• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone should just put Feige's face in here.
2275307-2269107_ff16i_here_i_can_build.jpg

When a non-fansite (Variety, THR, TheWrap, Deadline) reports that it's a serious possibility, I'll believe it's a serious possibility.

Until then, it smacks of wishful thinking.
Not wishingful at all -- Fox directors have a fiduciary obligation to their shareholders to seriously consider such an offer given the atrocious track record with turning a profit on the F4 brand.

This film may break-even in accounting terms (it's hard for a film not to these days) but its destined to make a large economic loss, (notwithstanding its modest budget) and that's what investors care about these days.

However, the sale of the rights back to Disney for a lump-sum may appease at least some of their investors given how superhero films are advertised as "can't miss" to investors, these days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, I cant wait for the news.
Of course it will take a couple of weeks before we would get a official announcement, since the movie just arrived, but I can see them making an annoucement around october.

Pachimari

Are we expecting them to trade the Fantastic Four license for the X-Men TV rights, and cancel all plans for their Fantastic Four sequel this year?

Anth0ny

lmao lotta pissy Marvel fans wantin' it to tank me thinks. Good. Should go back to Marvel anyways.

ehh, lots of "pissy marvel fans" wanted amazing spiderman 2 to tank, too. shit still made $700 million at the box office. this has little to do with fanboys, and mostly to do with the film being marketed like absolute dog shit and being total dog shit.

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. Fox is surely fully aware of how the FF rights would strengthen the Marvel brand, arguably one of their largest competitors at the box office. They may still decide it is better to at least sit on the rights, even if they don't use them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. Fox is surely fully aware of how the FF rights would strengthen the Marvel brand, arguably one of their largest competitors at the box office. They may still decide it is better to at least sit on the rights, even if they don't use them.
There is no way Marvel would let go of the X-Men TV rights without getting something big.

Neoxon

But it's the exact same thing I've been saying all weekend, nobody's gonna trust Fox with the Fantastic Four now. And even then, it's clear that Fox doesn't give a shit about the Fantastic Four themselves or the characters associated with them, they only care about the money connected to the franchise. And now, there's no money to be made with the F4 in Fox's hands. Plus, crossing the F4 over with the X-Men would, like I've said before, taint the X-Men (& Fox already said that the two won't cross over). And Marvel isn't giving up the X-Men TV rights without getting something else in return.

There is no way Marvel would let go of the X-Men TV rights without getting something big.

"Something big" does not automatically mean "FF rights." Marvel might be willing to let the X-Men tv rights go for something different. There are a lot of ways that negotiation could play out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"Something big" does not automatically mean "FF rights." Marvel might be willing to let the X-Men tv rights go for something different. There are a lot of ways that negotiation could play out.
Maybe Marvel will just get all the cosmic related characters. Galactus, Silver Sufer, Annihilus, a couple of Super Skrull maybe the Shi Ar.

Its more realistic, but one can dream :D

But it's the exact same thing I've been saying all weekend, nobody's gonna trust Fox with the Fantastic Four now. And even then, it's clear that Fox doesn't give a shit about the Fantastic Four themselves or the characters associated with them, they only care about the money connected to the franchise. And now, there's no money to be made with the F4 in Fox's hands. Plus, crossing the F4 over with the X-Men would, like I've said before, taint the X-Men (& Fox already said that the two won't cross over). And Marvel isn't giving up the X-Men TV rights without getting something else in return.

But there is money to be made with the FF at home with Marvel. That's my point. If I were Fox I wouldn't want my tentpoles to have to go up against GotG: Annihilation or an Avengers vs. Galactus/Kang/Doom etc. film.

I am sure Disney will try to make a deal. The timing is perfect. But we have no way of knowing how that is going to play out. There is substantial risk for Fox in such a deal.

I just think it's a bit early to declare victory for the MCU with Fant4stic bombing so hard. There are a lot of moving parts, here.

tomtom94

People say "no-one will trust Fox with the Fantastic Four now" but it does bear mentioning that so many reviews call it a "Marvel" film. Not that I expect it to hurt Marvel since Civil War will be a juggernaut of marketing, but I think Fox will be just fine.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
People say "no-one will trust Fox with the Fantastic Four now" but it does bear mentioning that so many reviews call it a "Marvel" film. Not that I expect it to hurt Marvel since Civil War will be a juggernaut of marketing, but I think Fox will be just fine.
No, Fox is the one who loses the money.

It does surprise me that even here on gaf, people occasionally need to be informed that Marvel had nothing to do with Fant4stic.

edit: I do agree with those who are saying Fox won't exactly be fine coming out of this.

The posters also say "From the studio that brought You X-Men: Days of Future Past". That is definitely gonna bite them in the ass more than after than it did for this film's release.

Fine in what way? Sony got ansty even after ASM 2 turned a profit because its ROE was poor.

It had profound consequences on how investors saw subsequent Sony projects and how Sony managed the IP going forward.

c-murph

ehh, lots of "pissy marvel fans" wanted amazing spiderman 2 to tank, too. shit still made $700 million at the box office. this has little to do with fanboys, and mostly to do with the film being marketed like absolute dog shit and being total dog shit.

Yeeeeeeeaaaah, Difference being "Spider-man". You can literally slap him on shit and still sell a million. People luv dem sum spidermen. No one gives a shit about F4 really... Been proven time and time again.

Yeeeeeeeaaaah, Difference being "Spider-man". You can literally slap him on shit and still sell a million. People luv dem sum spidermen. No one gives a shit about F4 really... Been proven time and time again.

According to your own post, a lot of "pissy" fans must give a shit about the FF, for their influence to wield such power over its box office.

Learn the difference between accounting profit and economic profit. In economic terms, ASM2 barely broke even (what investors were promised vs what they received).

tomtom94

The posters also say "From the studio that brought You X-Men: Days of Future Past". That is definitely gonna bite them in the ass more than after than it did for this film's release.

Then they go "here's X-Men Apocalypse, it has Hugh Jackman in his last Wolverine / Tatum / Lawrence / Fassbender" and everyone forgets this film ever existed. The only hit they take is financing it in the first place.

Quick

Banned
Man, I cant wait for the news.
Of course it will take a couple of weeks before we would get a official announcement, since the movie just arrived, but I can see them making an annoucement around october.

Are we expecting them to trade the Fantastic Four license for the X-Men TV rights, and cancel all plans for their Fantastic Four sequel this year?

GAMEPROFF, are you just speculating, or is there concrete evidence of Marvel Studios working with Fox in the background?

I haven't read any news about F4 or Marvel Studios all weekend.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, F4 performances worser than Reed can build shields and out of sudden Fox annouces final negotiations with Marvel over a X-Men Live Action TV Show, after Marvel showed no sign to better their relationships Fox.

I just dont see them move from their old position without exchangimg right or at least a couple of characters.
But its more speculation at this point.

Not wishingful at all -- Fox directors have a fiduciary obligation to their shareholders to seriously consider such an offer given the atrocious track record with turning a profit on the F4 brand.

This film may break-even in accounting terms (it's hard for a film not to these days) but its destined to make a large economic loss, (notwithstanding its modest budget) and that's what investors care about these days.

However, the sale of the rights back to Disney for a lump-sum may appease at least some of their investors given how superhero films are advertised as "can't miss" to investors, these days.

Even assuming Fox/Constantin want to make a deal, does Marvel really want the property back badly enough to pay?

Remember that they paid nothing for Spider-Man, and have no financial participation in the 2017 film.

Even assuming Fox/Constantin want to make a deal, does Marvel really want the property back badly enough to pay?

Remember that they paid nothing for Spider-Man, and have no financial participation in the 2017 film.

Despite the damage Fox has done to the brand, I do think it's still likelier than not that Marvel wants the rights back pretty badly. There are at last half a dozen villains tied to the FF rights that could make hundreds of millions of dollars each in MCU films. They don't even have to make an FF film to easily make it a worthwhile deal.

They could do an entire trilogy of GotG films with Annihilus, Galactus and Super Skrull. Kang could fuel a great Avengers film. And they need Doom if they ever want to do Secret Wars.

Quick

Banned

I should clarify that I was referring to Fox specifically negotiating the Fantastic Four rights with Marvel. I know about their negotiation involving the making of an X-Men TV series.

Well, F4 performances worser than Reed can build shields and out of sudden Fox annouces final negotiations with Marvel over a X-Men Live Action TV Show, after Marvel showed no sign to better their relationships Fox.

I just dont see them move from their old position without exchangimg right or at least a couple of characters.
But its more speculation at this point.

I just did some quick news searching and I've seen no mention at all of Fox placing the rights to Fantastic Four on the table for Marvel to exchange X-Men's TV rights, or approve a production for it. Anything relating to Fox, Marvel, and Fantastic Four rights have all been speculation.

Not saying it's not gonna happen, but it's extremely premature to "expect" an announcement that it's a done deal. I'm sure Fox is considering all their options after Fantastic Four's performance at the box office. This is Bush's Mission Accomplished-levels of prematurity.

Fox could just it off any day now, sure, but that's probably after a long process.

That's the gagillion dollar question -- on the one hand it will be buying back the IP at its lowest point, on the other hand it's not in a position to use it for another 5 years.

Thus, Disney's preference is a swap on terms that others have suggested. Whereas Fox may prefer cash. (X-men TV rights have highly speculative worth, ITBT)

Anth0ny

Learn the difference between accounting profit and economic profit. In economic terms, ASM2 barely broke even (what investors were promised vs what they received).

and... $700 million is still $700 million. I don't recall bringing up profit? I'm well aware that asm2 was ultimately a disappointment when you factor in all the costs involved, which is why sony approached marvel in the first place. my point was that despite angry marvel fans on the internet that wanted to boycott the film so the rights to the character would revert back to marvel, a TON of people still went to go watch spidey in theaters.

not the case with fantastic 4.

and... $700 million is still $700 million. I don't recall bringing up profit? I'm well aware that asm2 was ultimately a disappointment when you factor in all the costs involved, which is why sony approached marvel in the first place. my point was that despite angry marvel fans on the internet that wanted to boycott the film so the rights to the character would revert back to marvel, a TON of people still went to go watch spidey in theaters.

not the case with fantastic 4.

Because ASM2 may be the better film?

The investors who backed ASM2 would have made more money if they stuck their cash in the bank for two years.

and... $700 million is still $700 million.
Well it made $50 million less than its predecessor, and even with 3D and ticket inflation the highest grossing ASM film still grossed over a $100 million less than Spider-Man 3. Still a lot of money, but interest that's declining.

FF is way more extreme on this front though, I agree.

Saw Ant-Man over the weekend. Was a little scared by the mixed reviews here on GAF, but for me it's my second favorite Marvel solo film behind Winter Soldier. Was not expecting to like Scott and Hank as much as I did.

It's official....Fant4stic bombed. Didn't even crack 30 mil.

He was not willing to write off the “Fantastic Four” series yet, but stressed that the studio would be engaged in a rigorous postmortem about the film’s failure. The foursome’s future might be as supporting players in other comicbook characters’ movies.

“We have a lot to look forward to in our comicbook character universe,” said Aronson. “We may find different ways to feature these characters in the future, but it’s early and we’ll have to see what form that takes.”

Yeh. Given Fox's relationship with Disney/Marvel, I think the bolded is the more likely outcome. Feige needs to move a lot of cash around to get around that exec's ideas.

Yeh. Given Fox's relationship with Disney/Marvel, I think the bolded is the more likely outcome. Feige needs to move a lot of cash around to get around that exec's ideas.
But who? Not the X-Men, as they're "different universes" apparently, and others think Fox won't want to poison the well, so to speak. So what other rights does Fox have that they can make the FF supporting cast for? I want to believe this is PR bullshit desperately trying to cover their ass after such a massive beating they just took but I'm genuinely curious how, if we exclude the X-Men, Fox could pull off a non-FF movie where the FF are still part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom