• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Another Wasp concept art pic:

CQBNWGUU8AACzgn.jpg

I don't think we know who at Marvel forced Whedon.
Besides, didn't Whedon want to have a runtime that is not longer than the first Avengers by himself

He said it maybe once or twice but as far as we know there was no mandate for it. I doubt he would have made the choices he did just to get that one minute down.

Vibranium

Banned
With most movies that have pacing issues I kinda get over it with the 2nd viewing. Special cases like AoU it still irks me when a scene is obviously cut shorter than they wanted but it ruins the movie a lot less.

I do think AOU has a lot of money shots but they're just not as iconic as what we got in the first movie. However that scene of them busting Ultrons in a circle is my favorite action segment from the entire MCU.

One little thing I hated in AOU was how during the city battle Cap randomly ran around without his helmet. They could have at least had it battle-damaged like in the first movir or something.

Also, I really wish Hawkeye would get a tactical mask, but I guess that won't happen due to actor facetime which sucks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He said it maybe once or twice but as far as we know there was no mandate for it. I doubt he would have made the choices he did just to get that one minute down.

Espescially since we know that Loki should have a full fledged cameo and now you can barely see him when you freeze the frame.

Pachimari

I like what Kevin Feige has said today about the shows and films eventually crossing over. I really hope we'll see Wilson Fisk in a Spidey solo movie. And Daredevil in Infinity War, and Quake in Inhumans.

Shaanyboi

Banned
One little thing I hated in AOU was how during the city battle Cap randomly ran around without his helmet. They could have at least had it battle-damaged like in the first movir or something.

Also, I really wish Hawkeye would get a tactical mask, but I guess that won't happen due to actor facetime which sucks.

Literally no practical reason for Hawkeye to have a tactical mask. Actor facetime is so far beside the point on that choice.

curb

Banned
I'm glad Feige finally sorta committed to that idea. I doubt it will ever be extensive though which makes me a little sad because while I'm sure the Defenders will show up at least briefly during Infinity War, I'd love for Coulson and Daisy to pop up too.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...el-cinematic-universe? hub page&utm_content=2

Kevin Feige talks about how Spider-Man fits into the MCU.

Making that agreement ... was great, and was really amazing, and on a personal level making these movies, it means a lot because I think we can do great things with Spider-Man," Feige said. "I think Spider-man can serve great purpose in our universe and that's where he belongs. That was what was unique about him in the comics was not that he was the only superhero in the world; it's that he was a totally different kind of superhero when compared against all the other ones in the Marvel universe at the time."

Since the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man deal only became official in February, one reporter asked Feige about how Marvel will incorporate the character into the MCU relatively late in the game. After noting that "it's not about when you show up, it's about what you do once you're there," Feige explained that Marvel's creative team had a Spider-Man backup plan to be prepared if his addition fell into place.

"This has been a dream of ours for a long time," Feige said. "We always had contingency plans, which we always do anyway. Are we going to be able to make another deal with this actor? If so, we're going to do this; if not, we're going to do this. If we get the rights to a certain character, that's great; we're going to do this. If not, we're going to do this. We always sort of operate under those various alternate timelines available and ready to shift if something happens."

Feige also noted that "the most important thing as a standalone is relaunching Spider-Man in his own standalone movie with his own storylines that fits into this universe. That is job number one for us. ... The connectivity is great, but it doesn't drive the train."

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I'm glad Feige finally sorta committed to that idea. I doubt it will ever be extensive though which makes me a little sad because while I'm sure the Defenders will show up at least briefly during Infinity War, I'd love for Coulson and Daisy to pop up too.

...they'd die immediately

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
New avatar, Thor is ignored too much!

with good reason they short changed the property , he's an expensive character to do , and he has an expansive book/lore with a huge ensemble cast. Trying to take a sliver of that and present Thor without the "Journey Into Mystery" and substitute all that with...being an analogue of the Kree or Xandar speaking old English will only go so far....Thor could take over and I hope Ragnarok ...literally give the finger to the previous attempts of world building the first two stories botch it wont be missed.

Thor and The Dark World are entertaining movies that absolutely fail to recognize the potential of Thor both in terms of his abilities and as a storytelling device. There is so fucking much they could have done with Asgard and the Nine Realms but they ended up going with the most bland and limiting version of the mythology they could have.

Like Rex said, I desperately need that "Journey Into Mystery" flavor in the Thor movies. It's the weirdest fucking property that Marvel has but they treat it like light sci-fi.

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't get shafted so hard in the crossover movies. It's like insult to injury how little they did with him in AOU.

Neoxon

Well I'd hope it'd be mostly based around Starlin's books, not exactly a lot else to pull from when it comes to the Gauntlet...
That New York exploding during the Thanos/Black Bolt fight from Infinity is about as perfect a MCU ending moment as you can possible get though.
But the impact of the Terrigen Bomb is kinda moot considering that you already have the same result from the Fish Oil pills (see Agents of SHIELD).

I don't think the Inhumans will even play a big part in Infinity War so I don't think we'll get that terrigen bomb moment.

What I hope it means is that Thanos will arrive with a massive army and his Black Order. I need Proxima Midnight and The Ebony Maw on screen.

duckroll

Infinity as a story arc itself is pretty meh. What would benefit a film most would be to take the Thanos faction and the underlings, and maybe some of his motivations, and use that to inspire the background for the films. Everything else should not be a factor.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...lert-marvel-reads-your-carol-danvers-fancasts

Article about how Feige and company look at fan casting lists for Captain Marvel, including Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt, Katheryn Winnick and Jessica Chastain, etc, but the more interesting bit is that:

“There won’t be any announcements about that this year,” Feige said. “I think right now we’re scripting the film, figuring out who we want Carol Danvers to be, and really what the structure of the movie will be and what her part will be in some of our other Phase 3 films. And it would be next year that we start to really think about casting.”

curb

Banned
http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...lert-marvel-reads-your-carol-danvers-fancasts

Article about how Feige and company look at fan casting lists for Captain Marvel, including Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt, Katheryn Winnick and Jessica Chastain, etc, but the more interesting bit is that:

A little disappointing for me but I sure hope she shows up before Infinity War. I don't know how and I don't really care - just don't wait to introduce in the middle of a two-parter.

duckroll

I'm not really surprised they're taking their time with Captain Marvel and Inhumans. Those are pretty far off. They haven't even found a director for Black Panther yet. What -is- surprising to me though, is that the year is coming to an end and they still have not been able to make any firm announcements about Thor Ragnarok. That project really needs a director and writer confirmed soon if they want to lock up production schedules for it. Maybe the people they were approaching dropped out?

Neoxon

I'm not really surprised they're taking their time with Captain Marvel and Inhumans. Those are pretty far off. They haven't even found a director for Black Panther yet. What -is- surprising to me though, is that the year is coming to an end and they still have not been able to make any firm announcements about Thor Ragnarok. That project really needs a director and writer confirmed soon if they want to lock up production schedules for it. Maybe the people they were approaching dropped out?
Black Panther isn't until Summer 2018, they have time.

Given the time left, Doctor Strange or Thor 3 are going to be the best place to intro Carol, given that James Gunn says she won't be in GotG 2 (unless he's lying).

duckroll

Thor Ragnarok already has writers though right? And it is releasing near end of the year, plenty of time still.

Don't think so. Last I checked Feige only mentioned that one of the producers was working on the story. There's no actual screenplay writer attached yet, and no director. They were hoping to announce confirmations by the end of Summer, but that didn't happen.

Thor Ragnarok already has writers though right? And it is releasing near end of the year, plenty of time still.

All we know is Chris Yost is co-writing, which he also did for The Dark World. Marvel made an announcement about it this time so maybe he's playing a bigger part than we know? I dunno.

I'm gonna lose my mind waiting for the Spidey reveal. I feel like we're gonna get our first glimpse from a leaked Lego set at this point. C'mon dammit!!

tomtom94

Ragnarok is a big concern because I'm pretty sure by this point in production of Dark World they'd announced Taylor was directing.

The only rumour we've heard is Adam McKay, I think, and that was some anonymous guy on Reddit.

Pachimari

There are a lot of Feige tidbits out there. I'll see if I can get some quotes in here we can discuss later.

He did confirm, that we will get official casting announcements for Dr Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 before the end of the year.

Also just bought The Avengers: Age of Ultron bluesy yesterday. Now I just need Agents of Shield S2 and Agent Carter.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Don't think so. Last I checked Feige only mentioned that one of the producers was working on the story. There's no actual screenplay writer attached yet, and no director. They were hoping to announce confirmations by the end of Summer, but that didn't happen.

They have Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost

Pachimari

Feige reacts to Ronda Rousey's interest in the Captain Marvel role:
"I love it. That happens occasionally, and I think that's a testament more to the strength of the characters. Going back to my early days at Marvel, there were always various people campaigning to be Wolverine. I guess that was pre-Twitter and pre-Internet days, but still for some reason would pop up in Wizard Magazine. Wizard Magazine would always have 'this person wants to play this role!' It's a testament to how great the characters are that it appeals to such a wide range of talented, talented people."

Marvel keeps an eye on fan suggestions for Captain Marvel:
"You look at the ways we've cast our films in the past and it's always about who's the best person to inhabit the character, whether that is an actor like Chris Hemsworth who bulks up, or a wrestler like Dave Bautista who played Drax who ends up being an amazing performer, an amazing actor and a clever and witty and pointed comedic actor."

"we always have a clear sense of who we want to cast and who we’re interested in," - said Latchman.

"We have amazing casting directors — Sarah Finn, who’s been with us since Iron Man — but at the same time, when a fan list comes out…"

"We read [the cast suggestions], we go through it, we read the comments, we look at who people like."

"Sometimes it’s really enlightening. Sometimes it’s the exact same person that they’ve been saying over and over again that we don’t think is right. It’s always fun to kinda go through it and see what people are up to."

They haven't met with any actresses yet:
"For us, it's sitting down with people and starting to meet people and as the script takes shape and as we start to build who the character should be and finding the right person to match it up. We haven't necessarily started sitting down with people yet and meeting on that part."

No Carol Danvers casting this year:
"There won’t be any announcements about that this year,"

Thinking about what role she can play in other Phase 3 movies:
"I think right now we’re scripting the film, figuring out who we want Carol Danvers to be, and really what the structure of the movie will be and what her part will be in some of our other Phase 3 films. And it would be next year that we start to really think about casting."

There could literally be Spider-Man spin-offs but focused on solo movie:
"Well, there could be [spin-offs]. But the truth is, our job right now is that single Spider-Man movie based in the MCU. And that’s where all our focus is."

Feige addresses Spider-Gwen in the MCU:
"I think Spider-Gwen in the comics is cool."

Spider-Man can serve a great role in the MCU:
"Making that agreement ... was great, and was really amazing, and on a personal level making these movies, it means a lot because I think we can do great things with Spider-Man. I think Spider-man can serve great purpose in our universe and that's where he belongs. That was what was unique about him in the comics was not that he was the only superhero in the world; it's that he was a totally different kind of superhero when compared against all the other ones in the Marvel universe at the time."

Marvel have alternate scripts in case things doesn't plan out as expected:
After mentioning that "it's not about when you show up, it's about what you do once you're there" in regards to where Spider-Man has been up until now, Feige explained that while they always wanted to bring Peter Parker back into the fold, they had plans just in case that wasn't possible. "This has been a dream of ours for a long time,. We always had contingency plans, which we always do anyway. Are we going to be able to make another deal with this actor? If so, we're going to do this; if not, we're going to do this. If we get the rights to a certain character, that's great; we're going to do this. If not, we're going to do this. We always sort of operate under those various alternate timelines available and ready to shift if something happens." The Marvel boss also went on to point out that, "the most important thing as a standalone is relaunching Spider-Man in his own standalone movie with his own storylines that fits into this universe. That is job number one for us. ... The connectivity is great, but it doesn't drive the train."

Marvel studio head confirms Dr. Strange origin story:
"For some reason people sometimes talked about how we're not doing an origin story, we're bored of origin stories. I think people are bored of origin stories they've seen before or origin stories that are overly familiar. Doctor Strange has one of the best, most classic, most unique origin stories of any hero we have, so why wouldn't we do that?"

Asked who is going to serve as the audience's entry point into the bizarre world of Doctor Strange, Feige confirmed that it will be Benedict Cumberbatch's Stephen Strange, but said that Rachel McAdams' character may do the same. "She plays a very, very big part in the movie and represents a certain point of view of the worlds that we experience in that movie, but Doctor Strange, without a doubt, is the character we follow through the movie."

About The Ancient One being a man or woman:
"We get an amazing actress to play an amazing character, and do it in a way that's very unique and doesn't fall into any outdated stereotypes that sometimes pop up in the comics from years past. It's funny you ask 'Will Tilda Swinton be playing a woman?' and you ask it because she does an amazing job of being sort of ambiguous in terms of gender. I think you'll see us playing it in ways that she's played other characters that way. Clearly she's a woman, but it is very ambiguous in her portrayal."

Avengers as we know them will come to an end:
"Well I think it definitely is an end to some version of the team that we’ve come to know as The Avengers. And I don’t know exactly whats going to happen yet in that film, but I think we start to hint at it at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron that the team will be evolving. But the ideas and ideals that make The Avengers still exist, and I think thats part of what makes this culmination will be: we’re seeing this version of the team doing this thing to save this universe, this galaxy, however you want to put it, and we’ll see where this goes. So its not the end of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it will be the end of part of it for sure. We’re still trying to sort out which parts. (laughs)"

Two last Infinity stones to be revealed soon:
"You will see the other two, sometime in phase three for sure. There’s a gauntlet that needs to be filled."

Thanos' and Odin's Infinity gauntlets are not the same:
"I may as well answer it because you asked it. Its not the same one."

Jeremy Latcham then piped in by asking "Which one do you think is the real one?" something which apparently saw him get a bit of an angry look from Feige. Has the cat been let out of the bag in regards to Thor: Ragnarok?

Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 casting announcements before the end of the year:
"I think it will be pretty quickly. There will be a slew of casting announcements over the next few months. Before the end of the year on those two films and some other films."

Considering bringing back the One-Shots:
Marvel One-Shots. "We talk about [One-Shots] a lot actually, because when you have tables like that (lots of potential storylines, most unexplored in the finished film), and we go, What are we going to do with Howard (the Duck)? What are we going to do with Cosmo? We should do a one shot with Michael Pena. I mean, the universe is big. We’re moving up to three movies a year and I’m not sure how much beyond that we can go so the one shots are great for: oh we have this great idea, wouldn’t it be fun to see… We talk about it a lot. We’re a relatively small team. We’re comfortable doing three movies a year so its just about finding the time and the place. But we have a backlog of ideas."

Mads Mikkelsen is waiting on Marvel's call:
"I know as much as the rest of the world,"

"So far it's been rumors, so I'm waiting on a phone call."

"It would be fantastic to be a part of the Marvel family. I mean, it's something we all grew up with. We all have our heroes, and Doctor Strange is definitely one of the more interesting things."

Feige re-confirms Civil War will be a Captain America movie and a sequel to The Winter Soldier:
"There were a lot of characters in The Winter Soldier, but it felt like a very singular and relatively simple thriller. Civil War follows in that same way," Feige explained. "I think that's something [directors Joe and Anthony Russo] pride themselves on, and our screenwriters Chris Markus and Steve McFeely are excellent at giving each character just enough. They're not full arcs for everybody; it's just enough that their presence is felt and important, but that the very clear single story that is being told is being served at all times."

Source is all things ComicBookMovie.com.

Now let's discuss all things MCU.

Pachimari

It kind of sounds like Feige is referring to Emily Blunt, as the one being talked about all the time, but Marvel not thinking she is the right one.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
"Which one do you think is the real one?"

whaaaaaaa

What exactly is this referring to? Like, Thanos thinks he has the real Infinity Gauntlet but the real one is actually in Asgard? So Thanos will have to steal it from there?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
whaaaaaaa

What exactly is this referring to? Like, Thanos thinks he has the real Infinity Gauntlet but the real one is actually in Asgard? So Thanos will have to steal it from there?
The Gauntlet could be seen in Odin's vault in Thor, really interesting that they are turning that easter egg into something story-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom