• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who? Not the X-Men, as they're "different universes" apparently, and others think Fox won't want to poison the well, so to speak. So what other rights does Fox have that they can make the FF supporting cast for? I want to believe this is PR bullshit desperately trying to cover their ass after such a massive beating they just took but I'm genuinely curious how, if we exclude the X-Men, Fox could pull off a non-FF movie where the FF are still part of it.

Why exclude the X-men?

Wolverine Origins was shit but they didnt remove Wolverine from the X-men. They know that the cast is respectable. They know that everyone knows the cast is good. So all they really need is a solid "in" for the FF team to come in the X movies. The question for this is how many movies are those cast members contracted for.

I'm ignoring the different universes quote mainly because thats easy enough to ignore in comic book universes and that FF was just about traveling between dimensions.

Neoxon

It's a great edit but...

Feige's name is spelt wrong :p
I'm on it.

EDIT: Fixed

GspvG9u.jpg

Why exclude the X-men?

Wolverine Origins was shit but they didnt remove Wolverine from the X-men. They know that the cast is respectable. They know that everyone knows the cast is good. So all they really need is a solid "in" for the FF team to come in the X movies. The question for this is how many movies are those cast members contracted for.

I'm ignoring the different universes quote mainly because thats easy enough to ignore in comic book universes and that FF was just about traveling between dimensions.
One of the most common complaints for this movie is that the cast didn't exhibit one ounce of chemistry. And this is supposed to be the Fantastic Four. The individual cast member might be good actors in their own right but chemistry is not something that you can easily gain.

Anyway, if crossovers are so easy, or even possible without Marvel's involvement, to pull off, or if they help the licensees actually keep their properties in any way, then it should have happened sooner, no? Fox could have thrown Daredevil in an X-Men movie or throw the FF in there sooner if it meant keeping their rights, as opposed to throwing hundreds of millions at young inexperienced directors to save their licenses. So I highly doubt Fox would choose to go this path.

Don't many people already complain the X Men movies don't use the already HUGE cast of popular mutant characters? I don't think trying to implement the four FF characters (and various side characters/villains) would help with that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Don't many people already complain the X Men movies don't use the already HUGE cast of popular mutant characters? I don't think trying to implement the four FF characters (and various side characters/villains) would help with that.

The FF and its side characters would do a good job filling out the character roster for Phase 4.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
and... $700 million is still $700 million. I don't recall bringing up profit? I'm well aware that asm2 was ultimately a disappointment when you factor in all the costs involved, which is why sony approached marvel in the first place. my point was that despite angry marvel fans on the internet that wanted to boycott the film so the rights to the character would revert back to marvel, a TON of people still went to go watch spidey in theaters.

not the case with fantastic 4.

they would've been fine had they got merch money but they get film rights forever in trade for the merch rights....and that is why they are back at the negotiating table basically. With merch rights they wouldn't need to be worried about making expensive spiderman films.

they would've been fine had they got merch money but they get film rights forever in trade for the merch rights....and that is why they are back at the negotiating table basically. With merch rights they wouldn't need to be worried about making expensive spiderman films.
No, dude; 12% ROI on $500m is pretty fucking far from "fine"

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I mean, I stopped reading comics years ago because I just got too busy and had to spend money on other things. That being said, in my slim observations since I quit, it seems like they've altered their entire X-Men line to gear more toward Avengers. I really doubt sales warranted that, but I genuinely don't know.

Ughhhhh xmen did drop out of their number 1 spot but they still had a plethora of books "years ago". Avengers took their spot a decade ago or more with ultimates being a hit, avengers disassembled being a hit, Mighty and New avengers, Dark Avengers. Before Iron Man even hit the avengers were the top team again in marvel after decades of the xmen being on top. Even after all that the Xmen had like 5 books. Xmen, Uncanny, New Mutants came back, Xfactor (separate but still awesome), X Force, Astonishing, and a few more i cant remember. Not like they suddenly have 1 xmen book, the xmen fell off on their own after they became a mutant making factory book, full of a bunch of non heroes.

I see the F4 being a victim of this since both the F4 is cancelled but some of that is Fractions run was stupid as shit and a huge drop from Hickmans which was legendary like Waid, Claremon, Kirby/Lee runs. Fractions run and the following revamp was just bad...it really was.

edited

I see the FF4 being a victim of this since both the FF4 is cancelled but some of that is Fractions run was stupid as shit and a huge drop from Hickmans which was legendary like Waid, Claremon, Kirby/Lee runs. Fractions run and the following revamp was just bad...it really was.
FF4?
Marvel making Final Fantasy 4

Mafro

I see the F4 being a victim of this since both the F4 is cancelled but some of that is Fractions run was stupid as shit and a huge drop from Hickmans which was legendary like Waid, Claremon, Kirby/Lee runs. Fractions run and the following revamp was just bad...it really was.
Fractions FF, however, was absolutely brilliant.

jph139

I liked Fraction's run more than Hickman's honestly. Hickman's was more ambitious and impressive, sure, but Fraction's really felt like a modern take on the classic Lee/Kirby stories. And the way F4 and FF wove threads back and forth... really cool. The true nature of Julius Caesar is one of my favorite twists in recent memory.

I've never been into the F4 in any way but I really enjoyed Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run. If I liked that, would you say his F4 is worth checking out?

Definitely. Lots of really close thematic links between the two. It has a different flavor but it feels like they're all from the same tree - because, well, they are.

curb

Banned
Definitely. Lots of really close thematic links between the two. It has a different flavor but it feels like they're all from the same tree - because, well, they are.

I may have to do that. I've got Marvel Unlimited this year and I've been looking for something longer to dig into. Thanks.

duckroll

That's a really bad shot of the costume. It looks so loose. Feels like it isn't even put on properly. Kinda hope Marvel decides to do some damage control now that shit is leaking out, and roll out the next stage of marketing soon. Isn't D23 around the corner?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's a really bad shot of the costume. It looks so loose. Feels like it isn't even put on properly. Kinda hope Marvel decides to do some damage control now that shit is leaking out, and roll out the next stage of marketing soon. Isn't D23 around the corner?
I think its this weekend.

Dave_6

It's just a stunt double anyways so I wouldn't base anything off of it. Knowing Marvel, it will look very much like that art that was released at their event last year.

curb

Banned
I think one fuzzy leaked photo is zero reason to panic. There's a reason these things aren't supposed to be out there early.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
iron-man-avengers-2.jpg

Costumes never look good before being touched up. He is looking skinny though.
I think there is a difference between a shitty look at a CGI-heavy character like Iron Man or someone like Black Panther, from who I dont expect much afterwork. Look at Captain America, Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, they all looked pretty good on Set pics.

E the Shaggy

1.) They're stunt doubles
2.) I'm sure they have to use somewhat of a more loose costume for action scenes
3.) Not everyone can be Crossbones.

I think there is a difference between a shitty look at a CGI-heavy character like Iron Man or someone like Black Panther, from who I dont expect much afterwork. Look at Captain America, Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, they all looked pretty good on Set pics.

And Quicksilver who looked like shit both in set photos and in the actual movie.

I think one fuzzy leaked photo is zero reason to panic. There's a reason these things aren't supposed to be out there early.

No. It's over. It's all over. Disney, sell Marvel to Fox. Cut your losses.

Not liking a uniform hardly amounts to panic. By MCU norms he'll probably have a shiny new one in his own film (if not by the 3rd Act of this). I don't like the Flash uniform, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

curb

Banned
Not liking a uniform hardly amounts to panic. By MCU norms he'll probably have a shiny new one in his own film (if not by the 3rd Act of this). I don't like the Flash uniform, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

I don't actually think there's panic but I do think it's premature to really have any strong judgement on it based one poor picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom