• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet they will go 100% the Parker Senior Cancer Suit route :/
Idk. Considering we already have alien Asgardians, Infinity Stones, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Quantum Realm, I dont think Marvel would shy away from alien symbiote Venom, even if their Spidey is so heavily inspired by the Ultimate stories

AMUSIX

Mysterio with a side story of Black Cat, please.

I don't think they should hit any of the villains already seen in Spidey films. And stay away from any of the goblins for a time.

jph139

I mean, I assume we can count out any of the ASM villains for recency alone. So no Electro, Rhino, or Lizard... and probably no Goblin just because that feels like more of a slow burn thing to me in the universe they're building.

I could see Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, or maybe Doc Ock. Everyone else is either too minor/goofy to be lead villain or requires a more entrenched Spider-Man (like, Venom is definitely a sequel baddie).

Actually I'd just like to see a Spiderman fighting organized crime for a change. Maybe they'll hire some superpowered criminal for a big final act battle. A little bit of that street level vibe, we've never really seen that in a Spiderman move besides a few isolated scenes

Pachimari

I would love it, if it is not this grand story but more down to earth. The neighborhood Spidey we can all relate to. Having to capture images of Spidey, not getting enough pay by the Daily Bugle. See more of his school life and relationship to his friends. I want a very strong character arc for Peter Parker first and foremost. Introduce the street-level to the cinema audience and as said above, have the third act alone be risky with a villain.

Quick

Banned
Actually I'd just like to see a Spiderman fighting organized crime for a change. Maybe they'll hire some superpowered criminal for a big final act battle. A little bit of that street level vibe, we've never really seen that in a Spiderman move besides a few isolated scenes

Wouldn't mind organized crime as the b-tier or street level fights he gets into. Have them come from either Kingpin or Madame Gao. Easy MCU tie-in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I know it's likely they'll go with a more famous/classic villain, but my suggestion from the Holland announcement thread would fit nicely into this:

For crime lords, Mister Negative would be an interesting choice, lots of potential there imo. He's a character that would feel far removed from the usual Spidey rogue gallery. And not only he's a crime boss that can play behind the scenes, he also has abilities that can be used interestingly in a movie. Wouldn't hurt to have an Asian actor playing the villain either.

z8HdRJu.jpg

fphQ3FK.jpg

Pachimari

Jackal is up there with all time dumbest Marvel villains. I'd rather see him literally fight Jackyl.

I were kidding about that one. It' funny, because I think Jackal were one of the first villains I were introduced to as a kid, and it was all just so boring. I think it was the clone saga.

Am I the only Spidey fan who absolutely hates the symbiote stuff? Venom is the Shadow the Hedgehog of the comics to me, 'bigger, stronger Spider-Man with infinite webs and doesn't trigger spider-sense' reads like a Deviantart OC.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Am I the only Spidey fan who absolutely hates the symbiote stuff? Venom is the Shadow the Hedgehog of the comics to me, 'bigger, stronger Spider-Man with infinite webs and doesn't trigger spider-sense' reads like a Deviantart OC.

Original Venom was cool, he was ruined very quickly when they started to make him Marvels Spawn. Everything post ASM 300 was basicly shit.

Spidey Kicks Butt has a great articel on this: http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/DarkSideoftheSpider/DarkSideoftheSpider.html

Feige more or less confirmed a couple months back that the films would start referencing the TV series eventually.

But all I expect is just that - references. If a character or plot point originating on a TV series ever gets more than a very brief cameo or cursory reference in a future Marvel Studios film, I'll be very surprised.

Some characters would transition better to cameos than others. Daredevil would be great. Jessica Jones would not.

Could you imagine Jessica Jones listening to Black Widow describe her past while trying to keep a straight face? Jessica is straight up broken human being by comparison.

Marvel will continue to make a point that all these characters are inhabiting the same universe. It's what they do. I thought Night Nurse would be a great character to thread troughout the MCU. Rosario Dawson is a good actress to carry that role too. That's why I was somewhat surprised at the rumored recast for the MCU proper.

Good lord I want to see the Defenders in Avengers 3.

eastx

It's not that hard to get a TV character in the movies if they want. They just have to ask the actor if he or she wants to be in the movie and then stand back while the actor jumps for joy. It's pretty silly that they make it out to be some Fox-level impossible thing to hire someone to play a character you own which that person already has experience playing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
But everyone claimed that Feige doesnt give a shit! Not that burocauty was the reason, even while it was obivious!

but if he gave a shit, he'd cut through the bureaucracy and make it happen

It's not that hard to get a TV character in the movies if they want. They just have to ask the actor if he or she wants to be in the movie and then stand back while the actor jumps for joy. It's pretty silly that they make it out to be some Fox-level impossible thing to hire someone to play a character you own which that person already has experience playing.

Exactly. It's coordination between different arms of the same company, not rival companies.

Given that the TV series have vastly different production schedules, budgets, and audience sizes in addition to being run by a different division of Marvel, it's not quite as simple as you're making it sound.

Now, could Marvel Studios have done more - well, any, there's been none to date - TV->film integration in AOU or Ant-Man if they really wanted to? Probably. But given the reception of Agents of SHIELD at the point when those films were in production, and that they wrapped well before any of the Netflix shows premiered, I can understand why they'd be conservative about it.

Infinity War is just going to be so huge it almost makes more sense to bring some of the movie characters down to the Defenders show and mix it up from the opposite direction. Spidey should cross for sure, and Dr. Strange. Maybe even Carol would get to spark a friendship with Jessica Jones as comics intended.

Infinity War is just going to be so huge it almost makes more sense to bring some of the movie characters down to the Defenders show and mix it up from the opposite direction. Spidey should cross for sure, and Dr. Strange. Maybe even Carol would get to spark a friendship with Jessica Jones as comics intended.

Fully costumed heroes like Spiderman and even Iron Man should absolutely appear in TV shows. The actors themselves would just do a little voice work and the stunt doubles/cgi can do the rest. Hell, you could do cameos with no voice work at all (or get sound alikes).

Pachimari

I'm out right now but just quickly read about Iron Fist, and damn finally we are getting news. By far my most anticipated Marvel project! I only read the headline so haven't actually read the news but I guess it has a show runner now which is good.

Ithil

but if he gave a shit, he'd cut through the bureaucracy and make it happen

Exactly. It's coordination between different arms of the same company, not rival companies.

Yes, he would use his magical powers to remove the blocks in front of him. That is how bureaucracy works.

So who do we want to play Danny Rand?

Casting for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage have all come out of left field for me. This includes secondary characters and supporting cast. I hope Marvel continues to surprise me with unknown/lesser known and under appreciated actors for their Netflix shows.

histopher

Who were the favorite fan casting anyway? Was it Scott Adkins until he were cast for Dr Strange?

Yeah he would have been perfect :(
Still a slim chance (1%) he is Iron Fist but cameoing in Dr Strange tho. Werent there also rumors the the doc would appear in the Defenders?

Pachimari

I'm sad to see, that Scott Buck doesn't have the best record apparently. I remain hopeful that it'll all turn out well. Now here's to waiting for the actual Danny Rand actor. At least Marvel think, that Scott had a very interesting script.

By the ways, Anthony Russo have said, that Ant-Man and Spider-Man are comic relief toward the end of the movie, while the first Doctor Strange concept art has also released.

So to summarize today's news:

- Marvel hires Scott Buck as Iron Fist showrunner
- First official concept art released
- Ant-Man and Spider-Man are comic relief in Civil War
- Russo brothers confirms Spider-Man is in Captain America: Civil War
- Avengers: Infinity War: Adding Defenders Into Film Is "Complicated"
- Civil War featurette from the Phase II box set
- Evangeline Lilly Reiterates Who Should Play ‘Janet Van Dyne’ In ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

Quick

Banned
I wouldn't be too concerned with Scott Buck's resume.

Looking at Marvel's hires in both TV and movies, they have a good track record so far.

He's dead dead. The only thing I could see him doing in the future is some flashbacks.

This still annoys me. I'm sure they felt like they needed to kill someone and I'm guessing they didn't want to bother with having to write plot points around his powers in later movies, but come on. So underutilized and could have been a big part of filling out that anemic New Avengers roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom