wolverine toys if you let us use him in two of our MCU films. Oh, and Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus and Reed Richards. I'm sure Fox would kill for some X-Men toys on shelves.

It doesn't seem too farfetched to me, honestly. Again, Sony thought "fuck, ASM2 made only $709 million. This isn't working. We should try to work out a deal with Marvel". You have to imagine if F4 bombs that Fox will at least think about going to Marvel in a similar fashion.

Apparently, a few years ago, Marvel offered Fox more time with the Daredevil license in exchange for the use of some Fantastic Four characters. Fox refused to co-operate, since they had this new F4 film in the works. Well, clearly that doesn't look like it's working out too well for them. Maybe Marvel will approach them again and things will be different.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I understand that Fox and Marvel are not on "friendly terms"... but money is money. If there's money to be made by both parties, I think a deal will be made. It's exactly what happened with Spider-Man, and I can see it happening with Fantastic Four.

From what I've gathered, Marvel refuses to advertise the Fantastic Four and X-Men characters as much as their MCU cast of characters because it's "free advertising" for film properties they don't own. You have Marvel cancelling F4 and X-Men comics, refusing to release any kind of toys for billion dollar X-Men films like Days of Future Past, and even stuff like erasing the characters off their lineup artwork:

LHBAC99.jpg

SWwDAEH.jpg

Maybe the failure of Fantastic Four could lead to Marvel and Fox talking about this stuff and finally working out a deal together. Maybe Marvel says we'll release Hugh Jackman Wolverine toys if you let us use him in two of our MCU films. Oh, and Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus and Reed Richards. I'm sure Fox would kill for some X-Men toys on shelves.

It doesn't seem too farfetched to me, honestly. Again, Sony thought "fuck, ASM2 made only $709 million. This isn't working. We should try to work out a deal with Marvel". You have to imagine if F4 bombs that Fox will at least think about going to Marvel in a similar fashion.

Apparently, a few years ago, Marvel offered Fox more time with the Daredevil license in exchange for the use of some Fantastic Four characters. Fox refused to co-operate, since they had this new F4 film in the works. Well, clearly that doesn't look like it's working out too well for them. Maybe Marvel will approach them again and things will be different.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-deal-x-men-live-813542

Fox is currently negotiating with Marvel to make an X-Men TV series.

Perhaps Fox can give the FF rights to Marvel in exchange for their blessing in making the X-Men TV series?

tomtom94

I highly doubt Fox will talk to Marvel about any potential deal until after Apocalypse, to be honest. If they do make a deal then they're mugs - they're in such a weak negotiating position right now.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm mainly wondering what exactly they'll show off so that certain things don't get overshadowed. Show off the actual BP costume? A clip revealing the BP costume? If they do that would they reveal Spidey, or would that take away all the attention from Panther? And would they even show anything related to Strange at all, would that overshadow the Civil War stuff, or would it be lost in the bustle from a potential BP/Spidey reveal?

I think they will show concept art of the various British people as the characters in Dr. Strange. Maybe Spider-Man's look in Civil War also.

Black Panther will probably be revealed in the Civil War footage. We've already seen concept art and I don't think they'd ignore him.

Anth0ny

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-deal-x-men-live-813542

Fox is currently negotiating with Marvel to make an X-Men TV series.

Perhaps Fox can give the FF rights to Marvel in exchange for their blessing in making the X-Men TV series?

Yeah that is just crazy. Saw that just after I finished my post above.

Uh... what exactly does Marvel have to gain from letting Fox create a live action X-Men TV show? It kinda goes directly against everything they've been doing (as in, trying to scrape every trace of Fantastic Four and X-Men off the face of the Earth).

Marvel has to gain something from this, if they close this deal.

TDLink

Uh... what exactly does Marvel have to gain from letting Fox create a live action X-Men TV show? It kinda goes directly against everything they've been doing (as in, trying to scrape every trace of Fantastic Four and X-Men off the face of the Earth).

I think Marvel values the F4 film rights much more than X-Men TV rights.

I think Marvel values the F4 film rights much more than X-Men TV rights.

Agreed. If Marvel isn't going to be using X-Men anyway, why should they care if somebody else is getting the TV rights? Of course, they shouldn't drop them for free, but they should negotiate the F4 film rights in exchange, as it opens up a LOT of possibilities regarding their interstellar properties.

TDLink

Agreed. If Marvel isn't going to be using X-Men anyway, why should they care if somebody else is getting the TV rights? Of course, they shouldn't drop them for free, but they should negotiate the F4 film rights in exchange, as it opens up a LOT of possibilities regarding their interstellar properties.

Yeah. I think getting the entire property back is their opening offer but they would probably settle on the same thing they offered before for Daredevil (Galactus and the Heralds including silver surfer, and the other cosmic FF stuff).

Neoxon

LHBAC99.jpg

SWwDAEH.jpg

If such a deal were to happen, Marvel would outright get the F4 film rights. Given the situation, I doubt that Fox is in any position to negotiate a Sony-esque deal for the Fantastic Four. And with Fox negotiating with Marvel for an X-Men TV series, I'm pretty sure Marvel's gonna use that as leverage to get the F4 rights back.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Doom

Neoxon

Someone on YouTube brought up the idea of Michael B. Jordan playing Patriot in the MCU to continue the tradition of Human Torches being promoted to other MCU roles.

Patriotya.png

I honestly could see it, but wouldn't Michael be a bit old by the time they'd want Patriot?

I agree with you. Like others have said, it could simply be a mutually beneficial profit share, but couldn't they have had that with the comics they've decided to purge as well?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Someone on YouTube brought up the idea of Michael B. Jordan playing Patriot in the MCU to continue the tradition of Human Torches being promoted to other MCU roles.

Patriotya.png

I honestly could see it, but wouldn't Michael be a bit old by the time they'd want Patriot?

I dunno, in Slasher movies teenagers are always beeing played by end 20s.
I would age up the Young Avengers for a movie anyway. Make them 18-20.

I agree with you. Like others have said, it could simply be a mutually beneficial profit share, but couldn't they have had that with the comics they've decided to purge as well?

The difference is Disney values Spider-Man on par with Star Wars. It probably values F4 slightly above Thor (after the damage to the brand from 3 successive average-to-shit films).

Kevinroc

Marvel mainly wants the cosmic characters & the villains from the F4. I'm guessing that if the deal is made, they'll likely just get the rest of the F4 as well. In fact, maybe Marvel could also get whatever percentage of Namor that Fox has.

The rights to Namor are such a mess. It's a shame because he is one of Marvel's best characters and should be on screen next to Captain America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom