• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually kind of wondering if we'll see something similar to the angle they've taken with Civil War... where The Defenders may not actually be it's own show but may end up being an arc on an existing show.

Essentially Daredevil S3: The Defenders. I mean it may be S4 or it may be a JJ or Luke Cage series but you get the idea.

Season 2 of DD has the most crossover yet and they still havent crossed the most pivotal threshold yet...

Having the heroes actually meet

Sulik2

Casting news/rumours about Thor:Ragnarok has been quiet considering the film begins shooting in June. Only thing I've seen is that Mark Ruffalo is meant to be in it and so will Samuel L Jackson. Wondering what Nick Fury's role is in this?

My guess is Fury will have something to do with getting Hulk off Earth.

tomtom94

I'm actually kind of wondering if we'll see something similar to the angle they've taken with Civil War... where The Defenders may not actually be it's own show but may end up being an arc on an existing show.

Essentially Daredevil S3: The Defenders. I mean it may be S4 or it may be a JJ or Luke Cage series but you get the idea.

I would doubt it for contractual reasons. Would the other actors be happy being bit-parts in somebody else's series?

I would doubt it for contractual reasons. Would the other actors be happy being bit-parts in somebody else's series?

If it was a legitimate Defenders arc, they wouldn't be bit parts. And I don't see why they'd care if the pay was right and filming didn't conflict with other projects. It makes sense from the production side as well since Marvel/Netflix wouldn't have to source yet another crew, showrunner, etc...

Keeping all four individual shows going and then crossing them over in a fifth show is a lot of balls to juggle.

Unless Marvel/Disney and Netflix renegotiate the original contract, Defenders is going to be a separate show. What happens after that is anybody's guess.

I think they are doing a good job setting it up

Sure its very slow and subtle and mostly involves tertiary characters at this point but Im enjoying it

They did say they wanted to nail down all the individual stories first

Quick

Banned
They did say they wanted to nail down all the individual stories first

I think, now more than ever, this is so important. Batman v. Superman highlighted the importance of build-up and establishing characters individually, rather than shoehorning in everything in one go - which is what ended up happening with that movie.

Unless Marvel/Disney and Netflix renegotiate the original contract, Defenders is going to be a separate show. What happens after that is anybody's guess.

I realize that was the plan but there also wasn't mention of renewals on DD or JJ in those contracts (Defenders was being estimated as being out this year at the earliest) so I think there's room for change if the powers that be feel it's a better way to go.

I'm just considering the difficulty they've had with holding on to showrunners or securing them in general and of course the costs of running all these separate crews because the shows aren't one and done seasons allowing the reuse of staff.

jmood88

I realize that was the plan but there also wasn't mention of renewals on DD or JJ in those contracts (Defenders was being estimated as being out this year at the earliest) so I think there's room for change if the powers that be feel it's a better way to go.

I'm just considering the difficulty they've had with holding on to showrunners or securing them in general and of course the costs of running all these separate crews because the shows aren't one and done seasons allowing the reuse of staff.
What difficulty? The only showrunners who have left are the ones for Daredevil, both of which left when given the opportunity to direct movies, not because they had any problems.

tomtom94

Rewatching Avengers (it's on BBC1, yay), it's interesting to watch how much set-up it does for Winter Soldier and, by extension, Civil War.

What difficulty? The only showrunners who have left are the ones for Daredevil, both of which left when given the opportunity to direct movies, not because they had any problems.

It's not common to lose a showrunner after one season, regardless of the reason, let alone two showrunners in two seasons. And Iron Fist has clearly taken them longer than anticipated to get staffed and cast.

It's also not easy to maintain feel and character portrayal when you've got multiple unrelated showrunners handling them at different points of time. DD had the benefit of the first two showrunners having worked together long enough to understand each other. The second two coming from the writers room on S1 also helped maintain the feel and tone. DD, JJ, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist having separate showrunners thus different feel and tone works because they're separate. Whoever showruns The Defenders though has to mesh all 4 characters while keeping them accurate to their previous portrayals and yet maintaining their vision of The Defenders as a whole. That's 5 different creative voices + Marvel creative direction to take into account. 4 + Marvel isn't much less but it IS less.

Quick

Banned
Rewatching Avengers (it's on BBC1, yay), it's interesting to watch how much set-up it does for Winter Soldier and, by extension, Civil War.

I really liked the deleted scene with Cap looking over the Howling Commandos' files, then looking at Peggy's and her status was "retired" and her contact info was available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pov4qMSfg9w

Sets up his reunion in The Winter Soldier, but this would've been a nice tease. But at the same time, maybe it was for the best that they kept that off.

curb

Banned
I'd never seen that deleted scene before. I don't usually watch Blu-ray extras. That was pretty good. I'm surprised they cut that much product placement.

Anth0ny

Sounds like Marvel will screen Civil War nearly a month early on April 13 at CinemaCon. (Source)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

get ready for all the hype tweets from people coming out of the screening... and get ready to get all excited when everything is positive even though we just learned that positive early impressions really mean jack shit

guek

Banned
Sounds like Marvel will screen Civil War nearly a month early on April 13 at CinemaCon. (Source)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

get ready for all the hype tweets from people coming out of the screening... and get ready to get all excited when everything is positive even though we just learned that positive early impressions really mean jack shit

I for one have learned nothing. Bring on the hype.

duckroll

It's not common to lose a showrunner after one season, regardless of the reason, let alone two showrunners in two seasons. And Iron Fist has clearly taken them longer than anticipated to get staffed and cast.

You realize that Drew Goddard never made it to production right? He wrote the first two episodes and planned the overall arc, yes, but by the time they actually started shooting the series, it was DeKnight.

BLACKLAC

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That early is good news. They aren't fucking around. Disney is apparently very bullish about the film and know they have a big winner on their hands.

Is Goddard still on good terms with Marvel? I hope he gets the chance to work on another Marvel property after both Daredevil and Spidey fell through.

IHaveIce

Banned

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh god I need all the spoilers.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Cate Blanchett talking about joining Marvel and her role in Thor Ragnarok:

“The role in [Thor Ragnarok] came completely out of the blue,” said Cate Blanchett during a recent SK-II video interview. “And it’s a gift because the thing that I said to myself this year is that I’m gonna get fit.” During a separate interview, the Aussie actress reiterated wanting to get fit, and also expressed excitement to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. “I’m super, super excited about it,” she said of Ragnarok. “I’ve only done action a couple of times, so it feels like… a departure is too strong a word, but it certainly seems like a change for me. So, I am looking forward to getting really fit, and wearing lycra, and hoping to earn a bit of street cred from my kids. I can’t wait.”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/thor/...rs-thor-ragnarok-role-a-gift-as-chris-a132769

I'm really looking forward to the movie now and hopefully the thor movie will be actually good/great like winter soldier.

jmood88

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

We've known that early impressions, especially from the type of people who will be seeing this, are useless for a long time but I have more faith in this movie living up to the hype than the one that couldn't even get a good full trailer produced for it.

You realize that Drew Goddard never made it to production right? He wrote the first two episodes and planned the overall arc, yes, but by the time they actually started shooting the series, it was DeKnight.

I'm not sure why you pointed this out when it doesn't change my point at all.

Which side is Darcy on Civil War?

tumblr_n2m5jvAqXg1r95nllo4_r2_500.gif

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'd love it if for the MCU they rewrote Mephisto's role for Loki. Hiddleston playing Thanos' sleazy forced vassal would be incredibly entertaining.

Anth0ny

Wut? Daredevil would be so out of place in a Thanos movie it's not even funny.

Loki should replace Mephisto 100% though.

If Hawkeye can shoot his arrows and Black Widow can do flippy shit against super aliens in Avengers 1, I'm sure Daredevil can find a role in the mega movie that is supposed to tie this entire universe together.

tomtom94

My takeaway from that interview was "I'd do it, but I'd like a renegotiated contract first, like the others are getting."

Really want Hiddleston as Loki, he basically made Avengers 1.

Showaddy

If Hawkeye can shoot his arrows and Black Widow can do flippy shit against super aliens in Avengers 1, I'm sure Daredevil can find a role in the mega movie that is supposed to tie this entire universe together.

Well I guess if they go the Alien peons route again. Watching poor Matt trying to punch Thanos though just seems sad.

Even if Loki does die in Ragnarok, not like that prevents him from returning at some point in Infinity War. We know the key players but they won't be announcing any supporting cast members for a while.

jrush64

Banned
I'd honestly rather have Daredevil than Black Widow or Hawkeye in those movies. He's just too dope. Realistically does he have a chance to be in either of the Infinity Wars?

Quick

Banned
I'd honestly rather have Daredevil than Black Widow or Hawkeye in those movies. He's just too dope. Realistically does he have a chance to be in either of the Infinity Wars?

I think Charlie Cox has an option to appear in the movies as part of his contract. Just the matter of whether or not the Russos want Daredevil in any capacity.

Yrael

I remember Feige saying Loki would have a very big role to play in Infinity War:

http://screencrush.com/loki-thor-3-avengers-infinity-war/

Granted, that was over a year ago...but I feel that Marvel would be completely daft to drop Hiddleston entirely, given his enormous popularity and the reception he received at Comic Con. Hiddleston also recently said he was "unsure" about his return in Thor: Ragnarok:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tom-hiddleston-thor-ragnarok/

It's probably a polite way of saying that his contracts are being negotiated.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I can imagine after the presumed events building up to Infinity War Loki will turn face and join the heroes?

Especially if there's theory talk of Thanos stomping all over Asgard at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom